NPLV

NPLV

Author
dingyv03
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
[youtube]zMBjr7epM8Q[/youtube]
imonfourfourtwo
imonfourfourtwo
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Latest photos of Morshead Park before the opening match this Saturday, far from completed but starting to shape up nicely!

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
South Melbourne 2-1 Ballarat Red Devils

Last night Oakleigh absolutely smashed Dandenong Thunder 6-0.

Bentleigh lost 3-2 at Green Gully today - so the top top beginning to open a gap.

South Melbourne Pld 7 W 7 D0 L0 21pts
Oakleigh Cannons Pld 7 W5 D2 L0 17 pts
Bentleigh Greens Pld 7 W4 D1 D2 13 pts

South next week vs Bentleigh - big match.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

South Melbourne wrote:
FT (90+5') - South grind out another win and break a Club record for most consecutive wins to start a League season!

Sounds like it was a good game, sorry I couldn't make it down for it.

Can't wait for the stands to be built on both sides at Morsehead.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

South are killing it, it'd be cool to see them in the national championships if they keep it up. Did you have a look at the facilities by any chance imonfft?

Viennese Vuck

dingyv03
dingyv03
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

HIGHLIGHTS: Hume City v. Melbourne Knights - 4/5/14

[youtube]QQ9Ad1Zp1_Q[/youtube]
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

melbourne_terrace wrote:
South are killing it, it'd be cool to see them in the national championships if they keep it up. Did you have a look at the facilities by any chance imonfft?

Funny thing is we've been pretty scrappy so far - only played 2-3 good halves to date - but we're very hard to beat, and we're always going to score goals.
dingyv03
dingyv03
Semi-Pro

[youtube]0KzjpC-ThZ4[/youtube]
dingyv03
dingyv03
Semi-Pro

[youtube]3rLznHh5phs[/youtube]
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Werribee City are a dark horse. 0-3 away victors at Dandenong.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

Position: 1
Played: 9
Won: 9
Drawn: 0
Lost: 0
Goals for: 22
Goals against: 7

6 point lead over 2nd place.

I don't expect us to be 100% all season - but I'm going to enjoy it whilst it lasts.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Benjamin wrote:

I don't expect us to be 100% all season - but I'm going to enjoy it whilst it lasts.

An exceptional run, and the right year to do it, too.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

paladisious wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

An exceptional run, and the right year to do it, too.

Indeed, first past the post makes a big difference - especially as I can think of a couple of players who may be chased by A-League sides in the second half of the season - we need a lead in case we lose them.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

This is why we need a second division.South Melbourne recruited perfectly. Picking up a New Zealand youth international, young ex A-League player, a Welsh Semi pro international and plenty of young stars on the books. I reckon they are gonna be giant killers. A second division is a must.

CL
CL
Fan
Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)

and bless the FFV for not publishing the cap totals for squads this season
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

CL wrote:
and bless the FFV for not publishing the cap totals for squads this season

They are enforcing the visa quota, and that's the only element of the cap that ever should have mattered.

Meanwhile, South are top of the table with one of the youngest squads in the NPL-V.

Oakleigh lost last night, meaning South are now 6 points clear with a game in hand.

EDIT: South won. 9 points clear after 10 games.

Milos Lujic with 10 goals from 10 games; Jason Saldaris with 6 clean-sheets from 10.

Have just strengthened the squad by signing Adelaide Utd youth team MVP for last season.

Edited by Benjamin: 26/5/2014 04:22:47 PM
tbitm
tbitm
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

1-0 to south to make it 10 from 10 and 9 points clear at the top. You definitely don't want your a-league side in preseason to be playing south in this kind of form.

I've watched a few YouTube highlights and do look quite dominate, but that could just be because it is souths channel. But Ben, I think you said at the start that South weren't really playing that well. Has this changed? Two consecutive 1-0 scores usually mean scrappy affairs but I could be wrong.

