FIFA announces Terms of Reference for Congress Review Working Group

FIFA announces Terms of Reference for Congress Review Working Group

Author
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
@ Bohemia

It says a lot about the States right, most of them are in a mess and can’t sort their own affairs out let alone look nationally.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
bohemia - 7 Apr 2018 7:47 AM
One thing I will say of Cicarello. I played football with his son 20 years back. This bloke had our team's respect as teenagers. One match he was watching on the sidelines punching a dart, towards the end he gets another one out and lights it off the dart he already has. Just needed it. Possibly not relevant to the congress thing.

What's Bonita's background? Journo or something else? Every time I've read something from her I've been impressed. If she had some background in law or business I'd have her on a football board any day.

Her background is football, corporate affairs and writing.  She loves the game - obsessed would be an accurate summation.  Talks about it in person the same way she writes about it - considered, educated and passionate.  Worked at the FFA for a fair while until she was 'exited' because she was asking too many questions about the corrupt nature of our bid.  That she was pushed out, then smeared, by those running football says more about their attitude than her character.

She SHOULD 100% be involved in running the game in Australia.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Waz - 6 Apr 2018 7:56 AM
@rodstazzz It’s very clear who appoints the Chair, and it’s not the FFA. In fact FIFA has gone as far as specifying there must be “no ties” to the FFA - something it didn’t do for any other section of the game which is a bit of a slap for lowy. Like you though, I wish FIFA had just appointed someone - I’d rather they worked to ensure FIFAs will is done, that’s the only hope we have for change here.

The chair has to know the local landscape and FIFA didn't have the knowledge or time to seek out and appoint anyone suitable.  Much better to provide a guideline then let the locals do it.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ Benjamin

As Bonita points out in her article, it may be difficult to find a local. The Chair must be voted unanimously which is actually a good thing, but will be challenging.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

Waz - 7 Apr 2018 10:22 AM
@ Benjamin As Bonita points out in her article, it may be difficult to find a local. The Chair must be voted unanimously which is actually a good thing, but will be challenging.

As I said before...  David Crawford.  Can't think of anyone having any reason not to support him for the gig.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Any other nominations? I can't see much better.
Waz
Waz
Legend

I recon the FFA would oppose Crawford
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

Waz - 7 Apr 2018 12:21 PM
I recon the FFA would oppose Crawford

Would put them in a very tricky spot though... 

"Why do you oppose this figure who is so respected within Australian sports administration?"
"Well, the thing is...  He produced the report that brought us to power, and then we completely ignored all of his findings..."
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ Benjamin

👍😂
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Benjamin - 7 Apr 2018 9:28 AM

Her background is football, corporate affairs and writing.  She loves the game - obsessed would be an accurate summation.  Talks about it in person the same way she writes about it - considered, educated and passionate.  Worked at the FFA for a fair while until she was 'exited' because she was asking too many questions about the corrupt nature of our bid.  That she was pushed out, then smeared, by those running football says more about their attitude than her character.

She SHOULD 100% be involved in running the game in Australia.

There are so many disgusting examples of how shifty the FFA have been from day one and this is just another of the many out there. What I can't believe is how people still to this day continue to back such a shit and shifty organisation just because of their opinion that the A-league is still getting bigger crowds then the NSL did. 
Football in Australia would be so much bigger then what it currently is if we had smart honest people running the game compared to shifty dodgy greedy people running it which is what we have. 

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

@ Benjamin As Bonita points out in her article, it may be difficult to find a local. The Chair must be voted unanimously which is actually a good thing, but will be challenging.

I think you underestimate our country's talent for lawyers.

I mean, fuck me, Saddam Hussein's lawyer was John Marsden from Australia.

We have the talent.

Btw, I don't recommend John Marsden. Dead, basically.
Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Another nomination if we want the new congress to be negotiated on "just terms"

Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
Waz
Waz
Legend

Moving away from the states and the chair, I wonder which two club reps will go forward - I hope Griffin recuses himself, Ive nothing against him personally but it would be like sending a bear in to a china shop, there are deals to be done here and Griffins not really seen as a deal maker.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Benjamin - 7 Apr 2018 10:56 AM

As I said before...  David Crawford.  Can't think of anyone having any reason not to support him for the gig.

