Palmer, Clive

Palmer, Clive

Author
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Eastern Glory wrote:
Gaz wants in.

:lol:
Mr
Mr
World Class
World Class (6.1K reputation)World Class (6.1K reputation)World Class (6.1K reputation)World Class (6.1K reputation)World Class (6.1K reputation)World Class (6.1K reputation)World Class (6.1K reputation)World Class (6.1K reputation)World Class (6.1K reputation)World Class (6.1K reputation)World Class (6.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
On Q&A now - making Katter look sane
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Quote:

Clive Palmer won't make preference deals

Billionaire Clive Palmer's United Australia Party will not do preference deals with other parties in the federal election. Picture: Brett Costello

CLIVE Palmer's political party will not make any preference deals ahead of the federal election.
The Queensland mining magnate intends to field candidates in all lower house and Senate races in the federal election under the Palmer United Party name, provided it is registered.
But he says he won't do preference deals with other parties.
"We won't be doing any deals with anyone," he told ABC's Q&A program on Monday.
"I'll be hoping we get a lot of preferences from (Opposition Leader) Tony Abbott, we'll accept his preferences gratefully.
"I don't think our preferences will be distributed."
Parties often do deals relating to Senate ballots, where they can decide how preferences will be distributed if electors vote above the line.
For House of Representative races, preference deals relate to how to vote cards.
Bob Katter says his Katter's Australian Party will work out preferences on a seat-by-seat and state-by-state basis.
"But if anyone thinks that we're there to jump when the Liberal Party cracks the whip, you're making one hell of a big mistake," he told Q&A.
He likened the two-party system to the Coles and Woolworths supermarket duopoly.
"I can't see any difference in their policies," he said.
Mr Palmer said Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Mr Abbott were both "pretty boring".
"If you're happy with everything that's being done and that's enough for you and your family...you should vote again for Tony Gillard (Gillard) and Julia Abbott (Abbott)," he said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news/palmer-wont-make-preference-deals/story-fncynjr2-1226641596919#ixzz2TD82YQxI

blacka
blacka
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Well after watching that, Palmer seems like a dangerous mix of superficial and swing with the breeze populist. He'll most likely get tripped up stating two completely opposing policy positions and not even noticing. Give him a little bit more of an audience beyond his employees and yikes...danger danger... :shock:

StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend

Quote:

Billionaire Clive Palmer confirms his wife is pregnant

BIG PLANS: Clive and Anna Palmer with daughter Mary in front of a poster for his planned Titanic II cruise liner.

IF you noticed a spring in Clive Palmer's step as he touts his Titanic-like tilt for Canberra, it's because the billionaire has a baby on board.
The mischief-making mining magnate told news.com.au that his wife, Bulgarian-born Anna, is eight weeks pregnant.
"I think, like most Australians who are having babies, I'm pretty happy about it," he said.
"I found out a couple of weeks ago and it's a big celebration for me. I look forward to becoming prime minister and a new dad at the same time.
"(Anna) is excited and happy. Our other children Michael, Emily and Mary are all excited about it."
Mr Palmer married Anna, 20 years his junior, in 2007. Mary arrived a year later.

Clive and Anna Palmer at a Titanic event in August 2012. Image: Bernice Wood.

His eldest two children are from his marriage to his first wife Susan, who he lost to cancer.
The 59-year-old said that while his three kids "seemed pretty happy" with him as a dad, he could probably do better.
"I'm sure I'm not doing enough, I'm sure I can be doing more," he said.
"No parent is ever doing enough.

"You've got to remember when they give a baby to you at the hospital it's only got the husband and wife to look after it in the world and it's a sacred trust you've got to take very seriously."
Queensland's richest man - who is busily juggling his business empire, Titanic II project and politics - said they were yet to consider baby names.
But he wouldn't rule out Rose or Jack, the names of characters from the film Titanic.
"Rose would be good. We'll see how it goes," he said.

