Australian News/Events Thread

Australian News/Events Thread

Author
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
One stop place to discuss all the happening in Oz that isn't political.

General news etc.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

This Lindt Cafe inquest is absolulety retarded.

How under-prepared, poorly trained, poorly handled this whole thing was.

Absolute perfect storm of everything going wrong.

-PB

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Who  the hell is roxy ? And why did 60 mins interview her?
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 22 Aug 2016 8:51 PM
Who  the hell is roxy ? And why did 60 mins interview her?

How anyone could watch 60 minutes anymore I don't know. 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Roar_Brisbane - 22 Aug 2016 9:55 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 22 Aug 2016 8:51 PM

How anyone could watch 60 minutes anymore I don't know. 

It used to be quality, then  it just became a 1 hr long version of aca
luuckee
luuckee
Fan
Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 22 Aug 2016 10:38 PM
Roar_Brisbane - 22 Aug 2016 9:55 PM

It used to be quality, then  it just became a 1 hr long version of aca

The dumbing down of news - cause or effect?
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

luuckee - 23 Aug 2016 10:07 AM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 22 Aug 2016 10:38 PM

The dumbing down of news - cause or effect?

I'd say ratings ... people want entertainment over content. 60 Minutes had to change or face the axe
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

lol I saw an ad during the Fuddy for something about some "mongrel tradie" that 60 Minutes was going to "bring down" lol.

-PB

Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Hes at it again->
I hope you die - Video of screaming Salim Mehajer

Hes still relevant in August 2016, how?
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Condemned666 - 23 Aug 2016 12:24 PM
Hes at it again->
I hope you die - Video of screaming Salim Mehajer

Hes still relevant in August 2016, how?

For the same reason the Kardashians are, people are stupid.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

paulbagzFC - 23 Aug 2016 11:23 AM
lol I saw an ad during the Fuddy for something about some "mongrel tradie" that 60 Minutes was going to "bring down" lol.

-PB

Kerry packer will be turning in his grave, his beloved aca and 60 mins becoming tabloids
luuckee
luuckee
Fan
Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)Fan (74 reputation)

sokorny - 23 Aug 2016 11:22 AM
luuckee - 23 Aug 2016 10:07 AM

I'd say ratings ... people want entertainment over content. 60 Minutes had to change or face the axe

I would agree. We get what we ask for.
luuckee
luuckee
Fan

The woman who threw her banana at Eddie Betts and also called him a monkey allegedly is 27.
I can accept that the older Australians may have grown up with less cultural awareness, and that the youngest among us are more likely to be impulsive and maybe uneducated, but 27 is exactly the age when you should know better.
Reading some of her fathers comments trying to defend her, he clearly does not get it. Pathetic.
Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

luuckee - 23 Aug 2016 2:06 PM
The woman who threw her banana at Eddie Betts and also called him a monkey allegedly is 27.
I can accept that the older Australians may have grown up with less cultural awareness, and that the youngest among us are more likely to be impulsive and maybe uneducated, but 27 is exactly the age when you should know better.
Reading some of her fathers comments trying to defend her, he clearly does not get it. Pathetic.

takes us back to the dark ages, the 2016...

edit meanwhile the pokemon go craze is on the way out
Edited
8 Years Ago by Condemned666
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I think Dani Alves had the best response to a similar situation:

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Yeah that shit is ridiculous.

And people trying to say it's not racist ffs.

-PB

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 23 Aug 2016 6:08 PM

Yeah that shit is ridiculous.

And people trying to say it's not racist ffs.

-PB

This one is clearly racist. There have been numerous posts to the port Adelaide football FB from people around her suggesting she made racist comments before throwing the banana.

Eddie is a wonderful role model for kids and a great entertainer of the game. It's sad that this still happens. Good on him for basically ignoring her in his response and showing that this unnecessary nonsense won't bring him down. I thought his response was perfect.

Aljay
Aljay
Pro

So this happened in Nth QLD

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/french-man-at-fatal-qld-hostel-stabbing-allegedly-yelled-allahu-akbar-police-20160824-gqzw0i.html
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Fark off, the kent stabbed a dog. 

What a fuckwit.

-PB

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

paulbagzFC - 22 Aug 2016 8:21 PM
This Lindt Cafe inquest is absolulety retarded.

How under-prepared, poorly trained, poorly handled this whole thing was.

