Rate The Cup

Rate The Cup

Author
thejollyvic
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
With the final fast approaching and pretty much a sure sellout. How do you guys rate the cup? If we knew what we do know now. What do you think we should have different and how could or could we have made it better than it was?

Personally i think it was a massive success although the advertising/promotion could have been better. The biggest letdown for me would have to have been the delay in Socceroos matches during the group stage. Also the quater finals and semi finals being advertised as live on ABC only to end up only being the Australia games did hurt as well. What are your thoughts?
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

8.5/10

FTA was a let down and the lack of promotion of the A-League at such a critical time also made me deduct points. Otherwise it has been sick.

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

FTA a MAJOR let down.

Think about it. We watch the World Cup and EUFA Champions League (all games) yet the public have missed out on this once in a Century opportunity to showcase the Sport to all walks of life.

BeerBase
BeerBase
Under 7s
Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Are you feeling excited about the Asian Cup 2015 finals? Australia vs. Korea, or as BeerBase would say - Victoria Bitter vs. Hite. Which will be the last beer standing?

Check out the link provided:

http://beerbase.tumblr.com/Asian-Cup-2015-finals-Australia-vs-Korea?utm_source=Ljupco&utm_medium=referral
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Hite is terrible...

Anyway, as mentioned FTA and advertising were the big let downs. Some minor fixture issues but pretty successful overall.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Have to agree there was little promotion of the A-League during it.

Fantastic event though. 8/10
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
These few weeks have been some of the best in my entire footballing life. I've absolutely loved every minute of it.

Which surprises me, as being fully honest I wasn't overly excited when it was announced we would host it, I left getting my tickets seemingly late, and I didn't really board the hype train fully until I was sitting at Hunter Stadium and watched the Japan/Palestine game. From then on, I've been fully hooked on it.

I don't truly believe that we were the best option for the 2022 World Cup, but man oh man I would have been one of the happiest guys in the world if we were to host that.

I don't really have any negatives for the Cup that I can think of tbh. Free train travel was one of the best things they could have done, I got to see Japan and Australia play at Hunter Stadium, the guys at Across the Tasman have been seeding the games ( :lol: ), SantoSam+Ed have had Asian Cup Fever, and I've just loved it all. Maybe if Brisbane's pitch was a little better I would have said it was completely perfect. Also maybe I'll say that throwing a few HAL games in on the weekend was a bit odd.

So I'll give the Cup 9/10.
u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

Has been very good.

Semi in Newcastle was a mistake. Clearly should've been in Melbourne.
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

u4486662 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. How was Newcastle a mistake, and how should it have "clearly" been in Melbourne?
scotty21
scotty21
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

9/10

Been fantastic and might show a few people that we just might be capable of holding a WC here.

Stabilo
Stabilo
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

It really has been amazing. Great value, so stoked I picked up 2 venue packs. Apart for Melbournians whinging about not getting a semi final its been really good. :)
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

9/10 for Arab nation butt hurt.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. How was Newcastle a mistake, and how should it have "clearly" been in Melbourne?

I know you're from Newcastle, but semis of major tournament should be in the major cities like Sydney and Melbourne. And I say this an a Canberran.
pv4
pv4
Legend

u4486662 wrote:
pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:

I know you're from Newcastle, but semis of major tournament should be in the major cities like Sydney and Melbourne. And I say this an a Canberran.

Are you able to provide a reason as to why, and are you able to give reasons (knowing hindsight, and seeing the results) as to what a Melbourne semi would have done differently to how the Newcastle one was done?
u4486662
u4486662
World Class

pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:
pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:

Are you able to provide a reason as to why, and are you able to give reasons (knowing hindsight, and seeing the results) as to what a Melbourne semi would have done differently to how the Newcastle one was done?

Major finals are played in major cities.

Yes, Newcastle has a football stadium, they got a good crowd and the match was played well and watched by many.

But why don't we just have the final in Canberra then? That's our capital city. It would get sold out too. The pitch in Canberra is arguably the best in the country too.

Why is the FA cup final played in London every year? Why doesn't Stoke get a go for once?

Poor old Stoke. :(
pv4
pv4
Legend

u4486662 wrote:
pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:
pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:

Yes, Newcastle has a football stadium, they got a good crowd and the match was played well and watched by many.

But why don't we just have the final in Canberra then? That's our capital city. It would get sold out too. The pitch in Canberra is arguably the best in the country too.

Why is the FA cup final played in London every year? Why doesn't Stoke get a go for once?

It is because Canberra and Stoke don't pay for the rights to host those games.