And is there a bigger buzz around the club now with the current form and potential FFA cup matches? Looked like about 1000 people at the pascoevale game, is this higher than previous years?

And here's a table update

South Melbourne FC -30
Oakleigh Cannons FC -21
Heidelberg United SC -21
Dandenong Thunder SC -17
Bentleigh Greens SC -14
Northcote City FC -13
Hume City FC -13
Werribee City FC -13
Port Melbourne Sharks FC -12
Green Gully SC -12
Ballarat Red Devils SC -10
Melbourne Knights FC -9
Pascoe Vale SC -9
Goulburn Valley Suns FC -4

All on 10 games but Bentleigh and Ballarat.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Looking at the NPLV1 table, St Albans Saints are in third with 18 points from seven wins and two draws. Is the table software stuffed or did they get deductions?
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

FFV wrote:
Trying to solve the CT conundrum
Go inside the mind of Chris Taylor, the man who has led South Melbourne to its tenth-straight NPL win.

By Craig MacKenzie

(Image credit: Cindy Nitsos)

Chris Taylor is a complex character. So is his former coach John Gardiner.

Their paths crossed at Sunshine George Cross in the 1980s and the indelible mark left on Taylor by the football genius of Gardiner is there to see.

It’s as if Taylor has taken on the coaching persona of his one-time mentor, in fact there is an eerie similarity in some of their mannerisms.

Taylor’s deadpan gameday expression in the dugout or standing in the technical area chin resting in the palm of one hand as he ponders his next move are Gardinerisms.

So is his usual greeting, eyes peering up from a slightly bowed head, a seeming shyness that camouflages the warrior within.

If Taylor wasn’t such a successful football coach he could be a world-class poker player.

Mere mortals such as us who look upon Taylor from afar have little chance of getting to know him well.

His players are much closer but they have no chance of unravelling his mystique because he won’t let them.

“I think when you are coaching you are trying to get the best out of individuals and one of the philosophies I’m really big on is that I need to know more about my players than they’ll ever know about me, “ Taylor said.

“Sometimes coaching involves a bit of front. Coaching often is about managing situations and sometimes by looking like you’re upset you can get a positive response. But that’s just part of my style of managing people.”

It’s a style that gained impetus at Thomastown over two decades ago (as assistant to Ken Murphy), then developed at Sunbury, Altona Magic, Melbourne Raiders, Green Gully, Altona East Phoenix, Sunshine George Cross, Melbourne Knights and Dandenong Thunder.

His journey also includes being Victorian state coach and winning dual VPL Coach of the Year honours as well as coaching Victorian state junior sides and a gig as head zone coach with the Southern Blue Tongues in the Victorian Champions League.

It’s been a journey with a purpose and that purpose becomes all too clear when he talks about his current destination.

“I’ve done the hard yards and I’ve worked very, very hard to get here. It’s been a long process but it’s nice to look back on all that work and say to yourself that it’s really paid off because now you are at South Melbourne, the most famous football club in Australia.

“For me South Melbourne is still the biggest and the best club going around.

“You can say that Victory has been a fantastic invention and certainly they are the flagship of the A-League but there are other clubs there that pale into insignificance when compared to South Melbourne.”

Taylor is one of the highest credentialled coaches in Victoria and is about to complete his AFC A Licence.

He has a liberal dose of football pragmatism and he is forthright.

His views can ruffle feathers and are significant points of difference between him and some of his counterparts.

“I learned a lot from John Gardiner and what he taught me is still relevant today despite the different buzzwords in use now.

“We all want to play like Barcelona or Real Madrid then reality kicks in and if you haven’t got the cattle you have to adjust your philosophy to achieve your outcomes.

“Sometimes outcomes may be the way you play football, other times it might be results.

“I find that a lot of coaches I speak to get lost in philosophies.”

Not Taylor though and this is where his competitive nature takes over.

