Do the early 21st-century Americanised name & crests bother you?

Do the early 21st-century Americanised name & crests bother you?

Author
chatty_chancellor
Fan
Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have always been bothered by some of the A-League crests and team names.
In my opinion:
Brisbane Roar: Name ridiculous, new crest brilliant,
Adelaide United: Name good, crest average
Perth Glory: Name ridiculous, crest ridiculous
Sydney FC: Name good, crest good/average
Newcastle Jets: Name average, crest good
Wellington Phoenix: Name good, crest brilliant
Western Sydney Wanderers: Name good/brilliant, crest brilliant
Melbourne Victory: Name ridiculous (but becoming alright over time), crest average
Central Coast Mariners: Name good, crest average,
Melbourne City: Name brilliant, crest brilliant.

The older-style crests and the simple-yet effective names are the perfect ones to me. Although perhaps I'm just guilty of not embracing new styles, and basking in the glory of the European styles.
But A-League names and crests, although not seeming like much of a big deal, could have a negative impact on a club. Especially if they're represented with a "soccer" ball in the middle, American-like style and childish design.
And I know I'd be embarrassed telling my friends overseas I support a club called Glory or (sigh) Roar.
So what do you think, am I making a big deal out of nothing or is it a plausible issue that clubs may need to look at in the future?
newton_circus
newton_circus
Amateur
Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)

chatty_chancellor - 21 Jan 2017 9:54 PM
I have always been bothered by some of the A-League crests and team names.In my opinion:Brisbane Roar: Name ridiculous, new crest brilliant,Adelaide United: Name good, crest averagePerth Glory: Name ridiculous, crest ridiculousSydney FC: Name good, crest good/averageNewcastle Jets: Name average, crest goodWellington Phoenix: Name good, crest brilliantWestern Sydney Wanderers: Name good/brilliant, crest brilliantMelbourne Victory: Name ridiculous (but becoming alright over time), crest averageCentral Coast Mariners: Name good, crest average,Melbourne City: Name brilliant, crest brilliant.The older-style crests and the simple-yet effective names are the perfect ones to me. Although perhaps I'm just guilty of not embracing new styles, and basking in the glory of the European styles. But A-League names and crests, although not seeming like much of a big deal, could have a negative impact on a club. Especially if they're represented with a "soccer" ball in the middle, American-like style and childish design.And I know I'd be embarrassed telling my friends overseas I support a club called Glory or (sigh) Roar.So what do you think, am I making a big deal out of nothing or is it a plausible issue that clubs may need to look at in the future?

agree

Gazzza
Gazzza
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Crests can always change down the line, changing the name can happen as well etc like Melbourne Heart to City. 

Not sure why you think Mariners is good though, shouldn't that be in the ridiculous category? Phoenix and Jets as well.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Gazzza
#Blessed
#Blessed
Super Fan
Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)

yes.

JoyfulPenguin
JoyfulPenguin
Rising Star
Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Absolutely not at all. I hate Melbourne City's as well. The club isn't 100 years old and we shouldn't we try and act like it is. Just making something look or sound old doesn't mean it's a good design. There are plenty of terrible old designs and there are plenty of terrible new ones. We shouldn't pretend we are something we aren't, while I agree that Glory and Roar are a bit cringe from the same pot we got Central Coast Mariners. Like everything it is hit and miss and to be honest I doesn't really matter. 
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Tacky as hell, History and logo is everything in a club. when players come and go like the wind your name colours and badge make a club what it is 
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

In terms of names, logos and brand plasticness (i.e. Melbourne City), we probably fair better than most. A normal name, an okay logo and not relying on an overseas subsidiary for identity. 

Glory and Victory are probably the shittest names but they both probably have enough actual identity that it works. Roar is pretty bad too

ARNIE= LEGEND

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

You could always change the corny names to Fc or City etc and just use them as the nick names for the club. Over time you can gradually transition it out completely. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by WSF
JoyfulPenguin
JoyfulPenguin
Rising Star
Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)

lukerobinho - 21 Jan 2017 11:12 PM
Tacky as hell, History and logo is everything in a club. when players come and go like the wind your name colours and badge make a club what it is 

So shouldn't it be representing how old the club is and not a flag that no one ever uses that celebrates whaling of all things? I don't like the club but at least Victory's logo and name connect to the region in a meaningful way. We need to represent who we are now and when the clubs were founded not some bull about a history we literally don't have.
Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

Jets for Newcastle makes sense. With RAAF Williamstown located in Newcastle, they get all those RAAF fighter Jets flying over the city quite low at times. And anyway they are called Newcastle United Jets. So the name reflects both the original club it was spawned from as well as a symbol of the city.

Perth's 'Glory' name has a lot of tradition behind it now. They came into the NSL with that name and made it their own. It is an important recognisable football if not sporting brand in Australia nowadays. So why it might have been a bit ridiculous in the first place it has morphed into something very unique and instantly recognisable.

Same logic can be applied for the Victory as for the Glory in my opinion.

Crests will always change with the times. There seemed to be an extensive use of the one firm for crests back in the mid 00's in football as a number of A-League and W-League clubs use a similar base shape ( e,g, Sydney FC, Adelaide United, Canberra United ). Sydney are already in the process of changing theirs and I would not be surprised to see Adelaide contemplate doing the same in a few years time.

If you look at the MLS in America, you can also see the progression when it comes to changing tastes in crests and club names.

