Exercise and Workout thread!

Exercise and Workout thread!

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
TheSelectFew - 5 Feb 2018 2:45 PM
Almost pushing 50kg again at the gym. Going again tonight after work. Hope all goes well.

In which exercise - squats, dead lift, bench press, snatch, clean and jerk?

A single rep?

Multiple reps?
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

pv4 - 5 Feb 2018 8:59 AM
#pv4runs

Week 8 diary:

2018-01-29 - rest day. 
2018-01-30 - rest day. Was meant to be an 8km run but had a lot of bullshit in my personal and work life happen and just couldn't be arsed running!
2018-01-31 - 8km run. Was meant to be my Cross train day but had to make up for the missed day previous. Was stitched up by mrs v4, she told me if I ran to one of the local set of shops it was 4km exactly away and so i could do there and back. But they're only 3km away, so had to make an extra km up haha! That was morally deflating :lol: I ended up setting a pace far quicker than I expected to.
2018-02-01 - rest day. Was meant to be a 10km run but due to previously mentioned home&work issues I was once again deflated. 
2018-02-02 - 10.8km run. I made up for the missed day previously. I set a pretty decent pace, particularly with the hills on the course I chose. 
2018-02-03 - 5km parkrun! Touristed to a parkrun I hadn't done before (Fingal Bay), and it is actually the second last on my list to becoming a Newcastle Regionaire! The course was great, people lovely, and to top it all off I got disturbingly close to my global PB! Really had a great day driving all the way there and back for it!
2018-02-04 - 10km run. Well, actually a 9.7km run! My first official running event during my training program, the Summer Run City in Newcastle. The organisers of this event are notorious around town for being disorganised. I hadn't experienced anything noticeably bad in the 2-3 runs I'd done under them though. But this one pissed some people off - the course was short, the running bib numbers were all out of whack, and it ended up on a shared course which for an actual event I'm not used to. Highlight of the day for me though was Olympic Marathon runner & Novocastrian Scott Westcott was the Lead Bike, and yelled at me at one stage :lol: 

This week is going to be interesting. Thursdays midweek run is 11km, which is the longest midweek I've had planned to date. And this upcoming Sunday I have the 29km run, which I'm planning to actually do 30km by doing the Fernleigh Track out-and-back. There's not too many weeks I'm running less than 40km in the near future! 

Oh and it's 12 weeks until my marathon! Woohoo!

Are you finding you are losing weight from all the running?

How much weight have you lost?
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Decentric - 7 Feb 2018 9:53 AM
pv4 - 5 Feb 2018 8:59 AM

Are you finding you are losing weight from all the running?

How much weight have you lost?

Yes, absolutely. Somewhere in the vicinity of 8-10kg since November. And the running pace is getting better and easier as a byproduct.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

pv4 - 7 Feb 2018 10:15 AM
Decentric - 7 Feb 2018 9:53 AM

Yes, absolutely. Somewhere in the vicinity of 8-10kg since November. And the running pace is getting better and easier as a byproduct.

One theory that  was put into practice with a mate who only ran, by testing his mates, is that with only distance running upper body strength decreases.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Decentric - 8 Feb 2018 8:48 AM
pv4 - 7 Feb 2018 10:15 AM

One theory that  was put into practice with a mate who only ran, by testing his mates, is that with only distance running upper body strength decreases.

That'd be difficult for me to achieve, due to the fact I had very little upper body strength to begin with!
pv4
pv4
Legend

#pv4runs

Week 9 diary:

