Van Marwijk reveals Socceroos recall on cards for jilted Jones

Author
Lightbulb
Hacker
Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Requiescat in pace!

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

No surprises. Ryan, Jones and Vukovic are comfortably our best keepers. 

ARNIE= LEGEND

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

RedKat - 21 Feb 2018 12:41 PM
No surprises. Ryan, Jones and Vukovic are comfortably our best keepers. 

Bingo - all three playing and playing well. Ryan is undisputed #1 (I feel filthy saying that) with his excellent performances in the EPL and both Jones and Vukovic are playing regularly at very good levels to do a sterling job if called upon.
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

walnuts - 21 Feb 2018 12:54 PM
RedKat - 21 Feb 2018 12:41 PM

Bingo - all three playing and playing well. Ryan is undisputed #1 (I feel filthy saying that) with his excellent performances in the EPL and both Jones and Vukovic are playing regularly at very good levels to do a sterling job if called upon.

I think it's pretty obvious why he didn't play under Ange. There were two better keepers available. Also, he was known to produce the odd howler. Between 2010 and July 2016 he played a grand total of 37 matches. Perhaps that was why?
Good luck to him now that he's turned it around, but don't go re-inventing the past to pretend he was hard done by.

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

He was hard done by when playing regularly at a good league while Ryan and Langerak were both benched and he still wasn’t even getting called into the squads

ARNIE= LEGEND

lebo_roo
lebo_roo
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

RedKat - 21 Feb 2018 3:28 PM
He was hard done by when playing regularly at a good league while Ryan and Langerak were both benched and he still wasn’t even getting called into the squads

Bullshit. He reportedly rejected a recall plus he has only had one year of consistent football .

Peaty
Peaty
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (201 reputation)Hardcore Fan (201 reputation)Hardcore Fan (201 reputation)Hardcore Fan (201 reputation)Hardcore Fan (201 reputation)Hardcore Fan (201 reputation)Hardcore Fan (201 reputation)Hardcore Fan (201 reputation)Hardcore Fan (201 reputation)Hardcore Fan (201 reputation)Hardcore Fan (201 reputation)

lebo_roo - 21 Feb 2018 3:42 PM
RedKat - 21 Feb 2018 3:28 PM

Bullshit. He reportedly rejected a recall plus he has only had one year of consistent football .

His party claimed that they didn't do anything of the sort If I remember correctly.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

clockwork orange - 21 Feb 2018 2:42 PM

I think it's pretty obvious why he didn't play under Ange. There were two better keepers available. Also, he was known to produce the odd howler. Between 2010 and July 2016 he played a grand total of 37 matches. Perhaps that was why?
Good luck to him now that he's turned it around, but don't go re-inventing the past to pretend he was hard done by.

Pretty much.

A 36 year old career reserve keeper known for his, at best, inconsistent national team performances had his first good full season last year(?). It's not like he was never given a chance either.

Is currently our 2nd or 3rd best performing keeper so sure, bring him along for the party as he probably deserves it professionally and personally and it's a nice book-end but words like jilted and shunned are just silly..

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Davide82 - 21 Feb 2018 4:43 PM

Pretty much.

A 36 year old career reserve keeper known for his, at best, inconsistent national team performances had his first good full season last year(?). It's not like he was never given a chance either.

Is currently our 2nd or 3rd best performing keeper so sure, bring him along for the party as he probably deserves it professionally and personally and it's a nice book-end but words like jilted and shunned are just silly..

His inconsistency might be attributed to personal problems. I think the fairest thing to do is to disregard those years from a career perspective. Nobody could be blamed for not really giving a crap about football in such awful personal circumstances.

As for the words, 'jilted' and 'shunned', it depends entirely on whether or not Ange made overtures to him during the WCQ campaign. He was, by leaps and bounds, Australia's best performing goalkeeper then. And age really doesn't matter at all. Just performance. Good enough means old enough (or young enough).
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Hopefully Ryan can bring his club form to the national team. J League is starting so I expect Langerak to be in the frame. Jones is a good back up. I still fear howlers by all of our keepers. 
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

The only Australian to have won a major European league title this year was the most noticeable absence from the Socceroos squad, but Feyenoord goalkeeper Brad Jones turned down the chance return to the national team, it is understood. 

Fairfax Media understands the 35-year-old was set to be selected for the upcoming World Cup qualifier against Saudi Arabia, a friendly against Brazil and the 2017 Confederations Cup on the back of his form in the Eredivisie, but he sought an assurance he would be the first-choice goalkeeper before making himself available.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/feyenoord-goalkeeper-brad-jones-turned-down-socceroos-recall-for-world-cup-qualifier-20170523-gwbdxi.html

maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

inala brah - 21 Feb 2018 5:39 PM

The only Australian to have won a major European league title this year was the most noticeable absence from the Socceroos squad, but Feyenoord goalkeeper Brad Jones turned down the chance return to the national team, it is understood. 

Fairfax Media understands the 35-year-old was set to be selected for the upcoming World Cup qualifier against Saudi Arabia, a friendly against Brazil and the 2017 Confederations Cup on the back of his form in the Eredivisie, but he sought an assurance he would be the first-choice goalkeeper before making himself available.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/feyenoord-goalkeeper-brad-jones-turned-down-socceroos-recall-for-world-cup-qualifier-20170523-gwbdxi.html

This has been brought up a bunch but we don't actually know the truth. After the reports came out, Jones' camp denied the claims and iirc said the NT setup hadn't even contacted them about Jones being selected.
Lightbulb
Lightbulb
Hacker
Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)

Jones camp reject claims he demanded Roos starting spot

Requiescat in pace!

