The "let's hang the bishop" vigilante bandwagon

The "let's hang the bishop" vigilante bandwagon

Author
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 11:42 AM
Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 11:38 AM

Eastern Orthodox! 

Syriac, Coptic and Antioch Orthodox Church to be precise.  

Very good.  Now we can get down to brass tacks.

Before that though you haven't answered the question above.

Member since 2008.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Davide82 - 28 Jul 2017 11:42 AM
mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 11:19 AM

I have an interest in religion (in a historical sense more than from a belief standpoint) and know as much about Christianity and the writings as quite probably a lot of church goers do. I am even confirmed for what it's worth(nothing). I am well read in many fields but I certainly do not claim to be an expert in one. I have also questioned many many times my beliefs, on an almost daily basis. I haven't travelled to what you would deem a holy site butr neither have most christians so is clearly not usually a requirement for faith despite ity being the one thing you persist in trying to "get" others on.

None of what you replied and none of what i am writing now changes what i wrote. 

Can you honestly and factually tell me "misery is at an all time high" or that "bullying happens more now" (as opposed to it being reported more now possibly)?

Can you refute my point that "divorce happens more now" in at least some small part because you shouldn't have to accept infidelity and abuse simply because your community would shun you if you left etc etc?

You did not answer a single thing i wrote to you and just claimed i need to visit holy sites and read philosophy.

No that is worth something. Having an interest is a start and well done. And you probably do know more than many Church goers.

Going to church isn't about knowing everything there is to know though. I am sure God doesn't care about that.

What is important is the attempt and the trying to improve yourself. 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 11:43 AM

Very good.  Now we can get down to brass tacks.

Before that though you haven't answered the question above.

I believe so and to the best of my ability. 

You asked if I was born into Islam I would be different. Well I am glad I wasn't.

I consider myself very blessed to be a part of my culture like the Jews are a part of their culture and I love them because we too can identify with genocide and a holocaust of our own at the hands of Islam. So as you might expect, wounds are very raw about Islam, at least for my people. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 11:19 AM

I have an interest in religion (in a historical sense more than from a belief standpoint) and know as much about Christianity and the writings as quite probably a lot of church goers do. I am even confirmed for what it's worth(nothing). I am well read in many fields but I certainly do not claim to be an expert in one. I have also questioned many many times my beliefs, on an almost daily basis. I haven't travelled to what you would deem a holy site butr neither have most christians so is clearly not usually a requirement for faith despite ity being the one thing you persist in trying to "get" others on.

None of what you replied and none of what i am writing now changes what i wrote. 

Can you honestly and factually tell me "misery is at an all time high" or that "bullying happens more now" (as opposed to it being reported more now possibly)?

Can you refute my point that "divorce happens more now" in at least some small part because you shouldn't have to accept infidelity and abuse simply because your community would shun you if you left etc etc?

You did not answer a single thing i wrote to you and just claimed i need to visit holy sites and read philosophy.

That's his schtick.  He won't and can't.  It's just unprovable, subjective waffle.

For what it's worth I'm 'confirmed' also. (Or was.)  I formally renounced my Catholicism decades ago.

Member since 2008.

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 11:29 AM
Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 11:03 AM

But there is evil. Lot's of it.

In our society is also evil. Take the treatment of Cardinal Pell for instance. That was pure evil too, because everyone thought it was ok to trample on this man';s human rights. Well sorry, but you can't make it up as you go along. 

I think when he turned a blind eye to the acts of those under his management he lost most of his credit ... (well at least in the eyes of everyone but the church)
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 11:37 AM
Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 11:36 AM

Of course I believe morality is changing. Not for the better either as we have seen in the last 20 odd years. We are regressing big time. There is much less love, cohesion, and unity today.

You have simply fallen into the age old trap of believing the next generation to be bereft of morals and wayward.
I am really surprised a man with your appreciate for history and culture can't see that. It also makes me sad knowing i am destined to fall into that trap and in many ways am already half way there.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 11:45 AM

No that is worth something. Having an interest is a start and well done. And you probably do know more than many Church goers.

Going to church isn't about knowing everything there is to know though. I am sure God doesn't care about that.

What is important is the attempt and the trying to improve yourself. 

Please respond to my post.
Please admit that what you wrote regarding misery etc was just subject nonsense.
I can accept you believe in many of the things you say but i won't stand for bullshit masked as fact.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 11:49 AM

That's his schtick.  He won't and can't.  It's just unprovable, subjective waffle.

I know.
Its disappointing because we could at least have an interesting conversation otherwise
Muz
Muz
Legend

mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 11:47 AM
Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 11:43 AM

I believe so and to the best of my ability. 

