If Ange quits...who is your choice

If Ange quits...who is your choice

Author
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
John Aloisi or Kevin Muscat

Who is your choice as a replacement coach
hotrod
hotrod
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Joffa - 16 Nov 2017 6:59 PM
John Aloisi or Kevin MuscatWho is your choice as a replacement coach

Shoot me now.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Terrible thread. Threads upon threads. 
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

There are no feasible good options that I can see, so Ange has to stay. I hear Arnold is the favourite,  but I'm not impressed by his pragmatism. I actually love Ange's attacking 3-4-3 philosophy in theory. It would be a huge step back to revert to parking the bus, which is what many people here seem to want. 
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

Joffa - 16 Nov 2017 6:59 PM
John Aloisi or Kevin MuscatWho is your choice as a replacement coach

Neither. I would go after Bert van Marwijk. If I had to pick an Aussie, I would go after Arnold.
hotrod
hotrod
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Derider - 16 Nov 2017 7:15 PM
There are no feasible good options that I can see, so Ange has to stay. I hear Arnold is the favourite,  but I'm not impressed by his pragmatism. I actually love Ange's attacking 3-4-3 philosophy in theory. It would be a huge step back to revert to parking the bus, which is what many people here seem to want. 

Examples of how well we have played under Ange in tournies:

v Netherlands 2014 WC
v Chile 2017 Confed Cup
v Germany 2017 Confed Cup

The last 2 against top 10 countries with 3ATB.

So it can work and work well against the better nations.

Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

If it has to be an Aussie then it is hard to go past Arnold.

However it shouldn't be an Aussie, it should be someone who has had experience in managing a national team or teams and a good coaching record. There are probably quite a few potential managers who meet that criteria but finding one who would do the job for the FFA could afford might be a challenge.
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

I hope posti continues and i get the feeling after a last minute backdown by the FFA he will. If not, has to be Arnold.
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

hotrod - 16 Nov 2017 7:26 PM
Derider - 16 Nov 2017 7:15 PM

Examples of how well we have played under Ange in tournies:

v Netherlands 2014 WC
v Chile 2017 Confed Cup
v Germany 2017 Confed Cup

The last 2 against top 10 countries with 3ATB.

So it can work and work well against the better nations.

WE WERE SHIT AGAINST GERMANY.
They totally destroyed us in the first half and the second half does not matter because the game was over. 

The other two are much better examples of us playing well.

Against the Netherlands Cahill's wonder goal really kept us in the game, without it we might have been blown away.

Against Chile we did not play to Ange's blueprint. The team was selected from those who were left standing, it was not a team Ange would have selected if everyone was available, and they played a much quicker more urgent style of play that has not been on show since. Troisi had a brilliant game and has not played like that since. Even McGowan had a good game at CB. Something very strange happened in that game but it certainly was not because the sudden implemented Ange's tactical vision for the Socceroos perfectly, it was because they went away from Ange's way of playing.
dr. bellows
dr. bellows
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Ante Milicic
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Joffa you are an absolute tool
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Yeah I’m with Gruen, we got smashed against Germany, they could’ve had 6, especially due to the high left wingback being out of position.

If it has to be an Aussie, Arnold is the best bet. But ideally I think it should be Van Marwijk.
hames_jetfield
hames_jetfield
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Clearly with the suppository of wisdom that is the FourFourTwo forum, a panel drawn from here should coach the Socceroos in perpetuity.

I find it highly surprising and shocking that any of the neckbeards here haven't been sought by the FFA or any football federation in the entire world. The human capital here is being wasted.

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

There should be a national technical committee of 442 forumites who have pride in the way we play and the foreign coach should have to justify the team sheet to us before the game. It’s the only way.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

A collective of captains and former socceroos leading a revolt ;) 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou likely to quit and miss 2018 World Cup

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

scott21 - 16 Nov 2017 10:58 PM

Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou likely to quit and miss 2018 World Cup

So Ange still wants us to talk about this for 2 weeks and get FFA to beg for him and cave to his demands?

The draw is in Russia on Dec 1 and he wants to make public his choice on Nov 30-31? 

Just leave already. We wont send you off to the draw like a hero. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

hames_jetfield - 16 Nov 2017 10:32 PM
Clearly with the suppository of wisdom that is the FourFourTwo forum, a panel drawn from here should coach the Socceroos in perpetuity.

I find it highly surprising and shocking that any of the neckbeards here haven't been sought by the FFA or any football federation in the entire world. The human capital here is being wasted.

Couldn't stay away eh?

Member since 2008.

playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

What you should be asking is why hasn't Ange been offered another 4 years?
On top of that why he hasn't been offered the role of game changer?
By the I mean giving authority to go right through the game and make the changes necessary at all levels to drive the game forward.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Arthur - 17 Nov 2017 8:33 AM
What you should be asking is why hasn't Ange been offered another 4 years?
On top of that why he hasn't been offered the role of game changer?
By the I mean giving authority to go right through the game and make the changes necessary at all levels to drive the game forward.

You get the feeling he's not even allowed to choose where we play, let alone who (for friendles). 
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

scott21 - 17 Nov 2017 8:37 AM
Arthur - 17 Nov 2017 8:33 AM

You get the feeling he's not even allowed to choose where we play, let alone who (for friendles). 

I'd say your right.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Neither should be anywhere near the NT.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Wenger.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5080903/Arsene-Wenger-like-manage-World-Cup.html

kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Strong rumors Arnie is lined up. Don't think he'd be the right choice, nor would it be the circumstances that he should sign up for. Little time to personalise the squad to his style, and win or lose it will be because of Ange. 

I'd like a qualuity foreigner, but I don't think we can afford one which is why we'll have to settle for Arnie or Muscat. 
sokorny
sokorny
Pro

That would be a great coup for Australia ... don't see it happening though.

I personally think if Ange goes we need an tournament / internationally experienced coach. Plenty of coaches out there would take the gig for what the Socceroos offer simply because they'd get to coach at a World Cup (putting that on your CV will bring extra dollars your way next contract).

I don't think any of the Aussie coaches could do a good enough job with the current crop of players or they'd take our football tactics backwards. We need a coach who is willing to build on the mentality Ange has created in the team, unfortunately Arnold, Muscat, Popovic etc. would all take us back to a conservative counter attacking style game (most these coaches deployed such tactics even when they had some of the best teams on paper in the A-League, imagine what they'll do with a team that is one of the worse on paper in a World Cup)
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro

Wouldn't mind if Milicec got the gig - he knows the players and the style, and would be a fairly seamless changeover.
The Fans
The Fans
Pro

Now that we're I'm in favour of Ange continuing.
The Camel
The Camel
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)

Gianni de Biasi
thewitness
thewitness
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Would it be worth getting Laurent Blanc in before the USA get a hold of him?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search