VPN - which?

VPN - which?

Author
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Time to get with the program I suppose and based on yesterday's blocking decision by the Supreme court can anyone please recommend a VPN they use.

Want to use it mainly for streaming, getting around geoblocking and downloading.

Thanks

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/piracy/federal-court-expected-to-hand-down-decision-on-blocking-illegal-torrent-and-streaming-sites-today/news-story/c1b0349a2cc6e3fb96007ddf04742efc

Member since 2008.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Munrubenmuz - 16 Dec 2016 10:41 AM
Time to get with the program I suppose and based on yesterday's blocking decision by the Supreme court can anyone please recommend a VPN they use.

Want to use it mainly for streaming, getting around geoblocking and downloading.

Thanks

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/piracy/federal-court-expected-to-hand-down-decision-on-blocking-illegal-torrent-and-streaming-sites-today/news-story/c1b0349a2cc6e3fb96007ddf04742efc

If you're just wanting to get around the piratebay blocking stuff, I reckon there will be easier and free ways to get around it. ISPs are going to go the simplest way possible with this.

But you've mentioned some other good reasons to get one. I use expressVPN and I'm happy with it. Even allowed me to watch US Netflix and Hulu last week which is getting harder these days. Heard good things about NordVPN.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

PIA user here of more than 3 years. Highly recommended as you get SOCKS5 access as well which is handy for the T's.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
mcjules - 16 Dec 2016 11:06 AM
Munrubenmuz - 16 Dec 2016 10:41 AM

If you're just wanting to get around the piratebay blocking stuff, I reckon there will be easier and free ways to get around it. ISPs are going to go the simplest way possible with this.

But you've mentioned some other good reasons to get one. I use expressVPN and I'm happy with it. Even allowed me to watch US Netflix and Hulu last week which is getting harder these days. Heard good things about NordVPN.

May have to check expressVPN out if I can get my US netflix subscription back, shame that UnblockUS and Getflix dont work/ are inconsistent at best these days. 
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 16 Dec 2016 11:10 AM
PIA user here of more than 3 years. Highly recommended as you get SOCKS5 access as well which is handy for the T's.

-PB

Careful when using a SOCKS5 proxy, a lot of that particular traffic goes via UDP and SOCKS5 doesn't support that so they're just get sent out unencrypted. My client runs on a NAS so at the moment I just run OpenVPN on it. I have a couple of raspberryPis lying around at the moment so when I get some time I might set them up as a couple of gateways so all my traffic is getting encrypted (Aus server for Aus traffic, Everything else via OS link). Fun project :laugh:

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

My only question regarding the block is that it will be done by the service provider. So even though you change your ISP address to "trick" services, does this also trick the service provider (as you are still using them to provide you the internet, irrespective of where your ISP location is)???
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

sokorny - 16 Dec 2016 11:49 AM
My only question regarding the block is that it will be done by the service provider. So even though you change your ISP address to "trick" services, does this also trick the service provider (as you are still using them to provide you the internet, irrespective of where your ISP location is)???

Basically all your requests gets tunneled through the VPN server to the IP all they see is a connection to the VPN server's IP address with all the data encrypted.

Edited
8 Years Ago by mcjules
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

jlm8695 - 16 Dec 2016 11:38 AM
mcjules - 16 Dec 2016 11:06 AM

May have to check expressVPN out if I can get my US netflix subscription back, shame that UnblockUS and Getflix dont work/ are inconsistent at best these days. 

YMMV, I don't use the US Netflix that often. Just wanted to watch some episodes of Pacific Heat and it's not on the Aus site because it's on Foxtel. There are probably times it's down but it definitely worked for me that time.

Anyone that wants to try expressVPN PM me for a referral code. Both you and I will get a month free.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

How many times has this happened. This will just be a turncoat vote winner with big business. 

