The Pecking Order Championship

The Pecking Order Championship

Author
aussieshorter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Who is the best club in Australian football? This is something I have shared elsewhere, but thought it might be of interest on 442 as well. Enjoy!

Welcome to The Pecking Order Championship (TPOC) – a football competition that Australian clubs have been competing in for decades without realizing it!

The Pecking Order Championship is an informal way of determining Australia’s best football club, based on the concept of the Unofficial Football World Championships.

Here’s how it works: TPOC pitches real Australian football clubs into a continuous series of boxing-style title matches. The winner of a TPOC Title match becomes the new title-holder, and Australian TPO Champion.  In other words, the Champion remains the Champion until they are beaten.

TPOC lineage goes back to the first National Soccer League in 1977, when Hakoah were crowned inaugural NSL Champions, but more importantly, became the first TPO Champion.

The TPOC title then bounced around the NSL until 23rd March 1991, when the TPOC holder -  Sydney United - lost their final regular game of the season to St George 3-0.  The reason that game is so important, is because it was St George’s last game in the NSL as they were subsequently relegated, taking the TPOC title with them to the New South Wales State League.  And there it remained, aside from a couple of short stints in the NSW 2nd Division, until 2017.  It was an FFA Cup Quarter Final on 20th September 2017 when Blacktown City lost to Western Sydney Wanderers in a penalty shootout, that the TPOC Title finally found its way back to the top tier of football in Australia.  And there it remains…for now.

In that time since 1977, over 1,100 TPOC Title matches have been played (408 in the NSL, 680 in NSW competitions, and the remaining in the A-League and FFA Cup), and the title has been passed around 47 different clubs.  It has, at some point, been held by most clubs to have played in the NSL up to 1991, many NSW State League clubs, and an increasing number of A-League clubs. The notable absence from the pre-1992 NSL era is Footscray JUST, who played in 23 TPOC Title matches from 1978 to 1989 without a single win. 

TPOC is all about having a bit of fun, but there are a few simple rules used to determine who gets to be The Pecking Order Champions:
  1. A TPOC Title match is any official competitive game involving the current TPOC title-holder.  According to those in charge (us!) this does not include pre-season or friendly games.
  2. The outcome of a game is decided by its ultimate outcome, including extra time and penalties.

The Pecking Order Championship is also operated as an all-time ranking system (not to be confused with TPO Rankings).  Clubs are awarded one ranking point for every title match victory (either as holder or challenger). No points are awarded for draws. 

As of the start of 2018, Blacktown City from NSW sits well on top of TPOC rankings table with 114 points, with the closest A-League club (Sydney FC) in 22nd spot on the ladder with 12 points.

There will only ever be a single TPO Champion at any point in time, but we recognized that the vast majority of Australian football clubs play at the grassroots level and will never have a chance to play a TPOC Title match (NSW being the exception to date!).  For that reason, we have also created a State-specific TPOC for each State Football Federation.  The rules for these State-based TPOCs are the same, except that a title match can only ever be contested between two clubs from that state (A-League clubs do not count in this case).  The inaugural Champion for each of these competitions was determined by the 2004 State Knockout competition (or Grand Final in the absence of a State Cup):

Queensland – Brisbane City
New South Wales – Sydney Crescent Star
Northern NSW – Broadmeadow Magic
Victoria – Green Gully
South Australia – Metrostars
Western Australia – Swan IC
Tasmania – Launceston City
ACT – Canberra FC
Northern Territory – Darwin Olympic (Inaugural Champion in 2006)

Summary of the Current TPOC Title Holders:

Rankings and Recent Games for The Pecking Order Championship:

Bender Parma
Bender Parma
Hacker
Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)

I like this idea.  

is there a history of this anywhere, so i can look back at some of the old TPOC reigns and clubs who held the title.  Especially the state title would be interesting.    
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Banger of an idea .Will promote this as much as possible.

