Attacking Football at the World Cup

Attacking Football at the World Cup

Author
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
There has been a recent rise in attacking football at the World Cup, which as a fan its been great to watch. =d>

What has led to this trend? A more pro-active approach or just poor defending? Or is everyone know trying to play like a Chile or a Germany?

I would say that teams are now playing more pro-actively, pressing higher up and equally teams and counter attacking very well, it also seems teams when they are behind in games tend to take more risks too.
BillBilston
BillBilston
Super Fan
Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Barca4Life wrote:
There has been a recent rise in attacking football at the World Cup, which as a fan its been great to watch. =d>

What has led to this trend? A more pro-active approach or just poor defending? Or is everyone know trying to play like a Chile or a Germany?

I would say that teams are now playing more pro-actively, pressing higher up and equally teams and counter attacking very well, it also seems teams when they are behind in games tend to take more risks too.

yep...yep....yep...bang on the money son.

shes been a good ol' comp to watch aint it?:)

the more goals we see the better..... the sockah cattle on show 'ave been bangin' 'em in......hate defensive football crap.
thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

i think football has advanced as the years hae gone by with barcas/spains tiki taka ... left and right backs being expected to join into attacks more vigorously... wouldn't put it down to bad defending although people can make mistakes but the aim of the game is to score more goals obviously...

Teams look more well rounded and can compete as a unit rather than just having a solid defence and hoping for the best upfront
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
thejollyvic wrote:
i think football has advanced as the years hae gone by with barcas/spains tiki taka ... left and right backs being expected to join into attacks more vigorously... wouldn't put it down to bad defending although people can make mistakes but the aim of the game is to score more goals obviously...

Teams look more well rounded and can compete as a unit rather than just having a solid defence and hoping for the best upfront

Considering Barca play attacking football, they don't score many goals.

I think it would be better if they had a big, target player like Diego Costa. He could still be successful for Spain against us.
thejollyvic
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Decentric wrote:
thejollyvic wrote:

Considering Barca play attacking football, they don't score many goals.

I think it would be better if they had a big, target player like Diego Costa. He could still be successful for Spain against us.

i think they dont score many goals because they have become so reliant on messi that they just dont know what to do without him or if he is having a poor game...

agreed with diego costa but again i cant see the spanish playing with a striker just doesn't see to suit them.. they were lethal with the false 9 but who knows...

a great example is bayern munich..( yes the bundesliga is becoming farcical ) great midfield & defence but mandzukic up front just puts the icing on the cake a very well rounded team which i believe more and more national sides are concentrating on rather than just playing to there strengths they are trying to make the whole team a force as when a team has only one certain strength they are bound to have many more weaknesses
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

More attacking mindsets, mediocre defences from the bigger teams and a more positive environment than in South Africa all have a part to play.
macbryla
macbryla
Weekender
Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)

See the numbers behind the attacking football in Brazil

2014 FIFA World Cup – Attacking football on show in Brazil
http://eyeseedata.com/attacking-football-at-world-cup-in-brazil/

@macbryla
macbryla
macbryla
Weekender
Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)Weekender (40 reputation)

Could it be the ball?

2014 FIFA World Cup – Jabulani vs Brazuca shootout
http://eyeseedata.com/jabulani-vs-brazuca-shootout/

@macbryla
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
A lot of the football has been of a very high quality.

The difference between teams and confederations is narrowing.

The margins between defeat and victory have been very small.

Just to qualify for the WC is a significant achievement.

Edited by Decentric: 2/7/2014 09:49:17 AM
Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Its because everyone's defence is shite so they can't rely on it. The only way to win is to try and keep the ball at the other end of the pitch, lest your crappy leaky defence is tested.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

People should stop attacking Football at the World Cup.

All this code war stuff needs to stop :)

/end chip on shoulder.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Erebus wrote:
Its because everyone's defence is shite so they can't rely on it. The only way to win is to try and keep the ball at the other end of the pitch, lest your crappy leaky defence is tested.

Pretty much this. Even Italy's much vaunted defence was very mediocre. But warmer weather makes defending for long periods hard.
macbryla
macbryla
Weekender

I had some time to kill on a flight home to Sydney from Singapore so I put together a quick viz showing the following:

1. how vulnerable = shots on target against v goals against
2. how efficient = goals v shots on target

http://eyeseedata.com/2014-fifa-world-cup-team-efficiency-in-defence-and-attack/

@macbryla
jmars
jmars
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

macbryla wrote:
I had some time to kill on a flight home to Sydney from Singapore so I put together a quick viz showing the following:

1. how vulnerable = shots on target against v goals against
2. how efficient = goals v shots on target

http://eyeseedata.com/2014-fifa-world-cup-team-efficiency-in-defence-and-attack/

@macbryla

Nice one.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Dat Costa Rica bubble :lol:
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search