What’s your WC Socceroo Experiences

What’s your WC Socceroo Experiences

Author
Roberts1
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (258 reputation)Hardcore Fan (258 reputation)Hardcore Fan (258 reputation)Hardcore Fan (258 reputation)Hardcore Fan (258 reputation)Hardcore Fan (258 reputation)Hardcore Fan (258 reputation)Hardcore Fan (258 reputation)Hardcore Fan (258 reputation)Hardcore Fan (258 reputation)Hardcore Fan (258 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Well mine started at the age of 10, it’s 1973 and I am taken to watch Australia beat Iraq 3-1 and I am hooked ‘ I love this game’ further games are Indonesia 6-0 and NZ 3-3, then it’s the semi against Iran 3-0 and finally the final against South Korea the 1st leg finishes 0-0 I go home with tears, the away leg starts badly 0-2 down, but a come back sees it finish 2-2, there is no away goals so a replay is on , a packed house at home has us glued to the TV as Australia win 1-0 and qualify for the first time
1977 I nervously watch a come from behind win against NZ at the SCG, then it’s the final round and I watch Australia’s home defeat by Kuwait 1-2
1981 I can drive now but the Socceroos lose 0-2 at home to NZ and are out in the prelimary stage
1985 Frank Arok is now coaching and the improvement is there, NZ 2-0 in Sydney and on TV it’s Israel 2-1 away . Then it’s Scotland and the second leg in Melbourne is 0-0 and 0-2 on Aggregate
1989, after the Olympic Games where Australia reached the last 8 hopes were high, but a 1-1 at a packed Sydney Sports Ground against Israel has us out
1993 it’s NZ 3-0, then Canada 2-1 - a young Mark Schwarzer saves us in the penalty shoot out, then it’s Argentina and Mardona magic and Arnold and Slater misses see a 1-1 draw in Sydney - I am there with 12 mates
1997 the worst of the lot my house is packed and I will say no more
2001 I travel to Melbourne it’s looking ok a 1-0 win , but a below par performance and we miss out again
2005 - it dawns on me it’s been 32 years but it changes at the ANZ stadium with a pen shoot out win - Yes at last
2009 - we are in Asia and it’s too easy we top the group and qualify
2013 it boils down to Iraq in Sydney it’s a 1-0 win and we qualify
2017 the best qualification ever, the Sydney 5-1 win over Jordon has us qualify to the final group, in Adelaide for the 3-2 over Saudi Arabia
Watch on TV the loss to Japan, then the 2-1 over Thailand - stay up all night for Saudi v Japan - it’s a tight win for Saudi so its playoffs
Syria is tense with the extra time win and then the finale with the win over Honduros
It’s been a ride
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search