Travel Thread

Travel Thread

Author
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Lads im headed to Japan later this year just wondering have any of you guys been and if you have. can give me some basic do's or don't whilst in japan would be much appreciated
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
thejollyvic wrote:
Lads im headed to Japan later this year just wondering have any of you guys been and if you have. can give me some basic do's or don't whilst in japan would be much appreciated

Nice - where abouts are you going?

I was there for a month last year :)
notorganic
notorganic
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

I think Voice of Reason lives there, he might be able to show you the ropes.
thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Bowden wrote:
thejollyvic wrote:

Nice - where abouts are you going?

I was there for a month last year :)

Nice where did you go ? We are going to be there for 3 weeks then are heading to hong Kong on the way back. We are starting off in osaka stay there for a few days then kyoto and last tokyo. Although we are also going to go to Kobe I think... to watch vissel Kobe play yokahama f.m.

we are trying to fit in hiroshima/nagasaki but it just depends on time for the moment. My mates and I aren't really the tourists who see landmarks etc we just like to have a good time eat some of the local food and go out etc
thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro

ive been trying to figure it out but if i bring back a carton of smokes from japan anyone know what the duty on it will be ?
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Traveling to uk and Europe in june just for a few weeks. Have been looking at how to take money (travel card, c/c etc) anyone know of any good travelcards or anything. Best I've found is cash passport and I've got a commbank and a bendigo c/c but they are both pretty crap overseas. Any tips of anything would be greatly appreciated.
biscuitman1871
biscuitman1871
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

scubaroo wrote:
Traveling to uk and Europe in june just for a few weeks. Have been looking at how to take money (travel card, c/c etc) anyone know of any good travelcards or anything. Best I've found is cash passport and I've got a commbank and a bendigo c/c but they are both pretty crap overseas. Any tips of anything would be greatly appreciated.

Cash passport and travel SIM from Australia Post are both pretty good deals.

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

At arguably the most inconveniant time of my life, I'm getting travel itches to the point of pain :lol:

I've been to the checkout screen of European flights multiple times, but haven't followed through with it :lol:
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

scubaroo wrote:

I spend half my year in Europe so i've had a far amount of experience with them.

ANZ's Travel Money cards are pretty easy to set up and work well. Buy all your Euros/Pounds in Australia whenever it suits you and then once you're over there, it's fairly simple to track your balance and top up online. Eftpos is free, you just gotta be careful at ATM's as they can sting you for withdrawals so make sure you get at least 100 euros out at a time to make it worth it. They are also very good with security against card fraud and take the matter very seriously, happens more often than you'd think.

Viennese Vuck

Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Everest Base Camp Avalanche...

[youtube]0CaT0VIJ468[/youtube]

YerNathanael
YerNathanael
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Putting the finishing touches on my Japan holiday in August. I'll be hitting up Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Osaka over 17 days. Probably have 1 day in Tokyo and one day in Osaka that I don't have anything planned. Anybody got any suggestions as to what they loved when they were there?
killua
killua
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

thejollyvic wrote:
ive been trying to figure it out but if i bring back a carton of smokes from japan anyone know what the duty on it will be ?

More than it's worth. You can bring 2 unopened and 1 opened pack legally back in without duty. That's better than going over the limit.

Of course if you accidentally carry another pack or two on your body no big deal.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

melbourne_terrace wrote:
scubaroo wrote:

I spend half my year in Europe so i've had a far amount of experience with them.

ANZ's Travel Money cards are pretty easy to set up and work well. Buy all your Euros/Pounds in Australia whenever it suits you and then once you're over there, it's fairly simple to track your balance and top up online. Eftpos is free, you just gotta be careful at ATM's as they can sting you for withdrawals so make sure you get at least 100 euros out at a time to make it worth it. They are also very good with security against card fraud and take the matter very seriously, happens more often than you'd think.

Pretty much this. My Westpac debit mastercard is quite handy. The partnership with Barclays in the UK and Deustche Bank among others offers free withdrawals and generous conversion rates. Personally, I'd stay away from firms like Travelex. It appears their rates are poor.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
At arguably the most inconveniant time of my life, I'm getting travel itches to the point of pain :lol:

I've been to the checkout screen of European flights multiple times, but haven't followed through with it :lol:

Had been doing the same for flights home to OZ in June. Happy to say I did it and will be home in 3 weeks for a visit. It is a holiday and going home in one. I need a break from the Euro football season. It's been a long one. I'm sure the Euro summer will have a poor start so I won't miss much.

Mates and I are getting more and more decisive about a trip to NYC later this year too. Ideas are developing well and we're all keen. Just a simple ocean hop from Germany really.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

melbourne_terrace wrote:
scubaroo wrote:

You'll probably find this an impertinent question, so I am sorry. But how do you manage to spend half your year in Europe? Career-wise? That's more or less living the dream. Congrats.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

scubaroo wrote:

I use a Qantas Cash card. I'm not sure how good the exchange rates are. You can load it up with different currencies (US dollars, British pounds, Euros, Thai baht, Japanese Yen). The downside is you can't load up Swedish krona or Norwegian krone.

