Move to ban boxing


Move to ban boxing

Author
Message
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Posts: 66K, Visits: 0
Quote:
Melbourne move to ban boxing after brutal fight

by: Brigid O'Connell From: The Sunday Telegraph May 20, 2012

THESE are the bloody images that have renewed calls from Victorian doctors to have boxing banned.

Spectators were splattered as local Brad Pitt left Queensland's Joel Casey dripping in blood during the undercard to the world title fight at the Pavilion in Flemington on Friday night.

Casey hung on to make the distance for the entire six rounds, despite handing an equally blood-soaked Pitt his 13th consecutive win.

AMA Victorian branch president Stephen Parnis said the gory photos showed why the sport should be banned on health grounds.

"The words that come to mind when I look at these photos is brutal and barbaric," Dr Parnis said.

"The inescapable fact is that the aim of this sport is to harm your opponent and render them unconscious. There is no safe way of doing that.

"There is mounting evidence that concussion is more serious in terms of life-long implications than we used to think. There are also issues of permanent disfigurement, scarring to the face, broken bones and permanent eye injuries.

"The graphic photos show blood flying everywhere. It's not just revolting, it's a health risk because blood transmits infectious diseases."

But ring-side physician Dr Peter Lewis said Victorian boxing leads the way in safety, and Casey's ability to defend himself was not affected by the cut between his eyes.

"The rules for stopping a fight are concussion or if a guy is unable to see because the blood is in his eyes," Lewis said. "But not only could the fighter defend himself, he won the last round.

"When the cut first occurred the ref and I stopped and conferred, but I said as long as he was defending himself and fighting well the match could continue. There were calls for a standing ovation afterwards because it was a fair and hard-fought battle."

Lewis also said all boxers were regularly tested for transmittable diseases.

"It looks terrible for them to be covered in blood, there's no doubt about it. But it's not infectious blood."

In the International Boxing Organisation's super-featherweight world title, "Wild Will" Tomlinson was dominant as he saw off Mexican Daniel Ruiz.

The judges' cards were all heavily in Tomlinson's favour - 70-62, 70-62, 69-63. Or in other words, one judge gave Ruiz one round, the sixth.

Ruiz, 23, is a big puncher who had knocked out 19 other men, but Tomlinson sat him on his backside with a classic left hook to the jaw in the first round, almost repeated the dose in the second, rocked him with another big left in the third and never looked back.

"Every time I looked into his eyes I could see I was breaking his spirit," Tomlinson said. "Another one or two rounds the ref would have stopped it or he would have quit on his stool.

"He would have been disappointed the fight didn't finish, but he was feeling my power so probably deep down he was relieved."

Tomlinson remains unbeaten with 19 wins and a draw and has provided solid evidence that he is the real deal.

Just as importantly, Tomlinson possesses an aggressive, watchable style that should continue to prove popular at the box-office and in televised fights.

At some stage, he and his management will need to find a way get in the ring with one of the champions from the four sanctioning bodies that carry more clout than the IBO, but that's a process in which talent often runs a frustrating third to politics and money.

In that respect, Tomlinson is a work in progress.

[http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/boxing/melbourne-move-to-ban-boxing-after-brutal-fight/story-e6freygr-1226361102586


Edited by Joffa: 20/5/2012 06:58:22 PM
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 49K, Visits: 0
Society would be much better off as a whole if all blood sports were banned.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

ual
ual
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 4.4K, Visits: 0
Fuck off.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 77K, Visits: 0
Heineken wrote:
Society would be much better off as a whole if all blood sports were banned.

Get fucked. It's just more ridiculous censorship. They're consenting adults that fully understand the potential consequences of stepping in the ring.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak because a baby can't chew it."

Let them fight and cut the namby pamby crap.
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 21K, Visits: 0
Heineken wrote:
Society would be much better off as a whole if all blood sports were banned.


