Bobo cannot be cited by MRP

Bobo cannot be cited by MRP

Author
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
A-League video referee controversy amplifies with MRP input

THE controversy over the use of video referees in the A-League has taken another turn, with A-League bosses forced to clarify how it will affect the ability of the match review panel to sanction players.

After a weekend of huge debate over the VAR’s involvement in a clutch of red cards, questions were being asked over how it affects the post-game review of incidents by the MRP, which has the power to ban players retrospectively.

The MRP can only act where an incident has escaped the referee’s attention, but some club officials have argued that where with the VAR theoretically reviewing all incidents, the MRP would in effect be re-refereeing the game if it was to then cite a player if he wasn’t punished during a game.

PLEDGE: A-League boss says they will ‘get VAR right’

TALKING POINT: VAR overshadows Gombau’s win

FUMING: Okan rages as Mariners get offside with VAR

Sydney FC star Bobo was at the centre of VAR controversy against Melbourne City
On Monday the head of the A-League, Greg O’Rourke, clarified that where the video referee doesn’t mention an incident to the match referee, even if he sees it, the MRP can take action afterwards.

But where the VAR mentions an incident to the match referee during the game, it will be deemed to have been dealt with on the pitch – meaning the MRP cannot act.

Sydney FC striker Bobo was at the centre of controversy on Friday night, when his kick at Melbourne City defender Manny Muscat was reviewed by VAR Strebre Delovski, who told match referee Shaun Evans that it was arguable whether it was worthy of a red card, a point of view Evans was happy to accept.

That means Bobo cannot be cited by the MRP, and is free to play in Sydney’s trip to wellington on Saturday.

Luke Brattan’s goal also brought VAR into question
But the need to create such a careful distinction is likely to fuel more criticism of the VAR system, from players, coaches and fans over the time taken to review decisions, and also a series of contentious calls.

Ironically Evans was the VAR on Saturday night for the Wanderers’ win at the Mariners, with two Central Coast players sent off after he suggested match referee Alex King review his decision to give both a yellow card.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-video-referee-controversy-amplifies-with-mrp-input/news-story/b5c172b67ac69ed92601a01c22d0fdfd
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

montywoodpeg
montywoodpeg
Hacker
Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Image result for SMASH robot  animated gif

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Edited
7 Years Ago by Buggalugs 2.0
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Oh well, at least Muscat will miss a few games.

Beaten by Eldar

Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

I am not sure whether to laugh, cry, or put my head through a brick wall. 
What a total fucking piece of shit and surprise, surprise Sydney is favoured.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

@eldar

If you look at it from a league prospective

Strebe said it was either red or yellow, therefor grey. So Bobo didn't get any card. He should at the minimum receive a yellow in retrospect as accumulated yellows during the season cause a suspension. Strebe has admitted it was a card offense so the player shouldn't get away with it.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Well, this is how I look at it.......Muscat walked up to Bobo off play and started niggling, getting in his ear, knicking at his Achilles and Bobo gave him a pretty harmless "backoff". Muscat took a dive, trying to get something out of it. Then he gets sent off for intentionally closed fist elbowing someone in the face.....its called karma.

Yes, to be politically correct we should also punish Bobo for reacting to Muscat being a dick.....but fuck it, karma is fine by me.

Beaten by Eldar

Edited
7 Years Ago by Eldar
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

I guess City fans could argue Muscat was irate that Bobo wasn't sent off after being trampled and lashed out. He may not of gotten sent off.

Many ways to look at things. Most look bad for VAR.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

scott21 - 18 Dec 2017 6:23 PM
I guess City fans could argue Muscat was irate that Bobo wasn't sent off after being trampled and lashed out. He may not of gotten sent off. Many ways to look at things. Most look bad for VAR.

Well, I think that both should have been dealt with by the MRP, and Muscat's should be dealt with as the far more serious incident it was......blows to the head can do serious damage.

Beaten by Eldar

RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Circus
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Eldar - 18 Dec 2017 6:29 PM
scott21 - 18 Dec 2017 6:23 PM

Well, I think that both should have been dealt with by the MRP, and Muscat's should be dealt with as the far more serious incident it was......blows to the head can do serious damage.

Enough blows to the head and your eligible for a job at FFA.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

This is hilarious.
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Something farcical every single week.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

So we have effectively replaced the MRP process with a 5 minute rush job on a football pitch while fans are booing and players are yelling at a bloke standing in front of a 5inch TV to get the f on with it.

