2015 SMFC Thread.

2015 SMFC Thread.

Author
SoccerLogic
Amateur
Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
After a couple of weeks, it's pretty clear not enough people are interested to maintain discussion about games week in week out but I'm hoping we can support a general SMFC thread to talk about the matches, players and everything else that comes with the club.

Some links:

OFFICIAL SMFC WEBSITE For club news and information.

SMFC TV For match highlights and video feature pieces.

SOUTH RADIO Club podcast for a lighter look at the week's events around Lakeside

SOUTH OF THE BORDER Alternative views on this great fan blog. Independent from the club.
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur
Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)

Far out the highlights for last night came out quick. Props to Pascoe Vale =d>

[youtube]UNlJPedVH-8&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Good to see us grinding out the results. Lujic is a beast. Interesting to see no Pascoe Vale fans lost it for his celebration this week :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by SoccerLogic: 25/4/2015 05:19:10 PM
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Pascoe vale didn't offer much and felt like they were almost content to lose by the solitary goal, in all honesty despite having most of the play and chances we were pretty lacklustre on the night I felt, didn't play with much tempo and butchered the ball a lot, a constantly rising injury toll isn't helping and we are losing Brennan to the jets when the transfer window opens....new faces will surely be coming in. We are very fortunate to have lethal lujic in front of goals.
Cromulent
Cromulent
Rising Star
Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)

South gifted a draw with this injury time equaliser, how a ref could miss this is beyond me

[youtube]g7Z34vrjpO8[/youtube]
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

How they missed that is beyond me, the only theory I could come up with was that they were trying to square it up for not awarding south a clear cut handball about 5 minutes earlier.

Cromulent
Cromulent
Rising Star
Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)Rising Star (820 reputation)

I didn't think any of those claims for handball were clear cut and that would be a ridiculous way to ref if that was his thinking. To see Lujic celebrate that "assist" is just about the lowest of lows in terms of sportsmanship, absolutely disgraceful
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Cromulent wrote:
I didn't think any of those claims for handball were clear cut and that would be a ridiculous way to ref if that was his thinking. To see Lujic celebrate that "assist" is just about the lowest of lows in terms of sportsmanship, absolutely disgraceful

I agree, he should have gone to the ref and asked for the goal to be removed:roll:...anyone who has seen that ref Shaun Evans officiate south games in the past would tell you he owes us about 10 of those dodgy calls, having been on the receiving end for years it's good to finally benefit from his pathetic officiating.

Is it just me or do they make ports ground smaller every year? Seems like the pitch has been brought in more on the social club side, also closing off the far side of the ground which offers the best view is really really stupid, I absolutely hate going to that ground because you can't get a decent spot on the outer to be able to see the match.
hellas_johnny
hellas_johnny
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Gifted it yes but should've had 2 handball penalties given in the space of 5 minutes in 2nd half soevens it out
Cromulent
Cromulent
Rising Star

southmelb wrote:

Is it just me or do they make ports ground smaller every year? Seems like the pitch has been brought in more on the social club side, also closing off the far side of the ground which offers the best view is really really stupid, I absolutely hate going to that ground because you can't get a decent spot on the outer to be able to see the match.

Yeah the pitch was brought in on that side this year, I think it was done by the AFC when they re-did the ground to use it as an Asian Cup training venue
Cromulent
Cromulent
Rising Star

southmelb wrote:
Cromulent wrote:

I agree, he should have gone to the ref and asked for the goal to be removed:roll:

I'm not suggesting that, I'm just saying when you pull a dog move like that, it makes it even more disgraceful to celebrate afterwards
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur

Cromulent wrote:
southmelb wrote:
Cromulent wrote:

I agree, he should have gone to the ref and asked for the goal to be removed:roll:

I'm not suggesting that, I'm just saying when you pull a dog move like that, it makes it even more disgraceful to celebrate afterwards

[youtube]HWcd3kd_jEI[/youtube]

Lujic is a beast but he's not a dog compared to Nando...

