The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Footballer - 28 Mar 2019 11:07 AM
Eldar - 28 Mar 2019 10:47 AM

Marvel Stadium is owned by the AFL

You reckon they'd allow one club to claim naming right to their own stadium?  

he was just making a statement.

good to see the thunder stand up for them self! 
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Eldar - 28 Mar 2019 10:47 AM

Marvel Stadium is owned by the AFL

You reckon they'd allow one club to claim naming right to their own stadium?  

No I don't because it would be a dick move, just as it is a dick move by GWS to name a multi-purpose stadium after themselves.

Hopefully a few people see how aggressive these Melbourne franchises are and start boycotting games.

Beaten by Eldar

Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Eldar - 28 Mar 2019 11:40 AM

No I don't because it would be a dick move, just as it is a dick move by GWS to name a multi-purpose stadium after themselves.

Hopefully a few people see how aggressive these Melbourne franchises are and start boycotting games.

sure - but if WSW fans stumped up to buy the naming rights of the new Parra Stadium, so its was Wanderers Stadium, would we think it was awesome, or would we thing it was a dick move to the Eels (even though the Eels don't play in summer like the Thunder do)?
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Footballer - 28 Mar 2019 3:30 PM

sure - but if WSW fans stumped up to buy the naming rights of the new Parra Stadium, so its was Wanderers Stadium, would we think it was awesome, or would we thing it was a dick move to the Eels (even though the Eels don't play in summer like the Thunder do)?

That's an interesting question.  Presumably, a government body owns and runs Parra stadium, and given how new it is, they'd be wanting to get maximum cash for naming rights.

With the Giants stadium, I'm assuming the Royal Easter Show people run the whole stadium, and are probably happy to accept whatever the Giants offered.  Probably a close, cosy relationship between the two.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Footballer - 28 Mar 2019 3:30 PM

I don't think it would be allowed or either team would contemplate it, it would be a total dick mive.

Beaten by Eldar

jatz
jatz
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

GWS is an organisation that is after as much brand exposure as possible.  Thats why organisations buy naming rights to stadiums.  Why is it worse for a sporting organisation to buy naming rights to a stadium than say, an insurance company, or a multinational, or anybody else willing to stump up the money.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

jatz - 28 Mar 2019 4:44 PM

GWS is an organisation that is after as much brand exposure as possible.  Thats why organisations buy naming rights to stadiums.  Why is it worse for a sporting organisation to buy naming rights to a stadium than say, an insurance company, or a multinational, or anybody else willing to stump up the money.

Because they share the stadium. It makes it feel more like home for GWS and more like you are playing in someone else's home for The Thunder.

It wouldn't be fair for WSW to play at Eeel's Stadium or Sydney FC to play at Roosters Stadium or Melbourne City to play at Victory Stadium and hopefully this doesn't set a precedent for all teams to quickly snap up naming rights.

Beaten by Eldar

Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Eldar - 28 Mar 2019 4:55 PM

Because they share the stadium. It makes it feel more like home for GWS and more like you are playing in someone else's home for The Thunder.

It wouldn't be fair for WSW to play at Eeel's Stadium or Sydney FC to play at Roosters Stadium or Melbourne City to play at Victory Stadium and hopefully this doesn't set a precedent for all teams to quickly snap up naming rights.

its a bit different though.

Thunder don't play at the same time of year - they only play in summer for 6 weeks
And didn't the giants actually pay for the stadium to be built as well.

anyway, i reckon if a team - and especially fans - can buy sponsorship, good luck to em.  gotta admit its pretty impressive.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Footballer - 28 Mar 2019 5:38 PM

its a bit different though.

Thunder don't play at the same time of year - they only play in summer for 6 weeks
And didn't the giants actually pay for the stadium to be built as well.

anyway, i reckon if a team - and especially fans - can buy sponsorship, good luck to em.  gotta admit its pretty impressive.

No the Giants are broke, maybe the AFL put a small amount of money in but it was mostly the NSW taxpayers.

The taxpayers also built them a training complex in Blacktown where the Giants put up a sign saying "AFL field only"

Beaten by Eldar

Edited
5 Years Ago by Eldar
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

pretty amazing taxpayers would put so much money up for a foreign game

jatz
jatz
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

I just dont see it as normal, expecting professional sports organisations to make decisions where, not upsetting other sports, is a major factor.  What would the reaction be if Wanderers saw on opportunity, but then passed it up, because GWS wouldn't like it?  The reaction would be, weak pricks, fuck GWS.  As it should.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

jatz - 28 Mar 2019 8:16 PM

I just dont see it as normal, expecting professional sports organisations to make decisions where, not upsetting other sports, is a major factor.  What would the reaction be if Wanderers saw on opportunity, but then passed it up, because GWS wouldn't like it?  The reaction would be, weak pricks, fuck GWS.  As it should.

Pretty sure this would just be an AFL thing, the other clubs would likely have some sort of gentlemans agreement in recognition of the fact they are sharing the facilities.

Beaten by Eldar

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

To be fair gws is doing alright there these days highest non derby crowd last week. Yes they might have been given free tickets but they are keeping up with the Wanderers and the rugby team 
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro

Eldar - 28 Mar 2019 9:15 PM
jatz - 28 Mar 2019 8:16 PM

Pretty sure this would just be an AFL thing, the other clubs would likely have some sort of gentlemans agreement in recognition of the fact they are sharing the facilities.