2018-02-05 Monday - rest day.
2018-02-06 Tuesday - rest day. Was meant to be a 6.5km run but the last fortnight has been pretty tough mentally (not running related) and couldn't find the motivation to run.
2018-02-07 Wednesday - another rest day. Really not feeling it.
2018-02-08 Thursday - 10.8km run. The joggers were back on! Not a superb pace but got some decent kms in and felt good.
2018-02-09 Friday - rest day.
2018-02-10 Saturday - 5km parkrun! This was our little parkrun's 5th birthday, and we had our 3rd highest ever attendance. Having so many people there was so great, apart from the fact that it was so damn congested and most of the time I couldn't pass people with the double pram. The concept of "keep left" just gets thrown out the window at parkrun, apparently :lol: I enjoyed the run, enjoyed the atmosphere, but it was hard work not to get angry for not being allowed past.
2018-02-11 Sunday - 30km run. Woof! What a run! I actually felt better on this one than a fortnight ago for my 24km run. A lot of it came down to weather - whilst this was still humid and hot, it wasn't nearly as bad as a fortnight ago. I got to experience the Fernleigh Track, a 15km long path on a repurposed former Train Line from Belmont to Adamstown. So it was a great experience - a new path, historical learning, and a decent course to get some serious kms in! Biggest problem the Fernleigh has is its lack of facilities along it (bathrooms, taps, bubblers) but luckily my body decided not to need nature too often and I just had a great run. I also randomly ran into about 3 different people I know on the track, all unexpected, so got a couple of good catchups in too. Being able to semi-comfortably achieve this distance only halfway thru my training plan makes me feel good about what I can achieve come race day. I'm nowhere near ready to do the full distance this moment, but I have a renewed confidence in what I'll be able to do in April!

vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hey Guys,

I"m looking at getting the TRX workout bands. Just wondering if anyone of you have ever use them and if you have any feedback for me.

Cheers
Edited
6 Years Ago by vincenzogold
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

pv4 - 8 Feb 2018 9:01 AM
Decentric - 8 Feb 2018 8:48 AM

That'd be difficult for me to achieve, due to the fact I had very little upper body strength to begin with!

You'd have to have a fair bit of upper body strength as you've played high level football in probably the most physical position!

You'd have to have a strong core at least.
pv4
pv4
Legend

Decentric - 14 Feb 2018 10:31 PM
pv4 - 8 Feb 2018 9:01 AM

You'd have to have a fair bit of upper body strength as you've played high level football in probably the most physical position!

You'd have to have a strong core at least.

Picture me like John Hutchinson - very bottom heavy and knows how to throw my weight around! :lol:
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

vincenzogold - 13 Feb 2018 11:12 AM
Hey Guys,

I"m looking at getting the TRX workout bands. Just wondering if anyone of you have ever use them and if you have any feedback for me.

Cheers

I don't know much about them.

Why are you so keen on them?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Decentric - 29 Jan 2018 5:28 PM
Roar_Brisbane - 1 Jan 2018 10:32 PM

I don't do squats and dead lifts, due to a dodgy back, but I've recently bench pressed:

12 reps at 75kg

15 reps at 68kg

25 reps at 52kg.

I'm not willing to lift bigger weights, due to possibility of injury and slow injury recovery at 61 years of age, so I do very high reps. 

A couple of new highs at 61 years of age for Bench P.

*20 reps at 61kg. ( It felt easy too, whereas when I previously did 16 at 63.5kg it was hard). 

*25 reps at 54k.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Decentric - 15 Feb 2018 2:45 PM
vincenzogold - 13 Feb 2018 11:12 AM

I don't know much about them.

Why are you so keen on them?

Cause i injured myself using wieghts and these are suppose to be good for injuries.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

vincenzogold - 16 Feb 2018 1:47 PM
Decentric - 15 Feb 2018 2:45 PM

Cause i injured myself using wieghts and these are suppose to be good for injuries.

I hope this is a bit of helpful advice from somebody who has lifted weights for 43 years.

From ages 16 - 25 I often pulled muscles from lifting heavy weights, often doing 5 - 8 reps. Each rep required a lot of effort. It may have increased muscle mass and strength fairly quickly though.

In a martial  arts book I read in my mid twenties, it recommended power weight training. This involves doing 12 - 20 reps and is a combination of strength and speed, which equates to power.

I have done the increased reps, lighter weights routines since. I've never pulled a muscle doing the higher reps. At times I've even gone up to 25 - 30 reps. if one does circuit training,  which includes using different body exercises ( sit ups, ex bike, cross trainer, tuck jumps, etc) between weight sets, one also gets fitter. Also, no time is wasted in the gym resting between weight sets.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Decentric - 19 Feb 2018 7:27 AM
vincenzogold - 16 Feb 2018 1:47 PM

I hope this is a bit of helpful advice from somebody who has lifted weights for 43 years.

From ages 16 - 25 I often pulled muscles from lifting heavy weights, often doing 5 - 8 reps. Each rep required a lot of effort. It may have increased muscle mass and strength fairly quickly though.