“If you ask me whether I’m outcomes or results driven I’d love to say outcomes but results mean a lot to me. I want to win every game we play.

"I know that’s not what everyone wants to hear but I see a lot of coaches going around and painting a pretty picture of how many passes their team has and that they play a lot of possession brands which tends to gloss over the result.

“People don’t get passionate when they get beat but they get passionate when they win and at the end of the day the game is about results.

“We say that kids just play for the enjoyment but I wouldn’t like to be a kid growing up and getting beaten every week. For me results are paramount.”

Once the dust settled earlier this year from the off-season stoush between clubs and FFV over the structure of the NPL, Taylor got down to business assembling a squad that could face the challenge of competing in four major competitions – NPL Victoria, NPL (national) Championship, Dockerty Cup and FFA Cup.

And it didn’t take him long to make heads turn by selecting 15-year-old former junior Andy Kecojevic in his first-team squad.

“I feel I’ve got a duty in terms of what we are trying to achieve at the club and while it would be nice to go out and get the best players available we’re aiming at building a culture within the club that takes the club to another level.

“Part of that is to either promote from within or get young players from other clubs that fall into line with what the NPL is all about.

“Younger players are great to work with anyway. They are enthusiastic and respond well.

“Okay, not every one of them is going to be a success but I certainly believe that we will create talented players as we have been doing over the years.

“Sometimes a young player just needs that opportunity and encouragement they might not always get offered at other clubs.”

When Taylor casts his net it can drift far and wide as evidenced by last week’s capture of 19-year-old midfielder Dion Kirk from Adelaide United.

Kirk was Adelaide’s Most Valuable Player in last season’s National Youth League and his signing is yet another statement of intent from Taylor.

“We think Dion (Kirk) has a lot of potential and he’s a prime example of what we are trying to do,” Taylor said.

“We are trying to enhance what the NPL wants to do and this is to give young kids an opportunity.

“We want to keep improving and although we’re doing okay at the moment we might need to freshen things up when the transfer window opens. We’ll see.

“But it’s not a case of going out and changing for the sake of change.”

On and off the field life’s good for the man his mates call ‘CT’.

Sunday’s 1-0 win away from home against Werribee was the club’s tenth in a row, the greatest start to a season in a history that dates back to 1959.

And Taylor’s personal life is stable and fulfilling. He has married for the second time and he and partner Michelle have a four-year-old son, Ryder.

“Obviously I’m very fortunate at my age to have a four-year-old son and Michelle and Ryder are my main priorities so everything else runs a very distant second after that.”

Distant it may be but coaching in a sport he is passionate about means a lot to him.

(Image credit: Cindy Nitsos)

“I get nervous all the time before games.

“As a coach you can’t directly affect the result of a game other than by making certain changes which means that you are relying on other people to achieve what you want to achieve.

“I love being involved at this level. I really do like local football and that’s where my focus has been for some time.”

But now and again Taylor allows himself time to dream, to imagine what his football future may hold and it’s a positive future that emerges.

“Without doubt I’d love to be a full-time coach but that would be the ultimate goal for a lot of people in football and it’s often not possible here because of limited opportunity.

“To be coaching South Melbourne in the A-League is my dream and I like to think that that is possible.

“I like to think that it’s more logical than some of the other ideas that are being floated around at the moment.

“If South Melbourne was in the A-League I don’t think that our crowds would be any less than some of the clubs in the competition right now.

“South Melbourne as a whole would probably need to market itself a bit differently but the infrastructure and the people are there and I don’t think that it’s a far-fetched idea.

“I think it would only enhance the A-League.”

Whether or not that dream proves to be pie-in-the-sky remains to be seen and currently the greatest source of satisfaction for Taylor in football terms comes from helping to make players better.

“It’s a great feeling, it really is. I guess a prime example is to see a player like Ivan Franjic get selected to go to a World Cup.