Absolute perfect storm of everything going wrong.

-PB

Just on this, UK Terrorism Experts have questioned why NSW police didn't use a Direct Action Plan to deal with this situation rather than waiting for an Emergency Plan to take affect after a hostage was already killed.

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

An opinion piece so make of it what you will;

Heads need to roll after the Lindt siege inquest

Catherine McGregor, The Daily TelegraphIN one devastating sentence Thomas Zinn summed up the performance of the NSW Police leadership in response to the Lindt Cafe siege of December 2014: “God help Australians if we ever face a terrorist with more than a sawn-off shotgun.”The army of lawyers, experts and witnesses who have grappled with this issue could save themselves a lot of time and trouble by accepting that as the key finding of the inquest into the Sydney siege.Colleagues Miranda DevineAndrew Bolt and Tim Blair have already highlighted the abject failure of the senior leadership of the NSW Police in responding to this terrorist attack. That was partly because of their apparent reluctance to classify it as an obvious case of mass casualty Islamist violence from the outset.
Siege hostage Elly Chen runs from the Lindt cafe in Martin Place / AAP
Yet, perversely, their hand-­wringing preoccupation with imaginary community sensitivities indicated they did intuitively grasp that Man Monis was not just a deranged man with a weapon.The hostages lost out both ways. The police leadership could frame the situation as directly involving Islam, when it came to fear of a backlash, but not when it came to the likely course of action of the terrorist nor the response to him. 
From the moment Monis used a weapon to take hostages, and displayed an ­Islamic State flag, the Lindt Cafe siege warranted the immediate involvement of the Commonwealth of ­Australia and the invocation of ­relevant provisions of Aid to the Civil Power embodied in the Defence Act and under our Constitutional ­Conventions.Last week’s evidence from both Commissioner Andrew Scipione, and his deputy, with direct responsibility for counter-terrorism, Catherine Burn, revealed the depth of the cultural malaise afflicting the NSW Police. In passing, maybe that decline commenced when it started to see itself as a service, not a force?Based on their own evidence — which resembled evidence, the way their “leadership’’ resembled leadership — both should be relieved of their commands forthwith.The evidence of systemic failure which has come to light through this inquest demands that heads roll.If that seems harsh remember two innocent young lives were extinguished. One, if not both of them, may well have been spared if the police command had been up to the challenge it faced.It gives me no joy whatsoever to write that. I have served in the military, including in operational theatres, and I err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt to any man who has to blast down a door not knowing what is on the other side.
“God help Australians if we ever face a terrorist with more than a sawn-off shotgun.”
Nor do I wish to make the process of closure of the families of the victims harder by suggesting that there was an alternative ending to this drama in which their loved ones survived. But it is difficult not to conclude precisely that.Both in conception and execution this operation was botched. Moreover the entire raising, training and sustaining function for the direct action capability has been exposed as inadequate. For that, Burn must bear heavy responsibility. But it is Scipione who has presided over the culture of box-ticking compliance which elevated her to her current rank and roles, at the expense of Nick Kaldas. Though only involved on the periphery of this siege, he is the only senior officer who emerged creditably.Nor can there be any question about the courage and dedication to the safety of the public of the operators who finally conducted the assault. They did what they were asked, but they lacked the training, the equipment and the guidance that they were entitled to expect from their chain of command.They made the best of a dire situation whose roots may be found in the system that failed to provide them with the best of night-vision equipment, the most appropriate ammunition, and effective communications and surveillance assets. We now know that the team was disorientated by its own stun grenades during the breach. Had they not rehearsed this with live ammunition routinely in recent months?
Lindt cafe gunman Man Haron Monis.
It is too late to draw comfort from the fact that our military maintains two highly capable Tactical Assault Groups, at a high state of readiness, in Sydney and Perth. These teams are highly trained, superbly equipped and conduct routine live-firing rehearsals for vastly more complex operations than this. Such is the pitch at which they operate that they are retained only on standby for strictly limited periods. During that time they fire large quantities of live ammunition to achieve the highest levels of proficiency in close quarter, instinctive shooting. I have observed live fire rehearsals at the “killing house’’ at Holsworthy conducted by TAG East.
Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn and Commissioner Andrew Scipione / Picture: Ray Strange
It was both impressively precise and lethal. Based on the police evidence it seems valid to ask when was the last time the Lindt siege team had used live ammunition in rehearsals or conducted an operation of this nature in real life? Did the team routinely operate together or was it just cobbled together on the day? At the next COAG conference counter-terrorism capabilities need to be on the table. If the largest, most wealthy state in the Commonwealth cannot train and equip a force capable of such operations the Commonwealth needs to allocate responsibility to the ADF.More complex domestic violence situations, drug and gang related crime warrant a special capability organic to the state police service. Likewise, better shooting skills, especially with long muzzle weapons, need to be inculcated right across the service. The likelihood of encountering well-armed offenders has risen alarmingly, as has the prospect of first responders encountering someone like Monis. But sustaining a standing capability, primed to the pitch that the special forces maintain, is clearly beyond even the most competent police service. And we clearly do not have that.Catherine McGregor is a former senior military aide-PB

