Unpopular opinions

Unpopular opinions

Author
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
humbert wrote:
Few things to unpack here;

- as much as I admire Keynes, his ecotp has done much harm especially insofar as it has allowed this perverse idea of crippling reperations to ferment. I encourage everyone to read the current scholarship; at no point was Germany unable to pay, for the most part the Versailles treaty was a moderate one when considered in light of German plans for post war Europe (I encourage everyone to research the Brest Litovsk treaty and the Septemberprogram.
- it was German chauvinism and self deluding propaganda which manifestly drove the nationalist reaction in the interwar period and not, tangible realities of reperations.

The idea that the reparations were crippling is not perverse. It's accurate.

I was under the impression that it would take until 1990 to pay back the reparations. paladisious suggests Merkel was only able to accomplish it in 2010.

That may be scarcely more harsh than other peace treaties. But it's still terribly harsh.

And boy did it facilitate Hitler's rise to power. Hitler would not have had nearly the amount of popular support without this. And not nearly as much popular support for expanding the Wehrmacht and the Luftwaffe.

A family friend was a young lad in Sudetenland in the prewar years. I'm not sure exactly the extent of his support of the Third Reich. Suffice it to say, he was made to starve and utterly humiliated as a lad. When a whole population is treated this way, it creates a massive wedge in society.

It means that extremist parties, which the Nazis were in the early days, get a lot more popular support. Ordinary people stop caring about things like ethics. They wan prosperity. And Hitler's ideology enabled this. And they want power.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Outonthefull wrote:
"Battling depression" is a copout excuse used by celebrities and other clowns to shut down scrutiny and excuse their shit behaviour.

Not that I follow the AFL closely but the Garry Lyon thing is an exact case in point.

"That bloke is low scum"

"How dare you? He's depressed, get off his case"

Farking hell.

Like celebs who cheat on their wife and then claim they're 'sex addicts'.

Give me a friggin break.

You're not wrong.

However, depression (and mental illness, in general) has been so stigmatised for so long. People die because of this.

Too many people don't seek treatment.

So, while I frown when people blame things on depression (when it may or may not be the case), I think we just have to accept it.

It's of greater importance that depression isn't stigmatised than that people exploit it.
Drunken_Fish
Drunken_Fish
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Attempted murder and murder should be treated in exactly the same way by the courts.

I used to be Drunken_Fish

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Drunken_Fish wrote:
Attempted murder and murder should be treated in exactly the same way by the courts.

Not only is attempted murder more of a grey area (aggravated assault? etc.) it's also contrary to principles of Common Law to do that.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Scarlett Johansson isn't good looking.
Anavar
Anavar
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)

the communist party of australia needs more funding

SYD04

damonzzzz
damonzzzz
Super Fan
Super Fan (160 reputation)Super Fan (160 reputation)Super Fan (160 reputation)Super Fan (160 reputation)Super Fan (160 reputation)Super Fan (160 reputation)Super Fan (160 reputation)Super Fan (160 reputation)Super Fan (160 reputation)Super Fan (160 reputation)Super Fan (160 reputation)

Slagging off another sport to try and prove how passionate you are for your own favourite sport is one the lamest things one can do.

Football fans are probably the worst for it.

Edited by damonzzzz: 9/4/2016 07:08:19 PM
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

salmonfc wrote:
Kid A is better than OK Computer.

=d>

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

salmonfc wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
Fuck, I need to read about WW1. Never really covered it in school.

What, you're telling me they didn't go on and on and on about Gallipoli?

Pretty sure they covered Gallipoli, but I didn't really care about it. I wanna learn about the European side of the world wars.

Eurosnob.
salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

Crusader wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:
salmonfc wrote:

Pretty sure they covered Gallipoli, but I didn't really care about it. I wanna learn about the European side of the world wars.

Eurosnob.

Name one decent Australian war.

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
scott21 wrote:

As someone married to a woman who particularly when makeup is on looks a liiitle bit like scarjo, I take offence to this post.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
scott21 wrote:

As someone married to a woman who particularly when makeup is on looks a liiitle bit like scarjo, I take offence to this post.

So you find it unpopular?
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
scott21 wrote:
pv4 wrote:
scott21 wrote:

:lol:
australiantibullus
australiantibullus
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

salmonfc wrote:
Crusader wrote:
salmonfc wrote:
melbourne_terrace wrote:
salmonfc wrote:

Eurosnob.

Name one decent Australian war.

Jokes on us, you used blue.
Outonthefull
Outonthefull
Amateur
Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)

Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

scott21 wrote:
pv4 wrote:
scott21 wrote:

My best mate's girlfriend looks so much like her, it's insane.
Good woman.
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
scott21 wrote:

Who wears makeup on their boobs?
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Society would be a better place if all drugs were legal and prescribed with little scrutiny by doctors and regulated by the government. I mean marijuana, cocaine, heroin, speed, ecstasy, acid and ice and anything else available.

- The government could use the tax revenue raised to fund support and treatment for addicts and save massive amount of tax revenue as they won't have to support drug prohibition enforcement or the incarceration of drug users.

