What was the point?

What was the point?

Author
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Ange has basically spent 2 years and 20+ games playing a formation (and probably a few players) that no other coach will play at the WC. 
So I ask, Ange; "What was the point? Was it for your own professional satisfaction (I won't say ego). It certainly didn't make qualification easier. It certainly didn't make us world beaters - not even the best in Asia. And the new coach now has what, 3 or 4 games? So, WHAT WAS THE POINT?"

Edited
7 Years Ago by clockwork orange
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

I thought he was going to win us the WC?

RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Probably less so "what was the point" and moreso "What were the reasons why?" - he answers this in the press conference.

Whether it's good enough for you to be appeased is the other side to the question.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 22 Nov 2017 10:11 AM
I thought he was going to win us the WC?

Yeah it's been a whole bunch of arse hasn't it.

Tell you what though the next bloke in is laughing.  Will get a million bucks to go to the world cup, something most coaches would give their left nut to do, with no pressure at all.

Jag a win and you're a hero, lose and well what did you expect me to achieve with only 6 months preparation.

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

RedshirtWilly - 22 Nov 2017 10:13 AM
Probably less so "what was the point" and moreso "What were the reasons why?" - he answers this in the press conference.

Whether it's good enough for you to be appeased is the other side to the question.

Actually, it's not good enough. Ange knows first hand how tough it is when you only have a handful of games to prepare a side for a World Cup, and that it makes it near impossible to have a side at its best. This makes it even more unforgivable that he'd wait this long before dumping it on someone else. The more I think of it the madder I get.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Back 3 started against Iraq this year. The exposure to international football for many players expanded our pool. We'll see how the new manager inspects and selects his squad. 

99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Fans: 3 at the back is terrible. Brad smith is the worst selection in history. We demand Ange be sacked now!

Ange: I’m leaving the role now

Fans: How dare you leave! You have to take us to the World Cup so we can say we told you so and that you suck when we don’t overachieve.
Funarch
Funarch
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 22 Nov 2017 10:14 AM
TheSelectFew - 22 Nov 2017 10:11 AM

Tell you what though the next bloke in is laughing.  Will get a million bucks to go to the world cup, something most coaches would give their left nut to do, with no pressure at all.

Jag a win and you're a hero, lose and well what did you expect me to achieve with only 6 months preparation.

LOL, people have short memories...
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

clockwork orange - 22 Nov 2017 10:19 AM

Actually, it's not good enough. Ange knows first hand how tough it is when you only have a handful of games to prepare a side for a World Cup, and that it makes it near impossible to have a side at its best. This makes it even more unforgivable that he'd wait this long before dumping it on someone else. The more I think of it the madder I get.

Can't help you with your emotions mate, can only give you the answer he gave.
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Well I for one am glad Ange has stood up to the FFA over their incompetence and basically resigned as a big eff you to them.
How they will manage to source and interview another coach under it’s current duress will be well beyond them.

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

aussie pride - 22 Nov 2017 10:52 AM
Well I for one am glad Ange has stood up to the FFA over their incompetence and basically resigned as a big eff you to them.

Where is the evidence this is the reason? His press conference was all about what HE wants from HIS career etc

That's Ange and nobody should be surprised. He is what he is but that doesn't change his achievements.
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

How they will manage to source and interview another coach under it’s current duress will be well beyond them.

Good to see Gallop and Lowys combined 70 years of negotiating & persuasive skills working so well.

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

tomw
tomw
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Davide82 - 22 Nov 2017 11:00 AM

Where is the evidence this is the reason? His press conference was all about what HE wants from HIS career etc

That's Ange and nobody should be surprised. He is what he is but that doesn't change his achievements.

Also, if that was the case, why would he resign now, just a week before the FFA are likely to be sacked?
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
tomw - 22 Nov 2017 11:52 AM
Davide82 - 22 Nov 2017 11:00 AM

Also, if that was the case, why would he resign now, just a week before the FFA are likely to be sacked?

Also, why would he announce it by fronting up alongside them and praising their support?

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Maybe he's going to be on the normalisation committee 😏
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

He probably had to resign now,as once FIFA take over,it looks like a protest against them.
Alternatively if he resigned then ,he wouldnt have the pleasure of having Gallop (his pal DG)sit next to him.
I wonder if he had his resignation speech approved by FFA?
Actually based on how he left Brisbane ,it is quite possible he left because he couldn't see how to make the Soccerroos improve.At Brisbane he took the players as far as their ability could and he was humbled in the ACL.He couldn't sack half the players and start again,so he left for Victory.
Edited
7 Years Ago by crimsoncrusoe
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

From the press conference I interpreted that he was resigning due to the personal cost of being the socceroos coach. Think about the toll on his family from all the travel around the world watching players. This toll was only going to get worse in the lead up to the world cup and he decided it wasn't worth it. As a club coach he will not need to do this.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Bocca - 22 Nov 2017 12:09 PM
From the press conference I interpreted that he was resigning due to the personal cost of being the socceroos coach. Think about the toll on his family from all the travel around the world watching players. This toll was only going to get worse in the lead up to the world cup and he decided it wasn't worth it. As a club coach he will not need to do this.