Ref was shit on Friday for both teams by the way. Mood around the park was sombre at best and the result fitted the non-occasion.
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur

1-0. Lujic.

This is starting to look like a season trend...
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

SoccerLogic wrote:
1-0. Lujic.

This is starting to look like a season trend...

Expecting a lot of moves in the transfer window that opens in a few days.

It's not just the 1-0 lujic trend, it's the fact that the team looks like a million bucks up until lujic scores....and then they dish up pure tripe for the rest of the game instead of going for the kill, we are just extremely fortunate that a lot of the other teams don't have much in them to hurt us...it's like some of our players feel bored. It was the same trend on Friday, great intensity and pressure in the first 20 minutes, beautiful move for the goal, then nothing else worth watching, we need to start putting 90 minutes together. I believe the first loss whenever it comes will be the wake up call this team needs.
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur

Although we're playing North Geelong next week which should put us back on track that first loss of the season stung, especially against Oakleigh... At least active support picked up.

Looking forward to seeing Irwin and Lakic get a run in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by SoccerLogic: 27/5/2015 07:09:15 PM
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Irwin is a good prospect, missed a sitter though on Friday night, also signed Jackson from Brisbane roar, very tall cb scored against the jets last month, the new striker who has been based in America looks like a fair player, apparently got drafted by Seattle sounders in mls from college but couldn't get a look in with clint Dempsey and obafemi martins up front.

Active support has really picked up, most of these kids are from victory , hopefully they behave.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Quote:
HOME NEWS
FFA Cup coach spotlight: Chris Taylor

image: http://www.theffacup.com.au/di/library/FFA_Cup/66/49/south-melbourne-coach-chris-taylor-image-credit-kevin-juggins_de01a3sgvq9w1q436awa98w5g.jpg?t=-1400662531

image: http://www.theffacup.com.au/javaImages/5c/e/0,,~13504092,00.jpeg
Play Video
South Melbourne coach Chris Taylor. Image credit: Kevin Juggins.

Monday, 1 June 2015
Sacha Pisani
Ahead of the huge Victorian Westfield FFA Cup derby this Friday night between South and the Knights, we analyse the career upswing of South Melbourne's Chris Taylor.
From the humble surroundings of Chaplin Reserve in Sunshine, to the state-of-the-art facilities at South Melbourne, Chris Taylor is now the toast of Victorian football.

But it has not always been smooth sailing for the Leicester-born coach.

Long before guiding South to the state's inaugural PS4 National Premier Leagues title last year, winning an unprecedented treble with Dandenong Thunder in 2012 and leading Melbourne Knights to within a penalty kick of a Victorian Premier League crown four years earlier, Taylor was making his name at Sunshine George Cross - a club that gave us Kevin Muscat, Manny Muscat and John Markovski.

South Armidale: penalty kings and new Cup stars

Not to mention Ernie Merrick, Paul Trimboli, Damian Mori, Craig Foster and Ernie Tapai all called Chaplin Reserve home at some stage throughout their careers.

And it is there where the 55-year-old enjoyed the highest of highs and lowest of lows.

"I think you take knowledge from all of your experiences. George Cross was certainly an experience for me," Taylor told www.theffacup.com.au.

With George Cross on its knees and facing an uncertain future, having been one of eight Victorian teams to participate in the now defunct National Soccer League (NSL), Taylor returned to Sunshine - where he enjoyed nine years as a player after Sunshine City merged with George Cross in the 1980s - and helped the club climb from the depths of the state's third-tier competition to the VPL in consecutive seasons.

While George Cross' return to the pinnacle of Victorian football gave Taylor iconic status, it was not long before plans were afoot to call time on his tenure as the relationship between coach, committee and fans turned sour.

Despite avoiding relegation on the final day of the season in 2005, with limited resources and a teenage Manny Muscat leading the charge, Taylor was sacked the following campaign after just six games.

"Going back to the club, it is like one of the heroes returns and the first year was fantastic. The first year is like the honeymoon. The second year people become a little bit more familiar with you but we got promoted," Taylor said.

