Marco Kurz looks to youth with Adelaide United squad depleted


Marco Kurz looks to youth with Adelaide United squad depleted

Author
Message
balki scott21
balki scott21
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 18K, Visits: 0
Marco Kurz looks to youth with Adelaide United squad depleted


ADELAIDE United boss Marco Kurz will again prove he is a master tactician certain to give Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold much to ponder despite being heavily depleted.

The German is not only cruelled by the absence of three key men – Paul Izzo, Ben Garuccio and George Blackwood to Olyroos international duty – he must come to terms with an injury list decimating his squad for the club’s biggest clash of the season at Hindmarsh.

Baba Diawara (thigh), Nathan Konstandopoulos (knock) and Vinni Lia (knee) are certain to miss the clash with Johan Absalonsen (thigh) and Ryan Kitto in doubt.

The wingers did not train at Hindmarsh on Saturday but Kurz did not appear fazed by the wretched luck or Football Federation Australia stealing his main under-23 men during the A-League’s busiest time of year.

“It’s not the best situation but it’s only one game and I think against the best team in the league,’’ Kurz said after training at Hindmarsh.

“I’m sure the starters will have a goal of having a good game to get the points against Sydney.”


Ryan Kitto is not a certain starter against Sydney FC. Picture: Getty Images
The Reds did not wilt during November’s FFA Cup final extra-time loss to Sydney away (1-2) and in Adelaide last month Arnold’s side had to sweat for a 1-0 win in a good tactical fight.

Kurz is again sure to be big on active and reactive moves off the bench after last Wednesday watching his side switched on and loaded with very good character after going a goal down.

In the end they can count themselves unlucky against Western Sydney, walking away with just a point in the 1-1 draw.

Kurz revealed he was very pleased his men adapted to a new three-man defence in Sydney.

The Reds morphed into five at the back after having just one training session to adopt the plan after the German this season deployed a 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 before Wednesday’s formation.


Apostolos Stamatelopoulos was given his A-League debut this season. Picture: AAP
Now with Arnold earlier this year saying the A-League should not be regarded as a development competition after clubs had been rocked by under-23s being poached for the AFC Asian championship, Kurz said he had no choice other than to prepare freshmen for domestic duties.

So far this season Kurz has given debuts to Ryan Strain and Apostolos Stamatelopoulos.

He is the competition’s leader in handing game time to under-21 players proving the Reds do have the best talent factory in the country despite severe underage teams restrictions under Football Federation SA’s rule.

Kurz also noted Sydney which is the runaway leader had two extra days to recover from its last match — a 3-0 win over Brisbane Roar away — during this gruelling holiday scheduling.

“I think it’s clear when we lost the three starters for the (Olyroos) tournament, the balance is not the same,’’ Kurz said.

“Also our squad is not so big and not the same quality as Sydney.”


http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league/marco-kurz-looks-to-youth-with-adelaide-united-squad-depleted/news-story/c84d8da909c577142f7400e4f86f078d

johnszasz
johnszasz
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 7.3K, Visits: 0
Absolutely nothing wrong with it considering the youth players have performed really well. This AFC tournament has already been a blessing in disguise. 

Mariners with Welsh getting minutes has been good. 
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Rising Star
Rising Star (979 reputation)Rising Star (979 reputation)Rising Star (979 reputation)Rising Star (979 reputation)Rising Star (979 reputation)Rising Star (979 reputation)Rising Star (979 reputation)Rising Star (979 reputation)Rising Star (979 reputation)Rising Star (979 reputation)Rising Star (979 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 927, Visits: 0
I noticed Lachlan Brook was on the bench last match against WSW. Can any AU fans give an update on how he is doing at the club? He was incredible during his time with the Joeys...a real prospect. One of the most gifted and exciting players to play for the Joeys in recent memory, so I have high hopes for him.



balki scott21
balki scott21
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 18K, Visits: 0
@john

Mariners likely to start Lachlan Wales against Melbourne City

Central Coast Mariners youngster Lachlan Wales. Picture: Troy Snook
Central Coast Mariners youngster Lachlan Wales. Picture: Troy Snook
Central Coast coach Paul Okon is expected to hand rising star Lachlan Wales his starting debut as the gravely depleted Mariners strive to keep their finals hopes alive against Melbourne City at Central Coast Stadium tomorrow.

A local junior, Wales has had just 69 minutes of A-League ­experience — a four-minute cameo last season and successive substitute appearances in the 1-1 draw against Melbourne Victory last week and 46 minutes in the 2-0 loss against Newcastle Jets in the F3 derby on Tuesday.

But with his hand forced through injuries, suspensions and players away on international duty, Okon believes the 20-year-old attacking midfielder from Wamberal is ready to make an ­impact from the start against a City side that have found their form with a hat-trick of wins.

Wales shone when he came on at halftime against the Jets, showing no nerves and a willingness to use his speed and skill, including trying a number of stepovers, to trouble the Jets defence.

The week before he was heavily involved in engineering the goal for Blake Powell, which earned the Mariners a draw with Victory.

“Lachy is doing very well. His performances in the National Youth League have been excellent and he has done well when he has come on in the A-League,” Okon said. “He is a fit young boy and has plenty of confidence. He has ­plenty of quality and it is no ­surprise he has performed the way he has.

“For him, he has to now maximise every opportunity he gets and Sunday is a big chance he will start. If he does, or comes off the bench, I am quite comfortable he will make a significant contribution.

“Lachy is a great story and the fact he is a local makes it even ­better.”

Wales will be one of several changes to the Mariners’ line-up, though Okon was coy when asked about the final make-up of his starting XI. He will be without ­injured Wout Brama and Connor Pain, who were both forced off ­before halftime against the Jets, while Josh Rose and Andrew Hoole are suspended. The Mariners are ­already without Danny De Silva, Thomas Glover and Trent ­Buhagiar, who are all away on ­international duty with the Olyroos.

Further complicating the issue is that the Gosford-based club have had a difficult period with ­fixture scheduling. They backed up against the Jets just three days after playing in the oppressive heat against Melbourne Victory in Geelong.

Now they have a five-day turnaround to the City match.

“It’s a tough situation for us with all those players absent plus the schedule,” Okon said. “We always knew it would be hard with so many games in a short period of time. Our stocks, physical fitness and mentality will be tested, but I have a lot of belief in these boys and that they can get the job done.”

Okon said he took great heart despite the loss to the Jets after playing with 10 men for the last 18 minutes following the sending off of Josh Rose.

“I don’t think anyone would argue that we were in total control until the send-off, but in the end we were our own worst enemy in that we didn’t convert the many chances we had,” he said.

“But the boys fought very hard on a three-day turnaround ... the energy and intensity was tremendous.

“Even down to 10 we still found a little in the tank to create opportunities.

“Still, it only encourages the boys to keep going and, hopefully, these key moments will turn around for us.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/mariners-likely-to-start-lachlan-wales-against-melbourne-city/news-story/7f413ad58ca87106c91197d17bdc976c
GO


Select a Forum....























Inside Sport


Search