Somewhere along the line, the game lost me...

Somewhere along the line, the game lost me...

Author
Tom Rogics Foot
Amateur
Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I remember as a kid all I wanted to be was a cricketer, I'd set up stumps in the backyard and pretend I was Shane warne all afternoon and into the night, I had a Matthew Hayden bat and I'd hit a ball on the string from the close line, pretending I'd just hit a century to win the ashes.

You couldn't separate me from the game I'd watch all the matches and I was obsessed with it, some of my fondest childhood memories come from watching Richie benaud commentating "2/222" watching Michael Clarke finish of indias tail in the final day of a test, or even watching blokes like big andrew Symonds smash the ball into oblivion, I was hooked.

But somewhere along the line I grew tired of the game, I don't know what it was, maybe its every add being about beer or KFC, maybe its the constant fighting between the players, maybe its that the days of watching my heroes like Gilly, Brett Lee, warnie and co were long over, or maybe its because blokes driving around in a mazzeratti, living in a mansion and earning more money than you could spend, constantly complains that they're not getting enough money.. 

I've tried to get into the big bash, but none of the teams gripped me, there wasn't a team to made me love them, they all seem like fake cash grabbing franchises, when I was a kid I had a "speed blitz blues" poster proudly on my wall, Im not sure how many kids would have a Sydney thunder poster on theirs.

I'm not really sure if I know how to put it into words, perhaps I'm nonsensically rambiling on, but for me.. There's just something missing from cricket now days, and I'm not sure what it is.. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Tom Rogics Left Foot - 29 Aug 2017 12:00 AM
I remember as a kid all I wanted to be was a cricketer, I'd set up stumps in the backyard and pretend I was Shane warne all afternoon and into the night, I had a Matthew Hayden bat and I'd hit a ball on the string from the close line, pretending I'd just hit a century to win the ashes.

You couldn't separate me from the game I'd watch all the matches and I was obsessed with it, some of my fondest childhood memories come from watching Richie benaud commentating "2/222" watching Michael Clarke finish of indias tail in the final day of a test, or even watching blokes like big andrew Symonds smash the ball into oblivion, I was hooked.

But somewhere along the line I grew tired of the game, I don't know what it was, maybe its every add being about beer or KFC, maybe its the constant fighting between the players, maybe its that the days of watching my heroes like Gilly, Brett Lee, warnie and co were long over, or maybe its because blokes driving around in a mazzeratti, living in a mansion and earning more money than you could spend, constantly complains that they're not getting enough money.. 

I've tried to get into the big bash, but none of the teams gripped me, there wasn't a team to made me love them, they all seem like fake cash grabbing franchises, when I was a kid I had a "speed blitz blues" poster proudly on my wall, Im not sure how many kids would have a Sydney thunder poster on theirs.

I'm not really sure if I know how to put it into words, perhaps I'm nonsensically rambiling on, but for me.. There's just something missing from cricket now days, and I'm not sure what it is.. 

You need to watch more cricket on turning subcontinental pitches.

I've travelled all over India without seeing any first class cricket, but the Tests over there have so much action on TV. Crowds are a good size in India and Bangladesh too.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search