Emerging Frontiers: The Developing Surfer Market [Comments]

Emerging Frontiers: The Developing Surfer Market [Comments]

Author
TracksBot
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

mozaickiwi
mozaickiwi
Under 7s
Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)

gotta wonder what the convo is like post having these yuppies come in for a few days to sample the 'surfing lifestyle'. id imagine something along the lines of 'mate, how was that guy? i havent seen a poo-stance like that since ol' mick stacey was about.'...
jussywesty
jussywesty
Under 7s
Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)

Totally agree with this article; with so many newcomers & transient surfers we have lost the education from the older legends of our local spots. I have managed and worked for surf schools and see so much bad education in their approach. Where I live in the Algarve (Portugal) each surf school can teach up to 30 students per day and sometimes you will have 6 surf schools all trying to use the same beach running around with flags trying to corridor off a section of whitewater. The message to these students is that it is ok to all surf together like this! its mayhem. The same school owners then go ballistic when x beginner surfers rent a board and venture out to the line up. I have left this system and gone out on my own. The sport I love is being raped yet again, but instead of bitching about it I decided the best way is to try educate this intermediate level, just like Linton in Byron. I coach a maximum of 4 and mostly teach just 1 to 1 private. The focus is on etiquette and the rules of the road! So if you reading this Linton when my clients are travelling to Oz I shall recommend you buddy and if you have any of your guys coming to the Algarve in Portugal sling them my website justinwestcoaching.com

To all surf instructors/coaches if you love your sport go out on your own, you don´t have to work for a factory. You will enjoy teaching again and the financial rewards for sure are better than what you would be earning working for somebody else.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search