"Probably the biggest achievement for me was the third year, staying in the Premier League with a very, very young and inexperienced side.

"The difficulty is, though, the longer you are at the club the more people become familiar with you and George Cross typified that.

"The first year no one dare speak to you, the second year people get a bit more familiar with you and the third year the bloke in the canteen is trying to tell you how to pick the team.

"That kind of summed up what the club was like. But football over here in general, two years is a good lifespan for you at most clubs because people want change for the sake of change."

Fast-forward nine years and the Englishman has gone from a maligned coach in the western suburbs to one of, if not, the best in Victoria.

During that time he has unearthed Socceroo full-back Ivan Franjic, who was handed his debut at the tender age of 17, while Mate Dugandzic (Knights) and Steve Pantelidis (Altona East) were both provided with a platform to eventual Hyundai A-League careers.

Taylor himself is ambitious and confident of progressing beyond the boundaries of the PS4 NPL, though he would much prefer to embark on that journey with South, who are not giving up hope of competing in the Hyundai A-League in the future.

"My immediate focus is on South Melbourne and my dream would be to get them in the A-League," he added.

Read more at http://www.theffacup.com.au/article/ffa-cup-coach-spotlight-chris-taylor/tmz8g68zulvt1g35h3b0wmun1#eopyDD5VYHidGotI.99

http://www.theffacup.com.au/article/ffa-cup-coach-spotlight-chris-taylor/tmz8g68zulvt1g35h3b0wmun1

Strange they mention A-League on an official FFA site.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Quote:
Across the Pond - Episode # 42: Nick Soolsma, former Toronto FC
Johan Dykhoff interviewing Nick Soolsma, Dutch midfielder with past Toronto FC.

Cut from FanTV.se

US in World Cup shape - defeated Turkey US in World Cup shape - defeated Turkey
Video: See all CL goals from Barcelona's super-trio Video: See all CL goals from Barcelona's super-trio
Summary: AT & T Byron Nelson Championship - Day 4 Summary: AT & T Byron Nelson Championship - Day 4
Summary: Irish Open Day 4 Summary: Irish Open Day 4
Summary: Barcelona Veszprem 28-23 Summary: Barcelona Veszprem 28-23
Nick Soolsma was born on January 7, 1988. He is originally from a small town named Andijk, which, however, since 2011 has been merged with another town by the name of Medemblik. Soolsma says in the interview that football was largely the only sport he practiced as a child and represented as FC Volendam and PSV on child and youth level. The season 07/08 began Soolsmas professional career when he played for the now defunct HFC Haarlem in the Eerste Divisie , ie the second highest division in the Netherlands who formally is called Jupiler League. He made ​​seven appearances for Haarlem on the season but went on and came to do two seasons in the semi-professional football in the Netherlands, first for FC Chabab and late VV Young Boys. Soolsma did very well in the Chabab and Young Boys and pulled partly out of interest from clubs in Qatar. Soolsma says, however, that he did not feel eager to move to there. Early in 2011 went Soolsma over to Canada to sample train with Toronto FC, then coached by Soolsmas countryman Aron Winter. He wrote at Toronto in March and came to 22 matches, three goals and five assists in MLS during the 2011 season Toronto, however, came second last in the Eastern Conference and thirteen points from a playoff spot. The season after, that is, in 2012, launched the Toronto season with nine straight losses, which is a record bad start to an MLS season, and Soolsma got less playing time than the year before. In July, Toronto and Soolsma agreed to break the contract with immediate effect, this incidentally shortly after Aron Winter was fired as Toronto coach. Soolsma then returned to the Netherlands and wrote in August 2012 on a contract with the Rotterdam club Excelsior Jupiler League. He came to make 22 league appearances for Excelsior the season. Excelsior came in fifteenth place in the Jupiler League and thus came second last of the clubs that went bankrupt and thus disappeared as the season progresses. After the season with Excelsior went Soolsma off on another adventure when he signed for South Melbourne FC, a team that is not playing in the highest division A-League but the National Premier League 's Victoria, which may be called the second division. Soolsma made ​​the move there with the intention to play only for a short time for South Melbourne FC to then be referred by any team in the A-League, but it never came to happen. Another reason for Australia move was to Soolsmas Canadian wife wanted to stay somewhere where English is the first language and therefore left the Netherlands after only a year in Excelsior. After the session in Melbourne returned Soolsma to Canada, this time to Vancouver, where he lives since the beginning of 2014. He played amateur football for two different clubs in Vancouver Metro Soccer League, the past season for Langley FC Hurricanes. The team finished fourth in their league and Soolsma, who now plays striker, won the top scorer. He also works as a coach alongside his own football gambling. In this interview, we talk among other things about how Aron Winter's coach, which MLS players he thought was the most difficult to play against, what he thinks about his ability to return to the professional football and some of the young Dutch players should keep an eye on for the future. "Click here to listen

