Club legend Thomas Broich to leave Brisbane Roar at the end of the A-League season

Club legend Thomas Broich to leave Brisbane Roar at the end of the...

Author
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
@fans

When I read this it's more about Aloisi than Broich perhaps. Removing an authority figure from the club who has stated managerial aspirations.

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

I was thinking,maybe it was his comments about Macca trying his luck overseas.Maybe the dressing room listens to Broich too much for the coaching staff.Because I am sure only a month or two ago Aloisi was praising him and saying he would want him involved with Roar after he finished playing.
Whats changed in the last few months?ACL and a lot of young players stepping up and too many old players?
elgee
elgee
Under 7s
Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)

agga78 - 18 Apr 2017 9:05 PM
Personally I think he is a decent A league footballer now, 3-4 years ago, he was the best player in the league. 
I think in another 6 months, he may not be at a decent level anymore,  just like every player, one day the legs just go and I think Brioch reached that point.

He's still easily in the top 5/6 on our list. Might be a little slow but I'd take is quality and vision over Arana's pace and (usually) horrible final ball for another year anyway. If J2 has room for a 49 year old I'm pretty sure BRFC has room for a 37 year old class act. I'm dumbfounded that the club can't at least put an offer to him. This is a classic case of the Bakries not committing appropriate finances to the club imo rather than a purely football based decision.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ elgee

How is this a case of the bakries not committing proper finances to the club - Roar spend the full salary cap and have two marquees on the books every year. The only way they could "commit more finances" to the club would be if they broke the salary cap.

Do they underfund other areas of the club - yes they do, but that's not affecting the football budget.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ crimdoncrusoe

What's changed in a couple of months is Broichs mind; a couple of months ago he was retiring at the end of the season, travelling for a bit, going back to Germany to get his coaching licence and maybe back to Brisbane ... now he wants to play on. That's what's changed.
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Waz - 18 Apr 2017 10:39 PM
@SWandPI think Broich has received more in salary from Roar than most people will earn in a lifetime - $500k+/year for how long? Hes been paid really well. He's 37 next up, his ankle is almost shot and will probably need major surgery in the winter, and he's not asking for a cheap salary he's asking for what he thinks he's worth - good for him - but if Roar overpay Broich under the cap how do they afford to keep Avraam, Caletti and sign a new striker to replace Maccers?

I wasn't thinking about money in my response.  It wasn't mentioned anywhere.
Since you raised it though - ditch Arana and promote a youth squad member in his place.  The youngster will be bottom of the payroll and then use the difference to pay Broich?  I'm presuming they are paying Holman and Oar the overs?  Neither of those has impressed me more than Broich this season.

While I feel like having a rant - Why are players like Arana even brought to the League?  There was an even bigger dud they signed last year and he's so forgettable that I've already forgotten him. 
This year they are forced to play Caletti and look at the performances!  If an import player isn't good enough to be on your starting sheet every single week then he isn't good enough to be robbing a young Australian of a chance at a Professional career. 

Broich will wake up one day and decide he doesn't want to go to training that morning.  He will be a top line player until that day. 

elgee
elgee
Under 7s
Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)

Waz - 18 Apr 2017 11:28 PM
@ elgee How is this a case of the bakries not committing proper finances to the club - Roar spend the full salary cap and have two marquees on the books every year. The only way they could "commit more finances" to the club would be if they broke the salary cap. Do they underfund other areas of the club - yes they do, but that's not affecting the football budget.

I don't see how after dimi left they've spent his wages. Isn't Avram on an injury contract - ie - paid for by the insurance company. Broich shouldn't be a marquee next year but you can't tell me roar are spending their entire cap on non-marquee players given the lists that city & even perth have. Aren't half our guys getting game time still on youth contracts? Do we even have the maximum number of outfield players on senior deals? I hardly think Brady, Crestani or Caletti would be commanding beaucoup dollars.

*edited
Edited
7 Years Ago by elgee
Waz
Waz
Legend

SWandP

You're thinking of Hervas. Who has one thing in common with Arana and that's they were both last minute signings after a winter crisis.

Keeping Broich is not as simple as dropping one player and promoting a kid - the salary cap means $2.8m has to be spent on a squad of 23 players and the PFA set a minimum wage ($60k?). So you'd have to lose an Avraam and sign a new striker on Peppers pay grade and ability.

The villain is the cap here. Keeping Broich but losing Avraam and Caletti and having no money for a decent striker is pointless.
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ elgee

Crestani or Caletti are on youth contracts (NYL) not senior contracts.

