Unpopular opinions

Unpopular opinions

Author
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
433 wrote:
humbert wrote:
433 wrote:
Sort of a historical one:

The world would be a better place today had Germany won WWI.

You are a certified idiot.

a) Long, protracted war that leads to the deaths of millions and the creation of an even worse conflict + genocide.
b) Europe maintains its hegemony over the world and it enters another era of relative peace like it saw between 1815-1914.

Pick one.

I bet you think Germany was the "bad guy" of WWI.

Edited by 433: 8/4/2016 09:53:46 PM

It's an interesting one i'll give you that. You are mixing up WW1 not happening and Germany winning it though which makes things hard to say.

WW1 was the catalyst for the decline of the empire age and led to radical political change in regions that were not ready for it. Imo though, even if Germany had won, the damage would have already been done. Nationalism had been on the rise for the last 100 years and the empires would have been hard pressed to hold onto far flung territories in a post-industrial age capacity. France would probably instead become a seedbed for fascism and the Ottomans were on the point of collapse before the war anyway.

But i don't think you can say one side or the other were the "bad guys" in WW1. Everyone involved is to blame for for hijacking what was a domestic issue into a tool to escalate the greater tension and posturing between the elite political sides of Europe. Britain for example, should have stayed the fuck out of the whole thing.

Viennese Vuck

salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

Fuck, I need to read about WW1. Never really covered it in school.

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

salmonfc wrote:

What, you're telling me they didn't go on and on and on about Gallipoli?

Viennese Vuck

salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

melbourne_terrace wrote:
salmonfc wrote:

What, you're telling me they didn't go on and on and on about Gallipoli?

Pretty sure they covered Gallipoli, but I didn't really care about it. I wanna learn about the European side of the world wars.

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

salmonfc wrote:

The king of Yugo was assassinated yada yada anzac yada yada we won.

No my bad, some serbs killed some other guy

Edited by scott21: 8/4/2016 11:42:56 PM
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

scott21 wrote:
salmonfc wrote:

The king of Yugo was assassinated yada yada anzac yada yada we won.

No my bad, some serbs killed some other guy

Edited by scott21: 8/4/2016 11:42:56 PM

Not enough Anzac in this post :lol:

DOn't forget the other buzzwords: Somme, Kaiser etc etc.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
433 wrote:

I bet you think Germany was the "good guy" of WWII.
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
pv4 wrote:
Rockmelon is legit the worst fruit, nae, food in the entire world and anyone that enjoys it I just cannot take seriously.

Yes!!!! It just tastes like other fruit have gone rotten.

Ripe rockmelon tastes good but just like kiwifruit there is a very fine line between ripe and bruised or over-ripe, then it tastes like the worst thing in the world.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
paladisious wrote:
433 wrote:

If people think that ISIS's rise in prevalence is justifiable in response to an oppressive regime, then one must apply the same principles of logic to an oppressed Germany. Until the Final Solution, there must be no doubt that the German's were right to fight back against the League of Nations.

Of course they were right to fight back against the oppressive conditions laid down by the Allies after WWI (Merkel only paid back the last of the reparations in 2010!) but I am pretty sure Hitler crossed the line of being literally Hitler well before September 1939, let alone when he Final Solution was resolved in 1942.
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

australiantibullus wrote:
Outonthefull wrote:
I'll give you an unpopular opinion.

Smokers are doing society a HUUUUGE favour by dying decades earlier and saving the government millions.

30 years ago when everyone pegged it just after retiring maybe not but now with people spending their last 10 years in a hostpital/hospice smokers really are the unsung heroes of society.

Choof on boys. Light 'em up I say.

Edited by outonthefull: 8/4/2016 03:11:39 PM

Medical costs that the smokers are on our system. Still a financial interest to stop people smoking.

On a. Interesting aside. Nicotine patches being used to HELP treat depression and similar mental health problems in non smokers has been quite successful.

The tax generated already more than covers the cost associated with health issues
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

TheDecider wrote:
Liberal voters should be deported to Nauru.

And within a decade it'd probably one of the most advanced nations on earth whilst Australia relapses into North korea territory with Shorten at the helm taxing and controlling everything under the sun
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

433 is incredibly intelligent despite being a conservative. The kid knows his shit.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

433 wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:
A sugar tax is a good idea.

It's a shit idea because you're just punishing low socio-economic people who struggle to eat anywhere else.