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Bender Parma - 17 Feb 2018 8:32 AM
I like this idea.  

is there a history of this anywhere, so i can look back at some of the old TPOC reigns and clubs who held the title.  Especially the state title would be interesting.    

The history is in a file on my computer at the moment after going through 40 years of results! 

I intend to have it all in one place so you can dig into the detail, but for now I can answer questions if you have any?  I'd upload the full list of games, but with over 1,100 Title matches having been played it's a long list.

There are a couple of State-based Title matches this weekend, with Croydon Kings playing tonight and Lions FC playing tomorrow.

RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Tried to do this for the A-League about a year ago (never raised a thread - was stuck in development phase).  Every season just ended up with the Premiers taking hold of it for the season which was a bit of a let down :(

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

RedshirtWilly - 17 Feb 2018 11:31 PM
Tried to do this for the A-League about a year ago (never raised a thread - was stuck in development phase).  Every season just ended up with the Premiers taking hold of it for the season which was a bit of a let down :(

That's what I expected, and it may be the case for a while now that the Title is with Sydney FC.  Hopefully the FFA Cup throws up a chance for an NPL club to take it back.  Otherwise we may be waiting for the introduction of promotion/relegation.

And while we wait for that, we have the State-based titles!

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

The QLD and SA sub-titles both changed hands over the weekend with Lions FC losing to Olympic FC, and Croydon Kings being upset by Para Hills Knights.

This weekend we have a number of the Title holders in action:

- Sydney FC vs Western Sydney Wanderers
- Moreton Bay United vs Olympic FC
- Bentleigh Greens vs Dandenong Thunder
- Para Hills Knights vs Adelaide Olympic
- Bayswater City vs Balcatta

Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Nice work.

I wonder though whether the title should stay with St George when they go down in 91. I'm fuzzy on the details but they went down from 10th in a 14 team comp. If it was financial issues as I think - I feel like this probably disqualifies them from being a title holder, and it should go back to the no 1 contender or something (like in boxing when a boxer doesn't meet the requirements to defend his title). This then prevents the weird situation of the title being in the NSW state leagues until 2017 (seeing we did have actual NSL title holders).

Anyway, feel free to disregard. It's just a bit of fun so don't let me spoil it :)
Edited
6 Years Ago by Kamaryn
aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

Kamaryn - 20 Feb 2018 11:46 PM
Nice work.

I wonder though whether the title should stay with St George when they go down in 91. I'm fuzzy on the details but they went down from 10th in a 14 team comp. If it was financial issues as I think - I feel like this probably disqualifies them from being a title holder, and it should go back to the no 1 contender or something (like in boxing when a boxer doesn't meet the requirements to defend his title). This then prevents the weird situation of the title being in the NSW state leagues until 2017 (seeing we did have actual NSL title holders).

Anyway, feel free to disregard. It's just a bit of fun so don't let me spoil it :)

It's an interesting one, and I see your point.  But my preference is to leave the title with the club who wins it unless doing so would mean the TPOC ceases to exist.  For example, in ACT on the final day of the season the FFA COE defeated Belconnen United to take the ACT TPOC title.  That was the last game for the FFA COE before they were shut down, which would mean the title couldn't be passed on.  In that case the title reverts to Belconnen.

In St George's case, they continued playing and were defending their title against different opponents than the season before.

To be honest, I think this makes it a little more interesting as well!  

Although the UFWC doesn't have the same issue, if you follow the path you can see that it definitely goes to some countries who are no where close to the top nations - https://www.ufwc.co.uk/results/

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

ozfootball formerly ozsoccer had heaps of stats on games who scored but the site does not seem to be responding.... anuone know if its still going or just down for a bit.

http://www.ozfootball.net  is the link address
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

^^^^^^

Tracked it down

use this link http://pandora.nla.gov.au/tep/148162

The page will look like this

OzFootball was selected for preservation by the National Library of Australia. This title is scheduled to be re-archived regularly. The publisher's site may provide more current information.
Archived 10 Sep 2017 00:01
Archived 10 Sep 2016 00:02
Archived 10 Sep 2015 00:22
Archived 10 Sep 2014 09:59
Say you click the first mentioned archived item you will get the following page

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/148162/20170910-0001/www.ozfootball.net/index.shtml

From here click on teh links at the top to get an idea of how it works click on "Domestic" and then A-League to get a feel of how the site works..