And yes Roar spend 100% of the cap allowance and yes they have a full quota of players.

Avraam is an injury replacement this season only, he wants a two year contract or he's back overseas next year.

I can't believe there is such a fuss over a 36 year old player leaving. It's just time.
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Waz - 18 Apr 2017 11:51 PM
@ elgee Crestani or Caletti are on youth contracts (NYL) not senior contracts. And yes Roar spend 100% of the cap allowance and yes they have a full quota of players. Avraam is an injury replacement this season only, he wants a two year contract or he's back overseas next year. I can't believe there is such a fuss over a 36 year old player leaving. It's just time.

You have to see both sides of the argument Waz. I can understand why Brisbane let him go, but I don't think they offered him a contract. They could have at least sat down with him and asked him what does he think is a fair offer. He is still better than most players going around in the A-league. He has the sort of football brain you can use at the club especially bringing the young players through. 

elgee
elgee
Under 7s

Waz - 18 Apr 2017 11:51 PM
@ elgee Crestani or Caletti are on youth contracts (NYL) not senior contracts. And yes Roar spend 100% of the cap allowance and yes they have a full quota of players. Avraam is an injury replacement this season only, he wants a two year contract or he's back overseas next year. I can't believe there is such a fuss over a 36 year old player leaving. It's just time.

Without being able to find actual facts I find it hard to believe - I know it was cited we spent the minimum 90 per cent last year. Happy to be corrected. We definitely haven't exploited all of the avenues outside of the cap. Broich is great hence the fuss. For me he's in the top 5. We're not going to be able to replace him with a player of the same quality barring a miracle and if you can't do better then stick with what you've got. Don't make the squad weaker *edited.
Edited
7 Years Ago by elgee
WolfyWolf
WolfyWolf
Weekender
Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)

Hahaha whoa that's really gonna blow up in BR's faces if this is true. The bloke is a club legend and he's gonna leave like this??? I wonder if this will be the breaking point for many Roar fans...
If this does happen then now would be the perfect time for the FFA to introduce a second Brisbane team. Setup as direct rivals to Roar, do the opposite of everything the Bakries have done, hire some bloke that the Aloisi's hate (what's that Adelaide guy up to?), make some jabs at their treatment of Broich, and then sign him as their marquee for their first season. Holy shit I would be able to taste the salt from here. What an awesome shitshow that would be. Would set up one hell of a fiery Brisbane rivalry! Or imagine if Victory signed Broich...goddamn the entertainment from this shit goes through :D

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Welcome to Melbourne Broich!

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Waz
Waz
Legend

@ RBB

I can see both sides, but don't connect with the hysterics on this that's all.

Let's assume they have sat down with him, that they have asked what a fair offer is, and that he's looking for something over $250k possibly as high as $300k for one year.

Let's also assume that Roar know his medical history, the guy gets through games with regular injections, let's assume he's having his ankle operated on this winter, that was always saud to be s major operation the next time it was required.

Then let's assume Roar/Aloisi look at the squad they want for next season with all the usual limitations you have. Roar need a new striker, that's priority No. 1, they need to sign Avraam up (Victory, City have been in contact with him), Caletti is off contract and his agent recons he's worth more than minimum wage, Theo is 37 so maybe they need a new GK are they going cheap and backing Young or investing money in a top keeper? So where's the cap money best spent??

Then you look at the language Broich himself is using, he's nearly leaving on good terms, he's always been a good club-man and if he's accepted this as the right decision for the club that's telling.

Sentiment doesn't win you titles and let's see if wanderers, Victory or SFC snap him up. I suspect they won't.

Jets (if they have O'Donnovon) would be wise to have a look at Broich, but whoever does they need to be prepared to put him in the top earning bracket, he'll be one of your top 6-7 paid players, if he has a great season everyone will say Roar made a mistake, if he's missing most of the season "everyone" will say nothing and be conspicuously absent in their commentary. But everyone who's commenting isn't in Aloisi's position today - what are my options for building a title winning squad for next year?

I'd rather he stayed, I love the bloke, but I wouldn't get bent out of shaoe a 36 year old player is moving on. When it's time, it's time. Archie Thompson wanted one more year, the great players always do ...
primtech
primtech
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)

Club needs to come out and explain it all from their end. If its the salary cap preventing TB from signing again then people will at least be able to redirect their anger at the FFA lol. What about that Archie rule for long serving players? 
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Straight to the jets as a marquee signing
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Volrath2002 - 18 Apr 2017 10:59 PM
He will be heading back to Germany, that is a sure thing.

