Kewell set to be named as League two club manager

Kewell set to be named as League two club manager

Author
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Socceroos icon Harry Kewell is set for his first senior managerial job, with the former Liverpool winger reportedly in line to become the new manager of English League Two outfit Crawley Town.
Source: SBS The World Game
23 MAY 2017 - 4:38 PM UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO
Tweet
According to reports in the UK, Kewell, 38, is the hot favourite to replace the sacked Dermot Drummy and he is expected to be unveiled as early as next week.

It would signal Kewell's first senior managerial position, after leaving his role as Watford Under-23 coach last month, due to a string of poor results.

Kewell leaves role as Watford Under-23 coach
Socceroos icon Harry Kewell has announced he has left his role as Watford Under-23 coach, due to a recent poor run of results.
Kewell, who played for the Socceroos at the 2006 and 2010 FIFA World Cups, said in December that his ultimate goal was to become manager of his former club Liverpool.

"My ultimate goal is Liverpool ... You don't know unless you get thrown in there. I'm a big believer in sink or swim," Kewell said.

Kewell sets coaching sights on Liverpool
Harry Kewell has revealed his coaching ambition is to be at Liverpool, but the Socceroos legend has given little away about how he might get there.
Kewell was also recently linked to the Newcastle Jets job, which was eventually filled by Ernie Merrick.

Crawley Town finished 19th on the 24-team League Two ladder in 2016-17 - just five points clear of the relegation zone and only winning one of their last 14 games.

Meanwhile, the news of Kewell's imminent arrival hasn't gone down well with some supporters, who took to Twitter to vent their discontent.

@TurpinAllan @PhilHayYEP I'm a Leeds fan who lives in Crawley, so this is not welcome news.

— Sam Beckley (@sambmot) May 20, 2017

@TurpinAllan @PhilHayYEP Scumbag! Hope he gets sacked from there too.

— Rumoydin (@Rumoydin) May 20, 2017
Aus Football Fan
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Wtf is wrong with thoose fans
Why are thoose salty just cause Kewell signed for Crawley?

Reedy
Reedy
Rising Star
Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)Rising Star (950 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Aus Football Fan - 23 May 2017 6:44 PM
Wtf is wrong with thoose fansWhy are thoose salty just cause Kewell signed for Crawley?

LIKE if U think Cristiano Ronaldo is More Better than Messi 😉 🙂 ❤ Cristiano Ronaldo IsThe best soccer player in the world 
Is the first player to win the champions league , euro club, World Cup and ballon d 'or, best player of the Fifa All in the same year. 💪🏆⚽ C ❤ R ❤ 7 👑

Lightbulb
Lightbulb
Hacker
Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)

Aus Football Fan - 23 May 2017 6:44 PM
Wtf is wrong with thoose fansWhy are thoose salty just cause Kewell signed for Crawley?

Those fans are Leeds fans not Crawley Town fans.  They are upset that Kewell played for Galatsaray.  Galatsaray supporters were responsible for the deaths of two Leeds supporters in 2000.

Crawley Town supporters reactions are mixed.  Some of them are happy that the Leeds supporters are pissed.

Requiescat in pace!

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Confirmed by the club:

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Kewell for Crawley
Tue 23 May 2017
Author: CTFC

Crawley Town are delighted to announce the appointment of Harry Kewell as our new Head Coach.

Harry, 38, will be assisted by Warren Feeney, who is taking up the role as Assistant Coach.

During a glittering playing career in England and abroad, Sydney-born Harry played in two Champions League finals for Liverpool and two World Cup finals for Australia.

He came to England in 1995 and within a year was making his first-team debut for Leeds United in the Premier League.

In 2000, Kewell was named PFA Young Player of the Year and he had three more seasons at Elland Road before joining Liverpool, the team he supported as a boy, in 2003.

Two years later he became the first Australian to play in the Champions League final and in 2006 he was an FA Cup winner with Liverpool.

In 2007, he played in his second Champions League final and when he left Anfield in 2008 Harry had played 380 League and Cup games in England, scoring 79 goals.

He signed for Turkish club Galatasaray in 2008 and had three seasons with them, scoring 34 goals in 91 appearances.

In August 2011, he signed for Melbourne Victory and also played for Melbourne Heat in the Australian League, either side of a short spell in the Qatar Stars League with Al Gharafa.

Harry became Australia’s youngest international when he made his debut aged 17 against Chile in 1996. He played in the 2006 and 2010 World Cup finals, helping the Socceroos reach the second round in 2006 after scoring in a 2-2 draw against Croatia. He was sent off in the 2010 finals in South Africa against Ghana.