http://www.svenskafans.com/varlden/across-the-pond-avsnitt-42-nick-soolsma-tidigare-i-toronto-fc-528428.aspx

the audio link is » Klicka här för att lyssna

SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur

scott21 wrote:
Quote:
HOME NEWS
FFA Cup coach spotlight: Chris Taylor

image: http://www.theffacup.com.au/di/library/FFA_Cup/66/49/south-melbourne-coach-chris-taylor-image-credit-kevin-juggins_de01a3sgvq9w1q436awa98w5g.jpg?t=-1400662531

image: http://www.theffacup.com.au/javaImages/5c/e/0,,~13504092,00.jpeg
Play Video
South Melbourne coach Chris Taylor. Image credit: Kevin Juggins.

Monday, 1 June 2015
Sacha Pisani
Ahead of the huge Victorian Westfield FFA Cup derby this Friday night between South and the Knights, we analyse the career upswing of South Melbourne's Chris Taylor.
From the humble surroundings of Chaplin Reserve in Sunshine, to the state-of-the-art facilities at South Melbourne, Chris Taylor is now the toast of Victorian football.

But it has not always been smooth sailing for the Leicester-born coach.

Long before guiding South to the state's inaugural PS4 National Premier Leagues title last year, winning an unprecedented treble with Dandenong Thunder in 2012 and leading Melbourne Knights to within a penalty kick of a Victorian Premier League crown four years earlier, Taylor was making his name at Sunshine George Cross - a club that gave us Kevin Muscat, Manny Muscat and John Markovski.

South Armidale: penalty kings and new Cup stars

Not to mention Ernie Merrick, Paul Trimboli, Damian Mori, Craig Foster and Ernie Tapai all called Chaplin Reserve home at some stage throughout their careers.

And it is there where the 55-year-old enjoyed the highest of highs and lowest of lows.

"I think you take knowledge from all of your experiences. George Cross was certainly an experience for me," Taylor told www.theffacup.com.au.

With George Cross on its knees and facing an uncertain future, having been one of eight Victorian teams to participate in the now defunct National Soccer League (NSL), Taylor returned to Sunshine - where he enjoyed nine years as a player after Sunshine City merged with George Cross in the 1980s - and helped the club climb from the depths of the state's third-tier competition to the VPL in consecutive seasons.

While George Cross' return to the pinnacle of Victorian football gave Taylor iconic status, it was not long before plans were afoot to call time on his tenure as the relationship between coach, committee and fans turned sour.

Despite avoiding relegation on the final day of the season in 2005, with limited resources and a teenage Manny Muscat leading the charge, Taylor was sacked the following campaign after just six games.

"Going back to the club, it is like one of the heroes returns and the first year was fantastic. The first year is like the honeymoon. The second year people become a little bit more familiar with you but we got promoted," Taylor said.

"Probably the biggest achievement for me was the third year, staying in the Premier League with a very, very young and inexperienced side.

"The difficulty is, though, the longer you are at the club the more people become familiar with you and George Cross typified that.

"The first year no one dare speak to you, the second year people get a bit more familiar with you and the third year the bloke in the canteen is trying to tell you how to pick the team.

