Fortress Australia

Fortress Australia

Author
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I was just checking our record in World Cup Qualifiers after my post in the Australia vs UAE thread regarding our home record when I figured I'd go a little further back.

Turns out, since our first ever official WCQ in November 1965 against North Korea, the Socceroos have only ever lost three home World Cup Qualifiers in our history.

Our most recent home defeat was almost a decade ago against China in June 2008 under Pim, then you have to go all the way back to May 1981 when New Zealand got us 0-2 in Sydney in the then weirdly organised joint OFC and AFC 1982 World Cup qualifiers, and once more in the campaign before that for the 1978 World Cup when Iran got an unanswered away goal in Melbourne in August 1977.

That's it; only three home losses in 52 years of high stakes qualifiers, even when they've sent Maradona, Recoba, and whoever else against us.

Does anyone in world football have a record anything like this?
thewitness
thewitness
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
paladisious - 27 Mar 2017 9:06 PM
I was just checking our record in World Cup Qualifiers after my post in the Australia vs UAE thread regarding our home record when I figured I'd go a little further back.

Turns out, since our first ever official WCQ in November 1965 against North Korea, the Socceroos have only ever lost three home World Cup Qualifiers in our history.

Our most recent home defeat was almost a decade ago against China in June 2008 under Pim, then you have to go all the way back to May 1981 when New Zealand got us 0-2 in Sydney in the then weirdly organised joint OFC and AFC 1982 World Cup qualifiers, and once more in the campaign before that for the 1978 World Cup when Iran got an unanswered away goal in Melbourne in August 1977.

That's it; only three home losses in 52 years of high stakes qualifiers, even when they've sent Maradona, Recoba, and whoever else against us.

And that loss to China was a dead rubber game when we had already qualified for the next round. They used the match as a warm up for the Olyroos before the Beijing Olympics. This is the squad we used on that day:
Michael Petkovic, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Matthew Spiranovic, Jade North, Ruben Zadkovich, Carl Valeri, Mile Jedinak (Neil Kilkenny 79), James Holland (David Williams 63), James Troisi (Kristian Sarkies 83), Bruce Djite, Harry Kewell

Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

We'll probably lose tomorrow such is the rubbish our players are serving up at the moment.
99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

I'm pretty sure it is the best or second best record in football over that period. An overseas publication did a story on it using the 'you'll never guess which country has this home record in home qualifiers' angle but I can't remember who it was. I'm pretty sure it was posted here at some point though.
No Totti No Party
No Totti No Party
Amateur
Amateur (515 reputation)Amateur (515 reputation)Amateur (515 reputation)Amateur (515 reputation)Amateur (515 reputation)Amateur (515 reputation)Amateur (515 reputation)Amateur (515 reputation)Amateur (515 reputation)Amateur (515 reputation)Amateur (515 reputation)

Yeah but they also had the advantage of playing powerhouses such as American Samoa for a good chunk of those years

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Losing isn't the problem, drawing games is.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

milan_7
milan_7
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Wow that is insane, good work pala!
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Technically the Iran game wasn't a loss.

So maybe it's just twice.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

tsf - 28 Mar 2017 12:33 AM

Technically the Iran game wasn't a loss.

So maybe it's just twice.

The '98 qualifier you may be thinking of was lost on away goals, with no actual loss in a 90 minute game and so doesn't count, but Iran did beat us in a joint AFC-OFC group home match in August 1977 for the 1978 World Cup.
Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

No Totti No Party - 27 Mar 2017 10:53 PM
Yeah but they also had the advantage of playing powerhouses such as American Samoa for a good chunk of those years

Still had playoffs against the likes of Argentina, Uruguay and Scotland throughout that time, and yet we've kept the record intact.

In fact, we only had purely OFC qualifiers (all followed by super hard playoffs) for a relatively short period of our history: just four campaigns from the 1994 through to 2006 World Cups. Before that we were lumped into joint AFC-OFC qualifiers, or even "rest of the world" groups including absurd arrangements with Israel or African countries in a time when World Cup qualification was horribly Euro/South American-centric.

Get yourself a copy of Shielas, Wogs and Poofters for the best firsthand account of that time, or click through the very well kept records on wiki. :)
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

milan_7 - 27 Mar 2017 11:47 PM
Wow that is insane, good work pala!

