Study on the effects of travel across several time zones on football performance concludes

Study on the effects of travel across several time zones on football...

Author
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Study on the effects of travel across several time zones on football performance concludes

Published on: 20 November 2017

Tokyo: The Asian Football Confederation held a consensus meeting on the effects of travel across several time zones on football performance in Tokyo, Japan on Monday.

The seven-member panel of experts, chaired by AFC Medical Committee Chairperson Dato’ Dr Gurcharan Singh, deliberated at the Japan Institute of Sports Sciences on several key issues, especially the effects of sleep deprivation, jet lag, injury, illness and acclimatisation on football performance and preventive measures that can be introduced to cope with these effects.

The AFC Competitions Division provided information on the tight calendar schedule of matches where teams, players need to cope with travel across several time zones for international competition and returning to participate in home league matches. One such example was the Australian national team's participation in their first Asian Zone, FIFA World Cup Qualifiers 2010.  

Below is the example of matches and travel distances from the first World Cup Qualifiers after Australia joined the AFC.

Consecutive FIFA Match days used in WCQ R4 Distance/travel time Time difference

6 June 2009 / MD 8
Qatar v Australia in QAT

10 June 2009 / MD 9
Australia v Bahrain in AUS

12,500 km + 7 hrs

28 March 2009 / MD 6
Uzbekistan v Qatar in UZB

1 April 2009 / MD 7
Australia v Uzbekistan in AUS

12,000 km + 5 hrs

"However, even with all possible permutations calculated in advance, the issue still remains unsolved as it is not mathematically possible to avoid travel and time difference effects completely with the current international match calendar and geographical location of Australia,” commented Mr. Avarez from AFC Competitions.

FIFA Chief Human Resources & Services Officer, Dr. Martin J. Vaso, shared his insights on strategies to cope with the challenges of teams travelling across several time zones.

Intervention strategies and appropriate use of medications were discussed at length by Dr. Peter Fowler (ASpetar), Prof. Greg Dupont (UEFA) and Prof. Greg (Australia).

"Long-haul travel reduces physical performance related to football and increases illness risk, particularly due to poor sleep," said Dr Peter Fowler, who has worked with English Premier League club Tottenham Hostpur.

Deputy Chairperson, Dr. Michiko Dohi, spoke about her experiences as Team Physician of national teams during international competitions and the challenge of introducing interventional programs to fight jet lag and sleep deprivation among Japanese players.

The study concluded that teams travelling across more than five time zones do impact football participation. 

Photo: AFC

Source: the-afc.com

Study on the effects of travel across several time zones on football performance concludes - Ghanasoccernet.com

New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Could be a back door study used to justify kicking Australia out of the AFC, or to split Asia into two. Tread carefully.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan - 21 Nov 2017 12:48 PM
Could be a back door study used to justify kicking Australia out of the AFC, or to split Asia into two. Tread carefully.

There's 48 teams next WC. Who cares if it gets split.

Bozza1#
Bozza1#
Amateur
Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)

Me my sons made this video after coming home from a 23 hour flight. It was 6am and we couldn't get our sleep patterns right for a week. I can't even imagine playing a game after getting of a long flight. Jet lag kind feels like being hangover. It's a real seedy feeling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PGYoOya0l70
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Bozza1# - 21 Nov 2017 2:05 PM
Me my sons made this video after coming home from a 23 hour flight. It was 6am and we couldn't get our sleep patterns right for a week. I can't even imagine playing a game after getting of a long flight. Jet lag kind feels like being hangover. It's a real seedy feeling. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PGYoOya0l70

I flew into Paris and then Vichy where I was to do a French course. I was fucked for a solid week. Absolute was off tap.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search