The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
grazorblade - 11 Nov 2017 3:42 AM
jas88 - 8 Nov 2017 9:17 AM

not a bad idea

alternatively it would be nice to have turkey/israel/russia in our confed

Could say Georgia, Armenia Moldova and Kazakstan also 
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Something I’ve been thinking since at least the Confed Cup is that Sainsbury isn’t just one of the best defenders we’ve ever had, he’s currently the best player in the team.

He’s better than Mooy, Rogic or Leckie at the moment.

I also think that if he had decided to make his career as a defensive midfielder, he’s still be a first choice Socceroo.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Bunch of Hacks - 11 Nov 2017 3:54 AM

Could say Georgia, Armenia Moldova and Kazakstan also 

You would mean Azerbaijan, Moldova is 100% in Europe. :)
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

paladisious - 11 Nov 2017 10:56 PM
Bunch of Hacks - 11 Nov 2017 3:54 AM

You would mean Azerbaijan, Moldova is 100% in Europe. :)

Yes azerbaijan sorry - moldova is next to romania isnt it?!
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 12 Nov 2017 12:49 AM
paladisious - 11 Nov 2017 10:56 PM

Yes azerbaijan sorry - moldova is next to romania isnt it?!

Yep, up that way. 

The Moldovan language basically is Romanian, as I understand it.
Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Roos move up 4 places 39. Japan drop 11 to 55 after losses to Brazil and Belgium. Fair enough to use October rankings for the WC with most having finished competition then.

Senegal have gone up massively while Saudi, South Korea and Panama are quite low for world cup participants. Spain jump Poland and would now be in pot 1 if current rankings were considered. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Somewhere recently I've read a few Newcastle fans mooting Dimi Petratos for a Socceroo call up. After seeing him last night against mostly a 10 person Victory, I agree. He is in good form and may have taken that next step.

His long range shooting, composure on the ball and vision were impressive. SFC were mad releasing him a few years back because of a training ground bust up with Zelco.

I was also very impressed with  a young attacking player from Jets whose name escapes me - Champness? I think the Afghan national team are trying to recruit him.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Aljay - 11 Nov 2017 9:10 PM
Something I’ve been thinking since at least the Confed Cup is that Sainsbury isn’t just one of the best defenders we’ve ever had, he’s currently the best player in the team. He’s better than Mooy, Rogic or Leckie at the moment. I also think that if he had decided to make his career as a defensive midfielder, he’s still be a first choice Socceroo.

Sains made a few mistakes against Thailand. Other than that I concur he may be our current best  player in terms of recent international performances for the Socceroos.

He seems like a level headed, good natured bloke too. Probably our next captain after Jedi, Milligan and Timmy leave the Socceroos.

I saw recently on TV that he failed to make the AIS. After that he received a second chance through CCM.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Decentric - 24 Nov 2017 9:45 AM
Aljay - 11 Nov 2017 9:10 PM

Sains made a few mistakes against Thailand. Other than that I concur he may be our current best  player in terms of recent international performances for the Socceroos.

He seems like a level headed, good natured bloke too. Probably our next captain after Jedi, Milligan and Timmy leave the Socceroos.

I saw recently on TV that he failed to make the AIS. After that he received a second chance through CCM.

I thought he was dodgy against Syria aswell, he is clearly one of our best players but China and lack of game time in China is definitely not helping us get a consistent Sainsbury. 
dr. bellows
dr. bellows
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

jas88 - 8 Nov 2017 9:17 AM

not a bad idea

alternatively it would be nice to have turkey/israel/russia in our confed

There's an argument for it, especially given Israel were once Asian Champions, but it would mean FIFA would have to approve the national teams playing in a different confed to the clubs, I'd imagine. I can't see the likes of CSKA, Besiktas etc embracing Asia comp over Europe but maybe I'm wrong. I know there are one or two precedents for it around the world but I suspect that's something FIFA would prefer not be replicated.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

A-League: Zelic predicts Socceroos call-up for Jets gun | video, photos

FORMER Socceroos captain Ned Zelic rates Dimi Petratos the “best player in the competition” at present and believes the Jets attacker is on course to earn national-team selection.