One of those FFA innovations we get told about all the time
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Unbeleivable. Never seen anything like it. This league is an absolute farce.
Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Has anyone asked which offence that is punishable by a yellow card Bobo's action could have broken?
It is quite clear that if it is a red card offence then it is for violent conduct, but I am not sure which yellow card offence he could have committed.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Eldar - 18 Dec 2017 6:20 PM
Well, this is how I look at it.......Muscat walked up to Bobo off play and started niggling, getting in his ear, knicking at his Achilles and Bobo gave him a pretty harmless "backoff". Muscat took a dive, trying to get something out of it. Then he gets sent off for intentionally closed fist elbowing someone in the face.....its called karma.

Yes, to be politically correct we should also punish Bobo for reacting to Muscat being a dick.....but fuck it, karma is fine by me.

Karma would imply that Bobo got hit by a truck. Not Muscat coping a ban.

Gruen
Gruen
Pro

Gruen - 18 Dec 2017 8:43 PM
Has anyone asked which offence that is punishable by a yellow card Bobo's action could have broken?
It is quite clear that if it is a red card offence then it is for violent conduct, but I am not sure which yellow card offence he could have committed.

As far as I can tell an action is either violent conduct and a red card or not violent conduct and no action needs to happen. Unlike with tackles there is no clear graduation of penalties from foul to yellow card to red card based on the severity of the offence. The only possible yellow card offence Bobo might have been able to be given a yellow card under is "shows a lack of respect for the game" but I am not sure what it is meant to cover.

It seems to me the grey area between yellow and red was pulled out of Strebre's arse without any support from the Laws of the Game and its use to get Bobo off of any punishment is very suspicious. 
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

The grey area lies between between sky blue and city blue.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

So if the ref has missed it, how does he get notified?...

If that's the case, how does the VAR not notify the ref?...

Fucking lol, talk about Sydney protectionism hahahahah.

VAR spoke to the ref and it's all G.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by paulbagzFC
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

And nothing on the incident of Zullo into the back of Muscat to cause his reaction in the first place! He also went down like a sack of potatoes. I'd be interested in seeing him take a decent hit.
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

So a player has used violent physical action to strike a player off the ball, everyone is aware of it, yet Bobo gets off? Never seen anything like it before. Go back through history of the league and you'll see players punished for this. For example I remember when Novillo kicked out at an Adelaide player, hitting nothing but air mind you, in a scuffle which ended in him missing a game or two. I do take the piss out of the whole Sydney bias thing but this incident has really raised questions about favouritism of Sydney.
Edited
7 Years Ago by n i k o
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

Footballking55 - 18 Dec 2017 11:25 PM
And nothing on the incident of Zullo into the back of Muscat to cause his reaction in the first place! He also went down like a sack of potatoes. I'd be interested in seeing him take a decent hit.

I don't think you can blame Zullo for that incident, Muscat had a big handfull of Zullo's shirt in his left hand for a while before he swung the right elbow back into Zullo. I don't think Zullo can be blamed for going down after what Muscat did to him. 
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro

There's no doubt Muscat was a red card regardless of Zullo grabbing his shirt. Deserves to be on the pine permanently.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

@Footballking55

When you see anything in slow motion it looks worse. You add the home crowd watching VAR and its blown out of proportion.

He was pulling on his shirt yes. He did go down easy.

I'm skeptical if it was a red. He hardly connected.

Show me a photo of Zullos eye. Is it even black? Even swollen? He didn't even need treatment.

Strebres gonna Streb.
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

n i k o - 18 Dec 2017 11:39 PM
There's no doubt Muscat was a red card regardless of Zullo grabbing his shirt. Deserves to be on the pine permanently.

No, Muscat was grabbing Zullo's shirt with one hand and elbowing him with the other elbow at the same time.
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

scott21 - 18 Dec 2017 11:47 PM
@Footballking55When you see anything in slow motion it looks worse. You add the home crowd watching VAR and its blown out of proportion.He was pulling on his shirt yes. He did go down easy.I'm skeptical if it was a red. He hardly connected. Show me a photo of Zullos eye. Is it even black? Even swollen? He didn't even need treatment.Strebres gonna Streb.

I don't care how much contact was made, I don't even care if he missed, it is a red card.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Hey look there are football rules and A-League rules.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

If they can only act if the referee hasn't acted then how did O'Donovan get eight weeks after getting a yellow?  
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search