Clive Palmer with his wife Anna, daughters Emily and Mary, and son Michael in 2009. Image: News Queensland.

"We'll make sure we have a name that makes sure everyone realises that he's an individual or she's an individual. That's what important with a name."
Right now the billionaire, who is launching a fledgling political party, has bigger issues at hand.
Last night he hit another hurdle in trying to register his Palmer United Party (PUP) before the federal election.
He said the Australian Electoral Commission had rejected the PUP because it had too many members.

PARTY TIME: Clive Palmer announces his candidate for the Sunshine Coast seat of Fisher, Palmer resort manager Bill Schoch. Picture: Megan Slade

But if his bold bid for the lodge succeeds, Mr Palmer said running the country will come first.
"Being prime minister is more important (than kids) because you've got a stake in the country and their future and you know what other people having kids are going through," he said.
"But nothing can take the place of time and love. You've got to make sure you read stories to your kids every night before they go to bed so they realise they're important.
"I'm a person who's got a lot of good support staff and resources. I've got my own plane, cars and staff so having that support really helps you a lot (to juggle everything)."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/billionaire-clive-palmers-wife-is-pregnant/story-fnet08xa-1226641873794#ixzz2TEVmYvPq

The thought of Money must make her cum cause I can't image the sight of him naked would.
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

I have this sick feeling we're going to turn into America soon and guys like this are going to get in.

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Don't worry guys, Higgins will help him out.
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend

Draupnir wrote:
Don't worry guys, Higgins will help him out.

Did anyone see the speech by Glen Lazarus on the news yesterday, Palmer was standing behind him mouthing the words as if he wrote the speech, then when questions were asked by the media Palmer told him not to speak..worrying

Quote:
Glenn Lazarus will vie for a seat in the Federal Senate after joining Clive Palmer's United Party

United ... Scott Higgins, Clive Palmer and Glenn Lazarus. Source: Glenn Barnes / News Limited

Former Test prop Glenn Lazarus will stand for the senate on Clive Palmer's Palmer United Party ticket.

By getting to the end of his maiden press conference in Brisbane, Lazarus has already enjoyed a longer political career than his former State of Origin rival and ex-Canberra Raiders teammate Mal Meninga, whose political ambitions came to an abrupt end in a comical press conference in 2001.

Lazarus has earmarked Palmer, the eccentric Queensland mining billionaire, as an outstanding choice to be Australia’s next Prime Minister.

"I am standing to help deliver the vision of the Palmer United Party for all Australians,”’ said Lazarus, nicknamed the Brick with Eyes during his State of Origin days with NSW.

"Right now the nation as a whole desperately needs an alternative to the tired and clueless government of Julia Gillard and the Tony Abbott-led Opposition, which has virtually the same policies as Labor.

"We need someone with integrity and expertise that can lead us out of this economic crisis and create community wealth and jobs. It’s time for a change to Clive Palmer and the Palmer United Party.”

Palmer announced the Queensland Senate team to stand for the party at the September 14 federal election Thursday.

He said joining Lazarus will be veteran Brisbane barrister and former crown prosecutor Harry Fong and former A-League football goalkeeper Scott Higgins.

Lazarus is 47 and won premierships with Canberra, Brisbane and Melbourne Storm, played 22 State of Origin matches for NSW and 21 Tests for Australia. He lives in Brisbane.

Meninga announced he would be standing as an Independent for a seat in the ACT Legislative assembly in 2001 but soon after withdrew by saying: "And the thing about that is, I guess, I was a public figure and I was put on the podium where I was just a person out there ... I'm buggered, I'm sorry, I have to resign."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/glenn-lazarus-will-vie-for-a-seat-in-the-federal-senate-after-joining-clive-palmers-united-party/story-fn2mcuj6-1226644551976#.UZVuGrU3Dzw
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Locked out of the house Clive built
Date
June 2, 2013

It was just a request for billionaire Clive Palmer to contact his critically ill half-brother George in hospital but the reply was startling in its tone.