"That kind of summed up what the club was like. But football over here in general, two years is a good lifespan for you at most clubs because people want change for the sake of change."

Fast-forward nine years and the Englishman has gone from a maligned coach in the western suburbs to one of, if not, the best in Victoria.

During that time he has unearthed Socceroo full-back Ivan Franjic, who was handed his debut at the tender age of 17, while Mate Dugandzic (Knights) and Steve Pantelidis (Altona East) were both provided with a platform to eventual Hyundai A-League careers.

Taylor himself is ambitious and confident of progressing beyond the boundaries of the PS4 NPL, though he would much prefer to embark on that journey with South, who are not giving up hope of competing in the Hyundai A-League in the future.

"My immediate focus is on South Melbourne and my dream would be to get them in the A-League," he added.

Read more at http://www.theffacup.com.au/article/ffa-cup-coach-spotlight-chris-taylor/tmz8g68zulvt1g35h3b0wmun1#eopyDD5VYHidGotI.99

http://www.theffacup.com.au/article/ffa-cup-coach-spotlight-chris-taylor/tmz8g68zulvt1g35h3b0wmun1

Strange they mention A-League on an official FFA site.

Haha yeah I think there's more calm now that it's been 10 years. This article sends a few messages.
-The FFA doesn't want to think aspirational football is dead in Oz.
-The FFA are comfortable with where SMFC are - and that is Victoria's biggest non-A-League club.

Can't really read into this too much CT's been in a few of these. Questions of A-League ambitions are always there too. Nice to know that the FFA's comfortable with this article though. Hardly an expansion of the A-League but it looks like they're moving past the New Football-Old Soccer thing for a more unified approach... albeit slowly lol

Edited by SoccerLogic: 3/6/2015 08:42:16 PM
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

yeah, i was just acknowledging the content.
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur

scott21 wrote:
yeah, i was just acknowledging the content.

I know, interesting stuff though.
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur

Tips for tonight?

I reckon South 2-1 in extra time
vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

I hope south with but I think it will be the Knights
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur

Last night's winner

https://www.facebook.com/smfc59/videos/10153311824293617/
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur

[youtube]watch?v=M1hxFxBSuWs&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur

We're in shit form coming up against Bentliegh and although I know we have the results we've looked poor on the park and rumours going round say Epa's off in Scotland trialling for Dundee united. Might get messy tonight against the top of table Greens...
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

@SMFC wrote:
We take on Youth sides from Russia, Germany, China and Spain in Shanghai over the next 10 days. Find out more here - http://t.co/WLEIftRP4f

Best of luck!!!

FlatCapsAndFalseNines
FlatCapsAndFalseNines
Under 7s
Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)

Hi all,

Im doing some research for a blog entry about South's Dockerty Cup win last weekend (and congratulations!).
Im finding it difficult to find information about the junior playing days of most of the current squad - in addition to Nikola Roganovic which others played junior football with the club?
Thanks for your help!
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur

[youtube]02O-r4ZizbA[/youtube]

Love the videos after a win like this and the celebrating in the club rooms!

First 3.00pm Sunday match in a while. I prefer the later 5.00pm start but fans seemed to respond and it was a beautiful day.

Great to see the team finish the season so strong, just hope they pull off the NPL State and NPL National Finals now!
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Personally I loved the 3pm Sunday start considering all the freezing cold Friday night home games this year, I think the Friday timeslot has been a failure this year, hopefully we return to Sundays 5pm and 3pm. A lot more kids and families at the game on Sunday, hopefully the board takes that into consideration for next season.

As for the team what can you say back to back minor premierships, 20 goals scored in the last 4 games, and we currently hold every trophy that's on offer in victoria. It's gonna be tough moving into the sudden death games now but hopefully we can win the grand final and then take the national playoffs.

Being a week in week out fan I can't complain about the last 2 years, someone told me we have only lost 6 out of a possible 60 something games in all competitions, amazing record.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search