UEFA under performing this WC

UEFA under performing this WC

Author
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
It must be a record. Of the 13 UEFA sides at the World Cup, (who themselves make almost half of the World Cup field) over half of them have failed to make it out of the group stage!

Of those, only Netherlands, Belgium and France can say they made it through comfortably, while Greece and Switzerland (despite the latter being aided of a laughably lopsided draw thanks to the skewed ranking system) had to leave it late to get through after earlier pantsings.

The Germans I watched their Ghana match with were relieved to secure a late draw to say the least, and nobody could possibly say their three points were assured over the full 90 minutes against the US in their 1-0 win.

All the rest are headed home: Russia deservedly so after tonight's limp performance against against Algeria I just witnessed here in St. Petersburg, following their inability to recover from Akinfeev's fail against Korea. Croatia, to be fair, had a very tough group, but they were the only European team, so in some people's minds they surely should have been favourites, right?

Bosnia also failed to qualify in a group with only non-European competition, and Portugal, who only just got a late draw against the US, are going home while the latter nation derided as "thinking soccer is just the thing you pick your daughter up from" is still in Brazil.

As for England, Spain and Italy: :lol:

With the growing economies and middle classes in the populous developing world, and the professionalism of football along with it, could 2014 be the year they look back on as the beginning of a new era?

Edited by paladisious: 27/6/2014 08:31:22 AM
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
11/10 thread.

Way better than Davstar's shit.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

SydneyCroatia
SydneyCroatia
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Yep, as was mentioned a few times in the AFC thread - very poor performance by the UEFA sides. They've done nothing to kill off the idea that they cant perform in South America.

A few would surely have to question the wisdom of basing themselves in the cold south while playing most of their games in the heat and humidity of the north.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Feel sorry for Bosnia. Genuinely dudded for their disallowed, actually onside, goal.

Would have liked to see them progress.

Member since 2008.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
paladisious wrote:
It must be a record. Of the 13 UEFA sides at the World Cup, (who themselves make almost half of the World Cup field) over half of them have failed to make it out of the group stage!

Of those, only Netherlands, Belgium and France can say they made it through comfortably, while Greece and Switzerland (despite the latter being aided of a laughably lopsided draw thanks to the skewed ranking system) had to leave it late to get through after earlier pantsings.

The Germans I watched their Ghana match with were relieved to secure a late draw to say the least, and nobody could possibly say their three points were assured over the full 90 minutes against the US in their 1-0 win.

All the rest are headed home: Russia deservedly so after tonight's limp performance against against Algeria I just witnessed here in St. Petersburg, following their inability to recover from Akinfeev's fail against Korea. Croatia, to be fair, had a very tough group, but they were the only European team, so in some people's minds they surely should have been favourites, right?

Bosnia also failed to qualify in a group with only non-European competition, and Portugal, who only just got a late draw against the US, are going home while the latter nation derided as "thinking soccer is just the thing you pick your daughter up from" is still in Brazil.

With the growing economies and middle classes in the populous developing world, and the professionalism of football along with it, could 2014 be the year they look back on as the beginning of a new era?

Good thread topic and good points made.=d>
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

It's only to be expected in a tournament played in South America that some European teams will falter.

I think the only real surprises are Spain and Italy not progressing.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

CAF too.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

localstar wrote:
It's only to be expected in a tournament played in South America that some European teams will falter.

Probably true, but England would be expected to beat Uruguay more times than lose to them.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

Burztur wrote:
CAF too.

Not quite sure how CAF under performed. It's their best tournament ever in terms of teams getting through the group stage, First time they've ever had 2 teams make it through.

Concacaf is much the same, first time they've ever had 3 teams qualify.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

Decentric wrote:
localstar wrote:

Probably true, but England would be expected to beat Uruguay more times than lose to them.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that, especially if the match is played in South America.

Imo England wouldn't be expected to beat any top 10 nation.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
Decentric wrote:
localstar wrote:

I wholeheartedly disagree with that, especially if the match is played in South America.

England have often been ranked in the top 10 , have they not?
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Decentric wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:
Decentric wrote:
localstar wrote:

England have often been ranked in the top 10 , have they not?