I am still yet to see an actual reason as to why you think Newcastle hosting was a mistake, and that "clearly" it should have been in Melbourne tbh. If anything, in your explanations all you've done is talk up Newcastle.
phreeky
phreeky
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

7/10. -2 for FTA coverage, -0.5 for the Brisbane pitch and -0.5 for Japan not making the semis.
Redington Steele
Redington Steele
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (241 reputation)Hardcore Fan (241 reputation)Hardcore Fan (241 reputation)Hardcore Fan (241 reputation)Hardcore Fan (241 reputation)Hardcore Fan (241 reputation)Hardcore Fan (241 reputation)Hardcore Fan (241 reputation)Hardcore Fan (241 reputation)Hardcore Fan (241 reputation)Hardcore Fan (241 reputation)

8.5/10.

Brisbane's shit pitch, disinterest of AFL state governments and ABC's coverage the only real disappointments.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:
pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:
pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:

I am still yet to see an actual reason as to why you think Newcastle hosting was a mistake, and that "clearly" it should have been in Melbourne tbh. If anything, in your explanations all you've done is talk up Newcastle.

The only thing I can think of is AAMI holds more people. And by that logic it should have been held in Brisbane because 52k

Logistically - All 4 teams get to stay in the state (including 3/4 playoff)
Financially - NSW seems to have put up the most money for it
Structurally - ANZ was by far the biggest stadium used so Canberra can keep the BBL final
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Only major let down for me was the pathetic ABC coverage. Honestly why did they even bother bidding for it?

Great tournament otherwise.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

pv4
pv4
Legend

RedshirtWilly wrote:
pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:
pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:
pv4 wrote:
u4486662 wrote:

The only thing I can think of is AAMI holds more people. And by that logic it should have been held in Brisbane because 52k

Logistically - All 4 teams get to stay in the state (including 3/4 playoff)
Financially - NSW seems to have put up the most money for it
Structurally - ANZ was by far the biggest stadium used so Canberra can keep the BBL final

Yeah, I guess a bigger attendance would be one pro to holding it outside of Newcastle. But like you said, Brisbane would be the ideal choice for that. What is Melbourne Rectangular's capacity - 8k more than Hunter Stadium?
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Wasn't it something to do with the Victorian Govt realising all their hotels will be chokers this time of year due to the tennis?
Drunken_Fish
Drunken_Fish
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Too early to tell.

If the Socceroos win the final 10/10
If the Socceroos lose the final 0/10

Edited by Drunken_Fish: 29/1/2015 11:09:11 AM

I used to be Drunken_Fish

VedranFC
VedranFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Quality football - 9/10
Venues - 7.5/10 (ANZ shit, semi in Newy with grass behind goals)
Pitches - 8/10 (Brisbane woeful, newy avg)
Media coverage - 4/10 (abc shit and showing fuck all)

Socceroos factor - 8.5/10 = we've done wayyyy better in terms of our style and dominating, if we'd just scored one of those chances against South Korea and then had the xhance to play Iran in Sydney in front of 70k before the final that would have been the pinnacle. As it is we look good and have a bunch of great young players coming through backed by some great experience in jedi and timmeh.

Entertainment in matches - 9/10 been some great moments, even from teams you wouldnt have thought the public would be interested in such as the Saudis, Jordanians and Uzbeks etc

Overall - 8.5/10 has been way above expectations, but to have been perfect needed more fta more promotion a better pitch in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth to have gotten involved, security to have been a bit more sensible.
The Maco
The Maco
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

9/10, when you've got mates who hate the sport telling you how awesome the Iran/Iraq game was you know the tournament has done great

Edited by The Maco: 29/1/2015 12:03:11 PM
milan_7
milan_7
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

For me it's an 8.5/10, although I'm sure if there were games in SA I would be saying 9.5/10.
Glenn - A-league Mad
Glenn - A-league Mad
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

9/10 Loved it.

Bought the Brisbane pack and was happy to see all the games.
Was not expecting much till the Australia and Japan games but was hooked from the first whistle.

The whole atmosphere around the stadium in all the pubs was awesome. Meeting fans from all over was great and talking tactics with complete strangers over beers was even better.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I have Pay TV, so the Asian Cup has been fabulous. However, I always put ABC on when viewing Socceroo games.

I've really enjoyed seeing Asian teams from other countries play different styles of football to Australia and the HAL.

It was also good to see some football played on a Newcastle pitch which looked good. It was great seeing Canberra have some games too. Did Gosford have any on their superb pitch?

The only lowlight, was that Adelaide, Perth and Tassie did not get any games.

I will find it hard to go back to watching the HAL in comparison. International tournament football is for me the ultimate in the sport.

If I had to rate it out of 10, possibly 9.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
The Maco wrote:
9/10, when you've got mates who hate the sport telling you how awesome the Iran/Iraq game was you know the tournament has done great

Edited by The Maco: 29/1/2015 12:03:11 PM

Good to hear.
Griffindinho
Griffindinho
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

glad i didn't have to put up with ABC, with its crap quality and coverage.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search