''How many times did he [George] visit me as a boy or a teenager. How many letters or cards did he send me on birthdays, at Christmas, and how many times did he visit me when I was dying in hospital as a boy,'' snapped back the email to George's son, David.

''Not once a phone call, not one letter, not one card, so don't preach to me what you don't know. He knew where we lived. He was just too busy chasing women,'' said the email from a ''Terry Smith''. (A former managing director of one of Palmer's companies gave evidence in a 2011 NSW Supreme Court case that ''Terry Smith'' was an alias used by Palmer.)

Now, prompted by their relative's growing public prominence, Palmer's half-brother George and his immediate family have revealed the bitter email exchange. They fear Palmer has split the family by bestowing wealth on one half and airbrushing out the others.

Advertisement
''I used to be proud of Clive but he changed my own mind for me, accusing me of chasing women,'' says George. ''I think he's got too much power. He's too big in the mouth.''

On Saturday, Palmer denied sending the email. ''I don't know anything about the email. My name is not on it.''

But Palmer later said he couldn't rule out that someone from his organisation or family did send the email: ''I personally didn't do it. Whether someone else did on my staff, whether my mother did, who knows,'' he said.

From his mansion in Queensland, a long way from his elderly half-brother's two-bedroom rental in Geelong, Palmer has been busy making his mining fortune, pushing his Titanic II plan, and amping up his political ambitions.

As he has built his business empire, Palmer has kept some members of his family close, such as his half-sister Fay Brewster from his father's first marriage. He has appointed members of her family to key roles in his businesses and his political party.

But George, also from Palmer's father's first marriage, appears to have been locked out of Clive's inner sanctum and even at times rejected. It's a situation that has baffled 85-year-old George and his two sons, David and Chris.

George says his father was, as Palmer proudly maintains, an innovative and visionary businessman. But there the two sons' impressions of their father part ways.

Palmer speaks of his father in only glowing terms, but George says his father was also a rogue and womaniser who seemed to have little time for his family.

George was 14 when his parents broke up. George senior then married Nancy, Clive's mother. For many years George wondered what his father was up to but says he never tried to find out, believing his father did not want to see him.

Then in the early 1990s, George says, without warning Palmer called saying he wanted to meet him and his family at the Hyatt Hotel in Melbourne for dinner. Just before they sat down at the table to eat, Clive dropped a bombshell, says George.

''You know your father had no money," he told George.

George was stunned as he realised then that his father was dead.

"It made me wonder if Clive was worried about us going after the will," he says.

The next occasion George had contact with his half-brother was in the late 1990s when he needed a hip operation. George says he mentioned it to his father's elderly brother and Palmer paid for the operation.

On another occasion Palmer visited George in hospital when he had open heart surgery. But apart from these few instances, George says his immediate family had almost no other contact.

But in 2010, George went into hospital for surgery on vein blockage. He says he asked his son to contact Palmer and tell him he was in hospital.

It was this that led to the email exchange.David said he sent a standard request to Palmer's official email and heard nothing.

He then sent a more forceful message: "I realise that you are a very busy man looking after and controlling 'your' empire, however I do believe that your only brother should have some sort of meaning to you, but it appears that you have just followed my grandfather's ways, your father, by forgetting that he had another son, and that you have a brother?"

It was this email that prompted the response from a "Terry Smith" on January 25, 2010, which the family believes came from Palmer.

"Your email not accurate or fair, ask your father who paid for his hip replacement and who visited him in hospital, not you," said the email.

"But you're right I'm overseas and too busy to see him and you know nothing of your grandfather. He was a person who had real content in his character, something you should aim for."

Palmer said on Saturday that he had only met George "for four days for my whole life".

"It's amazing that when you're a billionaire and standing for prime minister a lot of people come out of the cupboard," he said.

