Ashes Thread 2017/18

Ashes Thread 2017/18

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
There  is discussion that young South Aussie, Alex Carey, could replace Wade as keeper in  the Australian Test team. 

In the last Bangla Test completed, I thought Wade kept very well.

Gruen
Gruen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Decentric - 9 Sep 2017 1:17 PM
There  is discussion that young South Aussie, Alex Carey, could replace Wade as keeper in  the Australian Test team. 

In the last Bangla Test completed, I thought Wade kept very well.

Not seen him play so cannot comment on his keeping and he no really big scores with the bat. His run of scores backwards from the end of last season, 45, 57, 1, 46*, 18, 56, 0, 21, 36, 21, 18, 46, 2, 0*, 6, 27, 0, 22. He needs to learn to convert those 20-60 scores into centuries, but he is almost certainly has the skills to do so give the regularity he gets to 40 plus. He is 26, so not super young, I think needs to take his batting to the next level this coming season to be really considered. Nevill should never have been dropped and I would go back to him if Wade is to be dropped unless Carey starts of the season with a lot of runs, scoring a century would be very good.
Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

His first class batting average is 25 after 18 matches. I can't see him scoring hundreds at number 7 against Jimmy Anderson. Unless he starts the year with some big form.

Nevill should be next in line for a recall.

Or Sam Whiteman - he has three shield hundreds and averages 35 with the bat.
Gruen
Gruen
Semi-Pro

Lastbroadcast - 10 Sep 2017 8:02 AM
His first class batting average is 25 after 18 matches. I can't see him scoring hundreds at number 7 against Jimmy Anderson. Unless he starts the year with some big form. Nevill should be next in line for a recall. Or Sam Whiteman - he has three shield hundreds and averages 35 with the bat.

Whiteman is injured, possibly missing the whole summer, major problems with a finger, similar to what happen to Tim Paine. http://www.cricket.com.au/news/sam-whiteman-finger-injury-complications-surgery-western-australia-perth-scorchers-bbl-paine-langer/2017-08-16
Without the injury he would have been a major contender for the position.

About Carey, I was meaning Shield centuries not Ashes centuries, although I think Ian Healy's first three centuries were in test matches.
Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro

Didn't realise that about Whiteman, that's a shame. Has anyone seen Carey keep? I don't know much about him.

Healy had the advantage of being one of the best keepers of all time in terms of technique. He was hard to drop, especially when Warne was around. I think from memory he scored all of his test hundreds at the Gabba!

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

For the Ashes, I think Renshaw and Handscomb should be  joining Warner and Smith as certainties in the top order. They both seem to be improving quite quickly.

Khawaja should retain his spot as he is a far better batter on bouncy Aussie wickets than  Subcontinental ones. Usman has the Test record on Aussie pitches to prove it.

Maxwell could possibly do the number 6 all rounder job, but his spin bowling will be less handy on  most Aussie pitches than on the Subcontinent. Cartwright's medium pace bowling looks innocuous to be a Test all rounder. Marsh's fast bowling looks potent, but his cumbersome  footwork does not cut it at Test level as a batter.

Despite his Aussie One day performances, I've seen Faulkner fail too much with the bat at Bellerive Oval in the Shield to be an Aussie Test genuine all rounder. Experts in the TCA Members tell me he has a lot of time to play his shots, but he hasn't scored enough runs at Shield level. His bowling has lost pace too. In the past some of his balls reached 140 kph.

ATM Lyon should be the first  bowler selected. 22 wickets in 2 tests against Bangladesh is outstanding.

I'm not sure who will be fit, and match fit by the time the Tests start for the other three bowlers. I'm not sure what others think, but on the evidence of Bangla I think Cummins is the number one fast bowler when all are fit. He is more accurate than Starc, who bowls  more unplayable deliveries with late swing. Cummins is   almost as quick as Starc was last season. Cummins must be incredibly strong through the crease, because he got real venom out of lifeless pitches in Bangla.

Hazlewood is steady and provides a role nobody else does at high speed at times, apart from Bird who bowls at slower speeds.

Pattinson hasn't played enough cricket and IMO is behind Starc, Cummins, and Hazlewood.

Coulter-Nile has bowled some good stuff in India in One Day,. His speed has been only a bit slower than Cummins at times, but does he have the stamina to play Test cricket?

Against all odds, Wade's keeping in the last Test improved immeasurably. At his age and experience  I cannot believe a player can improve so much from one Test to the next.

Just keeping an eye on the Poms, I think if  all three of our  first choice fast bowlers are fit, and they retain current form, they can make up for our lack of experienced quality batters and Australia can win the Ashes. The pace attack of Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood has the potential to be one of the best in the history of Test cricket.

My concern is chasing fourth innings totals. If Smith and Warner fail, too few of the current players can bat under scoreboard pressure due to inexperience.
Edited
Last Week by Decentric
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Super Fan
Super Fan (117 reputation)Super Fan (117 reputation)Super Fan (117 reputation)Super Fan (117 reputation)Super Fan (117 reputation)Super Fan (117 reputation)Super Fan (117 reputation)Super Fan (117 reputation)Super Fan (117 reputation)Super Fan (117 reputation)Super Fan (117 reputation)

One of the most contentious decisions is who should the Australian all rounder be? Would Maxwell's finger spin be as useful in Australia?
jamesnoblelaw
jamesnoblelaw
Under 7s
Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)

Good series will be held between Australia and England in ashes. I will watch all matches.

Gruen
Gruen
Semi-Pro

Keyboard Warrior - 20 Sep 2017 10:18 AM
One of the most contentious decisions is who should the Australian all rounder be? Would Maxwell's finger spin be as useful in Australia?

Do we really need an all rounder?
Smith, Warner and Cartwright could bowl a few overs if the main 4 bowlers need a break. It is not like we have a Stokes or Ali so we should not be trying to pretend we have an all rounder who is good enough.
Warner, Renshaw, Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, Cartwright, Nevill, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood. 12 man Agar or O'Keefe
Perhaps not Cartwright, but not sure who else. Definitely not Maxwell. Perhaps Travis Head or Kurtis Patterson.
Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro

I doubt we'd go into the ashes with 4 bowlers if one of them was the injury-prone Pat Cummins. Starc is coming back from injury too.

In Sydney (and maybe Adelaide or Melbourne) I think Maxwell would be a good bet.

Cartwright will be a better pick in Perth and the Gabba, especially with his strong back foot technique.

Will they go horses for courses?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

jamesnoblelaw - 20 Sep 2017 8:48 PM
Good series will be held between Australia and England in ashes. I will watch all matches.

Welcome to the forum.

The matches in Bangladesh were quite  good.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Gruen - 21 Sep 2017 12:08 PM
Keyboard Warrior - 20 Sep 2017 10:18 AM

Perhaps not Cartwright, but not sure who else. Definitely not Maxwell. Perhaps Travis Head or Kurtis Patterson.

Patterson averages 48 in the Shield and Head averages 34.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search