In a martial  arts book I read in my mid twenties, it recommended power weight training. This involves doing 12 - 20 reps and is a combination of strength and speed, which equates to power.

I have done the increased reps, lighter weights routines since. I've never pulled a muscle doing the higher reps. At times I've even gone up to 25 - 30 reps. if one does circuit training,  which includes using different body exercises ( sit ups, ex bike, cross trainer, tuck jumps, etc) between weight sets, one also gets fitter. Also, no time is wasted in the gym resting between weight sets.

Furthermore, to increase the loading  of lighter weights, high  rep routines, to avoid injury, try negatives.

This means taking four seconds to return the weight after lifting it.

For example instead of bringing the weight quickly back to one's chest when bench pressing after lifting the weight, count four seconds and lower it down slowly while counting. Do the same with curls, triceps extensions and squats.

This has increased my strength a fair bit, even aged in my sixties. This is  following the advice of a nationally second ranked powerlifter.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Decentric - 15 Feb 2018 2:51 PM
Decentric - 29 Jan 2018 5:28 PM

A couple of new highs at 61 years of age for Bench P.

*20 reps at 61kg. ( It felt easy too, whereas when I previously did 16 at 63.5kg it was hard). 

*25 reps at 54k.

* New mark of 20 reps at 63.5kg for Bench Press.

63.5kg is circa 140 pounds in the old scale.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Decentric - 27 Feb 2018 10:54 PM
Decentric - 15 Feb 2018 2:51 PM

* New mark of 20 reps at 63.5kg for Bench Press.

63.5kg is circa 140 pounds in the old scale.

Free weight or machine?

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Dumb question - do people count the bar when they list their bench press weight?

I never counted the bar, but it’s 20kg so I’m not sure if I should?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

TheSelectFew - 27 Feb 2018 11:03 PM
Decentric - 27 Feb 2018 10:54 PM

Free weight or machine?

Machine.

When I only did free weights 30 - 40 years ago, I found the machines harder on the rare occasions I used them for Bench Press. The push back, negative effect, of machines, meant I could lift more with free weights.

At my age, I tend to only use light weights for exercises that require low weights to still feel muscles working sufficiently hard. The machines are safer in order to reduce injury when increasing the weight. They isolate muscle groups. Increasing the reps creates endurance. 

Nevertheless, I still do most exercises with machines, and, the free weight equivalent - usually with dumbbells on fit balls and bosus. These work all  muscle groups more, particularly the core. They increase overall intensity for the whole  body.

Even though I'm building little muscle compared to how much I train now,  4 - 7days per week as a 61 year old, compared to when I was in my twenties and thirties, when I trained 3 times a week, I'm nearly as strong in Bench Press. I just cannot risk low reps of 1 to 8 reps though.

What has been revolutionary in making high reps, lower weights more intensive, has been doing negatives. It has increased my strength over the  last two years.

Where I am much, much weaker  compared to 30 years ago, is doing whole body exercises. In my twenties I used to do dips and wide grip chins with extra 25 kg weights. Now, even with no weight added, it feels like a real strain. It feels like a muscle can be pulled at any time. 

I have a mate of my age, and often  training partner over the last 40 years, who has trained more consistently over the same 40 years without breaks. He still does chins and dips. He also does low reps in Bench Press using free weights - 85kg sets doing 5- 8 reps. I'm intending to see what he can lift with the machines doing high reps.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

One of the great things with weights is seeing how one improves.

It is exciting when one is improving.

When I was young, often after two month stints I'd get sick of training when I plateaued and would frequently quit for a while.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Aljay - 28 Feb 2018 10:18 PM
Dumb question - do people count the bar when they list their bench press weight?I never counted the bar, but it’s 20kg so I’m not sure if I should?

Definitely count the bar.

It is not a dumb question.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Dumb question - do people count the bar when they list their bench press weight?I never counted the bar, but it’s 20kg so I’m not sure if I should?

Of course not, do you include the weight of your hand when you do a bicep curl?
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Definitely. I've been lifting on and off for nearly 15 years and everyone counts the bar. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Never count the bar. Dont be soft.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

After avoiding injury for 20-30 odd years, I've strained muscles just below  the trapezius in my back.

So much for higher reps, lower weights, to avoid injury!
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Decentric - 8 Mar 2018 8:30 AM
After avoiding injury for 20-30 odd years, I've strained muscles just below  the trapezius in my back.