Yep and I honestly wouldn't expect them to beat another top 10 nation more times than they lost to them.
SydneyCroatia
SydneyCroatia
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
Decentric wrote:
localstar wrote:

Agreed. I had Italy and Uruguay tipped to go through. Didn't think England had much of a chance
SydneyCroatia
SydneyCroatia
Semi-Pro

Decentric wrote:
paladisious wrote:

Good thread topic and good points made.=d>

Any thoughts on the structured possession of SK not being able to breakdown an already qualified, down to 10 men Belgium?

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
Decentric wrote:
localstar wrote:

I would say top 20 nations.

Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

Russia might consider themselves a tad hard done by, especially vs Algeria since their keeper was blinded by a lazer moments before Algeria equalized.

Capello's fuming.

That aside, the Ruskies have been poor. Must be said. Was hoping for better from them. Why can't we have drawn them. :(

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Heineken wrote:
Russia might consider themselves a tad hard done by, especially vs Algeria since their keeper was blinded by a lazer moments before Algeria equalized.

Capello's fuming.

That aside, the Ruskies have been poor. Must be said. Was hoping for better from them. Why can't we have drawn them. :(

Him being shit it what cost them, not that laser. England probably would have struggled to beat Russia anyway.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Decentric wrote:
localstar wrote:

Really...?:lol:
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

SydneyCroatia wrote:

Any thoughts on the structured possession of SK not being able to breakdown an already qualified, down to 10 men Belgium?

I'm contemplating doing a thread on it.

I might start it, if I don't have enough info, I'll return to your question here.
localstar
localstar
Pro

England have now played Uruguay 11 times, and won only 3 of those matches.
Cappuccino
Cappuccino
Amateur
Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)

Interestingly, the European nations have done no worse this time round than they did four years ago in South Africa. Until 2010, they- without fail -had at least nine teams in the Round of 16, and most often ten. One could argue that the two most recent World Cups have seen poor European performances because they've both been played outside of Europe, but the continent's teams seemed to have no such problems in 1986 (Mexico), 1994 (USA) or 2002 (Japan/Korea). It will be really interesting to see how European teams perform in Russia in 2018- that World Cup will probably tell us whether the last couple of World Cups are outliers or if they reflect a long-term power shift away from Europe.

I've put together some charts regarding the number of teams from each continent reaching the Last 16 since it was introduced in 1986.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Good work.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

localstar wrote:
England have now played Uruguay 11 times, and won only 3 of those matches.

I'm gobsmacked.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

European teams always struggle in the americas.
7/13 qualifiers eliminated in Brazil 2014.
7/13 qualifiers eliminated in South Africa 2010.
4/14 qualifiers eliminated in Germany 2006.
6/15 qualifiers eliminated in Korea/Japan 2002.
4/15 qualifiers eliminated in France 1998.

European teams perform significantly better in Europe.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
11/10 thread.

-PB

Last 2 world cups have been one by Europeans, regardless wtf does this have to do with Australia?

Why do i care if the European nations are doing well or not so well?

We are part of Asia

Go crawl back in your cave that hinders the beasts of the world and chant ur KKK shit you inbreed fuck!

BTW the 2 favourites to win this world cup are Holland & France

Edited by Davstar: 28/6/2014 07:39:40 PM

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Davstar wrote:
paulbagzFC wrote:
11/10 thread.

-PB

Last 2 world cups have been one by Europeans, regardless wtf does this have to do with Australia?

We are part of Asia

Go crawl back in your cave that hinders the beasts of the world and chant ur KKK shit you inbreed fuck!

:lol: who says Holland and France are the two favourites?
u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

AFC > UEFA
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

A shame no AFC nation qualified in 2006 as it would of been the only WC where every confed would of been represented in the last 16.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
Davstar wrote:
paulbagzFC wrote:
11/10 thread.

-PB

We are part of Asia

:lol: who says Holland and France are the two favourites?

Prior to last night sports bet had France, Holland and Arg as the favourites...

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Pretty simple IMO. The Dutch, French and Germans have tried to attack, and have been successful.

Other European and Asian teams have played slow, boring and defensive, and got knocked out (or will get knocked out this round).
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search