Hyundai A-league attendance Season 2017/18

Hyundai A-league attendance Season 2017/18

Author
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Waz - 17 Oct 2017 9:13 AM
The 11,284 fans in attendance at SFC was the lowest figure for a defending champion’s first home match of the season in A-League history, succeeding the previous mark of 12,106 Sydney FC also set in the 2010-11 season.

On the positive side though, it is the highest attendance for a Sunday 7pm game.

Beaten by Eldar

ceagle
ceagle
Hacker
Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)

scott21 - 16 Oct 2017 10:43 PM

ROAR managing director Mark Kingsman has blamed the timeslot and Adelaide United’s alleged lack of drawing power for the disappointing attendance at the club’s first home game of the A-League season.

Just 11,178 people watched at Suncorp Stadium as the Roar continued their ordinary start to the campaign with a 2-1 loss to the Reds last Friday night.

The attendance, which would have been lower if not for more than 2500 free tickets being offered to a host of local clubs, was down on last season’s regular season home crowd average of 13,892.

Kingsman admitted the club had to “work through” the problem to help ensure a bigger crowd on Sunday when the Roar are again at Suncorp Stadium against the visiting Newcastle Jets.

“It’s a concern … (but) Sunday’s going to be better for us,” Kingsman said.

“The (6.50pm) kick-off time is never easy on a Friday and no disrespect to Adelaide but if we would have had a Melbourne Victory or a Sydney, we would have had a bigger number there.”

Brisbane Roar blame Adelaide United drawing power for poor A-League crowd numbers | The Courier-Mail

Based on the comments in the match thread, the general view was that there were nothing like 11k there. Didn't look anything like it on tv even allowing for the fact more people sit on the tv cameras side.

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
bohemia - 17 Oct 2017 6:16 AM
The  NJ twitter says 14,833. 

Lawrie McKinna has now confirmed that the crowd was 14,833. 

And out of them, 6500 were "free", and by "free" I mean they had a $5 ticketjerk handling fee. 
Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

ceagle - 17 Oct 2017 9:41 PM

Based on the comments in the match thread, the general view was that there were nothing like 11k there. Didn't look anything like it on tv even allowing for the fact more people sit on the tv cameras side.

Its funny that 11k at Hindmarsh would not get critisism but 11k at suncorp does. Its always going to look empty, even with 18 k plus it still does, even at the game. I was at the game and 11k seems about right, would hardly take comments from the match day thread as any true indication of the crowd. It was an par with what brisbane normally get for Adelaide, not really a crowd puller, no rivalry as such.

primtech
primtech
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)

LOL every season you pop up with this conspiracy theory and every season you are wrong. 11k was spot on FFS. Did you even watch the game? :laugh::laugh:
primtech
primtech
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)Hardcore Fan (193 reputation)

For perspective, our last 10 games against Adelaide have fluctuated quite a bit (Even when we were dominating the league those years it jumped up and down) So the figure we had last friday wasn't out of the normal at all, i don't know why people are surprised.

2010-11 - 13248
2011-12 - 11762
2011-12 - 10739
2012-13 - 12856
2013-14 - 17593
2013-14 - 12514
2014-15 - 16195
2015-16 - 10707
2015-16 - 12923
2016-17 - 15605
AVG 13414

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

The thing about conspiracy theories for Roar attendances is they have to pay $5.75 for everyone that comes through the gates - this is the governments transport levy. Adding people to the gate is throwing money away lol.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Waz - 18 Oct 2017 7:00 PM
The thing about conspiracy theories for Roar attendances is they have to pay $5.75 for everyone that comes through the gates - this is the governments transport levy. Adding people to the gate is throwing money away lol.

Going by last year's attendances, that's $1,038,000 extra lumped on the club's expenses before a ball has been kicked.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Waz - 18 Oct 2017 7:00 PM

means you can't do specials like entry for kids at $5 etc.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ Bohemia.

Exactly. And it's a good deal - but I get free transport with the match ticket which would normally cost $6.40 each way. The club should really pass it on but no cide does so they don't.
ceagle
ceagle
Hacker
Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)Hacker (370 reputation)

primtech - 18 Oct 2017 1:07 PM

LOL every season you pop up with this conspiracy theory and every season you are wrong. 11k was spot on FFS. Did you even watch the game? :laugh::laugh:

Yes, of course I watched the game. I'll stick with the majority in calling that an inflated crowd but you stay precious and defensive if anyone dares expresses an alternative opinion. So you think Suncorp was 20% full - you are kidding.
I was unaware of Waz's point about paying $5.75 for everyone coming through the gate. Seems unfair when quite a few people would not use public transport to get to the game.