“If you believe that you’ve played a small part in his development then it’s a fantastic feeling and as a coach it makes everything worthwhile.”

It’s even better than winning awards which has become almost commonplace for Taylor.

“I’m not so sure that these awards mean a great deal because they are individual awards and being a coach isn’t about being an individual.

“For me the greatest thing a coach can do is to take a club and change the situation they are in and build a better future for them.

“I like to think that I’ve done that in most cases.

“When I’ve been to a club I think I’ve taken them to a better place in terms of developing players and probably improving the club overall.”

Taylor can hold his head high if that turns out to be his legacy at the most famous football club in Australia.

tbitm
tbitm
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

paladisious wrote:
Looking at the NPLV1 table, St Albans Saints are in third with 18 points from seven wins and two draws. Is the table software stuffed or did they get deductions?

"We were initially served the ‘Breach Notice’ on the 15th of April regarding our club failing to field an NPL Under 13’s team for a match scheduled on the 13th of April against Hume City."

http://stalbanssaints.com/ffv-deduct-points-from-saints/

Seems a bit extreme to deduct points from the senior team for not fielding U13's
tbitm
tbitm
Pro

Also mods can we Make this a sticky instead of the vpl one. Likewise with the FFA cup qualifying thread.
dingyv03
dingyv03
Semi-Pro

[youtube]nun5ymJ0EFk[/youtube]
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

tbitm wrote:
paladisious wrote:

"We were initially served the ‘Breach Notice’ on the 15th of April regarding our club failing to field an NPL Under 13’s team for a match scheduled on the 13th of April against Hume City."

http://stalbanssaints.com/ffv-deduct-points-from-saints/

Seems a bit extreme to deduct points from the senior team for not fielding U13's

Shit decision. Thought it was being appealed.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

tbitm wrote:
Ben, I think you said at the start that South weren't really playing that well. Has this changed? Two consecutive 1-0 scores usually mean scrappy affairs but I could be wrong.

And is there a bigger buzz around the club now with the current form and potential FFA cup matches? Looked like about 1000 people at the pascoevale game, is this higher than previous years?

Because of the start we've had I think every club we play at the moment is seeing it as their chance to make some waves by breaking up the run. They are mainly filling up at the back and trying to stop us playing. It's not been the prettiest - as CT says in the interview, the win is more important than the result and the resilience of the team at the moment is terrific. Not making silly mistakes at the back (conceded a late consolation goal a couple of weeks ago and CT hammered the players in training).

I don't think the buzz is any bigger due to the FFA Cup or the NPL rather the VPL, the buzz with South is purely down to having a team that is delivering the results that we've failed to get for too long.

Also worth noting when looking at that league table - played 10, only 3 of them at home... We've got a run of 6 consecutive home games coming up soon.

Edited by Benjamin: 27/5/2014 05:44:03 PM
tbitm
tbitm
Pro

Benjamin wrote:
tbitm wrote:
Ben, I think you said at the start that South weren't really playing that well. Has this changed? Two consecutive 1-0 scores usually mean scrappy affairs but I could be wrong.

Because of the start we've had I think every club we play at the moment is seeing it as their chance to make some waves by breaking up the run. They are mainly filling up at the back and trying to stop us playing. It's not been the prettiest - as CT says in the interview, the win is more important than the result and the resilience of the team at the moment is terrific. Not making silly mistakes at the back (conceded a late consolation goal a couple of weeks ago and CT hammered the players in training).

I don't think the buzz is any bigger due to the FFA Cup or the NPL rather the VPL, the buzz with South is purely down to having a team that is delivering the results that we've failed to get for too long.

Also worth noting when looking at that league table - played 10, only 3 of them at home... We've got a run of 6 consecutive home games coming up soon.