I'm not sure how it compares to the other cash cards people have mentioned. They might be better. The best thing about the QF thing is it serves the purpose of being a cash card and a frequent flyer card in one.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

quickflick wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:
scubaroo wrote:

You'll probably find this an impertinent question, so I am sorry. But how do you manage to spend half your year in Europe? Career-wise? That's more or less living the dream. Congrats.

u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

TheSelectFew wrote:
quickflick wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:
scubaroo wrote:

He must be a hooker.
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

johnszasz wrote:
pv4 wrote:

Had been doing the same for flights home to OZ in June. Happy to say I did it and will be home in 3 weeks for a visit. It is a holiday and going home in one. I need a break from the Euro football season. It's been a long one. I'm sure the Euro summer will have a poor start so I won't miss much.

Mates and I are getting more and more decisive about a trip to NYC later this year too. Ideas are developing well and we're all keen. Just a simple ocean hop from Germany really.

Where is home for you in Australia?
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

So will be in europe when there no club football and international matches don't align with any of the cities I'm in, however we have in madrid on the 14th June and just notice real madrids legend game the carazon classic is on versus liverpool. (Watched this game in the past on espn) Has anyone one bought tickets in Spain/ europe is it the same process of printing them out as it is here. Has anyone been to the benabeu? You can pick any seat but the seats that are available if really strange, like one side is almost sold out but then seats in equally good positions on the other side are available. Just hoping I'm not missing anything.
Very naive traveller first time abroad... we are staying in ventas, i think. .. was thinking of walking to the Bernabeu as wed have to train to the city then back out. Unless taxis are cheap. If anyone had any tips would be very much appreciated!
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

scubaroo wrote:
So will be in europe when there no club football and international matches don't align with any of the cities I'm in, however we have in madrid on the 14th June and just notice real madrids legend game the carazon classic is on versus liverpool. (Watched this game in the past on espn) Has anyone one bought tickets in Spain/ europe is it the same process of printing them out as it is here. Has anyone been to the benabeu? You can pick any seat but the seats that are available if really strange, like one side is almost sold out but then seats in equally good positions on the other side are available. Just hoping I'm not missing anything.
Very naive traveller first time abroad... we are staying in ventas, i think. .. was thinking of walking to the Bernabeu as wed have to train to the city then back out. Unless taxis are cheap. If anyone had any tips would be very much appreciated!

The Swedish Allsvenskan is played over European summer. If you are going to Copenhagen in Denmark you can easily get to Malmö 34 mins or Helsingborg 1hr10 mins by train. Malmö Would be a better match to attend for a tourist.

Edited by scott21: 24/5/2015 04:43:16 PM
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

scott21 wrote:
scubaroo wrote:

The Swedish Allsvenskan is played over European summer. If you are going to Copenhagen in Denmark you can easily get to Malmö 34 mins or Helsingborg 1hr10 mins by train. Malmö Would be a better match to attend for a tourist.

Edited by scott21: 24/5/2015 04:43:16 PM

I wish i could get up there and see some competitive football but we've got massive time constraints and i have to be back home for surgery at the start of July.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

pv4 wrote:
johnszasz wrote:
pv4 wrote:

NSW Central Coast.
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

Hey guys wondering if anyone could help me. I'm trying to buy tickets to the real madrid v Liverpool legends game at the Bernabeu in June. The purchasing process is pretty straight forward. Its via the real madrid website and entradas (?). I've used 2 travel cards, 2 credit, 2 debit and paypal and always get to the end and its says there is an error.
I was wondering if there is an issue with some sites purchasing outside of Spain or something. I've purchased tickets for things everywhere else in Spain and had no issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
pv4
pv4
Legend

johnszasz wrote:
pv4 wrote:
johnszasz wrote:
pv4 wrote:

NSW Central Coast.

Nice! If you're keen for a catch up when you're over, give me a buzz! Bet we can get a few forum regulars keen.
thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro

Osaka is amazing highly recommend everyone visiting this awesome place going to watch gamba Osaka tomorrow I'll try get some photos and post them on here
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Thinking of going to the States next year. Need to get some ideas pumping for stuff to do/see :)
roarys mane
roarys mane
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Ive been basically everywhere now outside of Asia (never been overly interested) and all over Aus.

Have seen different sports all over and usually try and catch a football game if its in season and im in a city/area for an extended period. Favourite game ive seen internationally was San Lorenzo beating Boca Jrs 3-1 at San Lorenzo. Stadium was so decrepit, remember thinking the whole stabd was going to fall down as it literally swayed from the support. Highly recommend gettng the the NBA and tailgating at an NFL/College game to those above talking about going to the States. Try and get to Austin, TX and New Orleans just for Bourbon St if you want to have some serious fun.

Id currently rank places to visit as...
Aus
South America
Europe
North America
Southern Africa
Central America

I want to go back and spend some more time in the States as well as get to Northern Africa before growing up and hitting 30. I feel like Asia is something I can do when Im an old fart with kids for cheap family holidays.
The Maco
The Maco
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

roary's mane wrote:

Id currently rank places to visit as...
Aus
South America
Europe
North America
Southern Africa
Central America

When you say straya on top, is that going to the capitals, doing touristy stuff (Uluru/great barrier reef/Daintree/great ocean Rd) or doing stuff only we know about cause we're locals?
99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Anyone here been to Hawaii? Might be heading over in October.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search