National second division is kicking off with or without FFA

National second division is kicking off with or without FFA

Author
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Yeah, it was suppose to be the next year two years ago.

So the tough guys are just going with the FFA timetable. Tremendous leadership lol.

In a resort somewhere

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
paulc - 11 Jan 2019 9:13 AM
Yeah, it was suppose to be the next year two years ago.So the tough guys are just going with the FFA timetable. Tremendous leadership lol.

Tremendous leadership is putting things in place which force a hostile rival to join you rather than fight you.  I'd say that the AAFC have played the game pretty well so far.
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

So what is the status of the proposed  AAFC "Championship"?  Their website claims 2019 and I read reports that FFA are looking into it.  Is there any solid news about a start date or whether it's going to happen?
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

aok - 11 Jan 2019 1:34 PM
So what is the status of the proposed  AAFC "Championship"?  Their website claims 2019 and I read reports that FFA are looking into it.  Is there any solid news about a start date or whether it's going to happen?

The FFA announced a working group with Remo leading it and working closely with the AAFC and other stakeholders for early this year.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

quick question... did the AAFC get a vote on the FFA congress? off the top of my head, i don't think they did, but there was an option to give them a spot at a later date. is that correct?

I unable to find a list of the actual congress members via a google search. 
thewitness
thewitness
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 13 Feb 2019 5:14 PM
quick question... did the AAFC get a vote on the FFA congress? off the top of my head, i don't think they did, but there was an option to give them a spot at a later date. is that correct?

I unable to find a list of the actual congress members via a google search. 

They were approved as a Qualifying Member Special Interest Group (along with the coaches association), what got voted down was the back dating of their membership to when they were formed in 2017. So they are still 4 years off receiving a vote (2 votes actually) instead of 3 years.
As a Qualifying Member they can be on Standing Committees. 

The current congress members with votes are the State Feds, PFA, APFCA & the women's council.
Edited
5 Years Ago by thewitness
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

thewitness - 13 Feb 2019 5:31 PM
They were approved as a Qualifying Member Special Interest Group (along with the coaches association), what got voted down was the back dating of their membership to when they were formed in 2017. So they are still 4 years off receiving a vote (2 votes actually) instead of 3 years.
As a Qualifying Member they can be on Standing Committees. 

thanks. would it be fair to say that the second division will be up and runniung within that 4 year time frame? I know the AAFC have said 2020 previously, but that seems highly unrealistic. 
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

You can’t have it running in 2020 if in 2019 not a razoo of establishing it has been made.

Originally they said it’s now going to happen with or without the FFA, that was two years ago, then 2020 and now 2023?

All this with or without the FFA. Tough guys this lot.

30 years tops.

In a resort somewhere

thewitness
thewitness
Semi-Pro

Feed_The_Brox - 13 Feb 2019 5:43 PM
thewitness - 13 Feb 2019 5:31 PM

thanks. would it be fair to say that the second division will be up and runniung within that 4 year time frame? I know the AAFC have said 2020 previously, but that seems highly unrealistic. 

I think we will definitely see something before that 4 years expires. What form that takes i'm not sure. You have to remember that the AAFC works for it's members, NPL clubs, and may not be interested in new "franchises" and high costs being part of their competition.
I get a feeling it may just take the form of a semi-pro summer league for ambitious and wealthy NPL clubs to start with, with the potential to evolve into something more down the track (maybe a long way).
I guess we might find out more once some info comes out of the New Leagues Working Group, I think their first report is due out at the end of March. Fixing the A-League model is probably their priority though.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
paulc - 13 Feb 2019 7:00 PM
You can’t have it running in 2020 if in 2019 not a razoo of establishing it has been made.Originally they said it’s now going to happen with or without the FFA, that was two years ago, then 2020 and now 2023?All this with or without the FFA. Tough guys this lot.30 years tops.

Keep swinging, keep missing...

Without support from the FFA they would have gone for it on their own...  It would have been tough, there would have been roadblocks, it wouldn't have been the best scenario for anyone.  WITH support from the FFA they can do it in the best way for the whole of the game...  So now that they have the FFA working with them, they are delaying until it can be done right for everyone...  And you're STILL COMPLAINING...  
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

ANNOUNCEMENT BY AAFC

Outgoing Chairman of the Association of Australian Football Clubs (AAFC), Rabieh Krayem, has stood down from membership of the National Second Division steering committee.

“I decided to do this last week because I am such a strong supporter of the National Second Division that I did not want any suggestion of a conflict of interest to detract from its deliberations and eventual recommendations.”

Krayem’s appointment as Chairman of Macarthur FC, the number 12 team in the A-League was also announced last week by Lang Walker AO.

“As Chairman of AAFC, I am proud that AAFC has led the way when it comes to a national second division from our initial discussion paper blueprint in October 2017 until this point,” Krayem said.

“From my perspective, the concept of a national second division is much too important for possible detractors to rail against it based on who is, or isn’t, on the steering committee.