He played 56 times for his country, scoring 17 goals.

When he announced his retirement in June 2014 Harry had played 515 professional games and scored 124 goals as either a winger or striker.

He is currently working on his UEFA Pro License coaching qualification and was in charge of the under-23s at Watford from June 2015 before leaving the club by mutual consent earlier this year. During his time at Vicarage Road, three of the under-23s made their first team debuts.

Director of Football Selim Gaygusuz said: "During his interview Harry showed us great passion - that's need to make this team move onwards."

The new Head Coach will be holding a press conference on Friday at 7pm to meet local and national media. Interested media are asked to email alexstedman@crawleytownfc.com by no later than 4pm on Thursday afternoon to request attendance - fans will be able to watch exclusively live on our Facebook page here.

We'll also have full coverage and reaction from Kewell's meeting with the press here on www.crawleytownfc.com and across our other social channels.

JoyfulPenguin
JoyfulPenguin
Rising Star
Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)

paladisious - 23 May 2017 9:32 PM
Kewell for Crawley
Tue 23 May 2017
Author: CTFC

Crawley Town are delighted to announce the appointment of Harry Kewell as our new Head Coach.

Harry, 38, will be assisted by Warren Feeney, who is taking up the role as Assistant Coach.

During a glittering playing career in England and abroad, Sydney-born Harry played in two Champions League finals for Liverpool and two World Cup finals for Australia.

He came to England in 1995 and within a year was making his first-team debut for Leeds United in the Premier League.

In 2000, Kewell was named PFA Young Player of the Year and he had three more seasons at Elland Road before joining Liverpool, the team he supported as a boy, in 2003.

Two years later he became the first Australian to play in the Champions League final and in 2006 he was an FA Cup winner with Liverpool.

In 2007, he played in his second Champions League final and when he left Anfield in 2008 Harry had played 380 League and Cup games in England, scoring 79 goals.

He signed for Turkish club Galatasaray in 2008 and had three seasons with them, scoring 34 goals in 91 appearances.

In August 2011, he signed for Melbourne Victory and also played for Melbourne Heat in the Australian League, either side of a short spell in the Qatar Stars League with Al Gharafa.

Harry became Australia’s youngest international when he made his debut aged 17 against Chile in 1996. He played in the 2006 and 2010 World Cup finals, helping the Socceroos reach the second round in 2006 after scoring in a 2-2 draw against Croatia. He was sent off in the 2010 finals in South Africa against Ghana.

He played 56 times for his country, scoring 17 goals.

When he announced his retirement in June 2014 Harry had played 515 professional games and scored 124 goals as either a winger or striker.

He is currently working on his UEFA Pro License coaching qualification and was in charge of the under-23s at Watford from June 2015 before leaving the club by mutual consent earlier this year. During his time at Vicarage Road, three of the under-23s made their first team debuts.

Director of Football Selim Gaygusuz said: "During his interview Harry showed us great passion - that's need to make this team move onwards."

The new Head Coach will be holding a press conference on Friday at 7pm to meet local and national media. Interested media are asked to email alexstedman@crawleytownfc.com by no later than 4pm on Thursday afternoon to request attendance - fans will be able to watch exclusively live on our Facebook page here.

We'll also have full coverage and reaction from Kewell's meeting with the press here on www.crawleytownfc.com and across our other social channels.

Melbourne "Heat"
Aus Football Fan
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro

@reedy yeah man!!
Love Ronaldo haaha
Aus Football Fan
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro

COMFIRMED YAY
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/05/23/kewell-confirmed-new-crawley-town-manager

remember watching an interview with him and je was really passionste about coaching and seemed to really love it and appreciate it so much
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Good luck to Harry. Hopefully he can use some connections to sign some Aussie players on loan. There's plenty of young Australians in England who could probably make a move to League Two to get a taste of senior football and really gauge where they're at, so it'd be nice to see that happen.