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

New boss. Clean slate. 

Even Holmen and Wilkshire have mentioned Socceroos ambition and that they didnt retire from NT. 

Meredith thinks and I agree he was judged on his age. Ange ran the build for the future thing too far. 

Edited
6 Years Ago by scott21
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

maxxie - 21 Feb 2018 7:39 PM

This has been brought up a bunch but we don't actually know the truth. After the reports came out, Jones' camp denied the claims and iirc said the NT setup hadn't even contacted them about Jones being selected.

The rumour definitely sounds true though. Jones became no. 1 at Feyenoord and suddenly thought he was hot shit. I'm glad Ange ignored him. I would take Langerak over him any day. Jones was always a very shaky keeper, and  I don't believe you suddenly become good in your mid-30s. I think his team's dominance probably flatters him. 

Edited
6 Years Ago by Derider
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Derider - 21 Feb 2018 7:52 PM

The rumour definitely sounds true though. Jones became no. 1 at Feyenoord and suddenly thought he was hot shit. I'm glad Ange ignored him. I would take Langerak over him any day. Jones was always a very shaky keeper, and  I don't believe you suddenly become good in your mid-30s. I think his team's dominance probably flatters him. 

I've watched enough Feyenoord games and that is simply false, he has been fantastic and fought his way from what would have been 3rd choice keeper to starting week in week out. He out trained and performed keepers at a top club, he didn't fluke his way into it and look good due to being on a dominant team.

But alas your only proof to this is to question his character even though he denied it and you have no proof to the contrary. The only reason he wasn't selected is because Ange would have thought he was too old and his time was done as we have seen with many players who probably are good enough to be in the 23, Wilkinson being one.
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Not needed.
3rd choice keeper should go to a guy that is projected to be a 1st or 2nd choice keeper at the following WC.

Birighitti, Izzo etc

Jones makes quite a few mistakes like this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4z5KubwzRw
If I must
If I must
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)Hardcore Fan (208 reputation)

chondro - 21 Feb 2018 8:10 PM
Not needed. 3rd choice keeper should go to a guy that is projected to be a 1st or 2nd choice keeper at the following WC.Birighitti, Izzo etcJones makes quite a few mistakes like this...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4z5KubwzRw

But Jones is the 2nd choice keeper in my view. Langerak might do enough when the J-league starts to show his undoubted talent can be put into performances, but unless he does, I think Jones is our second best keeper. Then it becomes very close for the third keeper, probably one of Langerak, Vukovic, Birighitti or Izzo depending one exactly what you want in the third keeper and it probably will not matter as they will not play anyway.
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Seems obvious.. Ange wanted ball-playing keepers. But I don't know if Jones is significantly inferior in that regard to Vukovic, Federici etc.

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

chondro - 21 Feb 2018 8:10 PM
Not needed. 3rd choice keeper should go to a guy that is projected to be a 1st or 2nd choice keeper at the following WC.Birighitti, Izzo etcJones makes quite a few mistakes like this...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4z5KubwzRw

Normally i would agree with you that it would be an up and coming next gen keeper but given the age of the incumbent im not sure its as important at this stage. 
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Surely Vukovic is ahead of LangerKalac by now? Not sure I understand how keepers can be selected when they are sitting in the bench week in week out. How often has LangerKalac had to face pressure situations in the last two years? Hardly ever.
Edited
6 Years Ago by clockwork orange
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

clockwork orange - 22 Feb 2018 11:35 AM
Surely Vukovic is ahead of LangerKalac by now? Not sure I understand how keepers can be selected when they are sitting in the bench week in week out. How often has LangerKalac had to face pressure situations in the last two years? Hardly ever.

Going into a world cup i totally agree. If you aren't first choice at your club playing week in week out you shouldn't be getting on the plane
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Ryan currently No 1 EPL.
Jones No 2 Eredivise

For No 3
Vukovic or Langerak.
Vukovic in Belgian Pro League.
Langerak was No 1 for Stuttgart in Bundesliga 2 last season 
For me Vukovic only ahead because he is starting.
If Langerak is No 1 at his new club in Japan, he will go to the WC.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

People forgetting that we took a young keeper to the Confeds Cup that could barely get a game at Valencia over a guy who was in career best form? More I hear about Ange the more im realising the socceroos was just an experiment to him...didn't care for results at all.

The top coaches are starting to show Ange had no idea what he was doing.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

He was... Confed Cup should have been his swansong..
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

Derider - 21 Feb 2018 7:52 PM

i dont think it would need to be an ego thing.  if you just worked your way into the team after spending years in the wilderness why would you risk it to go sit on the bench somewhere?

it's almost a universal constant that socceroos duty causes problems at the club - form slumps and demotions follow most players that take the call up for australian NT duties.

i dont hold it against him. i believe this story because it makes the most sense. it just doesnt seem worth the worry. i doubt ange would have ignored him completely. 

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

@jas 88. I think you’ll find that the reason Ryan wasn’t getting game time at Valencia before the Confeds Cup was because he was at Genk ....

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Do those who think keepers should be selected because they are playing for a top club or have won a championship also believe Redmayne is the best keeper in Australia?
jas88
jas88
World Class

clockwork orange - 23 Feb 2018 7:50 AM
@jas 88. I think you’ll find that the reason Ryan wasn’t getting game time at Valencia before the Confeds Cup was because he was at Genk ....

So Belgium > Winning Eredivise team then yeah?
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

jas88 - 23 Feb 2018 10:44 AM
clockwork orange - 23 Feb 2018 7:50 AM

So Belgium > Winning Eredivise team then yeah?

Maybe not, but facts > hyperbole.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search