Edited by Benjamin: 27/5/2014 05:44:03 PM
fair enough, I remember a similar thing when Liverpool were on a run and the mentality of the other team going into the game being 'let's be the one to break their streak' often played perfectly into our hands. Sometimes the game can be won before it even really gets going if the other team isn't mentally ready for the challenge.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Murray United FC entering NPL1 next season. Interesting.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

TheSelectFew wrote:

I wonder if they're replacing someone, or they're adding two teams to NPL1, or what?
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

The Border Mail wrote:
UNITED FRONT: Border launches Premier League club
May 28, 2014, midnight

FORMER Wodonga mayor Mark Byatt will lead the Border’s National Premier League soccer club in its formative years.

The new club has been officially branded Murray United FC and will enter the competition, seen as the second tier to the national A-League, next year after signing off on a licensing agreement with Football Federation Victoria.

A 12-person board is already in place and coaching positions have been advertised from today while others were looking to the corporate community to back professional teams in the men’s and women’s competition.

“The aim of the new club is not to get out and make rash signings, it is likely there will be marquee players considered for the player list,” Byatt said.

“What will sustain the club will be a very clear focus on talented locals and providing them with a chance at the elite level.

“Those that know about the game tell me that if you were to take the best 15 players from the men’s and women’s state of origin games played on Good Friday, you would have a side more than capable of matching it with any NPL club.”

La Trobe University will be the homeground for Murray United FC for the next fi ve to 10 years.

A range of elite junior teams will underpin the fl agship senior sides.

“An opportunity to participate in the elite NPL competition is one of the most exciting things to occur in our sporting history for many, many years; and there have been some outstanding sporting triumphs overthe years across the region” Byatt said.

“NPL football (soccer) is going to provide an opportunity for our high-achieving sports men and women to compete at what is effectively the national second tier of football in this country .

“This is a football platform that hasn’t been available in the past, and Murray United FC through the NPL is determined to be a part of that.

“My job is to lead the board in establishing the club during these foundation years, setting the club up to play at an elite level for many years to come — it needs to be done right, it needs to be done professionally and we need to understand that we only get one go at doing this.”

Cr Byatt said the new club would offer a pathway to the elite competition.

“We already have some fantastic community clubs under the auspices of Albury Wodonga Football Association and they will be an integral part of the step up to playing NPL,” he said.

AWFA president Craig McDonald said the new venture added further credibility to the rise of soccer in the region.

“This offers footballers another pathway into the elite level of our sport,” he said.

THE team behind the Border’s National Premier League’s venture yesterday said getting the name right had been a key consideration.

The first submission to Football Federation Victoria used the name Border FC but the team will be known as Murray United FC when it enters the competition next year.

Chairman of the club, formed by a group of Border enthusiasts, Mark Byatt said the idea was to connect to the Border’s footballing and non-footballing public.

“The name is something the directors have thought about a lot after looking for community input,” he said.

“Murray picks up on all things synonymous with the region — we want both sides of the Border united in this venture.

“Football Federation Victoria has made it clear this licence covers northern Victoria and the southern Riverina — we are a regional team.”

Byatt said the board was already working hard on promotional, football, facilities and sponsorship fronts.

“It’s great to lead an active and passionate board,” he said.

“Each director has a portfolio to focus on and we are working on each of these areas.

“There is a major emphasis on branding, marketing, media and PR — including club logo, colours, and both home and away strips.

“The football operations department is looking at expressions of interest for the technical director and coaching positions.

“La Trobe University will be the club’s immediate home ground.

“We will be doing infrastructure upgrades as we lead into the NPL season next year.

“The focus will be on lighting, seating and minor works to players’ facilities and security.

“In terms of sponsorship, we believe this offers unprecedented national exposure — every other week Murray United FC will be play in Melbourne.

“From that point of view, I don’t think there is another team or sport in our region that can offer that exposure.”

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

paladisious wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:

I wonder if they're replacing someone, or they're adding two teams to NPL1, or what?

Unsure. It would be interesting to find out. The latter would be best.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search