Can the Socceroos play extra games outside international friendly dates?

Can the Socceroos play extra games outside international friendly...

Author
Tbone
Hacker
Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
So I’ve looked on the calendar and there is only one more FIFA international window date left in March before squads are picked and go into camp 2weeks before the World Cup!
Is it possible to play more games to get fringe players and players in Asia who have finished the season to play games or even European players if clubs are willing to release?
I was thinking games against New Zealand and Fiji or an Indonesia
It would be cheaper to play nations close by and play local Asian/Australian based players!
Then play European players in March offical window before selecting the final 23.
Thoughts?
SpongeBobFC
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

I'd rather players focused on their clubs or sort their club careers out such with moves to Europe.
Managing workload and conditioning wont be helped with extra travelling and we want everyone as fresh as can be for June.

One opportunity is the U23 tournament in January that would give a host of fringe Socceroos a good hit out and i wouldn't be surprised if at least Ante Milicic,Craig Duncan and co
weren't involved to watch and monitor each player.
Thu11/01/18AUCAustralia U2319 : 00Syria U23More info
Sun14/01/18AUCVietnam U2319 : 00Australia U23More info
Wed17/01/18AUCKorea Republic U2322 : 30Australia U23
 There's about 5-6 players that have been around the team over the last 2 yrs.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Some nations such as Romania, Belarus, Latvia and a few more are famous for sending a near domestic based side to play friendly matches in places like the Middle East, whose season doesn't entirely match up with the European one.

We don't particularly have the window to get an A League Roos side together and everyone else is with their club.

Thankfully our squad is generally set and players will need to impress at club level. 
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

You can normally get 2 games in on an international date. So in march its a good time to get a few fringe players in and reward those in good form.  We need to take advantage of that majorly.

Then after the squad is picked theres normally room a farewell match and then we normally get two games in camp.
 Theres normally room for a massive balter in the world cup squad... someone like pasquali (IF he continues training with the 1st team and moving up through ajax) these games would be great for someone to get a few minutes in.

If ange stays on though and knowing his disdain for friendly matches... we will probably get one game a against someone like japan which would be useless to us. 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

johnszasz - 17 Nov 2017 9:49 PM
Some nations such as Romania, Belarus, Latvia and a few more are famous for sending a near domestic based side to play friendly matches in places like the Middle East, whose season doesn't entirely match up with the European one.

We don't particularly have the window to get an A League Roos side together and everyone else is with their club.

Thankfully our squad is generally set and players will need to impress at club level. 

Sweden does it every year except 2016 for about the last 10 I think in Jan. 

Swedish league finishes in Oct/Nov so it is basically Allsvenskan players and players who play in Norway, Russia and Denmark vs African or Asian national teams-  

For this reason the pre season is basically only matches against the same countries and USA. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Tbone - 17 Nov 2017 9:06 PM
So I’ve looked on the calendar and there is only one more FIFA international window date left in March before squads are picked and go into camp 2weeks before the World Cup!Is it possible to play more games to get fringe players and players in Asia who have finished the season to play games or even European players if clubs are willing to release?I was thinking games against New Zealand and Fiji or an Indonesia It would be cheaper to play nations close by and play local Asian/Australian based players!Then play European players in March offical window before selecting the final 23. Thoughts?

I think technically the FFA can call a national squad anytime and under the erms of A-League contracts the players have to play. This is why players were forced to play Allstars. 

But FFA wouldnt do it mid season now. 

I guess you could have a Socceroos A-League squad play against Sydney FC or WSW if the clubs wanted to. Perhaps enough players for 2 squads could be called for an internal match.

He has played 22 games plus friendlies with about 150 different players. How many more players and games does he need?
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

scott21 - 17 Nov 2017 10:58 PM

I think technically the FFA can call a national squad anytime and under the erms of A-League contracts the players have to play. This is why players were forced to play Allstars. 

But FFA wouldnt do it mid season now. 

I guess you could have a Socceroos A-League squad play against Sydney FC or WSW if the clubs wanted to. Perhaps enough players for 2 squads could be called for an internal match.

He has played 22 games plus friendlies with about 150 different players. How many more players and games does he need?

