The VAR is a disgrace

The VAR is a disgrace

Author
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Tonights use of it was appalling, absolutely appalling. What scum are responsible for bringing this to the aleague?

Will have to kill this blight on our beautiful game. Nobody wants brisbane to lose as much as me but not like that. If the ffa want to do anything about these plummeting crowds the first thing should be to get rid this shit.

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Didn't see the incident but the VAR isn't doing what it should.
It basically needs to correct the blantantly obvious missed calls but it's becoming a shambles.

I'm not 100% across it but someone else posted it another thread there's offside technology which can probably a clear response in secs, if so that and goal line technology should be a given.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

I had no idea they could go back more than one pass.So how far back can they go.?
If there is an off the ball infringement two passes before does that cancel a goal?
I thought it's purpose was to check the goal was valid not what happened two moves before?
The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 22 Oct 2017 7:51 PM
I had no idea they could go back more than one pass.So how far back can they go.?If there is an off the ball infringement two passes before does that cancel a goal?I thought it's purpose was to check the goal was valid not what happened two moves before?

what if the keeper saves it, then it goes up the other end and the jets score, do they bring it back then? etc. its a fucking joke. the people behind it are just dumb cu.nts .
The Camel
The Camel
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)

The Fans - 22 Oct 2017 7:44 PM
Tonights use of it was appalling, absolutely appalling. What scum are responsible for bringing this to the aleague?

Will have to kill this blight on our beautiful game. Nobody wants brisbane to lose as much as me but not like that. If the ffa want to do anything about these plummeting crowds the first thing should be to get rid this shit.

You're right it's a farce. The fact that North wasnt penalised for a blatant handball in the first half was a digrace. The second half call was completely correct. The joke of the VAR system was the one Brisbane got away with in the first half 
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

VAR should only be used for whether the ball crossed the line and maybe on handball calls. Other than that its madness

ARNIE= LEGEND

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

The Camel - 22 Oct 2017 7:54 PM
The Fans - 22 Oct 2017 7:44 PM

You're right it's a farce. The fact that North wasnt penalised for a blatant handball in the first half was a digrace. The second half call was completely correct. The joke of the VAR system was the one Brisbane got away with in the first half 

Needed the Var for Browns dirty tackles, that was a disgrace. 

The Fans
The Fans
Pro

The hand ball ruling is grey. Bloody hell all the soccer laws are grey. To bring a video ref into a game that has such hazy rules is insane.
Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

There was a clear handball in the utd victory game yet var greenlighted it during play. It's terrible. Is it here to stay? Are all leagues using it if not when. Has Fifa mandated it?
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

The call on Maccarone was correct. However, the 3 minutes it took to get there was atrocious. My concern is that assistant refs will no longer bother making a close call. Why would they. If they don't flag and there's a goal scored it'll get checked, whereas if they flag and are then shown to be wrong they've potentially cost a side a goal.
I'd also like to know how far they go back - what if the goal comes after 10 passes but the VAR shows a hand ball in originally winning the ball?

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Coverdale - 22 Oct 2017 8:35 PM
There was a clear handball in the utd victory game yet var greenlighted it during play. It's terrible. Is it here to stay? Are all leagues using it if not when. Has Fifa mandated it?

FIFA set the rules for its use.  Its not supposed to be used for a handball unless it is a penalty incident or the handball was during play that led to a goal.
99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

It's here to stay sadly. There's been more controversy with it in Italy than here so far so we're somewhat lucky I guess. It's already got it's own sponsor here so think of how much money some of the bigger leagues will be able to make off it.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

The VAR was meant to do away with controversy - but just read this thread IT HASN'T ... North handball? Jets handball? Should have been a red on Boogatd? Maccarone's "goal"?

It's nonsense - end the VAR.
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

The VAR is replacement for Steven Lowe sucking the FIFA cock
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

I think we the fans need to voice our opinions as loud as possible on the use of VAR. If I was to be generous I reckon about 25% of fans would be in favour of the VAR. That would leave a good majority of fans hating the VAR, yet sitting back and allowing this travesty to fuck up our game.

We need to get on social media, Facebook, Twitter and hash tag the shit out of this nonsense. Copy everyone and anyone until it's gone from our game. Copy FIFA, A-league, foxfootball, FFA, #NoToVAR

imonfourfourtwo
imonfourfourtwo
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Did the VAR actually make the wrong call?
mattwinter
mattwinter
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)

Don’t agree at all. Correct call was made, the offside led directly to the goal. Newcastle fans would have a right to be angry if that had stood. It was a clear error and the VAR fixed it.

Could be some short memories on here, but I remember how many shocking calls ruined games last season and how many complaints there were about it. Won’t happen anymore.
Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

imonfourfourtwo - 23 Oct 2017 9:02 AM
Did the VAR actually make the wrong call?