Edited
7 Years Ago by ceagle
RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

ceagle - 18 Oct 2017 9:39 PM

Yes, of course I watched the game. I'll stick with the majority in calling that an inflated crowd but you stay precious and defensive if anyone dares expresses an alternative opinion. So you think Suncorp was 20% full - you are kidding.
I was unaware of Waz's point about paying $5.75 for everyone coming through the gate. Seems unfair when quite a few people would not use public transport to get to the game.

I suppose being an ex gold coast fan you would be an expert in low crowds. 
primtech
primtech
Hardcore Fan

LOL Jesus christ. You've had a cry about this forever for whatever tinfoil hat wearing, softcock reason. What majority? Its only YOU. I've attended well over 100 events at Suncorp and would happily put my life on it have being 11k (which is a sub par attendance)

The thing with Roar games is the crowd disperses quite differently among the available seating depending on the time of game and promos etc, sometimes GA at the Milton end will be full and Eastern Stand will be sparse, sometimes Eastern Stand will be much fuller and GA empty. The western stand (non camera view) is always where majority of members are due to being out of sun for arvo games ( and the fact that half of the Eastern stand is stadium members, who don't show up much to Roar games anyway.) 

Aside from the reason Waz has also explained as to why your theory is wrong, the Roar's stadium deals with Suncorp Stadium in the past means they have a low break even figure of around 11000 but they don't see any profits at all once it goes over that figure and could actually lose much more money due to requiring extra security/vendors,(AEG Ogden and O'Brien catering would benefit from this and they'd want to be sure they are maximising returns), so if anything, it would be in BR best interest to actually announce lower figures rather than inflating. From memory they also need to actually pay extra on top of the transport fee if the game requires traffic control for shutting down Caxton Street after games (generally for crowds over 15000). 

But you keep on living the delusion pal. Whatever keeps you going.
ceagle
ceagle
Hacker

primtech - 19 Oct 2017 5:23 PM

LOL Jesus christ. You've had a cry about this forever for whatever tinfoil hat wearing, softcock reason. What majority? Its only YOU. I've attended well over 100 events at Suncorp and would happily put my life on it have being 11k (which is a sub par attendance)

The thing with Roar games is the crowd disperses quite differently among the available seating depending on the time of game and promos etc, sometimes GA at the Milton end will be full and Eastern Stand will be sparse, sometimes Eastern Stand will be much fuller and GA empty. The western stand (non camera view) is always where majority of members are due to being out of sun for arvo games ( and the fact that half of the Eastern stand is stadium members, who don't show up much to Roar games anyway.) 

Aside from the reason Waz has also explained as to why your theory is wrong, the Roar's stadium deals with Suncorp Stadium in the past means they have a low break even figure of around 11000 but they don't see any profits at all once it goes over that figure and could actually lose much more money due to requiring extra security/vendors,(AEG Ogden and O'Brien catering would benefit from this and they'd want to be sure they are maximising returns), so if anything, it would be in BR best interest to actually announce lower figures rather than inflating. From memory they also need to actually pay extra on top of the transport fee if the game requires traffic control for shutting down Caxton Street after games (generally for crowds over 15000). 

But you keep on living the delusion pal. Whatever keeps you going.

Defensive much? I accept that Roar supporters don't like to admit that they are watching their team playing in front of shit crowds, I used to be the same with GCU but I don't think we inflated them. Not much point while Palmer was playing his games.
Read the match thread and you'll see I wasn't the only one who thought the crowd was poor and not near 11k.
Anyway good luck for the weekend.

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Ade v Mel - 19416 (Source: HUN)
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

bohemia - 20 Oct 2017 10:53 PM
Ade v Mel - 19416 (Source: HUN)

Felt like 5k. Its a shame cos the same crowd at Hindmarsh would have been insane.

bohemia
bohemia
World Class

TheSelectFew - 20 Oct 2017 11:11 PM
bohemia - 20 Oct 2017 10:53 PM

Felt like 5k. Its a shame cos the same crowd at Hindmarsh would have been insane.

3,500 jammed in over capacity would be exactly that.

But yes, a jam packed Hindmarsh over an extra few thousand in a cavernous pit any old day. I doubt the club comes out ahead financially either, assuming Adelaide Oval is more expensive to rent than a 16k boutique. 

May as well schedule the game in the bottom of an open cut mine

I wonder why the FFA even puts a value on a slightly bigger number anyway. It seems the directive has gone out to stop reporting the crowd figures during matches anyway. The only "image" the league sells with that game is "empty stadiums" and can't even put a 19k figure on the screens and rely on the majority of fans putting 2 and 2 together that it's double the average.

Edited
7 Years Ago by bohemia
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

bohemia - 20 Oct 2017 11:31 PM

But yes, a jam packed Hindmarsh over an extra few thousand in a cavernous pit any old day. I doubt the club comes out ahead financially either, assuming Adelaide Oval is more expensive to rent than a 16k boutique. 