“Accordingly, my place on it for AAFC will be taken by another Board member of AAFC on whom they will decide later this month.”

The annual general meeting of AAFC will be held in Melbourne on Saturday 27 July.

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

West Adelaide the sole SA club set to bid for a place in soccer’s proposed national second division

A lone SA soccer club is leading the charge for a place in a proposed national second division as the state’s other top flight sides baulk at prohibitive costs and tight time frames. Former National Soccer League champion West Adelaide welcomed Football Federation Australia’s white paper on a potential second tier, earmarked to kick-off in 2021/22.West was confident of raising $2 million to fund an initial operating budget and would apply for a berth in the new competition when expressions of interest opened next year.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-adelaide-the-sole-sa-club-set-to-bid-for-a-place-in-soccers-proposed-national-second-division-ng-7f4afe72ef67a64aa220d556d5d6272a

full pasted article is on Reddit here https://www.reddit.com/r/Aleague/comments/c924rl/west_adelaide_the_sole_sa_club_set_to_bid_for_a/

paulc
paulc
Legend

Iridium1010 - 5 Jul 2019 3:37 PM

West Adelaide the sole SA club set to bid for a place in soccer’s proposed national second division

A lone SA soccer club is leading the charge for a place in a proposed national second division as the state’s other top flight sides baulk at prohibitive costs and tight time frames. Former National Soccer League champion West Adelaide welcomed Football Federation Australia’s white paper on a potential second tier, earmarked to kick-off in 2021/22.West was confident of raising $2 million to fund an initial operating budget and would apply for a berth in the new competition when expressions of interest opened next year.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-adelaide-the-sole-sa-club-set-to-bid-for-a-place-in-soccers-proposed-national-second-division-ng-7f4afe72ef67a64aa220d556d5d6272a

full pasted article is on Reddit here https://www.reddit.com/r/Aleague/comments/c924rl/west_adelaide_the_sole_sa_club_set_to_bid_for_a/

I thought Adelaide City Juventus would put their hand up before West Adelaide Hellas?

NSL Mk2 is taking shape.

In a resort somewhere

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

paulc - 6 Jul 2019 2:58 PM
Iridium1010 - 5 Jul 2019 3:37 PM

I thought Adelaide City Juventus would put their hand up before West Adelaide Hellas?

NSL Mk2 is taking shape.

We have that with the aleague. Silly Billy.

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

“It's been a tough two decades for Marconi but if the messages on coach Peter Tsenekis' phone suggest anything, it's that the former giants of Australian football are creeping back into the spotlight. Saturday's local derby against Sydney United in the National Premier League NSW qualifying finals has their handful of supporters excited but it's their clash against Melbourne City on Wednesday night in the FFA Cup round of 16 that has made Tsekenis a man in demand. Not since playing in the World Youth Championships on home soil in 1993 has he been approached by so many for tickets. For the first time in 15 years, Marconi – still the joint most successful club in Australian history – will flex their muscle against the top brass of club football in a competitive match. "There are people I haven’t heard from in a while asking me for tickets,” Tsekenis said. “This hasn't happened to me since the Youth World Cup." Glory days: Two Socceroo skippers, Marconi's Tony Henderson (left) and Hakoah's John Kosmina, clash in 1986. Glory days: Two Socceroo skippers, Marconi's Tony Henderson (left) and Hakoah's John Kosmina, clash in 1986.CREDIT:PALANI MOHAN Advertisement It's a pleasant change for Tsekenis because since the collapse of the National Soccer League in 2004, there has been little to celebrate for Marconi. They were once the glamour club of Australian football. Their boutique football stadium would hold up to 14,000 and was attached to a social club famously dubbed "The Palace" in a model no A-League club has since re-created. The Palace displays four national titles, three premierships and developed Mark Schwarzer, Paul Okon, Ufuk Talay, Tony Henderson, Steve Corica, Alex Brosque and even Italian star Christian Vieri. However, it was not enough to secure an inaugural A-League licence; a bitter blow to a historic club trying to pull itself out of a $27 million debt at the time. "It was disappointing. It was a major part of our club," Marconi president Vince Foti said. "There was a lot of resentment against the A-League for depriving us of the competition." Advertisement Borussia-bound: Marconi president, Vince Foti (back row, second from left) signs player pathway deal with Dortmund. Borussia-bound: Marconi president, Vince Foti (back row, second from left) signs player pathway deal with Dortmund.CREDIT:CHRIS LANE As humbling as that was, it paled in comparison to the embarrassment of being relegated to the NPL 2 – the third tier of Australian football – in 2015. "We took our eye off the ball, I must say that," Foti said. A proud club steeped in glory had faded to near oblivion. The board blamed their former coach, Paul Carter, while overpaid, underperforming players were a thorn in Marconi's side. The result was a club in disarray, says Tsekenis. "It was just mayhem. It was organised chaos," he said. "When I turned up there was a culture issue. There was a divide in the club." Advertisement RELATED ARTICLE Graham Arnold wants his players to be more "ruthless" as they begin their qualification path to Qatar 2022. SOCCEROOS 'It's time these boys got ruthless': Arnold wants early goals on road to Qatar Add to shortlist Driven by pride, the club was paying a "mind-boggling" sum to players in a desperate attempt to return to the NPL and slashing that wage bill was one of the first tasks Tsekenis embarked on, despite not being asked to. "Why should I pay anyone more money to come to Marconi?" Tsekenis said. "We have kids coming through who aren’t playing for money, they’re playing for opportunity and they are really blossoming." Tsekenis won't say the sum, only that the wage bill was slashed by 25 per cent by returning to the philosophy of youth development that delivered the club so much success in the NSL. It wasn't long before that shift in priorities bore fruit immediately. They sealed promotion back to the NPL 1 in 2017 and attracted Borussia Dortmund for a youth pathway this year. They overcame an injury-riddled year to reach the finals this year before securing a chance to humble the richest club in Australia, Melbourne City, in the FFA Cup on Wednesday night. Advertisement Beyond that, a chance could open for Marconi to join the proposed national second division in two years time. "We will certainly be considering all of our options if that situation arose," Foti said. That remains in the distance for now. Their immediate hopes of returning to the limelight rest upon a shock result against a club that shares owners with Manchester City. If Tsekenis can steer that, he'll be hassled for signatures, not tickets.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/resurgent-marconi-dare-to-dream-of-massive-upset-in-ffa-cup-20190816-p52hxh.html

