2017 NPL - Tasmania

2017 NPL - Tasmania

Author
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Launceston City have had a good last month since getting beat 8-1 by Olynpia. a draw against Devonport and 3 wins against the sides around them. They come up against the big boys for the final 3 weeks, so will be looking to steal a couple points off them, to sure up 6th spot. Bodes well for next year aswell with majority of players still early twenties and younger. 

Biggest change that I have seen with them is quick clean touches in the middle with some strong long through balls really utilising their runners on the outsides as well as young Mies up top start to find his feet and use his size one on one. It definitely helped having Brookfield playing for abit of experience around the younger boys. 

It was amusing hearing Rangers fans a couple of weeks ago trying to put City down for having won less games when now 2 weeks later they are on the same amount of wins, still 3 weeks to go I know and a big 3 weeks for City with Zebras, Olympia and South to finish off the year.  Whilst Rangers have Olympia, Lions and Zebras. Lions are also a chance of catching City with Clarence, Rangers and Devonport to round out their season.

Edited
7 Years Ago by bigpoppa
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Well done South Hobart!

Wrapping up the league with 3 rounds to go.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
bigpoppa - 29 Jul 2017 8:25 PM
Launceston City have had a good last month since getting beat 8-1 by Olynpia. a draw against Devonport and 3 wins against the sides around them. They come up against the big boys for the final 3 weeks, so will be looking to steal a couple points off them, to sure up 6th spot. Bodes well for next year aswell with majority of players still early twenties and younger. 

Biggest change that I have seen with them is quick clean touches in the middle with some strong long through balls really utilising their runners on the outsides as well as young Mies up top start to find his feet and use his size one on one. It definitely helped having Brookfield playing for abit of experience around the younger boys. 

It was amusing hearing Rangers fans a couple of weeks ago trying to put City down for having won less games when now 2 weeks later they are on the same amount of wins, still 3 weeks to go I know and a big 3 weeks for City with Zebras, Olympia and South to finish off the year.  Whilst Rangers have Olympia, Lions and Zebras. Lions are also a chance of catching City with Clarence, Rangers and Devonport to round out their season.

Good round up, BP.

City is the only  team I haven't seen this season.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

bigpoppa - 31 Jul 2017 2:38 AM
Well done South Hobart!Wrapping up the league with 3 rounds to go.

Surprising result  given where South were earlier in the season.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

TassieMad - 14 Nov 2016 7:10 PM
2017 NPL TASMANIA LINE-UP:

Clarence United 
Devonport Strikers 
Hobart Zebras 
Kingborough Lions 
Launceston City
Northern Rangers
Olympia Warriors
South Hobart 

COACHES 2017:
Clarence United - Alan Jablonski
Devonport Strikers - Chris Gallo - http://sliceofcheese.net/index.php/strikers-say-hello-to-coach-gallo/ 
Hobart Zebras - Peter Savill - http://sliceofcheese.net/index.php/savill-to-change-stripes/
Kingborough Lions - Gabriel Markaj - http://www.klufc.org.au/news/lions-appoint-gabriel-markaj-as-ps4-npl-tas-head-coach
Launceston City - Benjamin Brookfield - http://sliceofcheese.net/index.php/ben-brookfield-signs-on-as-city-coach/
Northern Rangers - Lino Sciulli - http://sliceofcheese.net/index.php/sciulli-to-take-rangers-reins/
Olympia Warriors - Ian Shaw - http://www.walterpless.com.au/2015/march/olympia-appoint-ian-shaw-as-their-senior-coach.html
South Hobart - Ken Morton 

Interesting to see this now.

*Zebras

Tommy Fotek replaces Peter Savill

* Borough 

Gabriel Markaj replaced by Mark Broadbent, the club TD, who initially declined the job.

*Olympia

Ian Shaw replaced by Kenny Weston.

IMO all coaching replacements have improved the style of football and performance.

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

@decentric

Isn't markaj at Zebras in some capacity aswell now?
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

4 on the trot for City and unbeaten in 5.

1-0 win over Zebras, aswell as Kingborough losing to Clarence, assures them of a top 6 finish and also puts them above Rangers with Rangers to play Olympia tomorrow.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

One game to go and Devonport Strikers are 3 points in front of South Hobart with a better goal average.

