AFL trumped by soccer in football code pay stakes

Author
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Not really news as even some female surfers earn more than the highest earning afl players, but interesting to see what some of our players are on. Some of it is crazy money. 

SOCCER has thundered past Australian Rules as the nation’s most lucrative football code.

A Herald Sun investigation has revealed 23 Australian soccer players based in the A-league or overseas earn more than the AFL’s highest-paid stars Lance Franklin, Gary Ablett and Tom Boyd.

It comes as AFL players are locked in a bitter pay dispute with league chiefs over a ­demand for a fixed percentage of the game’s rising revenues.

The AFL’s $1 million men are Franklin, Ablett, Boyd, Nic Naitanui and Scott Pendlebury.

Superstars Patrick ­Dangerfield ($800,000), Nat Fyfe ($900,000), Joel Selwood ($850,000) and Alex Rance ($800,000) all fell short of the $1 million mark in 2016.

But Australian soccer’s top dogs earns five times more cash — China-based defenders Trent Sainsbury, 24, and Matthew Spiranovic, 28, both earn more than $5 million a year.

Sydney superstar is earning $1 million-plus a year, but that is nothing compared to what some Australian soccer players are collecting. Picture: David Caird

Melbourne City’s Tim ­Cahill will collect $4.7 million in his debut A-League season, former City star Aaron Mooy pockets $3.5 million a year on loan to Huddersfield Town in the English second tier from Manchester City.

Other big round-ball ­earn­ers were Socceroos ­captain Mile Jedinak ($3.2 million, Aston Villa), Matthew Spiranovic ($2.5 million, ­Hangzhou Greentown) and Mat Ryan ($2.4 million, Valencia).

Former Manchester United and Chelsea star Mark Bosnich, who was earning almost $8 million a year in his prime, said soccer would always dominate.

“No disrespect to AFL, but they’re catering to a small domestic market, football is part of a world market,” he said.

“But AFL players should be getting a bigger slice of the pie. They get less than their soccer counterparts and there needs to be a realisation that people come to watch the players and not the guys upstairs.”

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan made $1.7 million in 2015, while A-League boss David Gallop was on $1.4m.

While the AFL has nine players on $800,000 to $950,000, another 12 to 15 Australian soccer players earn between $800,000 and $1.1 million.

The AFL has 850 players at an average of $300,000.

More than 160 Australian players are now playing in Europe and Asia, while there are 260 on A-League lists.

The A-League average wage is $180,000, a $145,000 rise from the last season of the NSL 12 years ago.

The advent of the A-League, the emergence of the lucrative Chinese market and the much-improved Socceroos pay conditions — players average $100,000 a year representing Australia and as much as $200,000 in a World Cup year — has seen soccer wages surge past AFL.

A-League stars will also strike an improved pay deal, with the FFA renegotiating the $40m-a-year TV contract, which expires in May.

The most common pay band for AFL stars is $100,000 to $200,000, which included 188 players in 2015, while 153 earned between $200,000 to $300,000.

Nobody earned more than $1m a year when the contract was averaged out.

The most recent AFL figures showed two players earned $1.2m in 2015, with some contracts being heavily back-ended or front-ended.

