Matias Sanchez joins Melbourne Victory

Author
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Melbourne Victory is excited to announce the signing of Argentinian midfielder Matias Sanchez.

Sanchez joins the club having spent the best part of a decade playing in Argentina's top flight, on a one-year deal.

A World Cup winner with Argentina's Under-20's, Sanchez was also part of the Estudiantes de La Plata side that won South America's prestigious Copa Libertadores in 2009, before being crowned Champions of Argentina the following season. Immediately prior to his move to Melbourne, Sanchez played 33 times for Club Atletico Temperley, also in the Argentine Primera Division.

Head Coach Kevin Muscat is excited to have added a player of Sanchez's pedigree to his squad.

"Mati is a terrific signing for us," Muscat said.

"His resume speaks for itself. He's been in some very strong teams in Argentina and, more importantly, he's tasted success at club level."

"It's going to be a big season for us with (AFC) Champions League commitments too, so depth is absolutely crucial if we're going to withstand a busy schedule - especially at the back end of the season."

Sanchez, who arrived in Australia on Tuesday morning, is looking forward to experiencing football across the other side of the globe from his native Argentina.

"It is a very exciting opportunity for me," Sanchez said.

"I've spent a long time playing in Argentina, so to go on a football adventure to the other side of the world is amazing."

"I would describe myself as a passionate player and a hard working midfielder. I hope the Melbourne Victory fans will enjoy the way I play and I will give 100 percent of my quality to help the team."

"I know Melbourne Victory is a big club, with great fans and I'm looking forward to helping them win more trophies."

source

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Wow MV's midfield looks good.Milligan,Troisi and Sanchez.Then there is still Valeri with Berisha and Barbarousis up front the pace of Austin.
They should give SFC a real run for their money.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Thought Victory were stacked in the middle unless theyre looking at a diamond midfield? One of Milligan, Sanchez, Valeri as the anchor, and Troisi at 10?

ARNIE= LEGEND

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 16 Aug 2017 3:11 PM
Wow MV's midfield looks good.Milligan,Troisi and Sanchez.Then there is still Valeri with Berisha and Barbarousis up front the pace of Austin.They should give SFC a real run for their money.

It's the back 4 which is the concern.

Broxham Williams Donachie Geria

Thomas

Back up's - Deng and Nigro

Nowhere near as strong as Sydney's back 4.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

aussie pride - 16 Aug 2017 3:22 PM

Thomas

Could Milligan go to CB next to Williams?

Some classy visa signings signed by various A-League clubs this week. 

ARNIE= LEGEND

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

On paper MV are the team to beat ... did I hear someone say salary cap issues... must be wrong .... 
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Midfielder - 16 Aug 2017 3:26 PM
On paper MV are the team to beat ... did I hear someone say salary cap issues... must be wrong .... 

How can Victory have salary cap issues with 16 senior players?

Bloody hell some of you on this forum lol
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators

Probably found out how Sydney got round it last year 
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members

Don't underestimate how big a loss Rojas is. Despite some shaky finals performances he had one of the most productive seasons of any winger ever in the league.  Still need to replace him. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

walnuts - 16 Aug 2017 3:34 PM

How can Victory have salary cap issues with 16 senior players?

Bloody hell some of you on this forum lol

Not to mention of those 16, Milligan and Berisha are both cap exempt as marquees. Broxham, Thomas and Geria (I think?) are all Loyalty players meaning at least $200k of their combined salaries is exempt from the cap also. Plenty of cash left to spend and a couple of visa spots too. Anyone know where Berisha is at with becoming an Australian Citizen?
Edited
7 Years Ago by someguyjc
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

aussie pride - 16 Aug 2017 3:22 PM

Thomas

Feels a bit like Deja Vu from last season.  Great midfield, ordinary defence. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

agga78
agga78
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

We are still a mile off it imo, defense is a shambles, no left back yet, hand grenade at right back and 2 average centre halfs, all our remaining signings need to be within the back four. Goals are never the issue with Melbourne, it is always been keeping them out.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

agga78 - 16 Aug 2017 4:20 PM
We are still a mile off it imo, defense is a shambles, no left back yet, hand grenade at right back and 2 average centre halfs, all our remaining signings need to be within the back four. Goals are never the issue with Melbourne, it is always been keeping them out.

Yes, that shambles of a defense that conceded the second fewest goals last season. 

Give it a rest please mate. 
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

If Milligan drops into defence it is instantly far stronger, maybe Sanchez is the designated midfield destroyer of the team.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Our whole left side is problem. Need a left back and a left winger.

Keen to see Sanchez play though.. Our midfield is sorted, just need a couple more wingers, back up to Bes and a left back. Fill the rest of the squad with youth.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

433 - 16 Aug 2017 4:28 PM

Yes, that shambles of a defense that conceded the second fewest goals last season. 