Petratos set up two goals and was unlucky not to score himself as the Jets disposed of Melbourne Victory 4-1 at home on Thursday night.

The man-of-the-match performance, which included a 25 metre missile that crashed into the crossbar, continued a breakout season for the 25-year-old who has represented Australia at under-17, 20 and 23 level.

The Socceroos, fresh from qualifying for the World Cup finals next June, do not play again until the next FIFA international window in March. They will have a new coach by then after the resignation on Monday by Ange Postecoglou.

Regardless Zelic, who commentated the Jets’ win over Victory for Fox Sports, is adamant that Petratos should be in contention for a call-up.

“Right now, he is the best player in the competition,” said Zelic, who has 34 Socceroos caps. “It’s not just little bits of magic that he is producing. He is running that whole attacking department. It is great to watch. 

“You have to find a spot for him in the squad if he continues to play like this.”

Fellow Fox Sports commentator Andy Harper and former Socceroo and Newcastle Herald fooball expert David Lowe have also been impressed with Petratos.

“His game against Melbourne Victory was the best I have seen him play,” Harper said. “That has to be the first step on the rest of the journey. He is shaping up nicely. Why wouldn’t he focus on the World Cup and making that squad.”

Petratos out-played Victory opposite and Socceroos regular James Troisi on Thursday and Lowe said the Jets play-maker could provide a point of difference to the national set up.

“I like Troisi but why is he so much better than Petratos,” Lowe said. “What sets Dimi aside from other options is his shooting from range. Twenty five yards away from goal, he can be dynamite. He can dribble, cross and has a passing option as well. There are three or four ways he can hurt teams.”

Former Jet Adam Taggart was a rewarded for an outstanding A-League season with a spot in the 23-man Socceroos squad for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

“Looking at Australian-based players who might be in that fringe discussion then it is going to be an F3 derby,” Harper said. “Does the new coach take Danny De Silva or Dimi Petratos.” 

Petratos’ two assists against Victory took his tally to four. He has also contributed four goals and seems to have relished the extra responsibility since the long-term ankle injury to marquee man Ronny Vargas.

“That was the big test for him,” Harper said. “He is a different type of player, but he is best equipped to absorb that responsibility. It has probably taken him a couple of weeks, but the evidence in the Melbourne Victory game was that he is ready to go with more to come.”

Asked if Pratratos’ game could transfer to the national arena Zelic said: “That is a legitimate question, but you only know once you reward him with a selection. If he keeps going like this, he has to be rewarded. Obviously there are some challenges. He is going to have to keep his feet on the ground and not get complacent.”

Meanwhile, the Jets are sweating on positive scan results for Daniel Georgievski (knee) and Jason Hoffman (groin) after they were forced from the field in the win over Victory.

JET PROPELLED: Zelic tips nationall call-up for Dimi | Newcastle Herald

The Fans
The Fans
Pro

Petratos right now is
a) the best player in the a-league and
b) the best Australian player full stop. 
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Petratos is definitely doing more right now than Goodwin or Mabil to earn a backup wing spot.

Decentric - I think I’m right in saying that Sheffield Utd took both Marc Warren and Trent Sainsbury in trial at the same time and offered a contract to ..................... Marc Warren.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Aljay - 24 Nov 2017 8:42 PM
Petratos is definitely doing more right now than Goodwin or Mabil to earn a backup wing spot.Decentric - I think I’m right in saying that Sheffield Utd took both Marc Warren and Trent Sainsbury in trial at the same time and offered a contract to ..................... Marc Warren.

I think Petratos needs selection as a mobile AM in his own right for the Socceroos.

Don't get me going on English clubs. I think they are often coached by guys who have little knowledge compared to their highly trained European ( Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Dutch, Belgian, Italian, Serbian, Croatian), and now Aussie counterparts. I'm claiming Merrick, Lowe and Mulvey as Aussie trained coaches.

Obviously something has changed in the the underage national set up in England, with two recent  world titles  though.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

We have to remember about the likes of Mabil, Goodwin, and Borrello they playing in Europe and clearly a lot tougher to make your mark early on.

Not taking away from Petratos, hes being terrific but there needs to be some perspective on the circumstances.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Barca4Life - 25 Nov 2017 9:44 AM
We have to remember about the likes of Mabil, Goodwin, and Borrello they playing in Europe and clearly a lot tougher to make your mark early on.