Would be great if he got into coaching. I reckon he's got a lot to give. Something like an academy type coaching role

Bally #1
Bally #1
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

I hope he stays in the A-League, a good singing for one of the lesser clubs.

And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

15 All

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Waz,If Broich wants to play on for a few more years full time then I can appreciate that Aloisis has to prioritise youth and long term objectives.
But if Broich leaves ,then thats one spot free and if Arana leaves that's another.If Macca leaves there's another.That's three.
Is Pepper going to stay?Surely not..A youth player can do what he does and so can one of our three experienced CB's.
So that's four spots.
But a loyalty payment can be made upto $200k outside the cap.Broich qualifies.
3 home grown players can be paid up to $200k outside the cap and under 23....,Brown,Borrello,Caletti?
Then there is the mature age rookie ,over 21 who can be paid outside the cap...Borello.
Have Roar maxed out all of these options?
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Very disappointing! However, I can understand Roar's position. Its difficult, very difficult. So Friday night may be the last time, probably will go now!

Love ya Thomas!
Aus Football Fan
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
So why couldnt Aloisi offer Broich a contract
And obviously Broic wasnt 100% commited to playing for the roar otherwise he would have waited for a contracy or further negotiated for one
elgee
elgee
Under 7s

Waz - 19 Apr 2017 6:58 AM
@ RBB I can see both sides, but don't connect with the hysterics on this that's all. Let's assume they have sat down with him, that they have asked what a fair offer is, and that he's looking for something over $250k possibly as high as $300k for one year. Let's also assume that Roar know his medical history, the guy gets through games with regular injections, let's assume he's having his ankle operated on this winter, that was always saud to be s major operation the next time it was required. Then let's assume Roar/Aloisi look at the squad they want for next season with all the usual limitations you have. Roar need a new striker, that's priority No. 1, they need to sign Avraam up (Victory, City have been in contact with him), Caletti is off contract and his agent recons he's worth more than minimum wage, Theo is 37 so maybe they need a new GK are they going cheap and backing Young or investing money in a top keeper? So where's the cap money best spent?? Then you look at the language Broich himself is using, he's nearly leaving on good terms, he's always been a good club-man and if he's accepted this as the right decision for the club that's telling. Sentiment doesn't win you titles and let's see if wanderers, Victory or SFC snap him up. I suspect they won't. Jets (if they have O'Donnovon) would be wise to have a look at Broich, but whoever does they need to be prepared to put him in the top earning bracket, he'll be one of your top 6-7 paid players, if he has a great season everyone will say Roar made a mistake, if he's missing most of the season "everyone" will say nothing and be conspicuously absent in their commentary. But everyone who's commenting isn't in Aloisi's position today - what are my options for building a title winning squad for next year? I'd rather he stayed, I love the bloke, but I wouldn't get bent out of shaoe a 36 year old player is moving on. When it's time, it's time. Archie Thompson wanted one more year, the great players always do ...

How much silverware do the aloisis have as coaches vs how much has broich won in Brisbane. For every two foreign players aloisi recruits one is a dud. Hervas, arana, even oar coming back has been lackluster. Let oar go, let arana go, let avram go - he's great but we're still conceding goals like crazy - a good defensive structure/organisation with no zonal marking would fix that with the players we already had (the number of times I've seen roar defenders stand flat footed in their zone while runners take off this year makes me sick). Let all those players go and keep broich. I'm calling into question Aloisi's choices when acquiring and keeping talent. He won nothing at heart and he's won nothing here. If he wins silverware it will be an isolated victory - he's a Wenger a good coach, not terrible, not great. And now we have to lose Broich because of his good, not great list management. He can be vindicated of course if we go on to win the double two years in a row but so far he's had what four years as a senior coach now and until he gets some silverware I'm going to be skeptical. Reminds me of the Farina days to be honest except instead of just being competitive in the a-league we're competitive in the a-league and below par in the acl.

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Aus Football Fan - 19 Apr 2017 1:30 PM
So why couldnt Aloisi offer Broich a contractAnd obviously Broic wasnt 100% commited to playing for the roar otherwise he would have waited for a contracy or further negotiated for one

Why would he hang around and beg for a contract? He wanted to play for them but they could not offer him a contract for what ever reason, he is just thinking of his future which is fair. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by WSF
World Class

Coming off contract, other HAL clubs will have been making offers since January.

Nothing wrong with the system, this is just Broich's agent using the fans to up the bidding.

