Saudi Arabia part ways with coach Van Marwijk

Author
Damo Baresi
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Saudi Arabia appointed Argentine Edgardo Bauza on Thursday to lead them at next year's FIFA World Cup in Russia after negotiations with their Dutch manager Bert van Marwijk broke down.
Source: Reuters
15 SEP 2017 - 10:40 AM UPDATED YESTERDAY 10:40 AM

The Saudi Arabian Football Federation (SAFF) announced the appointment on its official twitter account (@saudiFF) after consulting Bauza's recent former employers the United Arab Emirates.

"Bauza will lead the Saudi team in the next period that includes participation in World Cup 2018 in Russia and the stages of preparation that precede the (finals)," it said.

Van Marwijk led the Saudis to their fifth World Cup, and first since Germany 2006, earlier this month but was out of contract at the end of the qualifying campaign.

"I ended the negotiations. Last week, after qualifying for the World Cup, a number of people were sacked from my staff, which I think is unacceptable," he told Dutch broadcaster NOS.

Voetbal International said Van Marwijk had also baulked at a clause in his contract that required him to live in Saudi Arabia for 23 days a month and seek permission to leave the country.

"I would like to go to the World Cup, because that's why I started this job two years ago. But I will not let anyone tell me how to do my job," he told the Dutch football magazine.

"It appears that success has many fathers. After the World Cup, I notice that many people suddenly want to interfere with the national team and also want to talk about it.

"Those players have approached me from all sides to stay, but I have no choice. Every coach must have the freedom to determine his own method."

While Van Marwijk led the Netherlands to the 2010 World Cup final, Bauza earned his coaching stripes in South American club football where he won the Copa Libertadores with two clubs.

His stint as Argentina manager was less successful and he was sacked in April after less than a year in charge with Messi and co. struggling to qualify for Russia.

Bauza was appointed manager of the UAE in May and although the team won two of the four matches under his charge, including a 2-1 victory over the Saudis last month, it was not enough to secure an AFC World Cup playoff.

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Ange replacement?

ARNIE= LEGEND

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Damo Baresi - 16 Sep 2017 12:55 AM
Voetbal International said Van Marwijk had also baulked at a clause in his contract that required him to live in Saudi Arabia for 23 days a month and seek permission to leave the country.

Fuck that.
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Edit : hard to think of a better replacement for Ange.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Aljay
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Saudi Arabia have appointed former Chile national team manager Juan Antonio Pizzi to replace Edgardo Bauza and lead them into the FIFA World Cup. 

Juan Antonio Pizzi has officially been appointed as head coach of the Saudi Arabian National Team ahead of the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, replacing Argentinian manager Edgardo Bauza who was sacked after only two months in charge of The Green.

http://www.goal.com/en-om/news/saudi-arabia-announce-appointment-of-juan-antonio-pizzi/k3jl4oru03ye12isax6anbef9

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Edited
7 Years Ago by playmaker11
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search