On the weekend  I saw South beat Launceston City 2-0. City are now 3rd on the ladder.

I also watched Kingborough defeat Clarence United  2-0.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

The state league is mooted to increase from 8 to 10 teams next year.

I think it will dilute the talent too much.
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Decentric - 21 Aug 2018 7:59 AM
The state league is mooted to increase from 8 to 10 teams next year.

I think it will dilute the talent too much.

Do you mean the NPL?

I'm not too sure about the quality of the local 'second tier' comp in Tassie atm. Do they have a Tasmanian equivalent of say an Altona Magic with lots of money or will they be more along the same of Clarence and Kingsborough? 
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Decentric - 21 Aug 2018 7:55 AM
One game to go and Devonport Strikers are 3 points in front of South Hobart with a better goal average.

On the weekend  I saw South beat Launceston City 2-0. City are now 3rd on the ladder.

I also watched Kingborough defeat Clarence United  2-0.

There are actually 2 rounds to go in the 2018 NPLTas season.

A victory in either match should see Devonport win the title given a 16 goal lead in goal difference.
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Ds98 - 21 Aug 2018 3:22 PM

Do you mean the NPL?

I'm not too sure about the quality of the local 'second tier' comp in Tassie atm. Do they have a Tasmanian equivalent of say an Altona Magic with lots of money or will they be more along the same of Clarence and Kingsborough? 

Glenorchy Knights were replaced by Clarence a few years ago after a terrible 2015 NPL season.

They have won the Southern Championship 3 years in a row and done well in FFA Cup and other competitions where they have taken on NPL sides.

I have no idea how they will go in NPL next season (if it remains in place) or how their squad payments compare to NPL clubs.

Riverside in the Northern Championship are a former State League Club from the 90's who appear to be likely to just edge out Devonport's reserves this year. If they do go up I would expect them to struggle. There are rumours that Clarence may be kicked out of the NPL due to poor performance. 

Personally I would stick to an 8 team NPL with yearly P/R playoffs of the lowest NPL Tas team and the winners of a 2 legged Northern Championship vs Southern Championship "State Final" rather than have automatic relegation. I would also be pushing for more matches in the Championship comps as the Southern comp only has 16 games in a 9 team comp.

Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Glh37 - 21 Aug 2018 10:48 PM

Glenorchy Knights were replaced by Clarence a few years ago after a terrible 2015 NPL season.

They have won the Southern Championship 3 years in a row and done well in FFA Cup and other competitions where they have taken on NPL sides.

I have no idea how they will go in NPL next season (if it remains in place) or how their squad payments compare to NPL clubs.

Riverside in the Northern Championship are a former State League Club from the 90's who appear to be likely to just edge out Devonport's reserves this year. If they do go up I would expect them to struggle. There are rumours that Clarence may be kicked out of the NPL due to poor performance. 

Personally I would stick to an 8 team NPL with yearly P/R playoffs of the lowest NPL Tas team and the winners of a 2 legged Northern Championship vs Southern Championship "State Final" rather than have automatic relegation. I would also be pushing for more matches in the Championship comps as the Southern comp only has 16 games in a 9 team comp.

Ahh cheers, yes I vaguely remember Glenorchy playing South (I could be wrong)  in the cup final maybe. Good game.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Do you mean the NPL?

Yes.

I'm using the terms NPL and state league as being the same thing.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Last week I watched a decent game between Clarence and Zebras.

Zebras won 6-3 after Clarence led 3-2 at half time.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Ds98 - 21 Aug 2018 11:26 PM
Glh37 - 21 Aug 2018 10:48 PM

Ahh cheers, yes I vaguely remember Glenorchy playing South (I could be wrong)  in the cup final maybe. Good game.

It was a good game.

It was Knights playing  Olympia.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Do they have a Tasmanian equivalent of say an Altona Magic with lots of money or will they be more along the same of Clarence and Kingsborough? 

Unless it was a better than usual performance she nI saw them a few weeks ago, I'm surprised Kingborough are so far down the table.

Clarence have three outstanding young prospects in Hatcher, Snell and Smith, but there may be a few players who aren't quite good enough for NPL.

I think the Tas NPL has improved and there is more depth.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search