You asked if I was born into Islam I would be different. Well I am glad I wasn't.

I consider myself very blessed to be a part of my culture like the Jews are a part of their culture and I love them because we too can identify with genocide and a holocaust of our own at the hands of Islam. So as you might expect, wounds are very raw about Islam, at least for my people. 

So you still won't answer the question because you know, in your heart of hearts, and in your intellectual capacity, that you would not be the religion you are had you not been born into it.

This is proof that religion is a cultural, societal inherited mindset.

In other words you have been brainwashed.

You know, deep down,  that your religiosity has been imposed upon you.  Your young feeble (at the time) impressionable mind never stood a chance.

If anyone is shackled by an imposed belief system it is you.  Your mind cannot and will not consider a world where your religion is simply a cultural inheritance inflicted on a blank slate.  

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
And Everyone Blamed Clive
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 11:38 AM

Eastern Orthodox! 

Syriac, Coptic and Antioch Orthodox Church to be precise.  
http://www.antiochianarch.org.au/Iconostasis.aspx

Is that the left or right leg ?

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

sokorny - 28 Jul 2017 11:50 AM
mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 11:29 AM

I think when he turned a blind eye to the acts of those under his management he lost most of his credit ... (well at least in the eyes of everyone but the church)

We will see about that. 

He as far as I know, was also the first to actually act wherever he could whenever he became aware of concrete evidence of abuse. Might no be enough for some, but in some ways he could be one of the pioneers of change. 

This will all come out in the wash and can't comment till then because I do not know enough of the facts yet. 
Muz
Muz
Legend

Davide82 - 28 Jul 2017 11:55 AM

I know.
Its disappointing because we could at least have an interesting conversation otherwise

Anyway I've wasted enough time.  Evangelically blinded adherents are impossible to converse with.  You may as well argue with a creationist.

Edit:  I realise my arguments will never sway him.  Most of my posts are aimed at those that question their beliefs or are seeking a more rigorous, intellectual analysis of the who, whys and what's of why they believe something.

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

For what it's worth I'm 'confirmed' also. (Or was.)  I formally renounced my Catholicism decades ago.

There is nothing subjective about it. It is actually historical fact. 
I feel very sad for you though. And my offer still stands. What you do with the information afterwards is up to you because we do not believe in slamming things down people's throats. We believe in FREE WILL as mentioned in the Bible. 

Edited
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 11:58 AM

Anyway I've wasted enough time.  Evangelically blinded adherents are impossible to converse with.  You may as well argue with a creationist.

We are not evangelicals either. You are basically very ignorant and know nothing about Orthodoxy. We are not new age Christians. Christianity isn't a fashion accessory for us or a Rock N Roll show.
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

I know.

So I guess what you posted earlier isn't true.

It's up to you.
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

View from the fence - 28 Jul 2017 11:57 AM

Is that the left or right leg ?

We cross with the right hand. 

When we start walking, we start with the right as well. Just like in the military. 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 11:59 AM

There is nothing subjective about it.

He was replying to my chat with you and your statements regarding misery, bullying etc etc etc

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 11:58 AM

The same can be said about someone with a closed mind such as yourself. Might as well argue with a tree. 

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 11:56 AM
mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 11:47 AM

So you still won't answer the question because you know, in your heart of hearts, and in your intellectual capacity, that you would not be the religion you are had you not been born into it.

This is proof that religion is a cultural, societal inherited mindset.

In other words you have been brainwashed.

You know, deep down,  that your religiosity has been imposed upon you.  Your young feeble (at the time) impressionable mind never stood a chance.

If anyone is shackled by an imposed belief system it is you.  Your mind cannot and will not consider a world where your religion is simply a cultural inheritance inflicted on a blank slate.  

Delete

Edited
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 12:02 PM

So I guess what you posted earlier isn't true.

It's up to you.

What I posted is 100% true and so is the fact that it is disappointing you refuse to reply to questions and admit that much of what you said in the post i first responded to was subjective nonsense. A conversation can't be had with someone who blocks their ears when it is not their turn
Muz
Muz
Legend

Davide82 - 28 Jul 2017 12:06 PM

What I posted is 100% true and so is the fact that it is disappointing you refuse to reply to questions and admit that much of what you said in the post i first responded to was subjective nonsense. A conversation can't be had with someone who blocks their ears when it is not their turn

The fact he won't answer my question is all the information you need to see his intellectual honesty is in tatters.

Member since 2008.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Anyway, back to the topic.

Cardinal Pell's trial isn't about his alleged inaction as Bishop of The Australian Archdiocese. The whole point of these charges is because the authorities have recieved statements of allegations implicating him to Sexual Abuse as well.