Aus Football Fan
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro

@lightbulb
Wtf sounds like their being wusses
Its not like Kewell or Gala were responsible for tgoose deaths, thoose small few individuals (i assume thats how mich it was) do not represent the players, fans, coaches etc
Aus Football Fan
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro

@holding yeah, it would be nice if he gave some Australian 18yos or 17yos or young players who arent playing reguarly a regualr spot

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Aus Football Fan - 23 May 2017 10:07 PM
@lightbulbWtf sounds like their being wussesIts not like Kewell or Gala were responsible for tgoose deaths, thoose small few individuals (i assume thats how mich it was) do not represent the players, fans, coaches etc

Stop being ignorant, they are rivals because of the incident and Kewell later went on to play for Galatassaray. No player who ends up going to a rival will be liked. Made even worse considering he was a player for Leeds at the time of the incident.
Edited
7 Years Ago by City Sam
Aus Football Fan
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro

Ok fair enough. Not being ignorant
Just a shame that the actions of a few make the whole of Galatasary responsible. Pretty stupid
Edited
7 Years Ago by Aus Football Fan
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

JoyfulPenguin - 23 May 2017 9:58 PM
paladisious - 23 May 2017 9:32 PM

Melbourne "Heat"

They went cold pretty quick lol
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

good luck to him.

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Interesting he's decided to grit it out at the lower league club before waiting for a chance at a bigger/better club.
Good luck to him
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hope they have a decent pitch.

Some of the British pitches get too muddy to play football in mid winter.

The new underground heated ones are much better.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Decentric - 24 May 2017 9:11 AM
Hope they have a decent pitch.

Some of the British pitches get too muddy to play football in mid winter.

The new underground heated ones are much better.

Doubt it, the club won't have that much money to keep the pitch in good shape by the time they hit mid winter.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

aussie pride - 24 May 2017 7:55 AM
Interesting he's decided to grit it out at the lower league club before waiting for a chance at a bigger/better club.
Good luck to him

Yes, I agree. There has been a lot of poor publicity for Harry during his career, most of it ill-informed. Hope he does well. He hasn't been afraid of hard work and should make a decent fist of it.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Harry Kewell: The Games That Changed My Life

Strewth! Kewell has just been named as the new manager of Crawley. The former Leeds, Liverpool and Australia man selects the four most significant matches of his career

MARCH 30, 1996: LEEDS 0-1 MIDDLESBROUGH

When I played, I thought: ‘Oh my God, I want some more of this

This was my debut, at 17. I was called into a meeting with great players like Gary Speed and Gary McAllister, then learned I was in the team and everyone congratulated me. Moments like that are priceless. When I played, I thought: ‘Oh my God, I want some more of this.’

NOVEMBER 16, 2005: AUSTRALIA 1-0 URUGUAY (4-2 PENALTIES)

We qualified for a first World Cup since 1974. After we lost the first leg 1-0, Guus Hiddink benched me. Within 30 minutes I was on. We scored and then won the shootout. When John Aloisi scored the final penalty, I stood, arms raised, and saw the crowd cheer. I won’t forget it.

JUNE 22, 2006: CROATIA 2-2 AUSTRALIA

To score the goal that put my country into the last 16 of the World Cup for the first time was an amazing feeling

To score the goal that put my country into the last 16 of the World Cup for the first time was an amazing feeling. We went behind twice but rallied and deserved to go through. Graham Poll showed one of the Croatia players three yellow cards and then disallowed our third goal, but we got there in the end!

APRIL 12, 2014: MELBOURNE HEART 2-3 WESTERN SYDNEY WANDERERS

This was my final game. You never want to give it up, but I was picking up niggly injuries. Finishing my career in my home country, and being able to walk out with my four kids to a guard of honour, was something special.

Harry Kewell

Kewell waves goodbye to the game in 2014

This feature originally appeared in the October 2016 issue of FourFourTwo. Subscribe!
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/sg/features/harry-kewell-games-changed-my-life

Aus Football Fan
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro

What a great articule
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

If it had been a top 5, I would hope Harry would remember his debut goal for the Socceroos, scored against Iran, in Iran, in front of about 100k spectators.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

scott21 - 24 May 2017 7:09 PM

APRIL 12, 2014: MELBOURNE HEART 2-3 WESTERN SYDNEY WANDERERS

This was my final game. You never want to give it up, but I was picking up niggly injuries. Finishing my career in my home country, and being able to walk out with my four kids to a guard of honour, was something special.

Harry Kewell

Kewell waves goodbye to the game in 2014

So many adoring fans seeing off their club legend.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

paladisious - 23 May 2017 9:30 PM
Confirmed by the club:

Great beard.

Member since 2008.

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Crawley is very handy to Gatwick Airport, for a quick escape!
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Good on him. Hope he succeeds.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Auz Football Fan
Auz Football Fan
Under 7s
Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)

Maybe he can get one of his old leeds team mates to be his asstistent like Kieron Dier and Quinten Fortune?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search