E-League outrated the A-League

E-League outrated the A-League

Author
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Beyond interesting article in smh. How much can be read out of these figures ????? don't know but tis interesting..

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffas-eleague-proves-a-bigger-hit-than-aleague-games-20180216-h0w87y.html

Gamers using A-League teams while playing FIFA 18 is proving more popular viewing than actual A-League matches after the launch of Football Federation Australia's E-League attracted a larger audience than the average ratings for the competition. 

The FFA dipped its toe into the rapidly growing world of competitive video gaming, E-Sports, with the launch of its E-League on Thursday night. It attracted an audience reach 16 per cent higher than the average A-League match, raising questions over the direction of sports broadcasting. 

Over more than four hours, gamers representing each A-League club played against one another as part of a FIFA 18 competition broadcasted live online. The E-League's opening night attracting 138,000 viewers on streaming network, Twitch, as well as Fox Sports' website, with figures from that broadcaster yet to be confirmed. The shock success of the E-League meant it had a broadcast reach well above the average A-League audience on Fox Sports network this season, which has dropped to 119,000, according to the FFA.

"We were really pleased. You never know what you're going to get, 138,000 people watched part of the show on Twitch and we haven't got the Fox Sports stats yet," FFA's head of commercial, digital and marketing, Luke Bould, said. 

While its audience reach was higher than A-League games, it fared similarly to the competition on social media and attracted 1.62 million impressions to the average of 1.7 million for A-League matches. The E-League attracted a larger social media following than any other streamed event covered by the FFA, including major press events such as the unveiling of Socceroos' new head coach, Bert van Marwijk, a fortnight ago.

"That's the strongest thing we've ever done in terms of social platforms, whether it's live press conferences, it's by far the strongest thing we've ever done," Bould said. The FFA, in conjunction with EA sports, are dove-tailing off the success and popularity of the FIFA video game series to help raise the profile of the A-League with a younger audience.

"We're being entrepreneurial, we're taking a risk. We have to be there and for us it's a strategic advantage, there's a million plus people playing this game and we don't have enough fans of the A-League. We can try and influence them through this media," Bould said. 

Under the E-League regulations, each of the 10 A-League clubs selects one gamer to represent it on each of the two most popular consoles, Sony's Playstation and the Microsoft X-Box. The representatives must use at least three players frome their respective A-League club's in their FIFA Ultimate Teams. Several of the representatives of each clubs are E-Sports "athletes" who earn considerable salaries from playing FIFA. 

The popularity of competitive video gaming has soared internationally and while the FFA are unsure exactly of its impact on the A-League, moved quickly to seize the competitive advantage of the FIFA series over rival codes and hope it will provide a much needed boost to the profile of the A-League. They admit they can not predict its impact. 

"It's not a fad, it's not going away, but it will change and evolve vary quickly," Bould said. "It's absolutely an opportunity to put the A-League brand and some A-League players in front of a new audience. I don't see it replacing sport but I see it growing. I don't think we'll be in a position where we won't watch people running on football pitches – certainly not in my lifetime – I hope, and I believe it will be complimentary, but nobody knows where it will end up."

The E-League will also serve as qualification for the FIFA eWorld Cup. E-Sports has been flagged to enter the 2024 Olympics in Paris. Western Sydney Wanderers lead the E-League after the first round. 

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Wowee

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 17 Feb 2018 12:07 AM
Wowee

E-League, Matildas, A-League

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Haha. amazing.So e -League FIFA outrates HAL,AWFL & AFLX.
Foxsports actually showed some highlights during pregame for WSW v NJ.
This could be a real wild card that turns sports inside out.
Who knows but couldn't there be an e-league game shown on the big screen at half time?
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

"the average A-League audience on Fox Sports network this season, which has dropped to 119,000, according to the FFA".

So is this a typo or does it include Fox streaming or something?

Beaten by Eldar

Edited
6 Years Ago by Eldar
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

If the FFA wants to get involved let them, but if they think they are going to convert new fans to the A-league they are mistaken. All they are doing is gathering gamers to the E-league. Its not football Mr Gallop, end of story. 

Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

This is the future in this fat lazy society for sport and why China sucks at football aha
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Eldar - 17 Feb 2018 3:07 AM
"the average A-League audience on Fox Sports network this season, which has dropped to 119,000, according to the FFA".