Not taking away from Petratos, hes being terrific but there needs to be some perspective on the circumstances.

All true.
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

scott21 - 24 Nov 2017 7:40 PM

He isn't going to be given that amount of space in the international game

Edited
7 Years Ago by Pasquali
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro

Barca4Life - 25 Nov 2017 9:44 AM

Exactly, look at the video above. Clearly Mabil is unlikely to be given that kind of space
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

I think in the past wingers mids and goal keepers who have been strong in the a league have done well overseas

My benchmark for when a winger/AM is ready to go overseas is when they get a goal every 4 games and an assist every four games. Borello was slightly below that so is finding it tricky. Leckie and kruse were around there and ended up making the bundesliga after some time in the 2nd division. Mooy was way ahead of that and ended up doing well in the epl

So how is petratros doing?

4 goals and 3 assists in 8 games (benchmark is 2+2)
3 chances created a game  (benchmark is 2)
tackles + intercepts 8 (benchmark is 16)

so apart from defence he is doing very well
The Fans
The Fans
Pro

grazorblade - 25 Nov 2017 1:05 PM
I think in the past wingers mids and goal keepers who have been strong in the a league have done well overseas

My benchmark for when a winger/AM is ready to go overseas is when they get a goal every 4 games and an assist every four games. Borello was slightly below that so is finding it tricky. Leckie and kruse were around there and ended up making the bundesliga after some time in the 2nd division. Mooy was way ahead of that and ended up doing well in the epl

So how is petratros doing?

4 goals and 3 assists in 8 games (benchmark is 2+2)
3 chances created a game  (benchmark is 2)
tackles + intercepts 8 (benchmark is 16)

so apart from defence he is doing very well

He's pretty good in defence. As good as Mooy is. I think right now he is (for only 8 games mind you) performing at least as good as Mooy was. I use Mooy as comparison because his last season for MC was the best ever season for an a-league player. 

Personally I'd have Mooy as the AMC and Petratos as a wider attacking player. But if the new coach is so keen to waste Mooy as a defensive mid like ange was then Petratos should be the attacking mid. 

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

The Fans - 25 Nov 2017 1:33 PM
grazorblade - 25 Nov 2017 1:05 PM

He's pretty good in defence. As good as Mooy is. I think right now he is (for only 8 games mind you) performing at least as good as Mooy was. I use Mooy as comparison because his last season for MC was the best ever season for an a-league player. 

Personally I'd have Mooy as the AMC and Petratos as a wider attacking player. But if the new coach is so keen to waste Mooy as a defensive mid like ange was then Petratos should be the attacking mid. 

if he keeps it up for the rest of the season i'd call him up
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

grazorblade - 25 Nov 2017 2:24 PM

He has to be called up in March. I haven't watched a single game of a league this season (no local team, desperately stagnant, no interest whatsoever), but if he's been as good as people say, he needs to be given a chance asap. It's pretty exciting really. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Derider - 25 Nov 2017 2:43 PM

He has to be called up in March. I haven't watched a single game of a league this season (no local team, desperately stagnant, no interest whatsoever), but if he's been as good as people say, he needs to be given a chance asap. It's pretty exciting really. 

speaking of dominant a league players when is ryan grant due back?
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

I'd have definitely called him up in March, but now since Ange has left the new manager won't have time to waste his one international break before the WC on fringe players. So unless he is really dominating i doubt he'll be called up.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Bossi doing more advertising for SFC as usual. This time why JB should be a Socceroo again and of course Arnold manager

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/fifa-world-cup-2018-the-aleague-stats-that-back-josh-brillantes-hopes-to-make-socceroos-squad-for-russia-20171126-gzt27x.html

Im going to pick a Brandan O'Neill 4 Socceroos next week but might be a Zullo fluff piece.