Our team needs as many as it can get. The only worry would be stretching players that have heavy workloads. But players like jeggo, gersbach, mabil would only benefit by getting game time at intentional level. 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

scubaroo - 17 Nov 2017 11:04 PM
scott21 - 17 Nov 2017 10:58 PM

Our team needs as many as it can get. The only worry would be stretching players that have heavy workloads. But players like jeggo, gersbach, mabil would only benefit by getting game time at intentional level. 

Norwegian seasons finishes next week and starts again in April. 

Because of the cap Gersbach cant even get a loan back to SFC if it was possible from the clubs side. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

scott21 - 17 Nov 2017 11:10 PM
scubaroo - 17 Nov 2017 11:04 PM

Norwegian seasons finishes next week and starts again in April. 

Because of the cap Gersbach cant even get a loan back to SFC if it was possible from the clubs side. 

Hmm Gersbach is going to have to sort something out. Minimal football before the squad deadline. He should even look at Japan or even bundesliga 2 or 3.
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
So I’ve looked on the calendar and there is only one more FIFA international window date left in March before squads are picked and go into camp 2weeks before the World Cup!Is it possible to play more games to get fringe players and players in Asia who have finished the season to play games or even European players if clubs are willing to release?I was thinking games against New Zealand and Fiji or an Indonesia It would be cheaper to play nations close by and play local Asian/Australian based players!Then play European players in March offical window before selecting the final 23. Thoughts?

Hang on, off topic but when you put it like that, Ange has taken the last 4 years to get the team playing the way he wants and fluently, and the fluent bit has only been the most recent games.  Really don't need another coach now do we ? 
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I wish a game vs NZ would hurry up and happen, it’s been to long inbetween games and money wise it makes sence.

Wellington Phoenix FC

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

nomates - 18 Nov 2017 1:34 PM
I wish a game vs NZ would hurry up and happen, it’s been to long inbetween games and money wise it makes sence.

Why? Its not beneficially to the socceroos to play a team like nz... and i can't see how money wise it makes sense. Small crowd, its not rugby so its not going to get the theatre goers. 
We need to play an african team and probably a high quality euro team as well as some at around our level.
some guy
some guy
Amateur
Amateur (613 reputation)Amateur (613 reputation)Amateur (613 reputation)Amateur (613 reputation)Amateur (613 reputation)Amateur (613 reputation)Amateur (613 reputation)Amateur (613 reputation)Amateur (613 reputation)Amateur (613 reputation)Amateur (613 reputation)

SpongeBobFC - 17 Nov 2017 9:37 PM
I'd rather players focused on their clubs or sort their club careers out such with moves to Europe.
Managing workload and conditioning wont be helped with extra travelling and we want everyone as fresh as can be for June.

One opportunity is the U23 tournament in January that would give a host of fringe Socceroos a good hit out and i wouldn't be surprised if at least Ante Milicic,Craig Duncan and co
weren't involved to watch and monitor each player.
Thu11/01/18AUCAustralia U2319 : 00Syria U23More info
Sun14/01/18AUCVietnam U2319 : 00Australia U23More info
Wed17/01/18AUCKorea Republic U2322 : 30Australia U23
 There's about 5-6 players that have been around the team over the last 2 yrs.

This. We didn't use it well last time (despite having better U23 players back then) but this could really be like a mini WC for a bunch of guys.
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
You would get 50k easy from a NZ match, it also makes sence to play them because of how hard NZ is to break down. Socceroos find it hard to score in open play and I don’t see this changing vs NZ.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

its about time we made a second squad based in australia and asia.  to build for the main team.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro

nomates - 18 Nov 2017 3:28 PM
You would get 50k easy from a NZ match, it also makes sence to play them because of how hard NZ is to break down. Socceroos find it hard to score in open play and I don’t see this changing vs NZ.

21k the last time we played nz and We only just got 50k to the 2010 fairwell.
Would struggle to repeat that again. 
Bibi
Bibi
Weekender
Weekender (37 reputation)Weekender (37 reputation)Weekender (37 reputation)Weekender (37 reputation)Weekender (37 reputation)Weekender (37 reputation)Weekender (37 reputation)Weekender (37 reputation)Weekender (37 reputation)Weekender (37 reputation)Weekender (37 reputation)

Italy please. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by Bibi
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search