A pleasure, thanks! :)
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Dan_The_Red - 27 Mar 2017 10:10 PM
We'll probably lose tomorrow such is the rubbish our players are serving up at the moment.

Well I've just jinxed us, haven't I?
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

paladisious - 28 Mar 2017 6:05 AM

5-0 loss at home to UAE coming up.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

I think I  saw recently that Italy have never lost a home world cup qualification match. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

thewitness - 27 Mar 2017 9:28 PM

And that loss to China was a dead rubber game when we had already qualified for the next round. They used the match as a warm up for the Olyroos before the Beijing Olympics. This is the squad we used on that day:
Michael Petkovic, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Matthew Spiranovic, Jade North, Ruben Zadkovich, Carl Valeri, Mile Jedinak (Neil Kilkenny 79), James Holland (David Williams 63), James Troisi (Kristian Sarkies 83), Bruce Djite, Harry Kewell

I was there that night. Painful game to watch. Spiranovic had just come off a season at Nürnberg. Valeri, Jedinak and Troisi made the grade.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

johnszasz - 28 Mar 2017 7:57 AM
I think I  saw recently that Italy have never lost a home world cup qualification match. 

Looking quickly on Soccerway which goes back to a 4-0 win over Greece in 1934 it seems you're right!

Then again, they have Liechtenstein next up at home, so maybe you just jinxed them as well.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

paladisious - 28 Mar 2017 8:14 AM

Looking quickly on Soccerway which goes back to a 4-0 win over Greece in 1934 it seems you're right!

Then again, they have Liechtenstein next up at home, so maybe you just jinxed them as well.

I think Sport Bible Facebook posted it over the weekend. I could barely believe it. Our record isn't too shabby.

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

paladisious - 28 Mar 2017 5:52 AM
tsf - 28 Mar 2017 12:33 AM

The '98 qualifier you may be thinking of was lost on away goals, with no actual loss in a 90 minute game and so doesn't count, but Iran did beat us in a joint AFC-OFC group home match in August 1977 for the 1978 World Cup.

Ah cool! You're a genius. You should send this topic in to Guardian Knowledge :) 
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

paladisious - 28 Mar 2017 6:05 AM

If there's ever going to be a time we'll lose at home, it's tonight.
hotrod
hotrod
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Point is, we need to win.

Not just NOT lose.

I draw is as good as a loss now.

thewitness
thewitness
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Brazil has never lost a Qualification match at home either I think, but have obviously lost World Cup finals matches at home.
Edited
7 Years Ago by thewitness
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I was at the 77/78 loss to Iran. It was a shambles. We were lucky to not lose by more. I can remember Peter Wilson looking at the stands toward the end of the game as bucket loads of people were walking out of the stadium. He appeared very stunned and lost. It was a rather sad moment , and truly reflective of how the team was playing.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Interesting.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

hotrod - 28 Mar 2017 9:27 AM
Point is, we need to win.

Not just NOT lose.

I draw is as good as a loss now.

Agree we definitely need all 9 points available at home.

Fortunately, we've only drawn three home qualifiers since joining too, two of them against Japan, one against Oman.
moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

paladisious - 28 Mar 2017 8:14 AM

Haha, that would be a great story
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

paladisious - 28 Mar 2017 12:45 PM
hotrod - 28 Mar 2017 9:27 AM

Agree we definitely need all 9 points available at home.

Fortunately, we've only drawn three home qualifiers since joining too, two of them against Japan, one against Oman.

That bloody Oman game. I can't remember being more annoyed inside a football ground as what I was during that game.

The whole Fortress Australia (or really, any country's ability to win home) is something that has interested me for years. Even countries that struggle to make the World Cup, eg Bolivia, can still create a Fortress like impression for visiting teams.

marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Nah the national team is shit brah. 3rd biggest code in a country of ~20 million that was recently crowned the best in the most populous and fastest growing region of the planet, football is dying in this country, we've got no good players, etc 

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Egg on face dodged!
lolitsbigmic
lolitsbigmic
World Class
World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)

paladisious - 28 Mar 2017 10:28 PM
Egg on face dodged!

still have the saudi game.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Phew!
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search