Will he take his kids out of school and move them to China, Scotland or Greece to lessen their burden?

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Got to be more to this....what coach in the world anywhere gets a team to qualify for the biggest tournament on earth and then walks away without going to the big show ? It would be a huge tick on his resume if he coached there and did relatively well.

Conspiracy theory 1... Ange ran out of ideas as to how to take the team to the next level so got out before he could be found out....( sounds familiar ...Roar anyone ?) .
Conspiracy theory 2... Ange is having some sort of serious personal issues...(depression, family problems etc )
Conspiracy theory 3... all of the above

I guess the truth may come out in his next book...although the real truth is more likely in the next book .....about him by someone else !
We all know what Ange thinks of Ange .I would like to hear a few "insiders" perspectives

RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class

miron mercedes - 22 Nov 2017 12:18 PM
Got to be more to this....what coach in the world anywhere gets a team to qualify for the biggest tournament on earth and then walks away without going to the big show ? It would be a huge tick on his resume if he coached there and did relatively well.

Conspiracy theory 1... Ange ran out of ideas as to how to take the team to the next level so got out before he could be found out....( sounds familiar ...Roar anyone ?) .
Conspiracy theory 2... Ange is having some sort of serious personal issues...(depression, family problems etc )

I guess the truth may come out in his next book...although the real truth is more likely in the next book .....about him by someone else !
We all know what Ange thinks of Ange .I would like to hear a few "insiders" perspectives

My money's on that.

Dude had his second kid before taking over, and I think has had a third very recently.  Who knows how long he has to spend away from them, but some things are more important than your job.

Edited
7 Years Ago by RedshirtWilly
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

I think number 3.
I can't help but think he isn't well (whether physically or mentally) and he realised it wouldn't be worth it in the end as this team was not going to do anything he would go down in folklore for.
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Davide82 - 22 Nov 2017 12:26 PM

I think number 3.
I can't help but think he isn't well (whether physically or mentally) and he realised it wouldn't be worth it in the end as this team was not going to do anything he would go down in folklore for.

We will see what he does next. Can't see how any club job will be less stressful than playing 3 or 4 practice matches in the next 7 months, then playing 3 competitive matches in two weeks.

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

I wonder who the normalisation committee will appoint as our new coach 😁

RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class

clockwork orange - 22 Nov 2017 12:39 PM
Davide82 - 22 Nov 2017 12:26 PM

We will see what he does next. Can't see how any club job will be less stressful than playing 3 or 4 practice matches in the next 7 months, then playing 3 competitive matches in two weeks.

Love how easy you make the job sound.

Like he's sitting in FFA HQ answering phone calls 9-5 on his days off
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

RedshirtWilly - 22 Nov 2017 12:47 PM

Much simpler than entering a new club job in a foreign country. He'd be spending most of these months just watching matches, not the most stressful part of the job which is why most international managers are literally all at the end of their careers because it is less intensive than training every day, scouting the opposition, watching their matches and needing to deal with player problems on a daily basis.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Well, what is he doing in between spasmodic friendlies?
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class

bettega - 22 Nov 2017 1:36 PM

Well, what is he doing in between spasmodic friendlies?

That's a good question - have you asked him?
Edited
7 Years Ago by RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class

City Sam - 22 Nov 2017 1:10 PM

Much simpler than entering a new club job in a foreign country. He'd be spending most of these months just watching matches, not the most stressful part of the job which is why most international managers are literally all at the end of their careers because it is less intensive than training every day, scouting the opposition, watching their matches and needing to deal with player problems on a daily basis.

And yet the two biggest issues raised on here were the travel required for the Socceroos and uncovering the next generation of stars who largely play on the other side of the world, neither of which made it to your list.

Perhaps being a domestic coach in a foreign league may allow him to have more time close to his family.
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

clockwork orange - 22 Nov 2017 10:06 AM
Ange has basically spent 2 years and 20+ games playing a formation (and probably a few players) that no other coach will play at the WC. 
So I ask, Ange; "What was the point? Was it for your own professional satisfaction (I won't say ego). It certainly didn't make qualification easier. It certainly didn't make us world beaters - not even the best in Asia. And the new coach now has what, 3 or 4 games? So, WHAT WAS THE POINT?"

Not agreeing with what Ange did, but didn't Hiddink have 2 games before the Uruguay games?

It can be done

mattwinter
mattwinter
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)Hardcore Fan (286 reputation)

clockwork orange - 22 Nov 2017 10:19 AM

Agreed... The reason we dumped Holger four years ago was because we knew the team was going nowhere. We brought in new players for the 2014 world cup, and we almost sacrificed our chances in that tournament. In my mind we did that because we were thinking about 2018. Now we've made it to 2018, but we're basically at the same point we were 4 years ago.

This is why I'm hoping Milicic gets the gig. At least he might be able to continue on the same sort of philosophy and we keep improving...
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search