I wonder why the FFA even puts a value on a slightly bigger number anyway. It seems the directive has gone out to stop reporting the crowd figures during matches anyway. The only "image" the league sells with that game is "empty stadiums" and can't even put a 19k figure on the screens and rely on the majority of fans putting 2 and 2 together that it's double the average.

FFA and Adelaide sell their souls for $2.

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Seating doesn't work like that

Tickets have different prices - Cat A, B, C, General, Restricted view, Corporate etc...

In a big stadium there are more General tickets which means more casual fans. If the game was played at a smaller venue you wouldn't have had the same attendance because you are assuming people wanting General would have paid a higher price

This is why Etihad will always get more people than AAMI

Last night's game would have been about 13k-14k if played at Hindmarsh

When you look at stadium seating you need to look at % of capacity instead of total seats. This is why people's wet dreams here of boutique stadiums will never work

Edited
7 Years Ago by bluebird
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

bluebird - 21 Oct 2017 7:21 AM

Seating doesn't work like that

Tickets have different prices - Cat A, B, C, General, Restricted view, Corporate etc...

In a big stadium there are more General tickets which means more casual fans. If the game was played at a smaller venue you wouldn't have had the same attendance because you are assuming people wanting General would have paid a higher price

This is why Etihad will always get more people than AAMI

Last night's game would have been about 13k-14k if played at Hindmarsh

When you look at stadium seating you need to look at % of capacity instead of total seats. This is why people's wet dreams here of boutique stadiums will never work

I agree regarding your percentage argument. 

However to suggest you'd rather be at an oval 30-50 metres away from the game is insane. 

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 21 Oct 2017 8:13 AM
bluebird - 21 Oct 2017 7:21 AM

I agree regarding your percentage argument. 

However to suggest you'd rather be at an oval 30-50 metres away from the game is insane. 

But that's the reality of a central metropolitan society

Every major city is built around a network of roads, businesses and public transport systems

A critical part of the match at experience is ease of access to the venue. Etihad has always worked for MV because for regional fans it means a short walk from the train station

Venues aren't cheap to build. Usually they are built around the needs of a lot of tenants so there is actually a good return on investment. In the southern states where its AFL / Cricket that means ovals. In the northern states we can have decent rectangular stadia

I agree being far away from the action can sour the experience but its a small price to save 1/2 hour to an hour both ways of the match day journey

There just isn't the demand to rework major metropolitan areas and build a network around a 20k seater stadium just so our poor attendances can look less poor. Out of every obstacle our code needs to overcome over the next decade or two this would rate as a non priority

Football fans just have to learn to deal with major venues. That was part of becoming a mainstream sport

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

bluebird - 21 Oct 2017 9:20 AM
TheSelectFew - 21 Oct 2017 8:13 AM

But that's the reality of a central metropolitan society

Every major city is built around a network of roads, businesses and public transport systems

A critical part of the match at experience is ease of access to the venue. Etihad has always worked for MV because for regional fans it means a short walk from the train station

Venues aren't cheap to build. Usually they are built around the needs of a lot of tenants so there is actually a good return on investment. In the southern states where its AFL / Cricket that means ovals. In the northern states we can have decent rectangular stadia

I agree being far away from the action can sour the experience but its a small price to save 1/2 hour to an hour both ways of the match day journey

There just isn't the demand to rework major metropolitan areas and build a network around a 20k seater stadium just so our poor attendances can look less poor. Out of every obstacle our code needs to overcome over the next decade or two this would rate as a non priority

Football fans just have to learn to deal with major venues. That was part of becoming a mainstream sport

Oh I see what you mean. Agree on that front. You are obviously from the west like I am. Accessing Etihad is easier but you could argue that for those in the north and the east it's easier for them. 

bohemia
bohemia
World Class

city v wellington 9091 (source HUN)
Waz
Waz
Legend

9,091 at City/Nix
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Now that's a clear fudge as no way that was identical to round 1
Waz
Waz
Legend

34,810 for the Derby
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Hopefully FFA is getting the message
No Totti No Party
No Totti No Party
Amateur
Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)Amateur (513 reputation)

Waz - 21 Oct 2017 8:09 PM
9,091 at City/Nix

What's City's break even point? Is it 15k like most of the league?
bohemia - 21 Oct 2017 9:45 PM
Hopefully FFA is getting the message

I don't know why we have this obsession that anything less than 100% capacity is a failure.  Our average crowds are better minus like 5 top leagues in Europe

bohemia
bohemia
World Class

No Totti No Party - 21 Oct 2017 9:58 PM

I don't know why we have this obsession that anything less than 100% capacity is a failure.  Our average crowds are better minus like 5 top leagues in Europe

League attendance is tracking for 10% decline this season. It's  a problem.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

No Totti No Party - 21 Oct 2017 9:58 PM

Add up cumulative attendance and it is significantly less than a lot.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search