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

mcjules - 16 Dec 2016 11:39 AM
paulbagzFC - 16 Dec 2016 11:10 AM

Careful when using a SOCKS5 proxy, a lot of that particular traffic goes via UDP and SOCKS5 doesn't support that so they're just get sent out unencrypted. My client runs on a NAS so at the moment I just run OpenVPN on it. I have a couple of raspberryPis lying around at the moment so when I get some time I might set them up as a couple of gateways so all my traffic is getting encrypted (Aus server for Aus traffic, Everything else via OS link). Fun project :laugh:

Yeah but that traffic is through PIA DNS as well as the VPN tunnel itself when needed, that combined with private tracker only T's and I'm happy :)

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

TheSelectFew - 16 Dec 2016 12:11 PM
How many times has this happened. This will just be a turncoat vote winner with big business. 

Yep, pats on the back while appearing to have actually done something when in fact it will do nothing.

Kinda like the two shells in the Adler debate.

-PB

Toughlove
Toughlove
Rising Star
Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I use NORD which is mentioned above.  Signed up to stream the BBC coverage of the Rio Olympics and its pretty much hassle free.  You needed some know how first but they did an upgrade for noobs like myself and it made it heaps easier.

The upgrade/interface lists servers based on what you want to do and then they have a handy map interface you can click onto.

$8.00 USD paying month to month.  You can get it cheaper if you get a yearly subscription but I haven't got around to doing that yet.
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Who the fuck uses torrents now a days anyways? You are doing it wrong ffs. 
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

paulbagzFC - 16 Dec 2016 12:37 PM
mcjules - 16 Dec 2016 11:39 AM

Yeah but that traffic is through PIA DNS as well as the VPN tunnel itself when needed, that combined with private tracker only T's and I'm happy :)

-PB

If you're tunneling as well sure :)

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Thank you gents.  Lost me a bit on the tunneling / SOCKS stuff but I have enough to have a look into it a bit more.

Member since 2008.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

WSF - 16 Dec 2016 1:46 PM

Not many other sources do REDUX BluRays sadly.

-PB

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 16 Dec 2016 6:27 PM

Not many other sources do REDUX BluRays sadly.

-PB

True, not sure that many go as hardcore as that though. Not worth the bandwidth imo, with 4k BluRay out now I'd rather just buy them than waste on full Blu Ray rips. I normally get my 1080p BluRays at least around 10gb and 720p at least at 4gb, I suppose it all depends on how much capacity you in storage though.  
WSF
WSF
Pro

I remember when I used to get Yify rips LOL oh man that quality is bad. 
Edited
8 Years Ago by WSF
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

I literally have no idea what is going on in this thread.  
Gazzza
Gazzza
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Private trackers bro. 

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Gazzza - 16 Dec 2016 11:46 PM

Private trackers bro. 

This haha.

EDIT: That and Usenet links go dead very quickly.

-PB

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

WSF - 16 Dec 2016 6:55 PM
paulbagzFC - 16 Dec 2016 6:27 PM

True, not sure that many go as hardcore as that though. Not worth the bandwidth imo, with 4k BluRay out now I'd rather just buy them than waste on full Blu Ray rips. I normally get my 1080p BluRays at least around 10gb and 720p at least at 4gb, I suppose it all depends on how much capacity you in storage though.  

Which is what I usually chase, 1080p with 10+mbps rates along with DTS-HD 1.5mbps or more.

I have 100/40 NBN with unlimited and a server with 16TB of storage haha.

-PB

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 17 Dec 2016 9:51 AM
WSF - 16 Dec 2016 6:55 PM

Which is what I usually chase, 1080p with 10+mbps rates along with DTS-HD 1.5mbps or more.

I have 100/40 NBN with unlimited and a server with 16TB of storage haha.

-PB

God damn! :w00t:

Torens
Torens
Under 7s
Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)

MrBrisbane - 17 Dec 2016 5:43 PM
paulbagzFC - 17 Dec 2016 9:51 AM

God damn! :w00t:

NordVPN and FineVPN are my favourites
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

I use Nord. Seems Kayo has blocked it. Weirdly I get a content can't be played error for 9Now, SBS on demand and 10play on my laptop yet they all work on phone. Have done all the steps like whitelisting and turning off blockers but nothing really seems to fix it and there's no discussion online about it. ABC and 7 work fine.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search