What's your local spot?

What's your local spot?

Author
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Show us pictures, vids, stories of where you grew up in the water.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

My local spot growing up was Maroubra. Home of the bra boys and all the tales that go along with that image. Went to school not far away and it was the closest beach to home and school. Average wave size day by day is usually between 0.8m and 2m, so it's a good place to learn but also provides some waves for the more experienced. The occasional set is fairly large when it does come in. It provides tubes on pretty much any decent day there. It provides both left handers and right handers and the beach is pretty much spot on 1km lkong so there's plenty of room to stay away from the boardies and red and yellow flags.

http://i.imgur.com/V4ZLSWd.jpg">

Here's a vid from an average-above average day

When a storm cell rolls in it is absolutely pumping and have seen it get to insane level (4+ metres no uncommon from personal experience), but I haven't been able to find any vids.

Surf cam for the 'Bra can be found here: http://www.coastalwatch.com/surf-cams-surf-reports/nsw/maroubra - fairly tame today though

I'll post more up of local places in the Eastern Suburbs in due time. Would love to see some stuff about Narrabeen/etc from you LFC, we never ventured up there. The whole north vs Bra vs Cronulla thing you know, haha.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Draupnir
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Mate, we had many favoured breaks, we loved venturing depending on winds,swell direction you know.
Nth Narra, the pinnacle of the north I suppose, many Champs of the past, heavy in its days, awesum strong beach break, having narrabeen lagoon running out near the pool, this created the paddling out channel and the banks out the back.
Can take some large swell better than expected.
Was like a who's who in the water when on, amazing history. Sometimes after your surf you'd just sit there watching some of the greats !
https://youtu.be/dYV1w0e9xhk https://youtu.be/R-GwewWuLWY
Compared to the city and south beachs we had many more choices that were just as good as northi but not as known - they were jewels back in the day.
Before development started Bungan Beach, had a long steep walk down to the beach, only dog walkers and was one of the first nudie beachs back in the late '70's.
Had a great north end bank left hander with a rock shelf that would help the swell suck for paddling on, hardly any crowds all day, you'd sit up on your board and just turn around and see vegetation all the way up to the road and north and south huge headlands, now, house's replace the vegetation (some probably worth around $5M +-) but the place is still on, more crowded but beautiful still to surf and hang.

Love Football

Edited
8 Years Ago by LFC.
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Surfed the northern beaches growing up, then lived near Maroubra for Uni, didn't get out in the water much which I regret now. Moved back north a while ago and used to do Sat morning trips to Long Reef, Dee Why, Avalon.

Now with small kids, the boards are gathering dust in the shed.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search