Aren't you the one always bitching about political correctness?
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 77K, Visits: 0
Funky Munky wrote:
Heineken wrote:
Society would be much better off as a whole if all blood sports were banned.


Aren't you the one always bitching about political correctness?

Heineken's 'political correctness' only extends as far as Jew jokes and not the pro-choice ethos.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 21K, Visits: 0
I blame Brad Pitt for everything.
moofa
moofa
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 4.2K, Visits: 0
afromanGT wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:
Heineken wrote:
Society would be much better off as a whole if all blood sports were banned.


Aren't you the one always bitching about political correctness?

Heineken's 'political correctness' only extends as far as Jew jokes and not the pro-choice ethos.


while I think it would be stupid to ban blood sports there actually is a good chance in doing so society would be better off
Iridium1010
Iridium1010
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 13K, Visits: 0
I saw the end of this fight, ban boxing? stupid.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 77K, Visits: 0
moofa wrote:
afromanGT wrote:
Funky Munky wrote:
Heineken wrote:
Society would be much better off as a whole if all blood sports were banned.


Aren't you the one always bitching about political correctness?

Heineken's 'political correctness' only extends as far as Jew jokes and not the pro-choice ethos.


while I think it would be stupid to ban blood sports there actually is a good chance in doing so society would be better off

Tbh, I think people would just turn to other means to get their vicarious aggression fix.
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 6K, Visits: 0
They shouldn't ban boxing but they should have better regulations than just weight classes so that the unfair fights like Mundine has a lot of the time don't happen. It serves no-one when one person in the ring is only there to get beaten senseless.
ual
ual
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 4.4K, Visits: 0
This is the kind of shit that pisses me off about people talking about MMA/kickboxing/boxing. It's not human cockfighting, they're well aware of the situation and well trained for what they're doing in the ring/cage.
ozboy
ozboy
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 6.5K, Visits: 0
afromanGT wrote:
They're [size=7]consenting[/size] adults that [size=7]fully understand the potential consequences[/size] of stepping in the ring.

So can I flip that & assume you don't approve of sports involving animals because they don't consent, such as jumps racing?
:cool: :cool: :cool:
toffeeAU
toffeeAU
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 1.3K, Visits: 0
Perhaps the consenting adults should be afforded only a consenting adult audience. While i've no quantifiable evidence to satisfy the likes of notor, i'd argue there's a strong link between the emergence of extreme blood sports like cage fighting and a prevalence towards violence in youth. Perhaps they feed off each other. At least that's the impression I get from working where I do.
ual
ual
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 4.4K, Visits: 0
toffeeAU wrote:
Perhaps the consenting adults should be afforded only a consenting adult audience. While i've no quantifiable evidence to satisfy the likes of notor, i'd argue there's a strong link between the emergence of extreme blood sports like cage fighting and a prevalence towards violence in youth. Perhaps they feed off each other. At least that's the impression I get from working where I do.


Until you have evidence of that don't say it. Should we ban motorsports because they encourage hoon-like behaviour? No, it's stupid. Young males are idiots, some are idiots on the road, some are violent and some are drug dealers, whatever. If anything I'd argue that young, violent men competing in combat sports is a good thing because it gives them an appropriate time and place to do it.

Me personally, I train in Muay Thai kickboxing but I'm not a psychopath and I'm not going to go around starting fights with people for no reason. That being said I do get angry easily and am prone to violent thoughts but the fact that I have somewhere to go and punch and kick things to my hearts content in a controlled environment helps me and I'm sure helps others too. No matter what, whether combat sports are banned or not, we'll still have the same idiots going around being violent and starting fights with innocent people because that's how some people's brains work - whether or not competitive fighting is banned has no impact on that.
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 14K, Visits: 0
chillbilly wrote:
They shouldn't ban boxing but they should have better regulations than just weight classes so that the unfair fights like Mundine has a lot of the time don't happen. It serves no-one when one person in the ring is only there to get beaten senseless.


