Melbourne Knights vs FFA

Melbourne Knights vs FFA

Author
Footballsack
Super Fan
Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Without trying to create a huge thread or anything, I'm curious as to what happened? (Picture this like an "Explain Like I'm 5" thread from Reddit).

I saw the previous thread mentioning that the Knights were gonna take it to court and shit, but I never heard anything about it after that.

I personally thought that they shouldn't have been allowed to wear the sponsor in question as it breached the FFA's ruling over the National Club Identity Policy, and that they had tried pushing the buttons of the FFA on a technicality. In saying that, Broadmeadow Magic were sponsored by Newcastle Macedonia Sports Club, which I also disagreed with.

Guys, before you answer, I cannot stress this enough - This thread isn't about who was right and wrong. If you wanna argue who was right and wrong, the other thread seems to be for that. I'm just trying to just figure out the facts of the issue and how Broadmeadow Magic's sponsorship was deemed different.

Cheers guys! Thanks for (hopefully) sticking to this thread being factual only!

Edited by Footballsack: 19/2/2015 11:15:25 PM
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2030491

The FFA made a rule that you couldnt have new sponsors on your kit. This rule was changed but still occurred before the first ball was kicked. End of.

The Newcastle team had that sponsorship on their shirt all season.
Footballsack
Footballsack
Super Fan
Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)Super Fan (106 reputation)

Did anything come from their threat to take it to the Court of Arbitration?

Is it safe to say with the ruling that you can't have new sponsors and the National Club Identity Policy, that Broadmeadow Magic's nationalistic sponsor is almost certainly never going to happen again?
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Footballsack wrote:
Did anything come from their threat to take it to the Court of Arbitration?

Is it safe to say with the ruling that you can't have new sponsors and the National Club Identity Policy, that Broadmeadow Magic's nationalistic sponsor is almost certainly never going to happen again?

i dont think it is safe to say anything. I dont think anything has happened yet.

One thing that has happened is that Knights have entered the FFA Cup again. They also waited until they bowed out to bring this up.
Footballsack
Footballsack
Super Fan

Hmmm... I take it that this issue isn't over then?
SydneyCroatia
SydneyCroatia
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

scott21 wrote:

The FFA made a rule that you couldnt have new sponsors on your kit. This rule was changed but still occurred before the first ball was kicked. End of.

The FFA originally approved the sponsorship and the kit. They then reversed their decision
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

SydneyCroatia wrote:
scott21 wrote:

The FFA originally approved the sponsorship and the kit. They then reversed their decision

About the actual sponsors or whether new sponsors were allowed? Because its two different things.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

This is Knights jersey this season. With the sponsor they were discriminated against.....
https://www.facebook.com/MelbKnights/photos/a.212162077003.168621.208106337003/10153563908612004/?type=1&permPage=1

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Club hero returns.

WaMackie
WaMackie
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I'm keen to hear how the Knights went too with the Racial Discrimination case. Keep me posted.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

scott21 wrote:

Club hero returns.

Dude on the left looks like something is being pixelated out on his head :lol:

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Has he signed on to play? Or is he just back in Melbz?
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Case still pending.

Argument is that the FFA couldn't ban the sponsor because they are a legitimate business, so changed the rules to say that only pre-existing sponsors could be used. No apparent reason for such a rule change as it actually limits business opportunities for any club that progresses further than expected in the cup (a club that wins through should be able to take advantage of their success - this is the nature of football).

That said, we all know the Knights were taking advantage of the situation to challenge the FFA's new identity policy.

Eastern Glory wrote:

Just visiting as a guest of the club.

Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Benjamin wrote:

Eastern Glory wrote:

Just visiting as a guest of the club.

Good stuff. As much as we all like to hate Josip, he could be key for the next generation if he stays in Australia.
19-SU-58
19-SU-58
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
a good interview with simo. and some interesting comments about Australian football, especially the junior and youth set up.

http://www.crocmedia.com.au/2015/02/21/josip-simunic-former-croatia-international/

Not a Phase, Not a Trend, SYDNEY UNITED till the END! 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search