TOP AFL EARNERS 2016

Lance Franklin $1 million+

Tom Boyd $1 million+

Gary Ablett $1 million

Nic Naitanui $1 million

Scott Pendlebury $1 million

Jeremy Cameron $950,000

Nat Fyfe $900,000

Joel Selwood $850,000

Kurt Tippett $850,000

Patrick Dangerfield $800,000

Alex Rance $800,000

Dayne Beams $800,000

Jobe Watson $800,000

Travis Cloke $800,000

TOP AUSSIE SOCCER EARNERS 2016

1. Trent Sainsbury — Jiangsu (China) $5.2m

2. Matthew Spiranovic — Huangzhou (China) $5m

3. Tim Cahill — Melbourne City (Australia) $4.6m

4. Aaron Mooy — Huddersfield Town, loan (England) $3.5m

5. Mile Jedinak — Aston Villa (England) $3.2m

6. Mat Ryan — Valencia (Spain) $2.4m

7. Mitch Langerak — Stuttgart (Germany) $2.3m

8. Robbie Kruse — Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) $2.2m

9. Mark Milligan — Baniyas (UAE) $2.1m

10. Tom Rogic — Celtic (Scotland) $2m

11. Ryan McGowan — Henan Jianye (China) $2m

12. Mathew Leckie — Ingolstadt (Germany) $2m

13. Nathan Burns — FC Tokyo (Japan) $2m

14. Ersan Gulum — Hebei China Fortune (China) $1.9m

15. Apostolos Giannou — Guangzhou R&F (China) $1.9m

16. Massimo Luongo — QPR (England) $1.7m

17. Brad Smith — Bournemouth (England) $1.6m

18. Bailey Wright — Preston North End (England) $1.4m

19. Dario Vidosic — Liaoning Huongyun (China) $1.3m

20. Adam Federici — Bournemouth (England) $1.25m

21. Jason Davidson — Groningen, loan (Netherlands) $1.25m

22. Curtis Good — Newcastle United (England) $1.25m

23. Michael Thwaite — Liaoning Whowin (China) $1.25m

24. Aziz Behich — Bursaspor (Turkey) $1.2m

25. Nikolai Topor-Stanley — Hatta Club (UAE) $1.2m

* Salaries are based on official AFL and A-League figures and industry estimates

^ Some deals include accommodation/relocation and bonuses

# Includes average $100,000 Socceroos wages

chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Its hard to fathom how some of them can command such large salaries. Curtis Good has hardly played in the four years since he left yet gets paid more than just about anyone in the A-league, including most marquees.
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

double post
Edited
8 Years Ago by chillbilly
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class

Cant believe how much players like Vidosic & NTS are on.
Good luck to them if they can get it though!
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

Hard to believe Leckie is so far down the list but the move to Asia has paid off for our defenders. Rogic will surge to the top on his next deal.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

chillbilly - 19 Dec 2016 9:48 AM
Its hard to fathom how some of them can command such large salaries. Curtis Good has hardly played in the four years since he left yet gets paid more than just about anyone in the A-league, including most marquees.

Someone like Good will just be a part of the wider picture that is Premier League salaries in general - at $1.2 million/year he'd definitely be at the low end of the spectrum at a club like Newcastle. It's almost chump change to those sort of clubs.

Not to be superficial, but I don't see why the FFA and football in this country don't push the salary factor a bit more tbh - even a few years in China would sit up a player for life as opposed to what an elite player can earn over a career in the AFL.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Crusader - 19 Dec 2016 10:24 AM
Hard to believe Leckie is so far down the list 

I find it hard to believe he gets 2 million to leave the ball behind or blaze over the bar.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Davidson, Behich and NTS getting paid more than the highest earning AFL player lol
primtech
primtech
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)

Goes to show how much the fringe sports like League and Aussie Rules are up against it. The gulf will only get far bigger with China especially going hard with their $.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

The list also shows how hard it is to keep our best in Australia.
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

Why would we want to keep our best in Australia? Every player that goes overseas opens up another spot for a player to sign a professional contract.

Lol at NTS earning so much more than any VFL player but even average defenders like him and Leijer are worth more than them. It shows the value of the +1 rule for Australian defenders. South American and European attackers fill the 3 visa spots and that makes an Australian defender attractive for the Asian spot. SFC will probably lose either Ryall or Jurman to China.
tsf
tsf
Legend

Wow. The VFL fans are really throwing their toys out the pram at this one:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-trumped-by-soccer-in-football-code-pay-stakes/news-story/ba70c192378c425c1b2a412d3af6cbf9

Many of them find it hard to fathom that the pinnacle of football for Aus players is not the local competition. 
Edited
8 Years Ago by tsf
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

tsf - 19 Dec 2016 11:21 AM

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-trumped-by-soccer-in-football-code-pay-stakes/news-story/ba70c192378c425c1b2a412d3af6cbf9

Many of them find it hard to fathom that the pinnacle of football for Aus players is not the local competition. 

Paywall :(

Perhaps post a selection of some of the best ones? lol

tsf
tsf
Legend

walnuts - 19 Dec 2016 11:26 AM

Paywall :(

Perhaps post a selection of some of the best ones? lol

If you put link or headline into google, then click on article once it comes up in search results you usually get around it
agga78
agga78
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

I await the anti football article which will come in the next week or puff piece on how good afl is in the Herald Sun. 
Swarth
Swarth
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 19 Dec 2016 10:37 AM
Davidson, Behich and NTS getting paid more than the highest earning AFL player lol

lol that is amusing as hell

MichaelB
MichaelB
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Interesting reading but perception is everything. Cannot wait for the day that the Aus media hypes the shit out of the A-league the way it does the other codes.
BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

bonafide One Nation voters if they're fair dinkum in their sentiments; shit banter if not.