So much for higher reps, lower weights, to avoid injury!

LOL as if you actually believe that...

Get well soon.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

One of the huge changes in working out in gyms has been the number of women who train in  them .

In Australia 16% of men train in gyms as opposed to 19% of women.

25% of women jog for fitness, whilst 22% of men jog.

In  a bookshop I visited the other day, most of the books for weight training were specifically for women. Most exercises I've learnt from fellow gym trainers have been from women as most seem to work the core a lot  on average.

I know most people viewing this are males, but it would be interesting to view the Youtube video, Icelandic Cross Trainers Are Awesome.

Given what look like enormous weights they are lifting in snatches, clean and jerks, presses and squats, plus their gymnastic exercises, they have little upper body muscular development. They are absolutely ripped, and, are serious eye candy too.

Comparatively, if one views Cassie Martin body building You tube videos, using more conventional body building /weight training methods, she is probably  as muscular as a women can get, before one looks  masculine. She is using much lighter weights in exercises  like Bench Press, than the Icelandic cross trainers. Cassie Martin is also serious eye candy.

There is also a steroid look for women who get very muscular, which makes them look like men, who are much more muscular than Cassie Martin. The female competitive bodybuilders I know don't have Cassie Martin's upper body musculature., but probably have her core and lower body physique.

There is also a great deal of stigma telling people one is a bodybuilder, with connotations of narcissism.

Thoughts?
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Decentric - 8 Mar 2018 9:08 AM
One of the huge changes in working out in gyms has been the number of women who train in  them .

In Australia 16% of men train in gyms as opposed to 19% of women.

25% of women jog for fitness, whilst 22% of men jog.

In  a bookshop I visited the other day, most of the books for weight training were specifically for women. Most exercises I've learnt from fellow gym trainers have been from women as most seem to work the core a lot  on average.

I know most people viewing this are males, but it would be interesting to view the Youtube video, Icelandic Cross Trainers Are Awesome.

Given what look like enormous weights they are lifting in snatches, clean and jerks, presses and squats, plus their gymnastic exercises, they have little upper body muscular development. They are absolutely ripped, and, are serious eye candy too.

Comparatively, if one views Cassie Martin body building You tube videos, using more conventional body building /weight training methods, she is probably  as muscular as a women can get, before one looks  masculine. She is using much lighter weights in exercises  like Bench Press, than the Icelandic cross trainers. Cassie Martin is also serious eye candy.

There is also a steroid look of women who get very muscular, which makes them look like men, who are much more muscular than Cassie Martin. The female competitive bodybuilders I know don't have Cassie Martin's upper body musculature., but probably have her core and lower body physique.

There is also a great deal of stigma telling people one is a bodybuilder, with connotations of narcissism.

Thoughts?

Gym folk are among the nicest people in the world because they are hardworking and at one point or another they would have been picked on. Thats a generalisation but its generally true.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

To summarise my previous post - homework for posters.

*Icelandic Women Cross Trainer videos on Youtube.

*Cassie Martin Bodybuilding videos on Youtube.

Are these women too muscular, or not?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

TheSelectFew - 8 Mar 2018 9:18 AM
Decentric - 8 Mar 2018 9:08 AM

Gym folk are among the nicest people in the world because they are hardworking and at one point or another they would have been picked on. Thats a generalisation but its generally true.

40 years ago, I'd agree many were very nice, but they hadn't been picked on. Gyms were very friendly places.

A greater number of people who had been picked on attend martial arts classes.

In this era, there are many on steroids, and others who aren't, who are quite unsociable. They don't want any contact with anyone else in the gym. Many of them wear headphones and stare past other people avoiding any eye contact..
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Decentric - 8 Mar 2018 9:25 AM
TheSelectFew - 8 Mar 2018 9:18 AM

40 years ago, I'd agree many were very nice, but they hadn't been picked on. Gyms were very friendly places.

In this era, there are many on steroids, and others, who are quite unsociable. They don't want any contact with anyone else in the gym.

Thats the biggest load of shit I have ever heard. You must be at the wrong gym. And don't give me this crap that 40 years ago the world had rainbows and lollypops. Crap. Half the bodybuilders of those days are gone. Why? Because of drug use.

Find a new gym. But don't bring on this generational shit because its crap.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search