Give it a rest please mate. 

You did lose your best CB and LB in the off season though and Broxham is a great utility (I feel dirty) but a whole season as a LB won't be that easy.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Davide82 - 16 Aug 2017 4:39 PM

You did lose your best CB and LB in the off season though and Broxham is a great utility (I feel dirty) but a whole season as a LB won't be that easy.

Even though Broxham was chosen as LB over an available Georgievski for two thirds of last season?
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members

A fit and switched on Williams (if he can get there, his attitude and performances so far have been on point) > Baro imo.  

Broxham was actually keeping Georgievski out of the team at LB until the loss of Bozanic pushed him forward. 

I agree that a new LB is a must though if we want to seriously challenge, just don't think the losses are as massive as people make them out to be (especially Georgie). 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

paladisious - 16 Aug 2017 4:44 PM

Even though Broxham was chosen as LB over an available Georgievski for two thirds of last season?

Fair enough, watched way less A-League last season than usual.
I stand by my comments though that as a 1st (and only senior?) choice left back, Broxham may be exposed there over the course of a whole season + ACL.

I am sure you will never agree that Victory possess any weakness and that's fine.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Davide82 - 16 Aug 2017 4:52 PM
paladisious - 16 Aug 2017 4:44 PM

Fair enough, watched way less A-League last season than usual.
I stand by my comments though that as a 1st (and only senior?) choice left back, Broxham may be exposed there over the course of a whole season + ACL.

I am sure you will never agree that Victory possess any weakness and that's fine.

No need to be snarky. LB is a deficient area for our squad, for sure.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro

Surely theres enough left for a winger that can maybe play up front too and a left back?

ARNIE= LEGEND

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

people are talking about our defence and left hand side, but are failing to forget that the centre of midfield was our biggest issue last season. Bozanic was a failure and Broxy was partnering an ageing Valeri. looks like we've fixed this up. we still have 2 visa spots to fill holes in other areas. I reckon we're looking pretty good. 
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

StiflersMom - 16 Aug 2017 3:34 PM

Probably found out how Sydney got round it last year 

Meow!!!! Sour grapes there!!!

shallow hal wants a gal
shallow hal wants a gal
World Class
World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)

I was wondering when victory would sign a foreign player this off season. He looks like a solid signing, a decade in Argentina he definitely isn't a slouch. A season in the mls according to wiki.

Any other news or rumour on player signing at victory?
Tambo
Tambo
Hacker
Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)

See this as a smart signing... but hoping they have a full back and winger still to come. Anyone know how many spots they have left?

They now have 3 quality DM's + broxy who can play a role.

With Asian champions league I wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez is used predominately in the A League to partner one of Milligan or Valeri at a time to allow them to rest for Asia. Every chance he won't be in the champions league squad as a result.. allowing our 3 foreigners to be Bes, Kosta + either a foreign winger or full back - where we need foreigners more.

He can also be used to give Williams a rest and play Millsy back.

Can anyone tell me whether Bes can be counted as Aus citizen come Asia time? From memory he has to wait another year?
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

Another day, another quality visa player. Will be hard for the haters to keep talking the league down right now.
slipperypigeon
slipperypigeon
Hacker
Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)

Crusader - 17 Aug 2017 3:53 AM
Another day, another quality visa player. Will be hard for the haters to keep talking the league down right now.

They will always find a way.
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ crusader

Maybe. But we don't help ourselves do we - remember Max Beister, that other "quality visa signing" who was going to be the next Thomas Broich, or that Italian marquee striker earning over a million plus at wanderers who was dropped by Christmas and gone in the January window??

The A League lacks the global scouting networks to actually watch visa players before they are signed, hell even they lack the scouting networks to watch the NPL in many cases, so we're all looking at players like this and basing judgement on where they come from, what league they were in, what Wikipedia says about them, how old they are, and applying subjective judgements.

A pet hate of mine is when certain clubs make a signing and it's naturally accepted they will be good, while others are dismissed. And yet there's no basis for that assumption. No club, not even CFG with all their resources, have demonstrated they get it right a high percentage of the time. The best visa signings often come from other A league clubs because they're proven and established in Australia whereas guys from overseas are way more hit n miss no matter what their pedigree.

Is this one a quality signing? Who knows, he could be a new Broich or a new Beister .... but we will only know a few months in to the season. Anything else is just wishful thinking.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

<3 Maxi, he signed my jersey haha.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

walnuts
walnuts
Legend

@Waz

I'm inclined to agree, but you can't deny this guy has a very good CV (by A-League standards) - us fans just like to get a bit excited before he arrives, lest he turns into another Jonathan Bru lol.

I also agree that we should all reserve judgement on new visa players to the competition until they have played - far too many variables at play to know if they will succeed or not. Only after a season or two can you gauge how successfully they have transitioned to the A-League.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search