But it's obv they're afraid. They needn't be - when Collingwood's future HAL team is playing in the Club World Cup against Real Madrid, they'll be wondering WTF they were ever resistant to...

redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

primtech - 19 Dec 2016 10:47 AM
Goes to show how much the fringe sports like League and Aussie Rules are up against it. The gulf will only get far bigger with China especially going hard with their $.

Sadly they're so far from reality that blokes like Koch think that a game of AFL in a Chinese city will woo those millions of people over because Aussie-rules is the greatest game in the world.

Also to add to their lack of reality they're saying stupid things about Port Adelaide even though reality shows that Adelaide United have played games for ACL points against Chinese teams and they've also had Chinese sponsors while Kochie was still dreaming about a game of AFL with his team being represented in China.
Edited
8 Years Ago by redcup
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Nice to know NTS and Dario is on such good coin...
tsf
tsf
Legend

redcup - 19 Dec 2016 12:10 PM
primtech - 19 Dec 2016 10:47 AM

Also to add to their lack of reality they're saying stupid things about Port Adelaide even though reality shows that Adelaide United have played games for ACL points and they've also had Chinese sponsors while Kochie was still dreaming about a game of AFL with his team being represented in China.

A few ACL games viewing audiences involving Aus sides have made AFL finals ratings look laughable. 
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I'd say given the build of AFL players they should be more worried about the money that Aussie basketball players get.

Andrew Bogut $15M
Matthew Delladova $12.6M
Aron Baynes $8.5M
Ben Simmons $7.7M
Dante Exum $5.2M
Patty Mills $4.25M
Thon Maker $3.4M
Joe Ingles $2.8M

tsf
tsf
Legend

sokorny - 19 Dec 2016 12:16 PM
I'd say given the build of AFL players they should be more worried about the money that Aussie basketball players get.

Andrew Bogut $15M
Matthew Delladova $12.6M
Aron Baynes $8.5M
Ben Simmons $7.7M
Dante Exum $5.2M
Patty Mills $4.25M
Thon Maker $3.4M
Joe Ingles $2.8M

That's impressive.

Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️

That is some beautiful bogan butthurt. I wonder how many of them are multis for Mr VFL?
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class

walnuts - 19 Dec 2016 10:24 AM
chillbilly - 19 Dec 2016 9:48 AM

Someone like Good will just be a part of the wider picture that is Premier League salaries in general - at $1.2 million/year he'd definitely be at the low end of the spectrum at a club like Newcastle. It's almost chump change to those sort of clubs.

Not to be superficial, but I don't see why the FFA and football in this country don't push the salary factor a bit more tbh - even a few years in China would sit up a player for life as opposed to what an elite player can earn over a career in the AFL.

I know but it still doesn't make it any easier for me to imagine the amount of money being thrown around relative to my perspective. I think what most of the young A-league players is a lot and that gets blown out of the water by many leagues around the world.
Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

I love it when Victorians, Western Australians and South Australians discover that AFL isn't the centre of the universe, and nobody outside their insular, parochial states gives a shit. It really is quite beautiful.

pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
This gap will only get bigger with the A-League's new TV deal.
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

tsf - 19 Dec 2016 12:19 PM
sokorny - 19 Dec 2016 12:16 PM

That's impressive.

Worth noting Thon Maker and Ben Simmons are in their first year of the NBA
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

I still can't get my head around that the AFL has a $400m per season TV deal yet their players are only given a small percentage of that. Where does all the money go?
JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

The more these families that have kids in soccer realise that a decent football career can set their child up for life the better. A lot of the bogan families push their kids into AFL/NRL looking for money, a lot less risk in football giving the amount of places around the world that can provide a good salary. Of course the sport should still be all about fun, I'm only talking about a small group of parents.

I remember the Sydney Morning Herald melting down that Wilkshire was on 5 million a season in Russia at 13% tax. I think I read somewhere he is on around 750k in the Russian Second Division atm lol.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search