Australian News/Events Thread

Australian News/Events Thread

Author
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
paulbagzFC - 28 Nov 2016 12:11 PM
I'd want it legalized solely for the revenue it'd raise lol.

Look at some of the figures that have been produced in America, albeit with larger populations of course.

That's the kinda stuff that pays for roads, schools, hospitals etc.

-PB

Got to weigh up the social costs though, and in America I'd imagine the cost expenditure on law enforcement of marijuana would be significantly higher than Australia. I remember some absurd stat where a significant proportion of America's prison population is made up of marijuana users (not suppliers). That though is partly because prisons in America are big money makers too.
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Definitely something that needs to be relooked at, but let's let the Americans be the testing ground. Let's wait and see how their trial states hold up after 5 years of legalisation.
sokorny
sokorny
Pro

Aljay - 28 Nov 2016 2:09 PM
Definitely something that needs to be relooked at, but let's let the Americans be the testing ground. Let's wait and see how their trial states hold up after 5 years of legalisation.

Been legal in Colorado and Washington since 2012 (almost 5 years). How are they holding up compared to the rest of the USA??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/10/13/heres-how-legal-pot-changed-colorado-and-washington/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/02/21/from-colorado-glimpse-life-after-marijuana-legalization/rcccuzhMDWV74UC4IxXIYJ/story.html

Seems the sky hasn't fallen down, yet ... I would imagine in Australia our passive smoking laws might be stricter than some US states too.
Aljay
Aljay
Pro

Geez time has flown, didn't realise it was that long. Would love to see some research from those states.
sokorny
sokorny
Pro

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-07/costa-weighs-in-on-urban-food-street-controversy/8099868

It is a shame that community based initiatives are being derailed by local governments and regulations. This is something that a local government should be doing everything in their power to enable and work with the community to ensure they can continue to provide a resource to not only build a community but provide local produce to residents.

How would be what they are doing be any different to a community garden??? Surely the local government could cover the street-side gardens under similar land use rules.
Aljay
Aljay
Pro

Car bomb at the Australian Christian Lobby headquarters in Canberra. Well, either that or someone driving a van laden with gas bottles at 11pm at night feel asleep behind the well and jumped the median strip.

Rainbow terrorism or out of control driver?
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Bit weird to do it later at night lol

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

sokorny
sokorny
Pro

paulbagzFC - 22 Dec 2016 8:58 AM
Bit weird to do it later at night lol

-PB

Want to send a message only but not actually hurt anyone?? Or a conspiracy (that is being done by fundamentalist Christians to look like a terror attack)
Aljay
Aljay
Pro

I assumed it was wanting to send a message, not cause casualties.

Now reports are saying that it isn't politically or terrorism related.

I smell a cover-up already - unless there is some amazing explanation as to how someone detonating a bomb on the premises of a political lobby group isn't politically related.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Aljay - 22 Dec 2016 1:07 PM
I assumed it was wanting to send a message, not cause casualties. Now reports are saying that it isn't politically or terrorism related. I smell a cover-up already - unless there is some amazing explanation as to how someone detonating a bomb on the premises of a political lobby group isn't politically related.

What has the Christian lobby ever achieved anyway? Do they currently have anything going which may have brought about this attack (if it is one)?

Aljay
Aljay
Pro

For a start they are enemy no.1 for anyone in Australia campaigning for gay marriage and well up the list for supporters of the Safe Schools program.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

claremont serial killer arrested in Perth, pretty big news in Perth

Edited
8 Years Ago by Iridium1010
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Iridium1010 - 23 Dec 2016 6:00 PM
claremont serial killer arrested in Perth, pretty big news in Perth

Have been following this case for some time, genuinely surprised that they caught the guy after all this time. 
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Roar_Brisbane - 24 Dec 2016 12:25 AM
Iridium1010 - 23 Dec 2016 6:00 PM

Have been following this case for some time, genuinely surprised that they caught the guy after all this time. 

I find it weird how he apparently stopped killing

Mr B
Mr B
Legend

Iridium1010 - 24 Dec 2016 12:56 AM
Roar_Brisbane - 24 Dec 2016 12:25 AM

I find it weird how he apparently stopped killing

Indeed.

Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Alcohol bans on Coogee beach after impromptu rave on Christmas Day->
http://www.afr.com/real-estate/residential/nsw/coogee-bans-alcohol-after-christmas-backpacker-rave-dumps-15-tonnes-of-garbage-on-beach-20161227-gtimic

Nice work, dipshits!

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

I see youth crims in centres are going burko in Vic like they are up here in NQ

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 9 Jan 2017 8:49 AM
I see youth crims in centres are going burko in Vic like they are up here in NQ

-PB

Wait for bleeding hearts to tell us that youth detention is too harsh and that's why they're acting out etc etc....