- People would be more open about discussing and educating themselves on the actual effects drugs have on your body and what damage long term use will do.

- It will bring the costs down of most substances which would lessen the crime rate as there would be little need to steal or prostitute oneself to acquire the funds to support the habit

- And it will allow users of drugs to know exactly what is in the substance that they are taking which will lower the rate of overdoses.

And another unpopular opinion of mine: it would be great if the people on this forum could go into some detail regarding why they believe their unpopular is right.
Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Having not lived in war time, and living in a first world country

The decay of society is caused by ennui generated in peacetime
TheDecider
TheDecider
Hacker
Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)

I don't understand Australian football fans who arbitrarily support clubs on the other side of the world with no personal/familial/geographical/cultural connection to that club. This applies to most EPL fans in Australia.
TheDecider
TheDecider
Hacker
Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)Hacker (412 reputation)

The Cold War was a good thing for the middle and working class in the West because the threat of a workers' revolt forced governments to work to avoid social stratification.
Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

TheDecider wrote:
I don't understand Australian football fans who arbitrarily support clubs on the other side of the world with no personal/familial/geographical/cultural connection to that club. This applies to most EPL fans in Australia.

Same with basketball fans and the NBA. Most golden state Warriors fans would think golden state is a city :-k

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

TheDecider wrote:

Melbourne Victory always come first for me. But it's quite interesting on my dad's side he had a friend who he grew up with in the 50s who went for Manchester City having come from there but dad knew little of the game until much later but for myself i started to follow Manchester United since before i can really remember and that having been told by my mother was simply because i liked red because it went fast. However i can just not remember not following them. On the otherhand my mother's family arrive from rostock in the 1850s... but have always had strong connections with the city with many descendants returning, my grandfather spent alot of time there in the early 90s so thats my link with hansa.

Mostly tenuous but you look at alot of sports its the same... even afl, its not about where you live or your family etc... its who is winning.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

scubaroo wrote:
TheDecider wrote:

Melbourne Victory always come first for me. But it's quite interesting on my dad's side he had a friend who he grew up with in the 50s who went for Manchester City having come from there but dad knew little of the game until much later but for myself i started to follow Manchester United since before i can really remember and that having been told by my mother was simply because i liked red because it went fast. However i can just not remember not following them. On the otherhand my mother's family arrive from rostock in the 1850s... but have always had strong connections with the city with many descendants returning, my grandfather spent alot of time there in the early 90s so thats my link with hansa.

Mostly tenuous but you look at alot of sports its the same... even afl, its not about where you live or your family etc... its who is winning.

Or if their style of play (maybe specific players) appeal to you.

I support Liverpool, in part, because my mother did. She supported Liverpool because, when she was a girl, she liked the name of one of the players :lol:
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

vanlassen wrote:
Society would be a better place if all drugs were legal and prescribed with little scrutiny by doctors and regulated by the government. I mean marijuana, cocaine, heroin, speed, ecstasy, acid and ice and anything else available.

- The government could use the tax revenue raised to fund support and treatment for addicts and save massive amount of tax revenue as they won't have to support drug prohibition enforcement or the incarceration of drug users.

- People would be more open about discussing and educating themselves on the actual effects drugs have on your body and what damage long term use will do.

- It will bring the costs down of most substances which would lessen the crime rate as there would be little need to steal or prostitute oneself to acquire the funds to support the habit

- And it will allow users of drugs to know exactly what is in the substance that they are taking which will lower the rate of overdoses.

And another unpopular opinion of mine: it would be great if the people on this forum could go into some detail regarding why they believe their unpopular is right.

I don't think this counts as unpopular, it's just straight up uneducated. You clearly know nothing about drug addiction. Alcohol is legal and widely available, and there are huge problems with binge drinking and alcoholism. I'm all for marijuana being legal since it's relatively harmless, but the rest of this is just stupid.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Classical children's literature which has strong racist/classist undertones should be promoted without censoring aspects deemed inappropriate for children.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Condemned666 wrote:
TheDecider wrote:

Same with basketball fans and the NBA. Most golden state Warriors fans would think golden state is a city :-k

I can't fucking stand blokes who will wear say a clippers shirt and a NY Rangers hat.

It's as fucking stupid as wearing a Manchester United shirt and a Chelsea hat.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

KiwiChick1 wrote:
vanlassen wrote:

I don't think this counts as unpopular, it's just straight up uneducated. You clearly know nothing about drug addiction. Alcohol is legal and widely available, and there are huge problems with binge drinking and alcoholism. I'm all for marijuana being legal since it's relatively harmless, but the rest of this is just stupid.

Portugal decriminalized drugs to some extent and their crime and addiction rates fell.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

BETHFC wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:
vanlassen wrote:

Portugal decriminalized drugs to some extent and their crime and addiction rates fell.

Decriminalisation is very different to "all drugs being legal and prescribed".
Socceroofan4life
Socceroofan4life
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

KiwiChick1 wrote:
vanlassen wrote:

I always found that drugs are as big as problem as they are because drug addiction is usually considered a criminal problem and not a health one. That doesn't mean though to address vanlassen that all drugs should be legalised that's fucking dumb as shit lmao.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search