Sam Kerr snubbed in FIFA awards [Comments]

Sam Kerr snubbed in FIFA awards [Comments]

Author
FTBLbot
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Disappointing , but i was of the impression that's players who are a part of successful clubs and national teams always do better in these awards ?
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Sams had a good year but to get to the final round and win stuff like this you need to be performing at a world class level consistently for at least a couple of years. If she does it all again next year she'll be a shoe-in but I think there's a massive over-reaction to this
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Leading scorer in an average league, and a few goals in friendlies and they expect her to be world player of the year. Oh the arrogance.
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
When they win the world cup, maybe then she'll get some recognition 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

clockwork orange - 23 Sep 2017 9:00 AM
Leading scorer in an average league, and a few goals in friendlies and they expect her to be world player of the year. Oh the arrogance.

Arrogant? Ok then so just why so many current and former players from around the world are baffled on her exclusion in the list, the same goes with Pernille Harder and Dzsenifer Marozsán on their exclusions?

Why does someone like Carli Lloyd make the list when she's been injured half the time this year?

Justify why the US league is an average league when the majority of the number one women's team in the world play in it? And the Aussie in Sam Kerr is the top goal scorer?

Why they selected 18-year-old Deyna Castellanos who plays college soccer in the US? Nothing against her ability but is she a better than the players I've mentioned above at this stage?

I don't want to hammer you but come on something is not right.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Barca4Life
The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Leading scorer of the season and became all time leading goal scorer in the best league in the world. Also named said leagues best player in 2 out of 5 months.  2nd top goalscorer and player of the year in the W-league. Leading scorer and best player in tournament of nations.

The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Waz - 23 Sep 2017 8:14 AM
Sams had a good year but to get to the final round and win stuff like this you need to be performing at a world class level consistently for at least a couple of years. If she does it all again next year she'll be a shoe-in but I think there's a massive over-reaction to this

You're right. And thats fu-king dumb. Its the player of the "YEAR", not player of the last few years.

If you accept that next year "if does it all again" she's a shoe in then you're agreeing that she deserved it this year. So how is it an overreaction?
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ the fans

I don't think she deserves it this year though, she's had a good season including five good international friendly matches.

Thanks to the poor state of football conerage in this country I've no idea whether anyone else has had a better year but, in a year that has the Euro's in it where players perform in the third biggest tournament I'd probably be looking there.

There's two questions here -

1. Is Sam Kerr good enough to be the World Player of the year this year? I say no

2. Is the system used to choose the players fair? I'd say probably not, but if it was Sam Kerr still wouldn't make the cut. But if people think the system is unfair don't drag Sam Kerr in to

For me the over reaction is this - she's been acknowledged as one of the ten best players in the world and rightly so, she's had a great year. We're missing that point. Is she the Worlds best? No, but she's on her way and the reason the worlds best players get acknowledged for year after year consistency is because we value that in a player, and it's not just a one off

loki
loki
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Waz - 23 Sep 2017 3:33 PM
@ the fans I don't think she deserves it this year though, she's had a good season including five good international friendly matches. Thanks to the poor state of football conerage in this country I've no idea whether anyone else has had a better year but, in a year that has the Euro's in it where players perform in the third biggest tournament I'd probably be looking there. There's two questions here - 1. Is Sam Kerr good enough to be the World Player of the year this year? I say no 2. Is the system used to choose the players fair? I'd say probably not, but if it was Sam Kerr still wouldn't make the cut. But if people think the system is unfair don't drag Sam Kerr in to For me the over reaction is this - she's been acknowledged as one of the ten best players in the world and rightly so, she's had a great year. We're missing that point. Is she the Worlds best? No, but she's on her way and the reason the worlds best players get acknowledged for year after year consistency is because we value that in a player, and it's not just a one off

Waz, seriously, take a look at the wiki of Deyna Castellanos

She's a kid who has played a grand total of 7 senior matches in a second tier league and 4 internationals with no international goals. You may say that Sam has no right to it, but there's no fucking way in hell this kid does. It's clearly political feel good bullshit based on her being 'the youngest' to be nominated and the shit that's going down in Venezuela at the moment.
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Barca4Life - 23 Sep 2017 12:38 PM

Arrogant? Ok then so just why so many current and former players from around the world are baffled on her exclusion in the list, the same goes with Pernille Harder and Dzsenifer Marozsán on their exclusions?

Why does someone like Carli Lloyd make the list when she's been injured half the time this year?

Justify why the US league is an average league when the majority of the number one women's team in the world play in it? And the Aussie in Sam Kerr is the top goal scorer?

Why they selected 18-year-old Deyna Castellanos who plays college soccer in the US? Nothing against her ability but is she a better than the players I've mentioned above at this stage?

I don't want to hammer you but come on something is not right.

^ Spot on.

Also, I saw this post on Reddit:

"Two of the three players should have not been on the shortlist, let alone final nominees for this year for various reasons:

• Carli Lloyd - Has four goals and one assist for the Houston Dash and United States in 2017 and did not make the NWSL playoffs in 2016

• Deyna Castellanos - Not a pro football player yet. On top of that, the Under-17 World Cup where she was a breakout player shouldn't be up for consideration. According to FIFA’s website, “the women’s awards take into account the period between 20 November 2016 and 6 August 2017.” The Under-17 World Cup concluded on Oct. 21.

But the FIFA award for top women’s player has always been like this, regardless of the voting system. Lloyd’s win last year was widely panned, Abby Wambach won the award in a year where she played no club soccer, and Marta was certainly not the most accomplished player in the world for all of the five consecutive years that she won the award. FIFA continues to botch this award because it doesn’t matter to them. [...] If Ronaldinho and Josh Sargent became finalists for the men’s award ahead of Messi and Ronaldo, it would be a massive global scandal, and FIFA would instantly begin the process of overhauling the award’s voting process."

Also, the same comment mentions an article from the UK Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/23/outrage-as-sam-kerr-omitted-from-fifa-world-player-of-the-year-shortlist?CMP=twt_gu

So this is definitely a snub and total farce. Only Lieke Martens deserves to be there. She has to win at this point.

The Fans
The Fans
Pro

This award sounds almost as bad as Australian of the year. 
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

@Holding bidfielder - seriously? Now comparing her with Messi and Ronaldo? Lol.

Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

clockwork orange - 23 Sep 2017 5:23 PM
@Holding bidfielder - seriously? Now comparing her with Messi and Ronaldo? Lol.

Huh? I didn't, I was posting a comment I saw from Reddit and it was an analogy to the ridiculous selection progress that FIFA have used for their Women's Player of the Year. You say that "Leading scorer in an average league, and a few goals in friendlies and they expect her to be world player of the year" is arrogance...then what describes the nominations for Lloyd and Castellanos? Lloyd plays in the same "average league" as Kerr, and has barely even played in friendlies, let alone competitive games. Castellanos plays in the reserve league for the "average league" that Kerr plays in, and hasn't scored at senior international level, friendlies included. How are they more qualified than Kerr to be nominated?

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search