:laugh:

Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Western United owned by the same group as Birmingham City FC. Birmingham City FC found to broken the EFL rules and have been docked points.
Going to be interesting having these financial gurus along with the fraudulent South-West Sydney Franchise 

bettega
bettega
World Class

Paul01 - 29 Mar 2019 5:42 PM
Western United owned by the same group as Birmingham City FC. Birmingham City FC found to broken the EFL rules and have been docked points.
Going to be interesting having these financial gurus along with the fraudulent South-West Sydney Franchise 

No, I don't think Birmingham City is involved, either they were at the very start, but didn't go through with it and/or were replaced by other investors.

Champagne Football
Champagne Football
Super Fan
Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)

Need to get a team in Tasmania before the AFL.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/08/22/tasmania-to-be-afls-19th-team-in-2023-according-to-russell/

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Champagne Football - 22 Aug 2019 3:34 PM

they are really over doing it with 19 teams imo anyways 

can't we still have a team in tassie if we play in the summer? 
bettega
bettega
World Class

From yesterday's Mercury, it's a bit of a worry:

Macquarie Point multipurpose stadium would be ideal for Tasmanian AFL team, Parliamentary Committee hears

In response to questions from Huon MLC Robert Armstrong, Mr Wilkinson said a Macquarie Point venue would be perfect to host both AFL games and cricket matches — as well as other sports.

This will be a huge mistake if they proceed, the Tasmanian people will waste a fortune building something a tiny bit bigger than Bellrive

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

bettega - 23 Aug 2019 8:07 AM

From yesterday's Mercury, it's a bit of a worry:

Macquarie Point multipurpose stadium would be ideal for Tasmanian AFL team, Parliamentary Committee hears

In response to questions from Huon MLC Robert Armstrong, Mr Wilkinson said a Macquarie Point venue would be perfect to host both AFL games and cricket matches — as well as other sports.

This will be a huge mistake if they proceed, the Tasmanian people will waste a fortune building something a tiny bit bigger than Bellrive

if they build a new AFL stadium for a Tassie team, there is no way they will also spend money on a Football stadium. FWIW, i don't believe the rumour. I think North Melbourne will slowly, slowly relocate there over the course of 10-15 years. Hawthorn also brought Jeff Kennett back as president to fight to keep their games in Launceston. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Feed_The_Brox
bettega
bettega
World Class

Feed_The_Brox - 23 Aug 2019 10:05 AM
bettega - 23 Aug 2019 8:07 AM

if they build a new AFL stadium for a Tassie team, there is no way they will also spend money on a Football stadium. FWIW, i don't believe the rumour. I think North Melbourne will slowly, slowly relocate there over the course of 10-15 years. Hawthorn also brought Jeff Kennett back as president to fight to keep their games in Launceston. 

I agree with you, and I hope you're right that it's a rumour which will come to naught.

Tassie already has two good oval stadiums, they now need a rectangular stadium, 12k capacity would be near perfect and would cost less than half what a new large oval stadium will cost..

Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

bettega - 23 Aug 2019 10:23 AM

I agree with you, and I hope you're right that it's a rumour which will come to naught.

Tassie already has two good oval stadiums, they now need a rectangular stadium, 12k capacity would be near perfect and would cost less than half what a new large oval stadium will cost..

I agree on not needing another oval built. In my opinion one would not fit at Mac Point so the suggestion really is a complete waste of time.

If there is a 2nd Division or A League club established then a decent rectangle would be handy. Whether that is a new stadium, upgraded stadium or permanent upgrade and conversion of a current oval would not worry me.

I would love to see more grassroots fields - including all weather artificial surfaces - as I can see that is where the sport is lagging behind the massive surge in juniors and youth  numbers.
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Feels like any bid would have to be accompanied with NRL fixtures. 1 or 2 games per year if they could pull it off. Union may be too much to stomach down there.

Something like a 10 year deal with a club or the league.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

scott20won - 24 Aug 2019 12:54 AM

Feels like any bid would have to be accompanied with NRL fixtures. 1 or 2 games per year if they could pull it off. Union may be too much to stomach down there.

Something like a 10 year deal with a club or the league.

The crowd at the Rugby World Cup game between Romania and Namibia at York Park in 2003 was 15,457.
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Gyfox - 24 Aug 2019 4:28 AM
scott20won - 24 Aug 2019 12:54 AM

The crowd at the Rugby World Cup game between Romania and Namibia at York Park in 2003 was 15,457.

I can imagine a WC is the easiest ticket to sell...
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

“Last Friday, Tasmania’s three major newspapers joined forces in an unprecedented show of regional unity. Each paper devoted its front page to the push for the state to be represented in the AFL.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/expansion-into-the-heartland-what-an-afl-team-would-mean-for-tasmania-20190831-p52mno.html

did the soccer bid get close to this coverage?
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

scott20won - 31 Aug 2019 9:29 PM
“Last Friday, Tasmania’s three major newspapers joined forces in an unprecedented show of regional unity. Each paper devoted its front page to the push for the state to be represented in the AFL.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/expansion-into-the-heartland-what-an-afl-team-would-mean-for-tasmania-20190831-p52mno.html

did the soccer bid get close to this coverage?

No.
karta
karta
Amateur
Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)

A team called the Tasmanian Suns would be up there with the LA Lakers or Utah Jazz.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Channel 9 making a push for a second Brisbane team - if we’re lucky they’ll relocate the Titans which will create space for Knights/United 
Champagne Football
Champagne Football
Super Fan
Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)Super Fan (170 reputation)

Waz - 1 Sep 2019 11:26 AM
Channel 9 making a push for a second Brisbane team - if we’re lucky they’ll relocate the Titans which will create space for Knights/United 

I have read that several times, but cannot follow what you are on about.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search