Now, I want to see the evidence to all that. And we will all get that chance. :)
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

It's not subjective nonsense at all.

You are foolish to be so dismissive of my religion and my culture. 

I am not trying to convert you to anything, or convince you of anything, but calling it subjective is highly offensive especially when you know very little and haven't even looked at it very deeply. 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 12:10 PM

The fact he won't answer my question is all the information you need to see his intellectual honesty is in tatters.

I did answer your question. I am an Orthodox Christian. There are over 300 million of us. And we are the oldest form of Christianity on the planet. Much older than Catholicism by about 350 years. We are much older than Islam too. 

Hence, we are probably the purist form of Christianity on the planet. Hence our name as the one and only Apostolic and Catholic Orthodox Church. 

Playing this game of hypotheticals doesn't change this fact. 
Edited
Muz
Muz
Legend

mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 12:14 PM
Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 12:10 PM

I did answer your question. I am an Orthodox Christian. There are over 300 million of us. And we are the oldest form of Christianity on the planet. Much older than Catholicism by about 350 years. We are much older than Islam too. 

Hence, we are probably the purist form of Christianity on the planet. Hence our name as the one and only Apostolic and Catholic Orthodox Church. 

Playing this game of hypotheticals doesn't change this fact. 

Not an answer.  Here it is again.

Do you honestly believe that if you were born into another non-christian religion, in a non-christian culture and country you would be anything other than a believer in a non-christian religion? 

Member since 2008.

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 12:12 PM

It's not subjective nonsense at all.

You are foolish to be so dismissive of my religion and my culture. 

I am not trying to convert you to anything, or convince you of anything, but calling it subjective is highly offensive especially when you know very little and haven't even looked at it very deeply. 

Can you read?
I have never once said your religion is anything.

You made absurd comments about today's godless society "meaning misery is at unprecedented levels". 
THAT is what i called a bullshit subjective statement amongst the others you made regarding homelessness, bullying and divorce.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Davide82 - 28 Jul 2017 12:23 PM
mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 12:12 PM

Can you read?
I have never once said your religion is anything.

You made absurd comments about today's godless society "meaning misery is at unprecedented levels". 
THAT is what i called a bullshit subjective statement amongst the others you made regarding homelessness, bullying and divorce.

OH no worries.

But yes, I am afraid I will have to disagree with you about the merits and moral evolution of today's society. All we got today is a lot of window dressing which doesn't address any of the issues of suicide. mental illness, divorces, broken families, and the disintegration of community.  A lot of talk, but no substance. 

There is no community. You don't have a community. 

My church isn't window dressing. It tackles the issues society doesn't know how to tackle. 
Edited
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 12:20 PM
mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 12:14 PM

Not an answer.  Here it is again.

Do you honestly believe that if you were born into another non-christian religion, in a non-christian culture and country you would be anything other than a believer in a non-christian religion? 

I wouldn't have a problem being born into Judaism. The moral codes are thus the exact same as ours pretty much, and so are their family units and cohesiveness, and they too are rich in culture and very nurturing. 

Edited
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 12:27 PM
Davide82 - 28 Jul 2017 12:23 PM

OH no worries.

But yes, I am afraid I will have to disagree with you about the merits and moral evolution of today's society. All we got today is a lot of window dressing which doesn't address any of the issues of suicide. mental illness, divorces, broken families, and the disintegration of community.

There is no community. You don't have a community. 

Don't I? aha fair enough. 

So again,
Is misery at an all time high and how do you measure the difference in misery levels between Perth 2017 and Judea 527BC?

Is there more bullying in the workplace now or is it reported more?

Is there more homelessness now in Adelaide or in the holy land now or at any point in the godliness of history?

Is the rate of divorce being higher now at least in some part due to the fact in the past a man could take lovers and smack his wife into submission and if she left she would be shunned by her "community"?

Is there more mental illness now than in the past or is it mis/over/wrongly diagnosed now and just more labels attached to the various forms of the human condition?

Are kids now more anxious because of less god or more mass media and social media (both of which sit apart/alongside from religion)?

Are these subjective statements by you or fact?

I want to give you a chance
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

mouflonrouge - 28 Jul 2017 12:30 PM
Munrubenmuz - 28 Jul 2017 12:20 PM

I wouldn't have a problem being born into Judaism. The moral codes are thus the exact same as ours pretty much, and so are their family units and cohesiveness, and they too are rich in culture and very nurturing. 

If I was born into Islam, then it's off to the garden shed for me. 

Answer his question.

Why can't you? It's truly fascinating.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search