So is this a typo or does it include Fox streaming or something?

probably the average peak audience
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Coverdale - 17 Feb 2018 7:13 AM
This is the future in this fat lazy society for sport and why China sucks at football aha

I'm guessing you're pretty old by that comment.

Not all people can play football. There is nothing wrong with a virtual sim. It engages the younger generation for a reason and i dont understand your hate. Its a billion dollar market.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

I don’t understand how e league is popular but I’m happy it is. I’ve gotten every fifa since 2006 and I can’t get bored playing it to much in one go let alone watching others play. Anyways good luck with it
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Melbcityguy - 17 Feb 2018 7:50 AM
I don’t understand how e league is popular but I’m happy it is. I’ve gotten every fifa since 2006 and I can’t get bored playing it to much in one go let alone watching others play. Anyways good luck with it

You literally contradicted yourself lol. Thats the  its so popular.

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

What this means for the code is still up in the air. 138,000 viewers (surprisingly I was one of those) and 1.65m internet impressions is impressive especially with the same level of marketing real football gets ... will it go up or down from here is the next question?

Opponents of this are missing the point (especially Ray Gatt who was leading a one-man Twitter crusade against it on the night) - eSports are already a thing and FIFA football already a big part of it. The FFA would be negligent not to invest in this, arguably they’re actually a little late to the party already.

What it all means and how it will work are best left to smart people under the age of 30, it should complement football and sit on platforms owned by Microsoft and Sony and reach a massive Australian playing base who are football literate but often oblivious to the HAL. A bit like the grassroots playing base really.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Waz
Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

I was being facetious. I started playing fifa in 96 before the aleague was even a twitch in old Frankie’s nutsack. Still don’t know why anyone would watch someone else play though...
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Coverdale - 17 Feb 2018 9:38 AM
I was being facetious. I started playing fifa in 96 before the aleague was even a twitch in old Frankie’s nutsack. Still don’t know why anyone would watch someone else play though...

You dont speak for everyone.

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Waz - 17 Feb 2018 8:30 AM
What this means for the code is still up in the air. 138,000 viewers (surprisingly I was one of those) and 1.65m internet impressions is impressive especially with the same level of marketing real football gets ... will it go up or down from here is the next question?

Opponents of this are missing the point (especially Ray Gatt who was leading a one-man Twitter crusade against it on the night) - eSports are already a thing and FIFA football already a big part of it. The FFA would be negligent not to invest in this, arguably they’re actually a little late to the party already.

What it all means and how it will work are best left to smart people under the age of 30, it should complement football and sit on platforms owned by Microsoft and Sony and reach a massive Australian playing base who are football literate but often oblivious to the HAL. A bit like the grassroots playing base really.

This is the crux of it for me - if it's another revenue and media stream for football in this country (without prostituting ourselves like AFL has with AFLX) then this is an overwhelmingly positive thing. E-League fans don't need to be converted to A-League fans and vice versa - sure, it'd be nice if they were (and I'm sure there'll be some cross-pollination) but at the end of the day, if we get 125k people watching A-League games and then another 125k people watching E-League matches, then that is 250k people tuning into football content. This translates into brand recognition and advertising dollars for the FFA/A-League etc.

End of the day, the E-League is a very low cost investment to make - this is one of the VERY few things that the current FFA leadership have gotten right.
JAYFC (COOL DUDE)
JAYFC (COOL DUDE)
Under 7s
Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)Under 7s (16 reputation)

TheSelectFew - 17 Feb 2018 7:30 AM

I'm guessing you're pretty old by that comment.

Not all people can play football. There is nothing wrong with a virtual sim. It engages the younger generation for a reason and i dont understand your hate. Its a billion dollar market.

Simon Hill: He pressed that button with such poise there
Andy Harper: He was up like Dr Robotnix on Green Hill Zone
tomw
tomw
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

How is watching someone play FIFA lazier than watching someone play football?
Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro

^^^^ I was talking about playing Fifa live on tv instead of live actual football being played
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Coverdale - 17 Feb 2018 9:12 PM
^^^^ I was talking about playing Fifa live on tv instead of live actual football being played

It still smacks of jealousy and the fact they players have made more of their lives than someone on a computer calling them fat and lazy. You're just a prick.

Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

The E-League is a fantastic idea and a rare instance in recent times where the FFA got things right.
FIFA is immensely popular game and e-sports is a growing market, and is extremely popular in the younger demographics that will be vital to the support of football in the future. They may not be playing, but they will be watching. Converting them to A-League fans is another matter, but piquing their interest in the European leagues, famous players,  and national teams is definitely achieved through the FIFA games.

More importantly, this whole E-League is part of the wider array of alternative/contemporary media that can push our code into the spotlight. No longer can TV networks and print media have the same control over the flow of information accessed by the general public, and no longer can organizations with agendas successfully plant them in their puppets and mouthpieces as easily as they could a couple of decades ago. By being broadcast on Twitch, the E-League is safe from being sabotaged, drowned out, or playing second fiddle in the way that the A-League (and more gruesomely, the NSL) have dealt with due to the nature of the Australian media. Ironically the E-League is also far more accessible than most of the A-League, too. As long as you have an internet connection you can watch it live - and legally - on an easy-to-find platform (and its even in HD, which the A-League on FTA is not!).

Best of all, this is something that football has a distinct advantage on. E-Sports is big in this country but no other sports code has the potential or capacity to compare to the E-League. The video games for other sports are either limited or non-existent. None are as popular as FIFA. Certain organizations (not naming names, but we all know which one) that would try to emulate this to take wind away from the E-League would be fighting an uphill battle. This is a battleground that football can win.

Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro

Jealousy??? Aha true they’re doing more on a computer than me that’s for sure
Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Holding Bidfielder - 17 Feb 2018 11:00 PM
The E-League is a fantastic idea and a rare instance in recent times where the FFA got things right.
FIFA is immensely popular game and e-sports is a growing market, and is extremely popular in the younger demographics that will be vital to the support of football in the future. They may not be playing, but they will be watching. Converting them to A-League fans is another matter, but piquing their interest in the European leagues, famous players,  and national teams is definitely achieved through the FIFA games.

More importantly, this whole E-League is part of the wider array of alternative/contemporary media that can push our code into the spotlight. No longer can TV networks and print media have the same control over the flow of information accessed by the general public, and no longer can organizations with agendas successfully plant them in their puppets and mouthpieces as easily as they could a couple of decades ago. By being broadcast on Twitch, the E-League is safe from being sabotaged, drowned out, or playing second fiddle in the way that the A-League (and more gruesomely, the NSL) have dealt with due to the nature of the Australian media. Ironically the E-League is also far more accessible than most of the A-League, too. As long as you have an internet connection you can watch it live - and legally - on an easy-to-find platform (and its even in HD, which the A-League on FTA is not!).

Best of all, this is something that football has a distinct advantage on. E-Sports is big in this country but no other sports code has the potential or capacity to compare to the E-League. The video games for other sports are either limited or non-existent. None are as popular as FIFA. Certain organizations (not naming names, but we all know which one) that would try to emulate this to take wind away from the E-League would be fighting an uphill battle. This is a battleground that football can win.

It is a competitive advantage we have over our sporting competitiors in Australia.
Good to see we are starting to use it!

Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro

“Fox Sports network this season, which has dropped to 119,000, according to the FFA”

Does this actually indicate we’re wasting our time with averages and the tv execs actually look at peak?
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Coverdale - 18 Feb 2018 12:47 PM
“Fox Sports network this season, which has dropped to 119,000, according to the FFA”Does this actually indicate we’re wasting our time with averages and the tv execs actually look at peak?

If you think they look at one particular thing you are a moron .They would look at peaks, averages, age groups the works. Unless they are incompetent. The only two relevant things for us (and available to us) are the averages.

Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro

What’s the second thing and thanks for the insult
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Coverdale - 18 Feb 2018 5:48 PM
What’s the second thing and thanks for the insult

Peaks and averages. I forgot to mention peaks.

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Extra time

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Its quite funny when the first artcle about the E-League popped up on here, you saw many people doubting the impact this would have and even ouright hating on the people representing the league. 

These so called nerds in the E League , (one who is actually an A-League player by the way) atrracted way more viewers than a so called professional football league.

Bozza1#
Bozza1#
Amateur
Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)

I’m starting to wonder just how bad is it going to get before the FFA actually does the something?
Bozza1#
Bozza1#
Amateur
Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)

It’s popular cause there’s no cap.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search