sokorny
sokorny
Pro

Could it be a case of fueling an agenda with deception?? (That is, a "nationalists" trying to create furor to Muslims??) Just seems a bit weird considering that the attacker has no Muslim connections (apparently) ...

Was the man "brainwashed" by Islamic State propaganda?? Apparently has a drug and mental health history, which may make him susceptible to suggestions (propaganda) ...
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Turns out he might have been a whackjob that was madly in love with the chick and he went metal.

Screw loose etc.

I'm not surprised though that the Police are mad keen to play day the Allah Akbar stuff.

-PB

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Theyre talking about building a drive in zoo in Perth, years ago they were talking about building 3 theme parks in the swan valley, no idea what happene to that.
Aljay
Aljay
Pro

Just because someone shouts Allah Akbar doesn't make them a jihadist.

So far it seems that it was a case of a middle eastern male resorting to violence against a female, which is a cultural issue.

Add it to the list of Salim threatening rape in the latest video, the Sydney guy currently in the news for stabbing his hairdresser wife for leaving him, 1000 rapefugees in Colonge, the Pakistani Instagram star who was murdered by her brother 'because honour', pack rapists in Sydney and Leb gangs harassing 15 year olds in Cronulla before the riots.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Hamish and Zoe Blake are getting heat over the bonds ad where she pulls his pants down and smacks his bum. What a joke, it's meant to be humorous.

However, I do have to laugh at people making comments regarding reversing the roles. If Hamish did it to Zoe the feminists of Australia would jump to attention about sexism and DV.
This would is far too politically correct. It's an ad. It's fun. Get over it.

Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro

Blah blah blah, gay marriage, every f×cking day! 

This argument is the 2016 equivalent of grunge, teenage angst where they want to cause destabilisation to the system- Man!

Inconvenient truth, the gays are more represented in the public sector which is why there is such a voice. You wouldnt hear about this angsty whiney complaining in blue collar/ cfmeu. There might be some gays there, but they put up with it rather than bitch about it

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Condemned666 - 29 Aug 2016 12:06 PM

Blah blah blah, gay marriage, every f×cking day! 

This argument is the 2016 equivalent of grunge, teenage angst where they want to cause destabilisation to the system- Man!

Inconvenient truth, the gays are more represented in the public sector which is why there is such a voice. You wouldnt hear about this angsty whiney complaining in blue collar/ cfmeu. There might be some gays there, but they put up with it rather than bitch about it

lol based on what empirical evidence? :doze:

-PB

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

I am disturbed by the shitstorm over a Perth mother painting her son's face brown so he could be like his hero Nic Nat from the West Coast Eagles.

Is this what we want to teach our kids? That our heroes have to be the same colour as we are? Nic Nat even posted that he was upset by the backlash.

If Nic Nat was offended, sure, it's  inappropriate. But this is a kid who isn't blinded by race wanting to be like his idol. This sort of thing should be celebrated rather than condemned.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

BETHFC - 30 Aug 2016 9:32 AM
I am disturbed by the shitstorm over a Perth mother painting her son's face brown so he could be like his hero Nic Nat from the West Coast Eagles.

Is this what we want to teach our kids? That our heroes have to be the same colour as we are? Nic Nat even posted that he was upset by the backlash.

If Nic Nat was offended, sure, it's  inappropriate. But this is a kid who isn't blinded by race wanting to be like his idol. This sort of thing should be celebrated rather than condemned.

HAHA I read backlash as blackbash.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search