Fuck me, these kids really have to run riot to even get sent their. For them to be acting out means they haven't learnt anything and should remain isolated from the community until it changes.

Aljay
Aljay
Pro

This bloke in Melbourne should be executed.
Aljay
Aljay
Pro

Dude's FB page been found :
Dimitrious Gargasoulas

The guy's clearly out of his mind.
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Aljay - 20 Jan 2017 6:53 PM
Dude's FB page been found : Dimitrious GargasoulasThe guy's clearly out of his mind.

Just checked and his page is getting bombed, not surprising really. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Cünt is getting fisted. 

Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro

"You're going to get bum fucked in jail" 

Seems like the general consensus. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by Gayfish
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro

One of the family members commenting on there as well. 
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro

Started with 229 friends, dropped to 223 now.
kavorka
kavorka
Amateur
Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)

I work near the area where it happened. I tell you what, when all the investigation is done and dusted, Vic Police will have ALOT to answer for this.

1. He was free on bail when has a long history of violence (he was released on bail against the police's advice). ok so not Vicpol's fault here
2. he was on the loose for 11 hrs after stabbing his brother, criss crossing the city
3. they backed off on the police pursuit when he was heading towards the city (not good enough)
4. watching idly as he is doing burnouts on flinders st (where were the police? why didn't they shoot the tires or ram the car?)

As a worker, I find that with so many homeless and mentally unstable, drug addicted menacing people roaming the cbd these days (believe me I have seen it all), that there is little to zero police presence.

FFS wouldn't you have at least heavy police presence at one of the city's most important landmarks and potential terrorist target (ie flinders st station)?

For me personally, I am amazed it has taken so long for something like this to happen. Such a tragic loss of life that could have been avoided.
Edited
7 Years Ago by kavorka
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

kavorka - 21 Jan 2017 8:42 AM
I work near the area where it happened. I tell you what, when all the investigation is done and dusted, Vic Police will have ALOT to answer for this.

1. He was free on bail when has a long history of violence (he was released on bail against the police's advice). ok so not Vicpol's fault here
2. he was on the loose for 11 hrs after stabbing his brother, criss crossing the city
3. they backed off on the police pursuit when he was heading towards the city (not good enough)
4. watching idly as he is doing burnouts on flinders st (where were the police? why didn't they shoot the tires or ram the car?)

As a worker, I find that with so many homeless and mentally unstable, drug addicted menacing people roaming the cbd these days (believe me I have seen it all), that there is little to zero police presence.

FFS wouldn't you have at least heavy police presence at one of the city's most important landmarks and potential terrorist target (ie flinders st station)?

For me personally, I am amazed it has taken so long for something like this to happen. Such a tragic loss of life that could have been avoided.

You anger is misdirected and take it from me, someone who always loves to stick the first boot into the cops, BUT:

1. As mentioned not police's fault. They braught him to the attntion of the courts and just like Mad Monis or whatever his name is, just like with Jill Magher's killer he was let loose. I have no issue with bail I have issue on the conditions or bail. If they have an addiction they should rehab in prison until trial. Thats my opinion.

2. This was the reason he got away with it. He his in plain site. He was sitting in his car not too far from the scene of the accident but not close enough to be a suspect. And if the police are gathering evidence they are second in the chase regardless.

3. They backed off him as not to create a reaction that would cause an accident like this. He was in a very crowded place. He could have done anything at the sight of police and as you can see thats exactly what happened. It's a big catch 22.

4. What if it hits the hubcaps or something and hits one of the many in the city? Then you have 5 dead and he still goes on his rampage. You shoot to clear and I daresay there wasnt a clear shot with him being in a moving vehicle.

I reckon the cops are regging hard no matter what. props to the bloke who jumped out of his car with a baseball bat. Love blokes that do shit like that.

They probably could have done more but what is the question and hopefully an inquest answers this because I myself am stumped.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Gayfish - 20 Jan 2017 7:57 PM
One of the family members commenting on there as well. 

What are they saying?

Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro

TheSelectFew - 21 Jan 2017 9:08 AM
Gayfish - 20 Jan 2017 7:57 PM

What are they saying?

So many comments now so I cant remember the exact words but along the lines of finding his family and bringing the same pain that he has done to his but with obvious harsher language. Cant blame them but need to be careful as the Police are most likely reading the comments. 
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro

Gayfish - 20 Jan 2017 8:54 PM
Started with 229 friends, dropped to 223 now.

Down to 186 now, not going down as quick as I thought. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search