'Unpopular' opinions thread

'Unpopular' opinions thread

Author
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Haven't had one of these for a while and I'm bored as shit.

-I think Spiranovic is our best Socceroos defender
-Jamie Young is one of the best 3 keepers in the comp with Eugene and Birra and has been better than Sorensen.
-Vedran Janjetovic wouldn't start for any other team bar CCM (maybe not so unpopular)
-Etihad Stadium isn't that bad with 30k+
- I like the finals series (but understand why we should recognise the 'league' champions as our proper champions rather than the winner of the finals

Edited by jlm8695: 6/4/2016 03:57:16 PM
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
-I actually think that CFG are doing a pretty decent job of turning around the abortion that was Melbourne Heart

*vomits out intestines*
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

- The A-League is better when Victory, Sydney and West Sydney are winning.
- I'm totally fine with City outspending everyone and blowing everyone away to build a quality squad.
- Nearly every A-League team is playing at an unsuitable ground and the obsession for modern stadiums does more harm than good.
- Central Coast should be relegated for South Melbourne after taking the piss for too long.
- The Lowy's should not have stayed involved with football after the reformation period.
- The state league clubs ethnic ties make things far more interesting than if they were all bland multicultural clubs.

Edited by melbourne_terrace: 6/4/2016 04:07:45 PM

Viennese Vuck

Socceroofan4life
Socceroofan4life
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Final Series is more important than the League.
loki
loki
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

-A-league refs aren't significantly worse than refs in most other leagues
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

The last time a club lost the best striker in the game (Brisbane/Berisha), a title winning coach got the sack, so everyone should lay off Arnie given he took a mess of a club to the final in one year and then lost the leading scorer the next (who is also a 20 goal a season striker in a mid-level Euro league). No other team/coach could handle that loss.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

> If given the choice I'd prefer to watch a random EPL game over a random A-League game not involving WSW.
> I don't really care for the Socceroos, want them to do well but kind just meh about them
> Don't fully rate Aaron Mooy yet.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
>Docklands should be Melbourne's permanent home ground

If current trends continue I can see this happening tbh - although not sure what would happen when the Big Bash rolls around.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Aljay wrote:
The last time a club lost the best striker in the game (Brisbane/Berisha), a title winning coach got the sack, so everyone should lay off Arnie given he took a mess of a club to the final in one year and then lost the leading scorer the next (who is also a 20 goal a season striker in a mid-level Euro league). No other team/coach could handle that loss.

Not many other coaches would make the choice to take that loss though, he brought it on himself imo

Edited by jlm8695: 6/4/2016 04:26:22 PM
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

jlm8695 wrote:
Haven't had one of these for a while and I'm bored as shit.

-I think Spiranovic is our best Socceroos defender
-Jamie Young is one of the best 3 keepers in the comp with Eugene and Birra and has been better than Sorensen.
-Vedran Janjetovic wouldn't start for any other team bar CCM (maybe not so unpopular)
-Etihad Stadium isn't that bad with 30k+
- I like the finals series (but understand why we should recognise the 'league' champions as our proper champions rather than the winner of the finals

Edited by jlm8695: 6/4/2016 03:57:16 PM

i would say spiro is still the most popular 1st choice for NT. sainsbury must be close in peoples opinions.

my first pick is wilko. to me he is clearly the best defender. you can pair him with a less competent defender and he can keep them in order. unlike sains and spiro.

bluebird
bluebird
Legend

Hmmm, let me just recount all my arguments

- The FFA are not doing a good job
- Our TV ratings will not improve on our first two FTA seasons by simply going to 7, 9 or 10
- The October kick off made no difference
- Miller didn't clip Berisha, it was a frame skip. There was no contact
- We need a second division with P/R to grow our game
- The All Stars are shit and any A League club can do just as good
- The current A League model doesn't work
- The FFA cup winner should get an ACL spot, the other two spots go to either league winner / runner up or grand finalists. Decide what is important instead of two trophies for the same league
- The A League is a poor player development platform

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

jlm8695 wrote:
Aljay wrote:

Not many other coaches would make the choice to take that loss though, he brought it on himself imo

the problem ssems to be with sfc not arnie. he has lost his shit though this year. he could probably do with a few years in a less stressful position - like the olyroos or something.

i think arnie for the olyroos is a fkn excellent idea. he has the best production record with youth in the game.