I agree with what you say but when was the last time Mundine beat someone senseless.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 77K, Visits: 0
ozboy wrote:
afromanGT wrote:
They're [size=7]consenting[/size] adults that [size=7]fully understand the potential consequences[/size] of stepping in the ring.

So can I flip that & assume you don't approve of sports involving animals because they don't consent, such as jumps racing?
:cool: :cool: :cool:

I can't say I'm a fan of horse racing or jumps racing. But that's a bit different to a fight, where the objective is to hurt each other. And for the record I'm nauseated by dog fighting and the ilk.

I don't think that you can blame combat sports for any perceived 'increase' in violence. Most of the kind of people who let their actions be dictated by combat sport violence are already violent lunatics and would be whether they're watching Kickboxing or flying a kite.
Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 12K, Visits: 0
:roll: @ Heineken

Boxing is not a blood sport ffs. Its a sport. Boxing is more than just "trying to knock your opponent unconscious"
There is so much technique involved and more to it than just punching.

The ignorance of some people (like the guy quoted in the article) is astounding in this day and age.

Kostya once proved a point by going the distance and winning on points because he wanted to prove that he is more than just a big hitter that can knock people out. He wanted to show the other side of boxing.
People don't see that at all.

Its like saying football is a shit sport because there are 0-0 draws.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 77K, Visits: 0
11.mvfc.11 wrote:
I guess if blood sports were banned we'd have more security guards at least.

Most of my bouncers are semi-professional fighters (or have been at some point) anyway :lol:
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 77K, Visits: 0
11.mvfc.11 wrote:
Oh, don't forget more ticket inspectors as well.

Ticket inspectors...no. They can't hold their own in fights, that's why they have to attack in groups.
Aanna
Aanna
Under 7s
Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2, Visits: 0
Well, for me this is the kind of shit that pisses me off about people talking about MMA or boxing. It's not human cockfighting, they're well aware of the situation and well trained for what they're doing in the ring/cage. 


Tags
Edited
4 Months Ago by mcjules
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.4K, Visits: 0
Be interesting to see if the concussion related deaths in the NFL have any bearing on boxing, MMA. Sports such as NFL can provide protective equipment to the head, introduce laws to reduce the risk of concussions / head collisions etc., however boxing and MMA have very limited capacity here (after all the most spectacular victory is by knocking your opponent out). How far does duty of care extend when one of the main objectives of the game is to cause a concussion?? I know there are rules about how long before another fight can occur and (in boxing at least) I am pretty sure there are rules about how many concussions you can suffer over a period of time before an extended break is required.

Is the saving grace for boxing and MMA the infrequency of the fights?? NFL play nearly every weekend for 20 odd weeks in a season, whereas an elite fighter has about 4 fights a year
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Posts: 11K, Visits: 0
Read title, thought getting rid of supermarket plastic bags was bad enough 
Aanna
Aanna
Under 7s
Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2, Visits: 0
I watch all, not ban etc 



















Edited
2 Months Ago by mcjules
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (26K reputation)Legend (26K reputation)Legend (26K reputation)Legend (26K reputation)Legend (26K reputation)Legend (26K reputation)Legend (26K reputation)Legend (26K reputation)Legend (26K reputation)Legend (26K reputation)Legend (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 26K, Visits: 0
5 years on and MMA has-been legalised. Eat Turds for breakfast. 


Bundoora Brah
Bundoora Brah
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 9.8K, Visits: 0
i would just ban it because it's boring.  




Expansion - FTA - P&R - Transfer Fees - NOW





Bundoora Brah
Bundoora Brah
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 9.8K, Visits: 0
TheSelectFew - 30 Sep 2017 7:45 AM
5 years on and MMA has-been legalised. Eat Turds for breakfast. 

kickboxing and mma shit on boxing.

Expansion - FTA - P&R - Transfer Fees - NOW





GO


Select a Forum....























Inside Sport


Search