(start of the meeting)

*audible sigh*
"well fuck me, look where we're all sitting. why would that be?"
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

bohemia - 7 Apr 2018 2:15 PM

I think you underestimate our country's talent for lawyers.

Maybe I could do it, I have also used cocaine?....and I have a passion for football.

Beaten by Eldar

Edited
6 Years Ago by Eldar
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Waz - 7 Apr 2018 2:27 PM
Moving away from the states and the chair, I wonder which two club reps will go forward - I hope Griffin recuses himself, Ive nothing against him personally but it would be like sending a bear in to a china shop, there are deals to be done here and Griffins not really seen as a deal maker.

As the main purpose of the working group is to do with Australian Football governance and operation I'd expect that foreign owners would step aside and leave Australian owners to it.  That would leave two of Wanderers, Victory and Perth to represent the views of the clubs.
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ Gyfox

That’s an interesting take. I’m not sure foreign ownership should necessarily rule a club out though, good governance is just good governance - it’s not nationalistic

And up until now governance has been in the hands of Australian nationals Frank and now Steven Lowy and an elected board of Australians. Is that really a basis for arguing Aussie’s know best?

Foreign owners have invested the same if not more than domestic owners, it’s a bit difficult to argue you can spend your money here but you can’t have a say in the running of the game.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Gyfox - 7 Apr 2018 3:01 PM

As the main purpose of the working group is to do with Australian Football governance and operation I'd expect that foreign owners would step aside and leave Australian owners to it.  That would leave two of Wanderers, Victory and Perth to represent the views of the clubs.

hard to see that FIFA would concur with that view
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Waz - 7 Apr 2018 3:14 PM
@ Gyfox That’s an interesting take. I’m not sure foreign ownership should necessarily rule a club out though, good governance is just good governance - it’s not nationalistic And up until now governance has been in the hands of Australian nationals Frank and now Steven Lowy and an elected board of Australians. Is that really a basis for arguing Aussie’s know best? Foreign owners have invested the same if not more than domestic owners, it’s a bit difficult to argue you can spend your money here but you can’t have a say in the running of the game.

I think its the same as any foreign owned company that operates here.  They operate within the legislative environment here and they are free to lobby who they want to but they have no role in deciding on changes.  That is a matter for Australians.
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ Gyfox

Foreign companies are involved in Australian affairs. The government actively consults with them, involves them in developing legislation, and they participate as stakeholders in the business community. Occurs at both state and federal level. So on that basis, foreign owners are in.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Waz - 7 Apr 2018 3:50 PM
@ Gyfox Foreign companies are involved in Australian affairs. The government actively consults with them, involves them in developing legislation, and they participate as stakeholders in the business community. Occurs at both state and federal level. So on that basis, foreign owners are in.

They don't decide anything though.  That is the politicians role.  The working group is effectively going to decide what happens in Australian football in the future.
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ Gyfox

Yes they do determine things.

Foreign Tekecommunication companies are involved in industry associations here and vote and elect board members who decide on crucial industry matters. Same for foreign banks. Same for foreign hotels. The list is endless, Brewdog, a Scottish company, is arriving here soon and will immediately join the irrelevant ndustry association that will drive industry legislation.

The FFA is an industry association, the industry just happens to be football. Not only should foreign owned clubs be involved in this process they should be encouraged, how else do we get the next CFG or Ledman type investment.

And it’s not like we’re trying to implement Australian law here, the governance we are seeking is to meet the requirements of a Swiss based organisation.

