Victory sign three teenagers to A-League squad [Comments]

Victory sign three teenagers to A-League squad [Comments]

Author
FTBLbot
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Pyramid Timmy
Pyramid Timmy
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Victory budget seems a bit slimmer than most years I feel
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Back to top - 19 Sep 2017 3:57 PM

You mean the salary cap budget?

Expect better from you Buggs. 
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

This is why CCM were a force in the league early on

The big clubs spend the salary cap on 6-7 players and then pull a few randoms out of local football parks to fill the squad. Clubs like CCM had a more balanced squad of up and coming talent so were stronger across the field in the balance of things

Its no longer true as with the salary exemptions the small clubs cant keep up. CCM, NCJ and WP have all been bottom four in 3 consecutive seasons which would not happen in a normal balanced league. And makes for a very dull league when 7 teams are fighting for 6 finals spots each year

My interest in the A League is low so TBH I haven't looked at any squad this year. But from quick skim readings another thread it sounds like MV have thrown too much at too few players and don't have anything left for the rest of their squad. Its moot though as I believe its somebody else's turn to do well in the A League this year

Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

If only MV could get the FFA to make a special rule to import a player outside the salary cap like a certain 'teachers pet' club did last year.

Full  trophy cabinet (but yours looks a bit empty) !
Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

slipperypigeon
slipperypigeon
Hacker
Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)

Iknowbest - 19 Sep 2017 4:07 PM
If only MV could get the FFA to make a special rule to import a player outside the salary cap like a certain 'teachers pet' club did last year.

3 marquees and still couldn't make champions league lol
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar
Weekender
Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)

how is a kid who only scored 10 goals in the NPLV2 going to cut in the senior squad?
why the hell did we let go of Katebian?
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Good luck to all the boys, hope they get some good minutes over the season and show us what they have to offer

Yes terrible of me to be supportive of young players and encourage them on their development pathway ... need to be more cynical to fit in on here, but norms are made to be broken :)
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Admiral Ackbar - 19 Sep 2017 4:15 PM
how is a kid who only scored 10 goals in the NPLV2 going to cut in the senior squad?
why the hell did we let go of Katebian?

He didn't show much for Brisbane last season, I understand why now.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Glad we're giving young kids a chance. People always complaining about how youth aren't given a run in the A-League, we're doing it, people will still find something to complain about :)
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 19 Sep 2017 4:33 PM
Glad we're giving young kids a chance. People always complaining about how youth aren't given a run in the A-League, we're doing it, people will still find something to complain about :)

Suppose the question is why do these kids get the nod over someone like Kenny Athiu who has shown his scoring potential at a higher level (NPL). They are 4 to 5 years younger, but still Kenny isn't "old"
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

bluebird - 19 Sep 2017 4:06 PM

My interest in the A League is low so TBH I haven't looked at any squad this year. 

So low that you have to tell everybody on an Australian football forum in a thread about an A-League team 

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I'm genuinely excited to see 3 youngsters promoted. I hope they can make the step up, and with the coaching of Muscat, and the experience of Valeri, Milligan etc, I reckon this will be one of the best environments for them to be able to do that.
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Good to see youngsters given a chance.

Josh Hope originally a Tassie kid aswell before moving to AIS.
fanoffootball
fanoffootball
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)

bigpoppa - 19 Sep 2017 6:23 PM
Good to see youngsters given a chance. Josh Hope originally a Tassie kid aswell before moving to AIS.

Yea Hope is definitely NOT from Victoria. Shows how much muscat knows about his players. Anyone know if these players on professional contracts or  on a Scholarship? 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

fanoffootball - 19 Sep 2017 6:33 PM
bigpoppa - 19 Sep 2017 6:23 PM

Yea Hope is definitely NOT from Victoria. Shows how much muscat knows about his players. Anyone know if these players on professional contracts or  on a Scholarship? 

Pro contracts. Minimum wage contract but full time  pro

sasha
sasha
Rising Star
Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 19 Sep 2017 5:59 PM
I'm genuinely excited to see 3 youngsters promoted. I hope they can make the step up, and with the coaching of Muscat, and the experience of Valeri, Milligan etc, I reckon this will be one of the best environments for them to be able to do that.

yes
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

sokorny - 19 Sep 2017 5:02 PM

Suppose the question is why do these kids get the nod over someone like Kenny Athiu who has shown his scoring potential at a higher level (NPL). They are 4 to 5 years younger, but still Kenny isn't "old"

It's a very good question and one I've asked many times.

Squad size and salary cap would have something to do with it. You're limited with your squad and there's only so much you can spend. I think Kenny may have just got an Aus citizenship as well so he may now find it easier. Would have loved to see him given an opportunity as a back up to Bes.
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar
Weekender
Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)Weekender (32 reputation)

Im not complaining about giving kids a chance.
Im questioning Kevin and his technical staff's ability to ID talent, they have selected a 19 year old from NPL2 who only scored 10 goals all season.
In a youth team that came 9/10 in the NPL2.