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

I don't think FFA are incompetent
I think the fox sports commentators are awesome including andy harper
Our refs are way too shy to get fouls red cards and penalties
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

The league needs to be independent.

THE STAPLER
THE STAPLER
Amateur
Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)Amateur (507 reputation)

melbourne_terrace wrote:

- The state league clubs ethnic ties make things far more interesting than if they were all bland multicultural clubs.

i've never admitted it to anyone before.....

but i agree 8-[
Soft News
Soft News
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Bring back the NSL
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Foxtel commentators have gotten way out of hand. Call the game. Why do we need to know every opinion about everything during a match. Leave that for the panels or write articles. STOP USING MATCHES TO PUSH YOUR PERSONAL AGENDAS.
moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Davidson has played on his namesake and needs to improve shitloads.
Aziz Behich needs another go at LB.
MAclaren atm will not displace Cahill.
Luongo has pretty much hit his peak, what he offers is all we can expect.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Mathew Leckie should be in the Socceroos starting xi
moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
> If given the choice I'd prefer to watch a random EPL game over a random A-League game not involving WSW.
> I don't really care for the Socceroos, want them to do well but kind just meh about them
> Don't fully rate Aaron Mooy yet.

Personally I would rather watch a HAL game or an ACL game before an EPL game.
salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

Any club that does not plan or want to build an actual academy developing players from the age of 6-8 in the next 5-10 years are a waste of an A-League licence and should be fucked off and replaced with an NPL club with an existing development structure.

Edited by salmonfc: 6/4/2016 05:01:19 PM

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Flares generated more interest from mainstream media
Docklands isnt a bad place
CFG are doing a lot for football and heart
Ethnic clubs are awesome and more interesting than half the A Liq
RBB are one of the greatest things to happen to the league as well as wsw

lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
Any club that does not plan or want to build an actual academy developing players from the age of 6-8 in the next 25 years are a waste of an A-League licence and should be fucked off and replaced with an NPL club with an existing development structure.
Woah, don't ask too much of them!

I'd say academy's within 5 years are paramount.

Academies facilities coaching education etc. should be included in the licensing requirements
spfc
spfc
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Perth would have won the championship if it wasn't for the cap business
Roar would never have won a championship without broich
Socceroos would have beaten the Netherlands at the WC if they started Troisi and Luongo instead of Oar and McKay
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

inala brah wrote:
jlm8695 wrote:
Aljay wrote:

the problem ssems to be with sfc not arnie. he has lost his shit though this year. he could probably do with a few years in a less stressful position - like the olyroos or something.

i think arnie for the olyroos is a fkn excellent idea. he has the best production record with youth in the game.

Do you even 2008?? :lol:

Nah in all seriousness, he would be good in that role. He has developed significantly as a coach since 2008 , has good youth development outcomes and great experience coaching in Asia, but a clear bias against physically smaller players and preference for parking the bus. The Olyroos would be playing a 451 away against Taiwan. I wouldn't complain if he got it, but I think Merrick might be a good choice too.
salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
Any club that does not plan or want to build an actual academy developing players from the age of 6-8 in the next 25 years are a waste of an A-League licence and should be fucked off and replaced with an NPL club with an existing development structure.
Woah, don't ask too much of them!

I'd say academy's within 5 years are paramount.

Fixed

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

walnuts
walnuts
Legend

-The Mariners have the best off-field setup/operations in the competition.
moops
moops
Pro

spfc wrote:
Perth would have won the championship if it wasn't for the cap business
Roar would never have won a championship without broich
Socceroos would have beaten the Netherlands at the WC if they started Troisi and Luongo instead of Oar and McKay

Wow!

Aziz instead of Davidson , yep that's about it

moops
moops
Pro

Aziz Behich should be our LB
Capac
Capac
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

This forum is where braincells go to die.

Buckley was a good administrator and most of the positives from the last few years are the fruits of his labour.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search