This site is one of the greatest labours of love for our game I have ever seen... all NSL games scores and often crowds, the teams that played who scored where they played etc many state league matches ...

Enjoy if you have never seen it before...

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

I've used that site for a lot of the NSL data, although there are some years with errors (mostly with the dates).

It's a great resource and I can appreciate the huge effort those behind it must have gone to.

thewitness
thewitness
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

@aussieshorter.

If the title, especially a State TPOC Title by chance goes to a community league based club through a Cup competition, does that mean you will have to keep track of the results from some obscure league to know where the State title lies? e.g. If Gold Coast City were the Qld Title holder when they lost to Surfers Paradise Apollo in the FFA Cup in 2016, would you then be forced to track he Gold Coast Premier League results? 
aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

thewitness - 21 Feb 2018 3:22 PM
@aussieshorter.

If the title, especially a State TPOC Title by chance goes to a community league based club through a Cup competition, does that mean you will have to keep track of the results from some obscure league to know where the State title lies? e.g. If Gold Coast City were the Qld Title holder when they lost to Surfers Paradise Apollo in the FFA Cup in 2016, would you then be forced to track he Gold Coast Premier League results? 

Yeah that's exactly what would happen.  Our intention with the Rankings is to add all of those leagues/clubs to the database anyway, so it wouldn't add much extra effort.

It also makes those FFA Cup qualification games more interesting!

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

Bentleigh Greens has held onto the VIC TPOC with a 3-1 win over Dandenong Thunder overnight.

Still to come this weekend:

- Sydney FC vs Western Sydney Wanderers
- Moreton Bay United vs Olympic FC
- Para Hills Knights vs Adelaide Olympic
- Bayswater City vs Balcatta

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

aussieshorter - 21 Feb 2018 3:28 PM

Yeah that's exactly what would happen.  Our intention with the Rankings is to add all of those leagues/clubs to the database anyway, so it wouldn't add much extra effort.

Does this mean that you will be able to add FNSW NPL3 to the rankings you post on the 442 forum?  I have been interested in where they fit in for a while but haven't wanted to suggest it because it would mean more work for you.
aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

Gyfox - 23 Feb 2018 12:44 PM

Does this mean that you will be able to add FNSW NPL3 to the rankings you post on the 442 forum?  I have been interested in where they fit in for a while but haven't wanted to suggest it because it would mean more work for you.

I've already collected the data that will let us add these NSW leagues.  The problem is that excel can only handle so much processing, so the website is still in development that will let me share the expanded rankings (side note - if anyone has website development skills and is willing to help, get in touch). The database will have over 1,000 clubs, go back 40 years and include over 100,000 games. Watch this space.

- NPL
- NPL2
- NPL3
- State League 1
- Illawarra Premier League
- Illawarra District League
- Bankstown
- Blacktown
- Eastern Suburbs
- Gladesville-Hornsby
- Granville District
- Northern Suburbs
- St George
- Southern Districts
- Sutherland
- Nepean
- Manly-Warringah
- Sydney Amateur
- Macarthur

Edited
6 Years Ago by aussieshorter
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

aussieshorter - 23 Feb 2018 1:00 PM
Gyfox - 23 Feb 2018 12:44 PM

I've already collected the data that will let us add these NSW leagues.  The problem is that excel can only handle so much processing, so the website is still in development that will let me share the expanded rankings. The database will have over 1,000 clubs, go back 40 years and include over 100,000 games. Watch this space.

