The BBL06 Thread

The BBL06 Thread

Author
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Post all your BBL06 stuff in here. 

Two questions for everyone - 

1. Who's your team? 
2. Who do you think will win it this year? 

Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

To answer my own questions - I'm on the Sixers, but I' not sure about our batting depth. I think the Stars and Hurricanes look good this year. 

Interesting start to the season so far. Spotless stadium looks a good pitch for spin bowling, so it's a bit surprising that the Thunder have a team full of good fast bowlers and not much else. I don't know how they'll go at home. The Sixers look like they'll be a good team on flat or turning decks with Botha and O'Keefe. I was a bit surprised they didn't play Jordan Silk though - he's a great fielder and he has won many games for us with the bat. 

Brendon McCulllum's captaincy last night for the Brisbane heat was outstanding. They've never been great with the ball but he marshalled the bowlers so well in that last half hour. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I feel so disillusioned with 20/20 that I'm a TCA Member and generally don't watch games a few minutes from my residence.

However, I know 99% of the population now prefer 20/20. I've also had very persuasive arguments put forward that I'm a dinosaur, with a few other geriatrics, trying to hold on to the past that has disappeared in cricket!

If I support a BBL team, it  is the Hobart Hurricanes. 

The big hitting is great in 20/20, but I hate the defensive fields and the horrible unorthodox shots. To be a bowler must be awful in 20/20.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Decentric
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

By default I go for Brisbane although it has the same problem as the a league for me in that I don't see the brisbane team as a genuinely QLD outfit

I watched last night and didn't care who won. I often don't care if the roar win very much either but mostly enjoy the quality of the play and keep an eye out for any youth

Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 22 Dec 2016 9:09 AM
I feel so disillusioned with 20/20 that I'm a TCA Member and generally don't watch games a few minutes from my residence.

However, I know 99% of the population now prefer 20/20. I've also had very persuasive arguments put forward that I'm a dinosaur, with a few other geriatrics, trying to hold on to the past that has disappeared in cricket!

If I support a BBL team, it  is the Hobart Hurricanes. 

The big hitting is great in 20/20, but I hate the defensive fields and the horrible unorthodox shots. To be a bowler must be awful in 20/20.

I used to think that way as well but I changed my view after watching a couple of years of big bash. In the early years a lot of the format was mindless slogging, but captains and bowlers have adapted well since then and the contest can be much more engaging than that.

The thing I've realised is that most of the time when a bowler is getting utterly smashed it's because they are bowling badly - they are just putting it on an easy line and length, bowling half volleys and/or wide. Starc bowls so well in T20 because he has that fantastic yorker. I also worried that there was nothing a captain could really do to cut down runs and take wickets, but as McCullum showed last night, you can if you have bowlers good enough to execute the plan.  

As a spin bowler I was worried that the big hitting format would cause my art to die out, or that spinners would just bowl flat and fast to try and combat the slog. However the best T20 bowlers in the world are often spin bowlers who bowl with variation (like Narine, Vettori, even Lyon) -they know the mindset of the batsman will always be aggressive so they are in with a chance of wickets. 

I remember that apparently Don Bradman once said he admired baseball and said "cricket could learn a lot from it" because the game was over in four hours. Perhaps he wouldn't have minded such a short format. 

It's still not my favourite format, mind you. Test cricket is still the king. 
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I support Mitchell Johnson first and the Heat second. 
Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

I hate 20/20, it is a bastardisation of true cricket for money. It is all about getting more money, it has nothing to with better cricket. BAN 20/20 and save real cricket.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Good strategy tonight starting with duel spinners
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

MJ no words. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search