It's called unpopular for a reason. I also think that it's cheaper and better for you to eat healthier.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Excellent discussion of the First World War.

You should all see the British dramatisation of the origins of the First World War. I think it's called 37 Days. Three part miniseries.

Excellent. Fairly even-handed although it may be slightly anti-German. I don't think Germany were the good guys. But I think France was every bit as much to blame. The Tsar and his military staff were thick as fuck.

Britain were fucking stupid for getting involved. They considered themselves obliged to side with France in war as a result of unwritten agreements with the French which most of the British Cabinet were unaware of. So that when the French decided to go to war, Britain became embroiled.

Effectively, Britain was underwriting the decisions of two of the most stupid countries in the world at the time; Russia and France.

Warmongers like Churchill thought this would be good fun but sadly common sense didn't prevail.

If I was in the British Cabinet back then I would have said the French can jog the fuck on. The French have got a lot to answer for in terms of last century's woes.

They fuck over the whole world and take no responsibility. Then after the fiasco of the First World War, they went a hell of a long way towards creating the Second World War by demanding such punitive and humiliating sanctions against Germany in the Treaty of Versailles.

Edited by quickflick: 9/4/2016 04:23:34 AM
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

433 wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
433 wrote:
Sort of a historical one:

The world would be a better place today had Germany won WWI.

Okay, we're going to need an explanation for this one :lol:

No WWI --> No rise of fascism + No rise of communism -> No USA vs. USSR --> No meddling in the Middle-East (because we didn't break up the Ottomans) --> No 9/11 + No ISIS

Contrary to what you may think, WWI was not anywhere near as "bad" or vitriolic as WWII - it was the last vestige of the "Romance of War". Of course, the fighting itself was worse for soldiers in WWI, but if you were a civilian living under German rule would be almost exactly the same as living under French or British rule.

Also, had WWI not have happened you might still see monarchies/empires today (which might be a good/bad thing depending on your POV). At the very least the Romanovs wouldn't have been massacred and Britain would still probably have possessions overseas.

And of course that's not to mention the millions of young men we sent charging at machine guns.

Edited by 433: 8/4/2016 06:27:41 PM

I'm not sure that it was so rosy to live under German occupation in the First World War.

Honestly, I'm going to declare I haven't studied this in enough depth. I do think the Germans get hard-done-by here and that they were no more culpable than the French or the Russians for the origins of the war (and not much worse than the British).

However I've heard tell of German (namely Prussian) brutality towards civilians in occupied territory.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

You are absolutely right that the Russian Imperial Family would not have been slaughtered. That would have been a good thing. I think a chance at organic political change in Russia would have been possible.

There would have been no rise of communism.

By the way, I think it's highly likely there would have been no Russian Revolution if the Tsarevitch did not have haemophilia.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Incidentally, does anybody know who would have become the British sovereign, post Queen Victoria, if the Order of Succession for the British monarchy was governed by male primogeniture? :lol:

This may well have utterly changed the face of history.

Edited by quickflick: 9/4/2016 04:37:06 AM
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

quickflick wrote:

You should all see the British dramatisation of the origins of the First World War. I think it's called 37 Days. Three part miniseries.

Excellent. Fairly even-handed although it may be slightly anti-German. I don't think Germany were the good guys. But I think France was every bit as much to blame. The Tsar and his military staff were thick as fuck.

Britain were fucking stupid for getting involved. They considered themselves obliged to side with France in war as a result of unwritten agreements with the French which most of the British Cabinet were unaware of. So that when the French decided to go to war, Britain became embroiled.

Effectively, Britain was underwriting the decisions of two of the most stupid countries in the world at the time; Russia and France.

Warmongers like Churchill thought this would be good fun but sadly common sense didn't prevail.

If I was in the British Cabinet back then I would have said the French can jog the fuck on. The French have got a lot to answer for in terms of last century's woes.

They fuck over the whole world and take no responsibility. Then after the fiasco of the First World War, they went a hell of a long way towards creating the Second World War by demanding such punitive and humiliating sanctions against Germany in the Treaty of Versailles.

This was pretty much just a petty attempt at revenge, not just for the war but also for the huge 5 Billion francs bill that Germany charged France in reparations after the war in 1871.

Viennese Vuck

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

melbourne_terrace wrote:
quickflick wrote:

This was pretty much just a petty attempt at revenge, not just for the war but also for the huge 5 Billion francs bill that Germany charged France in reparations after the war in 1871.