Aljay
Aljay
Pro

Josh is playing fairly well this season and players hit their peak around 25+ (see - Petratos, Mooy). Add in Jedinak and Milligan slowing down and he is definitely a chance at the squad post-2018 WC.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

scott21 - 26 Nov 2017 9:19 PM
Bossi doing more advertising for SFC as usual. This time why JB should be a Socceroo again and of course Arnold manager

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/fifa-world-cup-2018-the-aleague-stats-that-back-josh-brillantes-hopes-to-make-socceroos-squad-for-russia-20171126-gzt27x.html

Im going to pick a Brandan O'Neill 4 Socceroos next week but might be a Zullo fluff piece.

Well F*ck my old boots.

TBF Hassett is pretty pro SFC also and plays off Bossi, I was close though

• Brandon O'Neill in action for Sydney FC during the FFA Cup final (Getty Images)
Sydney FC star Brandon O’Neill has long been touted as a future Socceroo, but the midfielder might soon be faced with a choice about his international future.
By 
Sebastian Hassett

27 NOV 2017 - 8:42 PM  UPDATED 30 MINS AGO

The 23-year-old has been informally approached about whether he would consider accepting a call-up from the Republic of Ireland, where his father, Miles, originally hails from and was both a professional footballer and boxer before emigrating to Australia.

It is understood that O'Neill's brilliant ongoing form in the A-League has been known about for some time in Ireland but has now reached some key power brokers in Irish football.

When contacted by The World Game on Monday night, O’Neill’s agent Tony Rallis confirmed there had been preliminary interest in the former Australian Under-23 representative.

"The fact that Brandon hasn’t been capped by the Socceroos has left the door ajar for Ireland and it’s no surprise to learn they’ve been tracking how well he’s been going here," Rallis said.

"I’m sure Brandon’s first preference would be to play for the Socceroos, because that’s been the dream for his entire life.

Sydney FC ram home their ominous credentials
A-League punters were left in no doubt about Sydney FC's potential for more silverware this season after a gruelling week which underlined the extraordinary athletic capacity of the reigning champions.

"However, just the interest itself is obviously quite a thrill for Brandon and his family, in particular his father, who has very strong ties to his country.

"For now, he hasn’t been called up by Australia or Ireland, so it’s hard to say what will happen down the line. As it stands, he’s as committed as ever to playing good football with Sydney FC and hopefully, one day, for the green and gold."

One of the most polished passers in the entire competition, O’Neill has been a stalwart for the Sky Blues since the day he crossed from Perth Glory in 2015, winning plaudits for his consistently high output.

In recent times, he’s showed his versatility by playing on the left-side of midfield to accommodate Josh Brillante.

Representing Ireland would mean that O’Neill gets to play in regular European competition and join a midfield that already features the likes of Everton's James McCarthy, West Bromwich's James McClean, Burnley's Robbie Brady and Bournemouth’s Harry Arter.

Such exposure could also enhance his prospects of landing his dream move to a major European league.

He would, however, forego the opportunity to have a shot at the 2018 FIFA World Cup after a Christian Eriksen-inspired Denmark hammered Ireland 5-1 at the Aviva Stadium in the second leg of their recent play-off.

Sydney FC's O’Neill being chased by Ireland | : The World Game

StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

He suggested last year he was open to playing for either Australia or Ireland, from memory it was a first come first server attitude, whilst its nice to have a wealth of talent to pick from, I reckon you should play where your heart is. 
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Aljay - 24 Nov 2017 8:42 PM
Petratos is definitely doing more right now than Goodwin or Mabil to earn a backup wing spot.Decentric - I think I’m right in saying that Sheffield Utd took both Marc Warren and Trent Sainsbury in trial at the same time and offered a contract to ..................... Marc Warren.

Not really playing as a winger these days though is he
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

paladisious - 12 Nov 2017 12:53 AM
Bunch of Hacks - 12 Nov 2017 12:49 AM

Yep, up that way. 

The Moldovan language basically is Romanian, as I understand it.

Yes. 
The difference is a political thing that is linked to nationalism. So if a politician were to say what you did it legit causes protests in the streets. It can be pretty weird at times because they will have political meetings where there is a "translator" present to maintain the image of difference, but the translator pretty much repeats the exact same shit in the "other" language.

They have the same grammar but slightly different lexicon. I think the main reason for lexicon differences are because Moldovan retained more of the slavic words from prior centuries, whereas Romanian converted from a slavic language to a romance language. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by bohemia
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search