Third test thread

Third test thread

Author
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Only place in india (apart from Pune) where Australia has a positive win loss record

If we win this pressure is very much on india
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
grazorblade - 4 Mar 2017 9:10 AM
Only place in india (apart from Pune) where Australia has a positive win loss record

If we win this pressure is very much on india

I'm taking this thread as the Third Test against India thread coming up.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Starc is injured.

The quandary  in the paper is whether to play Bird or Cummins.

Thoughts?
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

lol did I call this the second test thread

I wonder what sort of pitch we will get

With starc gone we may be eager to strengthen the bowling but batting has to be first priority

Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Two forced changes from the losing 2nd test team, the team is going to be Mitch less unless Swepson is picked. I would replace them with Khawaja and Bird. Cummins has only played one shield match and even though it was very successful it is just not enough to prove he can get through a test match work load. 

I expect Maxwell and Cummins to play and if Maxwell plays I will be supporting India.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

preferences for mitch marsh's replacement

1. Khawaja or maxwell
28. stoinis
59. Agar

watch them select Agar and see him get man of the match :D

Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

As Maxwell has been selected I hope India crush us. Any team that feels that it should select a shit player like Maxwell don't get my support.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Gruen - 16 Mar 2017 5:36 PM
As Maxwell has been selected I hope India crush us. Any team that feels that it should select a shit player like Maxwell don't get my support.

he has a first class average of 40 and can giver the bowlers a rest...

Gruen
Gruen
Pro

grazorblade - 16 Mar 2017 6:28 PM
Gruen - 16 Mar 2017 5:36 PM

he has a first class average of 40 and can giver the bowlers a rest...

He is a slogger, not a test match batsman. He does not have the temperament to succeed.
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

WRONG
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Gruen - 16 Mar 2017 8:52 PM
WRONG

haha I've been a fan for a long time

you don't average 40 in first class being ordinary

Gruen
Gruen
Pro

grazorblade - 16 Mar 2017 9:00 PM
Gruen - 16 Mar 2017 8:52 PM

haha I've been a fan for a long time

you don't average 40 in first class being ordinary

He still had done nothing recently to deserve to be selected. Averaging 40 in first class cricket is nothing special and Maxwell does not even do that.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Gruen
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Gruen - 16 Mar 2017 9:11 PM

He still had done nothing recently to deserve to be selected. Averaging 40 in first class cricket is nothing special and Maxwell does not even do that.

sadly 40 is pretty decent these days for first class batsmen
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

If we still have quite a few wickets in hand by lunch tomorrow it will be difficult to lose

question is can we win

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Gruen - 16 Mar 2017 9:11 PM

Maxwell 80 odd not out at stumps!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

As long as Oz isn't being thrashed I've loved this series in India.

In the 4-300 on the 1st day, India bowled a greater proportion of pace.
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

Expectations are the pitch will start to break up and batting conditions worsen by the end of the second day. So if Australia bat past lunch then the chances of victory are extremely high.

India's bowling performance and general attitude was noticeably different after Kohli went off the field injured as they missed his leadership.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

time here is even more important that runs. If I was australia I would try to bat to lunch or a bit after before upping the anti. If we bat to tea we've taken most of the best batting conditions

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

on maxwell's bowling he has a pretty decent strike rate of 70ish

which is similar to nathan lyons

the difference is his economy

if he gets some overs he could take a few wickets

Gruen
Gruen
Pro

Excellent century from Maxwell. I am not a fan but he has shown qualities he has previously lacked, patience, maturity and good slot selection. He has built and innings, started off by getting himself and then accelerated the scoring as he got used to the conditions. It has put Australia in a winning position in partnership with Smith.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Gruen
99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

This pitch is more similar to what they used in the India series. Looking at it 400-450 is par and probably a minimum batting first. If India get in on a pitch like this they don't just score big totals, they score them really quickly. Their plan will be if we get anything under 500, to get a 100 run first innings lead then roll us cheaply when the pitch breaks up and chase a small total if needed.

We need smith to get 200+ and 100 runs out of wade and the tail.
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

99 Problems - 17 Mar 2017 4:14 PM
This pitch is more similar to what they used in the India series. Looking at it 400-450 is par and probably a minimum batting first. If India get in on a pitch like this they don't just score big totals, they score them really quickly. Their plan will be if we get anything under 500, to get a 100 run first innings lead then roll us cheaply when the pitch breaks up and chase a small total if needed. We need smith to get 200+ and 100 runs out of wade and the tail.

I think the position is better than that as the pitch is going to deteriorate quite quickly and become a lot more difficult to bat upon. If it does it makes it a terrible pitch because winning the toss and batting first gives a huge advantage.  

And Kohli is injured and that might effect his batting.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Gruen
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

There is a bit of question mark about the Australian attack, Cummins in after one first class match in 6 years, Lyon with some problem with his spinning finger so if India do get away the bowling might start to struggle. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

think india are a little ahead of the game here to be honest

this pitch is a road but will collapse later
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

grazorblade - 17 Mar 2017 9:14 PM
think india are a little ahead of the game here to be honest

this pitch is a road but will collapse later

The reports that the pitch was going to break up on day two were totally wrong and it is still a very good batting track. India could get a lead although Vijay was a bit stupid to throw his wicket away.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

australia with their noses in front now

loss looks a 20% chance win 30% draw 50%
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

.I was just about to watch the final day's play of the Shield. For the second successive game Tasmania has collapsed to be all out for very little! This time they were chasing 300 against SA for a victory.

Anyone calling for James Faulkner's inclusion in the Test team, I've seen him fail so much as a batter at Bellerive.

Will look forward to the Third Test resumption soon. I think India are in the stronger position at the end of the fourth day's play. Must admit Cummins has surprised me, but expected him to bowl more consistently over 145 kph.

I've just seen that Pattinson has destroyed the opposition in the Shield. If Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Pattinson are all  fit at the same time this next summer, the opposition will have to combat the fastest bowling attack of all time!
Edited
7 Years Ago by Decentric
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

Pattinson certainly returned to top form and along with Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins form a quartet of fast bowlers of high quality if they can stay fit. Not too far behind them are the likes of Bird, Sayers and Siddle who can also do a decent job. With Lyon and O'Keefe looking to be decent spin bowlers the attack looks okay, just need to fix the batting which relies heavily on Smith. Renshaw and Warner look to be an opening partnership for a while but apart from that Marsh and Handscomb are not currently being overly convincing. Maxwell has one great innings but needs to do more to hold his spot for a while.
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

Saha and Jadeja both have FC averages well over 40 even though their test match averages are below 30. Ashwin has a first class average of 34 and a test match average of 33.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

commentators saying lyon is too fast

he has rarely bowled a sub 85k ball his entire career

its baffling

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search