I know and the fucktards ought to have known, from their own belligerent attitude towards the Germans in the decades preceding the First World War, that the Versailles reparations and sanctions would seriously imperil peace and stability in the future. The Germans were always going to be resentful over that as well as utterly impoverished. A recipe for disaster as a result of which Hitler had a pathway to power.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
paladisious wrote:
11.mvfc.11 wrote:
paladisious wrote:
433 wrote:

If people think that ISIS's rise in prevalence is justifiable in response to an oppressive regime, then one must apply the same principles of logic to an oppressed Germany. Until the Final Solution, there must be no doubt that the German's were right to fight back against the League of Nations.

Of course they were right to fight back against the oppressive conditions laid down by the Allies after WWI (Merkel only paid back the last of the reparations in 2010!) but I am pretty sure Hitler crossed the line of being literally Hitler well before September 1939, let alone when he Final Solution was resolved in 1942.
I'd say the muslim's went too far when they started bombing innocent civilians, but that seems to be unpopular opinion in today's enlightened society.

"the muslim's" :roll:
humbert
humbert
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Few things to unpack here;

- as much as I admire Keynes, his ecotp has done much harm especially insofar as it has allowed this perverse idea of crippling reperations to ferment. I encourage everyone to read the current scholarship; at no point was Germany unable to pay, for the most part the Versailles treaty was a moderate one when considered in light of German plans for post war Europe (I encourage everyone to research the Brest Litovsk treaty and the Septemberprogram.
- it was German chauvinism and self deluding propaganda which manifestly drove the nationalist reaction in the interwar period and not, tangible realities of reperations.

Outonthefull
Outonthefull
Amateur
Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
"Battling depression" is a copout excuse used by celebrities and other clowns to shut down scrutiny and excuse their shit behaviour.

Not that I follow the AFL closely but the Garry Lyon thing is an exact case in point.

"That bloke is low scum"

"How dare you? He's depressed, get off his case"

Farking hell.

Like celebs who cheat on their wife and then claim they're 'sex addicts'.

Give me a friggin break.

KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

Outonthefull wrote:
"Battling depression" is a copout excuse used by celebrities and other clowns to shut down scrutiny and excuse their shit behaviour.

Agree. Some celebs can and do have mental health issues, but I'm instantly skeptical whenever one claims to. It's a poor excuse too - depressed people can still do horrible things and be horrible people.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Jimmy Fallon is the worst tv show host in history.

Death metal and all the new fucking sub-genres of metal are audible cancer

Russell Brand is overrated af

Fuck Adele

If Paul Keating beat John Howard in 1996 this country would be far better

Mitch Langerak is a better goalkeeper than Matt Ryan

Zac Snyder is a visionary director

Chris Jericho is the unsung legend of the wrestling industry

Grace Slick had the best singing voice of all time

Fried rice is shit

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

marconi101 wrote:

Fuck Adele

Fried rice is shit

1. Agree. Jimmy Fallon isn't funny in the slightest. His writers are decent, but he's shit.
2. I like Karnivool, but that's it.
3. Saddest times, I like Russell. He's different.
4. Agreed.
5. Ehh
6. Mitch is the better shot stopper, which is move important IMO.
7. Zac Snyder is the worst thing at ever happened to the human race.
8. Amen Brother.
9. Who?
10. Depends on the fried rice. Maybe you just hate it, because your house mate make its 24/7
salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class

Kid A is better than OK Computer.

marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:

Eastern Glory wrote:
9. Who?

[youtube]XR8LFNUr3vw[/youtube]

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

TheDecider
TheDecider
Hacker
Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
paladisious wrote:
433 wrote:

This has to be a troll.
TheDecider
TheDecider
Hacker
Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)

The ALP is the only party in Australia's history that has used its time in government to reshape the country instead of treading water.
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
marconi101 wrote:

Fuck Adele

Fried rice is shit

1. Agree. Jimmy Fallon isn't funny in the slightest. His writers are decent, but he's shit.
2. I like Karnivool, but that's it.
3. Saddest times, I like Russell. He's different.
4. Agreed.
5. Ehh
6. Mitch is the better shot stopper, which is move important IMO.
8. Amen Brother.
9. Who?
10. Depends on the fried rice. Maybe you just hate it, because your house mate make its 24/7

I thought this as well :lol:
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search