The Dallas Burn became FC Dallas
Kansas City Wizards became Sporting Kansas City

And the new clubs all have more 'tradition' names:

New York City FC
Orlando City SC
Atlanta United FC
Minnesota United FC
Los Angeles FC

There are however a number that still have the same naming as they originally had but like the Glory or Victory they have made their names their own and they now mean something in the football landscape in the US ( e.g. Chicago Fire, Colorado Rapids, New England Revolution ).

But this is what happens when football supporters take control and get engaged, they can influence change, and in American you have seen them influence the naming and image of their clubs to better suite what they want compared to the generic franchising that the MLS started with.

Canberra United - Member
KSV Hessen Kassel - Supporter
Lewes FC - Owner

Anavar
Anavar
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I'm just hoping the new SFC crest isn't shit, heard its going to be similar with just better fonts and features etc

SYD04

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Doesn't bother me, there are plenty of foreign non english spelling clubs that through translation sound just as lame as some of ours... dynamo moscow is a bad translation of moscow strength or thereabout, coming from a russian make who said there are alot like that across russia... these things take time...

if any of the clubs are around 3o years down the track no one would care. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Melbourne = Victoria = Victory. The name is fine.
BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Answer to the question in the topic = Do they bother me? I can't really say. They are definitely cringe worthy.

I do like the new Brisbane logo (way better then the original) as the original logo was utter crap. As for Brisbane changing our name... All I would do is drop the "Roar" from the name, and just go with "Brisbane". Why must there be some offical gimmicky name?

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

Savic
Savic
Rising Star
Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)

Can I add the constant adding of the 'the' preceding the gimmicky name ie . the roar, the victory, the glory etc. Drives me bonkers and makes the original stupid name even worse. I've even heard people say 'the city' plenty of times. Just ridiculous.
Jong Gabe
Jong Gabe
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

The new Roar logo is ugly. I much prefer the "American" version.

E

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

I didn't like "Roar" when it first came up but after 12 seasons it is what it is and making a change to something more traditional would be stupid - United, City, Atheletic would just be "Meh" and undo all the established brand work. Stupid names can and do work just look at Wednesday, Forest, Hotspur, Hearts - no one would suggest changing them so I can see how Roar, Victory, Glory will be readily accepted in a few short years.
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

No.  They could call themselves Shirley for all I care.  First world football problems meh.

maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Agree with the OP on the Roar name. I've gotten used to it, but It was ridiculous when we started and it's ridiculous now. I suppose it could be changed to Brisbane City, but the team doesn't just represent the City so that's out. It could just be Brisbane Football Club with 'The Roar' as a nickname.

If another team from Brisbane comes in, the current name might be handy tho. If the only name to call the Roar by is 'Brisbane' people wouldn't know if you were talking about them or the Strikers.
Edited
7 Years Ago by maxxie
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

paladisious - 22 Jan 2017 12:01 AM
Melbourne = Victoria = Victory. The name is fine.

makes for a good afl club

RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

inala brah - 22 Jan 2017 11:11 AM

I thought they already were?

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

scubaroo - 21 Jan 2017 11:48 PM
Doesn't bother me, there are plenty of foreign non english spelling clubs that through translation sound just as lame as some of ours... dynamo moscow is a bad translation of moscow strength or thereabout, coming from a russian make who said there are alot like that across russia... these things take time...

if any of the clubs are around 3o years down the track no one would care. 

Same here. Imagine calling a club after a day ie Shefield Wednesday lol. Lot's of kulcha here!

In a resort somewhere

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

9GABmeme420 - 22 Jan 2017 6:03 AM
The new Roar logo is ugly. I much prefer the "American" version.

Rubbish. Roars logo is a vast improvement of their old one. 

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

paulc - 22 Jan 2017 11:21 AM
scubaroo - 21 Jan 2017 11:48 PM

Same here. Imagine calling a club after a day ie Shefield Wednesday lol. Lot's of kulcha here!

Sh you're embarrassing yourself again. Rawr. 

Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 22 Jan 2017 12:15 PM
9GABmeme420 - 22 Jan 2017 6:03 AM

Rubbish. Roars logo is a vast improvement of their old one. 

Yep, last one was hideous.

StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Meh, used to them all now, though always though Melbourne Victory was a wank 
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I don't care what they are called so long as it clearly distinguishes each club from another one. I'd prefer that any new team takes something into its name that is of historical or cultural significance to the area into its name rather than what a lot of people seem to prefer with the Uniteds, Athletics, etc.

Some people don't like the Sydney FC logo because it isn't a standard shield shape. I like it because you don't even have to be able to see the crappy soccer ball or opera house, or even be able to read the Sydney FC part below to recognise the silhouette as the Sydney FC logo. Apart from some random club in Ghana and some other African countries that have copied it, no-one else has a logo like it. I don't want a logo that looks like every other club in the worlds or one based on some medieval European heraldry.

moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

SWandP - 22 Jan 2017 8:43 AM
No.  They could call themselves Shirley for all I care.  First world football problems meh.

Same.

There are all kinds of strange club names:
Santa Claus FC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Santa_Claus

Joe Public FC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Public_F.C.

lolitsbigmic
lolitsbigmic
World Class
World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)

Most a league other than Roar and victory are passable. Glory is cheesy but seems to be accepted because it is from the NSL which indicates in time it doesn't matter.

Roar is still a terrible. I hate even though being a Brisbane fan. Glad they fix the logo. But I think the nick name is going to stick. Can't be calling oranje or lions.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

/
inala brah - 22 Jan 2017 11:11 AM

Jelly.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search