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

@ RBB I can see both sides, but don't connect with the hysterics on this that's all. Let's assume they have sat down with him, that they have asked what a fair offer is, and that he's looking for something over $250k possibly as high as $300k for one year. Let's also assume that Roar know his medical history, the guy gets through games with regular injections, let's assume he's having his ankle operated on this winter, that was always saud to be s major operation the next time it was required. Then let's assume Roar/Aloisi look at the squad they want for next season with all the usual limitations you have. Roar need a new striker, that's priority No. 1, they need to sign Avraam up (Victory, City have been in contact with him), Caletti is off contract and his agent recons he's worth more than minimum wage, Theo is 37 so maybe they need a new GK are they going cheap and backing Young or investing money in a top keeper? So where's the cap money best spent?? Then you look at the language Broich himself is using, he's nearly leaving on good terms, he's always been a good club-man and if he's accepted this as the right decision for the club that's telling. Sentiment doesn't win you titles and let's see if wanderers, Victory or SFC snap him up. I suspect they won't. Jets (if they have O'Donnovon) would be wise to have a look at Broich, but whoever does they need to be prepared to put him in the top earning bracket, he'll be one of your top 6-7 paid players, if he has a great season everyone will say Roar made a mistake, if he's missing most of the season "everyone" will say nothing and be conspicuously absent in their commentary. But everyone who's commenting isn't in Aloisi's position today - what are my options for building a title winning squad for next year? I'd rather he stayed, I love the bloke, but I wouldn't get bent out of shaoe a 36 year old player is moving on. When it's time, it's time. Archie Thompson wanted one more year, the great players always do ...

I agree. He doesn't seem to have much animosity towards the club and there is nothing saying he can't follow through with his originally stated plan of getting his coaching education in Germany then coming back to Brisbane to coach after he plays a season or two elsewhere. Brisbane reignited his love of football, he's not just going to cut ties with the club because they didn't let him play until he was 40.

I'd prefer Broich stay on on a low contract and help bring through the younger guys, but he's got one season left at most and if the club thinks this is the right time to start rejuvenating an ageing squad, so be it. Maybe they see it as a chance to have guys like Brady step up.
elgee
elgee
Under 7s

maxxie - 19 Apr 2017 2:13 PM

I agree. He doesn't seem to have much animosity towards the club and there is nothing saying he can't follow through with his originally stated plan of getting his coaching education in Germany then coming back to Brisbane to coach after he plays a season or two elsewhere. Brisbane reignited his love of football, he's not just going to cut ties with the club because they didn't let him play until he was 40.

I'd prefer Broich stay on on a low contract and help bring through the younger guys, but he's got one season left at most and if the club thinks this is the right time to start rejuvenating an ageing squad, so be it. Maybe they see it as a chance to have guys like Brady step up.

Awer scott21 said: I just read an article stating he was applying for Aus citizenship. If he will be a non visa player next season I can't see why BR didn't give him a dodgy Jade North type contract. Having him on a low wage but being paid for coaching also etc....

As Awer stated - they could've put him on minimum wage contract this year and backended it with a highly paid first year junior coaching gig at the Bakrie's state of the art academy and home base. And sorted out citizenship for him on top. For a great guy the club owed him a lot more effort. Frankly I've never been more disappointed and that is stretching back to August 25 2005. Personally I think he still could've done a job for us next year as a utility. He won everything in the air as a spare man in the box against Kashima the other night and those guys are no mugs.  I expected a lot more from coach and club.
Edited
7 Years Ago by elgee
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ elgee

I don't think Broich was interested in a minimum wage deal when he feels he's worth $250-$300k or more overseas. And backending a deal with a coaching job would be in breach of the salary cap - such deals need to be approved by the ffa to prevent clubs manipulating the cap.

His plan two months ago were said to be retire, travel, go to Germany and get his coaches licence, come back and coach at Roar. All he's done is add one more year playing in front of that
RyanM
RyanM
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Waz - 19 Apr 2017 4:12 PM
@ elgee I don't think Broich was interested in a minimum wage deal when he feels he's worth $250-$300k or more overseas. And backending a deal with a coaching job would be in breach of the salary cap - such deals need to be approved by the ffa to prevent clubs manipulating the cap. His plan two months ago were said to be retire, travel, go to Germany and get his coaches licence, come back and coach at Roar. All he's done is add one more year playing in front of that

Wouldn't a big chunk of his salary be outside the cap due to the loyalty player rule? He could be a $250k player but only $150k of that would count towards the cap.

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

So the ACL group games are not part of the season as far as the FFA and PFA are concerned?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search