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Admiral Ackbar - 20 Sep 2017 10:22 AM

Im questioning Kevin and his technical staff's ability to ID talent, they have selected a 19 year old from NPL2 who only scored 10 goals all season.

a 19 year old, scoring ten goals against men, while playing in a bad team is a good return. 

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

the HAL youth coaches pick players on upside potential, not on performance, so in the eyes of the coaches players like these have more potential to develop than proven performers like Athiu. Also one of the objectives of the HAL youth coaches is to get to players early enough to teach them good habits before the bad habits become entrenched. Whilst Athiu isnt old, he is probably considered too old to change hence the focus is put on the younger players.

key point in all this it is the coaches opinion/decision and often doesnt make sense and changes when the coach changes

floki
floki
Under 7s
Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)Under 7s (2 reputation)

problem is also we victory finished last in the NYL last year

Stamap
Stamap
Fan
Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)Fan (65 reputation)

If Mcgilp gets 10 seconds of playing time this season, I will admit I have no idea about talent ID. The one good thing though is if they are signing players like this, every kid around the country regardless of talent has hope
kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Would be surprised if these guys got much gametime at all. 10 goals in NPL2 is really not great for a striker, though if i recall from joeys games Waring is more of a target man. 
Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar
Weekender

AJF - 20 Sep 2017 11:20 AM

the HAL youth coaches pick players on upside potential, not on performance, so in the eyes of the coaches players like these have more potential to develop than proven performers like Athiu. Also one of the objectives of the HAL youth coaches is to get to players early enough to teach them good habits before the bad habits become entrenched. Whilst Athiu isnt old, he is probably considered too old to change hence the focus is put on the younger players.

key point in all this it is the coaches opinion/decision and often doesnt make sense and changes when the coach changes

what bad habits are you talking about?
Kenny has navigated all the icebergs football can throw at a kid and come out on top. does he have technical limitations? sure but bad habits?

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

Can understand your point, but we aren't exactly producing Viduka's any more. Youth development here sucks.

Admiral Ackbar
Admiral Ackbar
Weekender

azzaMVFC - 20 Sep 2017 2:25 PM

Can understand your point, but we aren't exactly producing Viduka's any more. Youth development here sucks.

To me, Youth Development is a big umbrella, with some things we are good at and some things we can do better.
IMHO, Scouting and Talent ID is nonexistent.
In this case its created a closed shop mentality where anyone who hasn't made it to Victory and City by 17 wont make it at all.
Kenny Athiu, Dusan Bosnjak , Davey Van'T Schip, Matty Thurtell, etc must be wondering what they did wrong...
Don't even get me started on Nick Epifano, how he hasn't made it is a mystery....

Edited
7 Years Ago by Admiral Ackbar
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

Admiral Ackbar - 20 Sep 2017 3:00 PM
azzaMVFC - 20 Sep 2017 2:25 PM

To me, Youth Development is a big umbrella, with some things we are good at and some things we can do better.
IMHO, Scouting and Talent ID is nonexistent.
In this case its created a closed shop mentality where anyone who hasn't made it to Victory and City by 17 wont make it at all.
Kenny Athiu, Dusan Bosnjak , Davey Van'T Schip, Matty Thurtell, etc must be wondering what they did wrong...
Don't even get me started on Nick Epifano, how he hasn't made it is a mystery....

Clear need for a second division, to have that next crop all playing within 12-14 teams in one league. Talent is too diluted being spread across 90 clubs and that supposedly being a second tier. NPL in it's current format should be the 3rd tier, with a pro second div sitting above it.

Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

There is a reason for MVFC signing 3 of their NPL Youth and not only MVFC but all A-League Franchises

Number One; at all times during the Season, a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster must have a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 20 or under.

Number Two: Each Club can contract up to 6 under 20Australian Players on the minimum youth salary (Contracted NYL Players) or national minimum wage (Scholarship Players) these players receive payments from Clubs outside the Salary Cap.

fanoffootball
fanoffootball
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)

Arthur - 21 Sep 2017 9:25 AM

There is a reason for MVFC signing 3 of their NPL Youth and not only MVFC but all A-League Franchises

Number One; at all times during the Season, a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster must have a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 20 or under.

Number Two: Each Club can contract up to 6 under 20Australian Players on the minimum youth salary (Contracted NYL Players) or national minimum wage (Scholarship Players) these players receive payments from Clubs outside the Salary Cap.

So are these three players on Scholarships, outside the Salary Cap, or the three required mandatory U/20 Players within the Salary Cap? I have already asked this question but someone else's opinion may help. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search