If I were a foreign owner I’d be saying “we’ve seen Australian governance and we don’t like it - it’s not transparent, open, inclusive, democratic and it’s certainly not compliant to international standards”.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Waz - 7 Apr 2018 4:20 PM
@ Gyfox Yes they do determine things. Foreign Tekecommunication companies are involved in industry associations here and vote and elect board members who decide on crucial industry matters. Same for foreign banks. Same for foreign hotels. The list is endless, Brewdog, a Scottish company, is arriving here soon and will immediately join the irrelevant ndustry association that will drive industry legislation. The FFA is an industry association, the industry just happens to be football. Not only should foreign owned clubs be involved in this process they should be encouraged, how else do we get the next CFG or Ledman type investment. And it’s not like we’re trying to implement Australian law here, the governance we are seeking is to meet the requirements of a Swiss based organisation. If I were a foreign owner I’d be saying “we’ve seen Australian governance and we don’t like it - it’s not transparent, open, inclusive, democratic and it’s certainly not compliant to international standards”.

I'd also be asking why "foreigners" are to be excluded except certain Israeli citizens who can own the whole process.

Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

agree
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

What's Bonita's background? Journo or something else? Every time I've read something from her I've been impressed. If she had some background in law or business I'd have her on a football board any day.

I recommend this, gives some of her history and a her character, also some good yarns

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/totalfootball/australias-world-cup-bid-failed/9564152

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Buggalugs 2.0 - 6 Apr 2018 5:32 PM
Bonitas article

http://footballtoday.news/features/the-ffa-congress-review-working-group-unpacked

part re the 4 Feds

What about the four state federations?

Just which of the four state federations will be selected to represent the nine will tilt the outcome of the Working Group one way or the other.

For a start, it will not include Queensland. The current President of Football Queensland is not standing for re-election which takes place at the end of this month. In fact: if there are any good people in Queensland wanting to run for the Board, they should nominate now! We understand nominations close this week.

The word is that it is unlikely to be the ACT in light of their exposure from last year’s FIFA/AFC visit. The NT is also unlikely to be included because of distance and relative size.

The WA President is said to have more positions on issues than the kama sutra on steroids, so the factions within the state federations may be somewhat wary of his inclusion.

When not nodding off, the Northern NSW President is known to be strongly aligned with FFA.

That leaves ex-Adelaide United CEO, and now Chairman of FFSA, Sam Ciccarello as both a power broker and peace-maker amongst the state federation presidents; possibly Tasmania to ensure small state representation; as well as the two biggest states, Victoria and NSW.

If that is the case, then the Congress Review Working Group will ultimately end-up recommending an FFA Congress more or less along the lines of what the A-League clubs and the PFA wanted in the first place - albeit with a few tweaks, improvments and some expansion of the original model.

And that gets us back to the questions for FFA: what has this all been about, what has taken so long, and why did we have to get to this point of FIFA/AFC intervention?

The state member federations have released their official response to FIFA's outlined Congress Working Group, nominating the four federations which will represent their interests.

Football New South Wales, Football Federation South Australia, Football Federation Victoria and Football West - representing Western Australia - will comprise the four seats given to state federations in the group. 

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

Change will happen with the chosen Feds to the board.

NSW, VIC, WA & SA.... 

Now lets hope they can move quickly to a new and reasonable model.

Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Midfielder - 9 Apr 2018 12:11 PM
Change will happen with the chosen Feds to the board.

NSW, VIC, WA & SA.... 

Now lets hope they can move quickly to a new and reasonable model.

Good thing that Northern NSW is not in the state reps. Rumour has it that the leaker during the last debacle was the head of Northern NSW.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Paul01 - 9 Apr 2018 4:48 PM
Midfielder - 9 Apr 2018 12:11 PM

Good thing that Northern NSW is not in the state reps. Rumour has it that the leaker during the last debacle was the head of Northern NSW.

NNSW are on all 4s for the FFA as it stands.

Waz
Waz
Legend

Nothings been said about how voting will work in this committee, apart from unanimously electing the chair. Is it a simple majority for voting, unanimous or some convoluted majority?

The camp for change/against the FFA is likely to be NSW, VIC, PFA plus the two HAL Reps. So 5 out of 9 votes.

All the rest against which is three votes (States and the FFA Rep) plus shall we say a floating Chair vote which is not possible to predict (but if done right the Chair should look a lot like Switzerland).

So a 5-3 in favour of change. That should work. Surely lol??
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search