lol Bossi. Of course it was worse to be excluded from AL than relegated to NPL2.

Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Good article. Nice to see growing media interest in lower divisions.
GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

the 2nd div needs to be called NSL simply cause NSL is already a well know brand to the football community that it could give us a lot of side opportunities like 
A-League VS NSL All star series during international breaks or turning the finals into a top4 V top4 League Cup

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

GDeathe - 17 Aug 2019 12:09 PM
the 2nd div needs to be called NSL simply cause NSL is already a well know brand to the football community that it could give us a lot of side opportunities like 
A-League VS NSL All star series during international breaks or turning the finals into a top4 V top4 League Cup

“Well known brand” my backside ... 

Whenever i mention NSL to my U18’s/16’s they ask “what’s an NSL?” lol. 

The sooner we stop looking to the past the better - I’m not keen on The Championship but it fits a world wide convention for naming second divisions now 

I like the idea of a Top 4 v Top 4 League Cup mind you, done in preseason as a proper competition it would be an excellent idea (no groups though, just a straight knock out comp) 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Never heard anyone suggest this, but it's not the worst idea doing the rounds.

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
The Div 2 needs to be kept as far away as possible from HAL clubs unless its the FFA Cup, If they want to play A-League team pre season then Div2 pays for it!

Wellington Phoenix FC

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

wot
Not A2 League?

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 18 Aug 2019 8:57 PM

wot
Not A2 League?

Isn’t there a milk brand with the name A2? :)

Honestly though, NSL won’t fly as a brand. Too much baggage and calling it soccer is a no-no.

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Heart_fan - 18 Aug 2019 10:43 PM

Honestly though, NSL won’t fly as a brand. Too much baggage and calling it soccer is a no-no.

If the 2nd division is made up of AL reserve teams they can call it NSL
- National Seconds League

If the 2nd division is made up of NPL teams they can call it NSL
- National Soccer League

If the 2nd division is made up of AL reserves plus some NPL they can call it NSL
- National Stupid League

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

There is - but A2 as a built in sponsor right there lol. 

The name has has already been decided though (‘The Championship’) so debating a non-variable indicates people are getting really bored with the lack of progress. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Waz - 19 Aug 2019 5:48 AM

There is - but A2 as a built in sponsor right there lol. 

The name has has already been decided though (‘The Championship’) so debating a non-variable indicates people are getting really bored with the lack of progress. 

Agreed.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

NZ company too...

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Not in a million years will it be ever called NSL. That would be a courageous decision to brand it as such.  
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 19 Aug 2019 9:18 AM
Not in a million years will it be ever called NSL. That would be a courageous decision to brand it as such.  

National Second League lel

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

paulbagzFC - 19 Aug 2019 9:33 AM
ErogenousZone - 19 Aug 2019 9:18 AM

National Second League lel

-PB

Dear FFA,

I double dare you.

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

I quite like NSL to be honest

A bit like how the VFA took the VFL name and became an unofficial second tier to the AFL

It wasnt the NSL that was destructive but rather the governance of the sport, which they have been in the A League as well (the FFA is almost as bad of a name)

Calling it the NSL, particularly if it has ex NSL teams, would be a fitting tribute especially as we look towards P/R one day. Its about returning teams to an equivalent league of investment and interest but with the opportunity to go that one step further

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search