1st Test: India v Australia in Pune

1st Test: India v Australia in Pune

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I am unequivocal when I say cricket is better to watch on Indian spinning wickets than bouncy, pace friendly wickets in Oz. There is just so much action with spinners bowling so many overs when spin operates from each end.

Renshaw batted superbly. What a surprise!

Starc's innings was very entertaining.

Hanscomb looked good against potent spin on a spinning wicket.

Shaun Marsh failed, yet again, and was selected instead of Kawaja because he is supposed to be better on spinning wickets. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

The first session of day two was the best by Oz in the field on the Subcontinent for some time.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Australia played very well on day way and can hit or block (depending on the batsmens style) their way to a commanding lead.

So glad to see o'keefe do well

his first class record is as strong as shane warnes!

I wish maxwell khawaja and neville got the nod ahead of marsh marsh and wade

The marsh brothers have to have been selected on nepotism

By the way Decentric I love our bouncy wickets. The thing that makes cricket such a great sport is its variety!

Swing in england/NZ. Pace in WI/Aus/SA, Turn in the sub continent. It makes the entire season exciting despite their being only a few strong teams in the world

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 24 Feb 2017 7:48 PM
Australia played very well on day way and can hit or block (depending on the batsmens style) their way to a commanding lead.

So glad to see o'keefe do well

I had to go out last night, but when I first saw O'Keefe in his first spell yesterday, he looked innocuous compared to the other three Oz front line bowlers.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I've been really surprised with how well Renshaw and Hanscomb batted in Indian conditions in the first digs.

Inevitably they will lose form eventually, but if they keep  batting like they have to date, it has really strengthened the team.

Starc/Hazlewood are starting to shape as a formidable pace attack in any conditions.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Decentric - 25 Feb 2017 9:16 AM
grazorblade - 24 Feb 2017 7:48 PM

I had to go out last night, but when I first saw O'Keefe in his first spell yesterday, he looked innocuous compared to the other three Oz front line bowlers.

looks are a lot more decieving than stats

he has had an incredible 1st class with bat and ball and is a once in generation find but has been kept out of the team because his bowling didn't look like much

Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

O'Keefe is quite a different bowler to Lyon. He bowls quicker and a bit flatter and just tries to bowl six deliveries in the same spot. He's one of those bowlers who just tries to be very economical until the batsman makes an error, or he rips one into the pads. He gets a lot of batsman out LBW from around the wicket in first class cricket. Lyon bowls slower and tries to flight it a lot more, which is the right thing to do in Australian conditions where there's not much turn. 

I had a feeling that O'Keefe would do well in India because the pitches tend to suit spinners who fire it in quicker and get variation off the pitch. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take more wickets than Lyon. He should get lots of bat-pad catches, LBWs and slips catches. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

glad to see o'keefe finally get rewarded.
First class average of 23 with the ball and about 30 with the bat - he could have been one of the best players in the last 30 years.

As it stands we will probably get an exciting few years with him

Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

What a win. I don't think India expected that at all - being rolled twice by the second spinner!

O'Keefe and Smith deserve full credit for that. Renshaw also made a big contribution.

Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

All of the above. Amazing win. The next few matches will be very interesting now that India have been shocked so strongly.
Adelphi
Adelphi
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

O'Keefe was excellent with the ball and Smith, Renshaw and Starc were great with the bat. Anyone who can make runs on that pitch is a talented batsman indeed.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Again due to  very busy social life I had  go out last night. I saw the game until 5pm. I cannot believe O'Keefe took so many wickets? Against Pakistan in the UAE he looked totally innocuous. He barely spins the ball.

Grazor, Quickflick, Lastbroadcast, any other cricketers, any theories on why he has been so successful in this Test?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I know Grazor disagrees with me, but does anyone else think that Test cricket is much better to watch on these spin friendly wickets?

I feel there is so much more action in India with so much spin and so little time taken between deliveries. Quality fast bowlers like Hazlewood, Starc, Yadav and Sharma still shine as they are high quality.

In Oz in Test and Shield I think we spend far too much time watching too many mediocre pace bowlers walking back to their markers and bowling mediocre deliveries that gain too many rewards. There is little encouragement for spinners on most wickets in Oz. Current Shield spin bowlers have told me this.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Decentric - 26 Feb 2017 7:58 AM
Again due to  very busy social life I had  go out last night. I saw the game until 5pm. I cannot believe O'Keefe took so many wickets? Against Pakistan in the UAE he looked totally innocuous. He barely spins the ball.

Grazor, Quickflick, Lastbroadcast, any other cricketers, any theories on why he has been so successful in this Test?

he is very accurate and you only have to turn the ball a half batwidth to beat the bat. He has enough deception to deceive 2.

dont forget ambrose and mcgrath barely moved the ball and were two of the most succesfull fast bowlers ever

He should be playing his 50th test by now

Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

The very best test cricket is played on pitches that give bowlers a chance of taking wickets but good batsman can get big runs if they work hard. The further away from this either way lowers the quality of test cricket. However if the pitch is too flat and heavily favouring the batsmen then you tend to get high scoring draws, but if it favours the bowlers then it results in low scoring results that can be exciting because there is always wickets falling and it seems like a good partnership or a few quick wickets could win the test match for the side which is behind.

Ideally a pitch would offer something for fast bowlers early in the test match and help the spinners latter in the test match so that it rewards a team with a good balanced attack but that is hard to achieve in all weather conditions.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Gruen - 26 Feb 2017 10:51 AM
The very best test cricket is played on pitches that give bowlers a chance of taking wickets but good batsman can get big runs if they work hard. The further away from this either way lowers the quality of test cricket. However if the pitch is too flat and heavily favouring the batsmen then you tend to get high scoring draws, but if it favours the bowlers then it results in low scoring results that can be exciting because there is always wickets falling and it seems like a good partnership or a few quick wickets could win the test match for the side which is behind.

Ideally a pitch would offer something for fast bowlers early in the test match and help the spinners latter in the test match so that it rewards a team with a good balanced attack but that is hard to achieve in all weather conditions.

I think Australia's philosophy is the best pitch gives you a result on the 5th day

We actually had zero draws this summer despite supposedly batsmen friendly conditions

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

One thing that has been discussed is the contrast in o'keefes length compared to the other spinners.
O'keefe was apparently a touch fuller
I always thought the ideal length was one where the ball turns about a bat width, or even half a batwidth from the point of impact on the pitch to where the batsmen meets the delivery. (A good player of spin will of course use their feet to make it harder to control the point where the ball meets the bat)

Too much spin is actually a bad thing (unless its a variation delivery)

Its generally harder to get it to spin across a batsmen (e.g. a leggie pitching it on leg stump and having it turn toward off) so you might consider bowling a tad shorter there to achieve the same rule of thumb as you would outside off.

In spin friendly conditions I would practically have to bowl half volleys to get the right amount of turn otherwise you just keep beating the bat, everyone high fives you until you bowl your usual 1-2 bad deliveries an over since you are a young player

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search