In disallowing the Maccarone goal VAR eventually made the correct decision. I would argue in other cases, such as those involving Rhys Williams in the last two Victory matches, VAR made the wrong call. VAR also did not seem to be used to review the Wayne Brown tackle which should have resulted in at least him getting a second yellow and perhaps a straight red. So there is inconsistency of use, it takes a long time and does not eliminate errors even when used. I like the idea but the implementation is not working.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Var was bad in cricket but ok in league. I don't see it adding much in football unless there is a benefit of the doubt to the ref rule like they have in other sports
lolitsbigmic
lolitsbigmic
World Class
World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)

I also feel like the ref should make a call and then go check with vars. That way the game has stopped. Then he ask specifically what to be checked giving his offical ruleing to revert to if inconclusive, giving scope. You cant just go check everything. Cant just go check after every goal is scored. 
Just add in captain to can call for it.
Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

grazorblade - 23 Oct 2017 9:14 AM
Var was bad in cricket but ok in league. I don't see it adding much in football unless there is a benefit of the doubt to the ref rule like they have in other sports

Reviews in cricket have been mixed but things like run out decisions has certainly been very good. There has been issues with LBW's and very thin edges because of the limitations of the technology and a lack of explanation of the limitations in the way the public and some commentators can appreciate. Also some strange third umpire decisions. Cricket also has the advantage it is a series of discreet plays rather than the more continuous play that can happen in football .

The one way VAR in football should be better than reviews in cricket is in football referees can be out of position or have their view blocked where as in cricket that is less likely to happen, especially with LBWs. Low catches certainly can be hard for the umpire to see. So in football being able to look at tackles or potential handballs from different angles to the referee should be able to improve decisions but I am not sure that has been the case.

The idea of just correct obvious errors or very bad decisions also seems to be something that is not well accepted generally. This is the case with close LBWs in cricket being umpires call and perhaps has resulted in what could be seen as VAR errors in the A-league. Maybe the obvious error needs to be adjusted so they change more decisions, but maybe that would just make things worse.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

The Fans - 22 Oct 2017 7:53 PM
crimsoncrusoe - 22 Oct 2017 7:51 PM

what if the keeper saves it, then it goes up the other end and the jets score, do they bring it back then? etc. its a fucking joke. the people behind it are just dumb cu.nts .

Yes they do. Its already happened overseas. Can't remember where but a side thought they were 2-0 up and it ended up 1-1. So bad.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

End of the day, its still a human being on the end of the McDonald's™©®  VAR call.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Gruen
Gruen
Pro

lolitsbigmic - 23 Oct 2017 9:26 AM
I also feel like the ref should make a call and then go check with vars. That way the game has stopped. Then he ask specifically what to be checked giving his offical ruleing to revert to if inconclusive, giving scope. You cant just go check everything. Cant just go check after every goal is scored. 
Just add in captain to can call for it.

The trouble with this is a decision one way stops the play, a decision the other way would lead the play to continue and perhaps a goal to be scored. If play is stopped mistakenly to go to VAR then what happens. Players cannot just freeze in position and then continue. 
So letting the play continue while there is a review might be better but it does have its own issues.
Both approaches are far from perfect and maybe neither are really workable. 
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

What happens if there is a card produced in play that is then erased because of a VAR decision? 
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

The only technology that should be implemented in football is goal line technology - it's a yes or no answer and it's quick/easy to determine the right result in a matter of seconds. I have seen it working flawlessly in Europe since its' implementation.

We have to trust the referee and their assistants to make a decision - stopping the game for anywhere up to 5 minutes for a 50/50 decision is destroying the game as we speak, and it is STILL controversial as to whether or not the right decision was made.

I'm not some romantic to suggest that wrong decisions are 'part of the romance of the game' but fuck me, I'd prefer the wrong decisions than this bullshit.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

walnuts - 23 Oct 2017 10:05 AM
The only technology that should be implemented in football is goal line technology - it's a yes or no answer and it's quick/easy to determine the right result in a matter of seconds. I have seen it working flawlessly in Europe since its' implementation.

We have to trust the referee and their assistants to make a decision - stopping the game for anywhere up to 5 minutes for a 50/50 decision is destroying the game as we speak, and it is STILL controversial as to whether or not the right decision was made.

I'm not some romantic to suggest that wrong decisions are 'part of the romance of the game' but fuck me, I'd prefer the wrong decisions than this bullshit.

That's all well and good but then punters can't have it both ways and dissect a referee's decision for days on end based on 50 different camera angles, none of which the ref had to start with.

The OTT whinging about referees decision from all and sundry is why we have this abortion of a system in place now.

Member since 2008.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

The VAR is great in theory. However it simply doesn't work.

If the VAR was to stay, I would suggest that they have 10 seconds to overturn/challenge a decision, otherwise the original decision should stand. But then I guess you can't really squeeze in an ad break...
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Burztur - 23 Oct 2017 10:27 AM
The VAR is great in theory. However it simply doesn't work.

If the VAR was to stay, I would suggest that they have 10 seconds to overturn/challenge a decision, otherwise the original decision should stand. But then I guess you can't really squeeze in an ad break...

Said that years ago on this forum when this disgrace was first mooted.  15 to 20 seconds max otherwise revert to original decision.

If you can't pick it up in 15 or so seconds it ain't obvious so move on.

Member since 2008.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 23 Oct 2017 10:32 AM
Burztur - 23 Oct 2017 10:27 AM

Said that years ago on this forum when this disgrace was first mooted.  15 to 20 seconds max otherwise revert to original decision.

If you can't pick it up in 15 or so seconds it ain't obvious so move on.

Agreed. This shouldn't be like the bunker. It's got to overturn howlers not a nose or kneecap offside.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search