Ads by Google

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/locked-out-of-the-house-clive-built-20130601-2niyi.html#ixzz2UyjD8SXt

Edited by Joffa: 2/6/2013 01:26:07 AM
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Wow. This guy really is a certifiably insane self-centred asshole.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

playmaker11 wrote:
I have this sick feeling we're going to turn into America soon and guys like this are going to get in.

Or Russia, with Putin and his mates owning all the gas and oil.

Fun fact: Putin's party is called United Russia Party.

Edited by paladisious: 2/6/2013 05:32:38 AM
KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

playmaker11 wrote:

I don't think that's particularly likely with the Westminster system.

Hello

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

KenGooner_GCU wrote:
playmaker11 wrote:

It's plausible though. Especially when so many people are looking for an alternative to the assclowns we have at the moment.

But the second palmer gets in power the minimum wage will be cut and taxes will be restructured to favour the rich.
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend

afromanGT wrote:
KenGooner_GCU wrote:
playmaker11 wrote:

It's plausible though. Especially when so many people are looking for an alternative to the assclowns we have at the moment.

But the second palmer gets in power the minimum wage will be cut and taxes will be restructured to favour the rich.

I would like to think the majority (and that includes the very stupid, fucked up twisted sick minded fools, not forgeting the ferals) of Australian voters would be smarter then elect this fool or any of his henchmen, In all seriousness, if this "political" party came to power I think I'd move to Fiji and open a dive shop.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

StiflersMom wrote:
afromanGT wrote:
KenGooner_GCU wrote:
playmaker11 wrote:

I would like to think the majority (and that includes the very stupid, fucked up twisted sick minded fools, not forgeting the ferals) of Australian voters would be smarter then elect this fool or any of his henchmen, In all seriousness, if this "political" party came to power I think I'd move to Fiji and open a dive shop.

You got your football coaching badges in Italy, I see?

[size=2]Yes, that joke is seven years late. Sue me.[/size]
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Clive Palmer newspaper may be on the cards
Date
July 4, 2013 - 8:28PM

Miner and wannabe prime minister Clive Palmer might now be preparing to take on media mogul Rupert Murdoch, owner of the newspaper he is suing.

Mr Palmer has lodged a trade mark for The Australian Times.

The application suggests the publication might include online and print versions, real estate advertising and even broadcasting services.

Palmer has recently clashed with reporters from The Australian newspaper.

Advertisement
In June, he barred a reporter from national broadsheet from a Palmer United Party media event in Adelaide, describing the newspaper as "just a rag".

Mr Palmer's lawyers recently launched Queensland Supreme Court defamation proceedings against the News Ltd newspaper and two of its journalists.

The mining magnate wants to field candidates in every federal seat in the upcoming election and says he'd like to be prime minister.

Australia's richest person Gina Rinehart in 2012 controversially bought a substantial share in Fairfax Media.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/clive-palmer-newspaper-may-be-on-the-cards-20130704-2pevq.html#ixzz2Y4dlKD22
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Date

Miner and wannabe prime minister Clive Palmer might now be preparing to take on media mogul Rupert Murdoch, owner of the newspaper he is suing.

The application suggests the publication might include online and print versions, real estate advertising and even broadcasting services.

Advertisement
In June, he barred a reporter from national broadsheet from a Palmer United Party media event in Adelaide, describing the newspaper as "just a rag".

Mr Palmer's lawyers recently launched Queensland Supreme Court defamation proceedings against the News Ltd newspaper and two of its journalists.

The mining magnate wants to field candidates in every federal seat in the upcoming election and says he'd like to be prime minister.

Australia's richest person Gina Rinehart in 2012 controversially bought a substantial share in Fairfax Media.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/clive-palmer-newspaper-may-be-on-the-cards-20130704-2pevq.html#ixzz2Y4dlKD22
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Date

Advertisement

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search