- NPL
- NPL2
- NPL3
- State League 1
- Illawarra Premier League
- Illawarra District League
- Bankstown
- Blacktown
- Eastern Suburbs
- Gladesville-Hornsby
- Granville District
- Northern Suburbs
- St George
- Southern Districts
- Sutherland
- Nepean
- Manly-Warringah
- Sydney Amateur
- Macarthur

That is a fantastic job you are doing.  I await the next reveal.

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

Sydney FC, Bayswater City and Olympic FC all retained their titles over the weekend, but Para Hills Knights lost in their first title defense to Adelaide Olympic.

Upcoming Title matches:

Newcastle Jets vs Sydney FC
Olympic FC vs SWQ Thunder
Oakleigh Cannonns vs Bentleigh Greens
Sturt Lions vs Adelaide Olympic
Bayswater City vs Joondalup United

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

RedshirtWilly - 17 Feb 2018 11:31 PM

I did this for the A-League a couple of years ago. I still have the spreadsheet.

Ultimate
Ultimate
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

I've got to ask. What happens if a NPL title goes into the A-league, either through the FFA cup or promotion later on?
Do we also end up with unified titles if a team gets two titles at once?
aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

Ultimate - 27 Feb 2018 10:18 AM

I've got to ask. What happens if a NPL title goes into the A-league, either through the FFA cup or promotion later on?
Do we also end up with unified titles if a team gets two titles at once?

The State-based titles are only contested when two clubs from that same state play each other, so A-League clubs can't hold those titles. The overall title can go anywhere though, so if an NPL side takes it from an A-League club in the FFA Cup, they might hold two titles at once.

That actually happened for a number of years from 1992 onwards where the NSW holder was also the overall title holder. When Blacktown City lost to WSW in the FFA Cup last year, they lost the overall title but kept the NSW title (until they lost it to another NSW club).

TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Love the idea. Nice bit of fun!

Hope all the hard work is paying off for you. I love looking at the data!
aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

We made the focus of the show this week The Pecking Order Championship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ix4Xm8exuQ

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

With their 2-1 win over Sydney FC tonight, Newcastle Jets become The Pecking Order Champions for the first time! They are the 48th club in Australia to ever hold the title.

Sydney FC had held the title since November 2017 and since then defended it successfully for 14 games (winning 11 of them). Their run of successful title defenses saw them rise to 19th overall on the TPOC ladder (equal with Heidelberg United FC).

Newcastle will defend their title for the first time away to Wellington Phoenix FC next round.

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

Here are the current TPO Champions going into the weekend's fixtures:

Upcoming TPOC Title matches:
Overall -   Wellington Phoenix vs Newcastle Jets

(VIC)    Bentleigh Greens vs Northcote City
(TAS)    Hobart Zebras vs South Hobart
(SA)    MetroStars vs Adelaide Olympic
(WA)    Bayswater City vs Inglewood United
(NSW)    Sydney United 58 vs Blacktown City
(QLD)    Olympic FC vs Cairns FC
(NNSW)    Lake Macquarie City vs Broadmeadow Magic

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

aussieshorter - 16 Mar 2018 10:16 AM
Here are the current TPO Champions going into the weekend's fixtures:

Upcoming TPOC Title matches:
Overall -   Wellington Phoenix vs Newcastle Jets

(VIC)    Bentleigh Greens vs Northcote City
(TAS)    Hobart Zebras vs South Hobart
(SA)    MetroStars vs Adelaide Olympic
(WA)    Bayswater City vs Inglewood United
(NSW)    Sydney United 58 vs Blacktown City
(QLD)    Olympic FC vs Cairns FC
(NNSW)    Lake Macquarie City vs Broadmeadow Magic

Sydney back on top! I just wanted to bump this thread.

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro

vanlassen - 9 Apr 2018 2:44 PM
aussieshorter - 16 Mar 2018 10:16 AM

Sydney back on top! I just wanted to bump this thread.

Yep, back in the hands of Sydney FC. The State-based titles have also moved around a bit.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search